• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like, Humble is planning to reduce number of games or increase price.

unknown.png

BigBoss

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I've been replaying the Assassin's Creeds series and I'm up to Unity. I remember it running not so great but I'm at a locked 60 fps during gameplay but the cutscenes are another story, I'm getting severe drops sometimes going below 30 fps. From what I can tell it mainly happens when the camera zooms in on a character, it looks like the hair is much more detailed during cutscenes than during gameplay. Anybody have similar issues? Is there a fix for this?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Age of Wonders III on Steam

Age of Wonders III is the long anticipated sequel to the award-winning strategy series. Delivering a unique mix of Empire Building, Role Playing and Warfare, Age of Wonders III offers the ultimate in turn-based fantasy strategy for veterans of the series and new players alike!

Oct 25, 2017
I take back what I said about EDF 4.1 before; it's certainly not dull and tedious now, it's swung the other way to being brutally difficult, bloody hell!

I'm about ~30 missions in now (so about 1/3 of the way in from what I gather) and am still playing Solo on Normal as a Ranger, and each mission since about the ~20 mark has been a push at the very least, and brutal/unfair at the worst. I think see where the recommendations for co-op came in now?
If the difficulty maintains this curve I genuinely don't think I'll be able to beat it, at least not on Normal mode anyway, which seems nuts given there are 5 difficulties?

Oh, and having no checkpoints on really long tough missions is the kind of infuriation I thought we'd left behind quite some time ago.
There's a couple of hard missions on the 30s but you should not be having this much of a hard time. Farm better weapons (try to do the first couple missions on hard, for instance).
Also keep in mind you absolutely NEED a sniper or similar long range weapon to have a chance in some missions.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
The trick is to replay early missions on higher difficulties to earn higher-level weapons. If you're at mission 30 on normal, the best weapons you can get are level 8. Meanwhile replaying just the first mission on hard can get you weapons up to level 25, which are literally endgame drops on normal mode. There's guides on Steam with cheese strats for farming weapons, but you don't need that to clear normal.
There's a couple of hard missions on the 30s but you should not be having this much of a hard time. Farm better weapons (try to do the first couple missions on hard, for instance).
Also keep in mind you absolutely NEED a sniper or similar long range weapon to have a chance in some missions.

Le sigh.
Hadn't realised that grinding was a necessity in this game, always my favourite aspect in any game >_<

Oh well, thanks for the heads up though!

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I used to do back when I played EDF was play splitscreen mode by myself.

"Player 1" would try and kill everything while "Player 2" just ran around around dropping turrets and other auto-firing equipment.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, the interactive recommender is exactly what I've been asking for for months.

It's still a little on the basic side, but I'm really happy they are finally trying to add something like this.

Oct 25, 2017
Le sigh.
Hadn't realised that grinding was a necessity in this game, always my favourite aspect in any game >_<

Oh well, thanks for the heads up though!
Normal has fucked up weapon level drops for some reason, it gets better. I've been playing from a fresh save and up to mission ~38 I did no farming yet, though there was a mission I had to do a lot of hit and run waiting for health drops, though I am doing Wing Diver instead of Ranger.
Other thing to keep in mind is to always recruit the NPCs (blue dots) to up your DPS a little/work as extra targets. Kinda useless in some missions (like the ant queen one), but can be quite helpful in others.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stuck on the 30 minute auto-show thing and got a tit game for the 6th. Impressive.
Muse Dash?

Because while it is admittedly super fanservicey, that game is actually pretty damn good and it's also pretty popular. It should be in such a video.

Edit:

The strategy game segment has a "hentai puzzle" type game in it's number 3 slot lol. So much for "Put this on the side while you work".

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
>Tries interactive recommender
>half of the recommendations are games on my wishlist, half are different games from the same franchise of games I own
T-thanks

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You underestimate how niche and expansive my wishlist is.
Mind you, I'm not complaining, though the recommender totally should have a toggle to allow or not wishlisted and ignored games instead of only excluding one tag.
Damn, I have 1127 games in my wishlist and a ton of niche genres, I am afraid of seeing yours lol

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My list is like 90 percent things I ended up buying on like Uplay or Switch / got in some game-pass style service.

Guess I need to mark more stuff as "not interested"

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even wishlist much stuff that I consider that niche, but I guess I do browse random indie games frequently so at least I'm aware of what the algorithm would consider niche/obscure.

Maybe I should go through more queues/mark more games as ignored and not interested (hardly do, just follow/wishlist what seems interesting to check out later).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The new client is GoG Galaxy 2.0. I much prefer that client over Steam now.

It's pretty solid, but it also made me appreciate the Steam client a lot more. The community integration, its snappiness, multi-game tagging, etc, etc. etc.

I hope to spend more time with it once they sand down the rough edges over the next months. At the very least, I'll be able to spend less time in Origin and Bnet.

Last edited:

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath Traveler is on sale for 30% off on Steam now, which brings it to $42.

This is more the price I was looking for...however, I'm broke now so I might have to wait for another sale. We'll see.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Interesting.

hrc059M.png

I would like to believe that someone at Valve read this article.

iyf744b.png

Rcwq5uA.png

Valve does not say what "popularity" is, I guess it is the number of players. I asked on the forum in case I can get an answer.
The popularity slider must be setting the value of a parameter like "alpha" in the PCGamer article.
I wonder if someone can actually reverse-engineer the number of players and build another SteamSpy.

I also like the fact that Valve uses the expression "hidden gems", because I read on this forum (you know who you are ;p) and on the blog of a particular dev (dev of Bytepath, if I remember right) that "hidden gems do not exist". "It is just that they are not good enough to be more popular".

emnhOb6.png

It is nice that they went for collaborative filtering.

Notably, we do not use information about tags or review scores when creating the model. This means reviews or tags alone simply cannot affect results. The model infers properties of games by learning what users do, not by looking at other extrinsic data.

Just because you play a lot of Beat Saber, doesn't mean we should only ever recommend you VR rhythm games. This model takes a different approach. It disregards most of the usual data about a game, like genre or price point. Instead, it looks at what games you play and what games other people play, then makes informed suggestions based on the decisions of other people playing games on Steam. The idea is that if players with broadly similar play habits to you also tend to play another game you haven't tried yet, then that game is likely to be a good recommendation for you.

Because it was a shame that they could not do better with the data which they have (and they know it, given the example of Beat Saber mentioned in the blog post):

We train the model based on data from many millions of Steam users and many billions of play sessions, giving us robust results that capture the nuances of different play patterns and covers our catalog.

Last edited:

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
So, can now Valve finally let us pick which games we own to remove from all of these recommendation tools? I can't be the only one with dozens of games that i 'played' for several hours - i.e. idled to get cards.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I can't be the only one with dozens of games that i 'played' for several hours - i.e. idled to get cards.

It is funny that you wrote this, because I was pondering on the relevance of creating a new account to get rid of the noise. For instance, I could create a smurf account and only buy amazing games like Spelunky, Hollow Knight, Ori, VVVVVV, and see which games are recommended to me in the "niche" section.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The devs cannot do anything.

It is just incredibly weird to have such a steep change of requirements over a playthrough. It is literally the first time I encounter this situation.

DK7MiMH.png

I mean that if I were the dev, I would have cut the room, which would have allowed to lower the min requirements and sell the game to more customers at no extra cost ("expand my audience" as Chet puts it). It is usually costly to optimize a game, but in this case, the game already runs great for 99% of a playthrough. Just cut the damn room! Or put it on an optional path, not just before the final boss.

In its current form, the game is a trap for people like me who try to run games even though their PC does not meet the min requirements: if everything works fine, great ; otherwise, get a refund. Here, the issue arises after 8 hours in a game supposed to last 8 hours and 30 minutes. So, we get to play most of the game, but they deny us the final boss and a New Game Plus, and they deny us a Steam refund (which would have been more problematic if the issue arose after 3 hours).

You know, I had not thought of that. If I had not rage-uninstalled the game, I would try that.

The mobile Puzzle Quest was like that. My kindle fire is garbage for gaming, but an old match 3 game should be easy, right? Went through most of the game pretty well, and then towards the end there's an enemy that does a lot of cascading effects on top of everything else on screen and it crashes every time. Kind of a bummer not to be able to finish the game.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The mobile Puzzle Quest was like that. My kindle fire is garbage for gaming, but an old match 3 game should be easy, right? Went through most of the game pretty well, and then towards the end there's an enemy that does a lot of cascading effects on top of everything else on screen and it crashes every time. Kind of a bummer not to be able to finish the game.
Man what happened to the Puzzle Quest series? It was great

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Man what happened to the Puzzle Quest series? It was great

There's a bunch of offshoots, and of course the knock offs all over the mobile field. Most of them are garbage money funnels, but a few like Marvel Puzzle Quest (also available on Steam) are okay if you like match 3 for some mindless fun.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
There's a bunch of offshoots, and of course the knock offs all over the mobile field. Most of them are garbage money funnels, but a few like Marvel Puzzle Quest (also available on Steam) are okay if you like match 3 for some mindless fun.
I didn't like Puzzle Quest because the movement was kinda of limited

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I am not happy with this result. lmao

rLCPZaS.png

Artifact makes sense for a number of reasons (a card game, a Valve game, a Dota2 game), and my most played games are Dota2, card games and Portal 2.
The fact that one recommendation is "Steel Rats" shows that I am matched with Humble Monthly subscribers. This must bias the results so much.

tl;dr: Buying every Humble Bundle and then idling the games for trading cards was a mistake!

Unrelated:

6Qi7Vl0.png

vNgZRnb.png

Last edited:

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I tried out the Steam Interactive Recommender and cranked the dial to MAXIMUM NICHE.

It suggested to me:
1) Vanquish (already on wishlist, already own on PS3)
2) Deadly Premonition (no thank you, but I understand why)
3) System Shock 1 (makes sense)
4) Xanadu Next (have long considered it)
5) Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate (i've heard it's bad).

Further down the list, it recommended me AAA games like Dark Void, Lost Planet 1, Singularity (ha!), and DMC HD collection. This tells me that Steam sees "niche" as games that sold poorly or get less external traffic. Which makes sense from a computer's point of view, but stuff like Vanquish, Mirror of Fate, Dark Void, Lost Planet, and DMC HD Collection just sold like shit, they aren't niche and didn't receive niche coverage externally.

They likely draw the line as to what niche is at too high a level (and should use Wok 's algo...or at least be able to slide it further down to reach that).

That said, it also showed me some obscure shmups and a few platformers I hadn't seen before.

I'll say this though - when i cranked the slider the other way (to popular), it gave me a whole bunch of games already on my wishlist, especially ones that rank highly. I think a lot of people would see that as a failure of the system, but I see it as the opposite; the machine learning appears to know almost exactly what I'm directly interested in.

That said, what it needs is another slider; the algo should take the person's wishlist into account but there should be a slider that allows the user to pick the strength of the wishlist's listings on influencing the choices. I say this because people have different uses on their wishlists - some people just throw anything and everything that looks vaguely interesting to them on there, some people use it as a very specific purchase list. For the former category, those users would probably be best lowering the influence of the wishlist influence, the latter might as well count them as good as purchased when it comes to influence.

These are things I would suggest implementing:

1) a checkbox beside the games shown on the left (most played list). Unchecking a game means it won't count towards the algo. Some people play games they hate for a long time, sometimes you don't want to play a game like that ever again, etc.

2) There should be a checkbox that says something like "Don't show me things already on my wishlist". Just to de-clutter the list when 10 of the top 20 are already things you plan to buy.

3) Some way to incorporate your entire library

4) Some way to incorporate your wishlist

5) Some way to mark a game in the suggestion list "I'm definitely not interested in this" and then incorporate that back into the algo for you and other users. MORE DATA.

All in all, a super cool start to a possibly very useful system.

EDIT: i think a big weaknes of the system is that it seems to only take into account play time, rather than "liked time". Theoretically, i wouldn't have spent 40 hours playing GTA4 if I hated it, but, welp, humans are stupid and I did. Just because I played Skyrim for 5 times as much time as Dead Space doesn't mean i like it more. And if it's just matching it up with people who also spent 100 hours on Skyrim and 20 hours on Dead Space, that doesn't mean we like the same stuff, it just means we played the same games. It's the multiplayer vs singleplayer time fallacy - you could probably nearly directly correlate a player's time in a multiplayer game with the amount they were engaged by it, but a lot of people play single player stuff to the end regardless of quality (unless they absolutely hate it), so long games just mean longer play times...but I might have LOVED, say, Gone Home for all its 2 hours.

I'm not sure how one would account for this. I would guess that single player games have really distinct MODE averages, with a cluster at the low hour count (1 - 2 hours) and then another high mode at the MEAN completion time. How does one filter that out to determine like-itude?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.