• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I get a surprisingly low amount of strategy game recommendations for my list given that my played list seems to heavily favor strategy games given the hours. Maybe I just own too many already. Anime RPGs dominate my recommendation list which is strange since my hour count for most of them is pretty low except for Last Remnant and Dragon Quest. They are at least the types of ones that I would play, though.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Just saw that:

Valve: "here are experimental fearures we are working on, you can try it now"
twatter circlejerk: "it has bugs ","its shit ", "you are ruining it"

Its funny. Valve is actually the only one even trying to think about such discovery features and even asks for feedback. E-Shop: None. PSN: None. Xbox Live: None. GoG: None. EGS: None. itch.io: almost none.

People can never be happy apparently.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I got a lot of games already on my wishlist and/or games that I've already beaten elsewhere. So guess that's a good system?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The new rec engine lead me to this:

So it's alright. Wish I knew about it during the sale, actually--I would've gotten it.

But Sakura Clicker is somehow the most popular recommendation game which baffles me. I guess the free-to-play tag is overwhelming every other metric.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Full niche.

unknown.png

Well ok then.

Nov 1, 2017
Been playing FFXIV since right before the expansion came out. The MSQ in ARR destroyed my will to play and i dropped it twice. This time, I think i'm hooked and already about to start Stormblood.

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing FFXIV since right before the expansion came out. The MSQ in ARR destroyed my will to play and i dropped it twice. This time, I think i'm hooked and already about to start Stormblood.

After the main climax of ARR, the fetch quests just become relentless and fucking awful. It was obviously because they were a very limited team and were working on Heavensward pretty hard, so couldn't dedicate much resources to keeping MSQ patches interesting, but my god its bad. Go to the Waking Sands, talk to NPC, go to objective, talk to NPC, go back to Waking Sands, over and over.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
It's not half bad, but I wish you could add/combine multiple filters. Filter out all of anime, multiplayer, platformer and free-to-play, for example. All my hours of Rocket League trick the system into thinking I have space in my life for more multiplayer games.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I got a lot of games already on my wishlist and/or games that I've already beaten elsewhere. So guess that's a good system?
Surely an algorithm suggesting games that it has no way of knowing you already played elsewhere means its working because it correctly identified games you'd like.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
i think a big weaknes of the system is that it seems to only take into account play time, rather than "liked time". Theoretically, i wouldn't have spent 40 hours playing GTA4 if I hated it, but, welp, humans are stupid and I did. Just because I played Skyrim for 5 times as much time as Dead Space doesn't mean i like it more. And if it's just matching it up with people who also spent 100 hours on Skyrim and 20 hours on Dead Space, that doesn't mean we like the same stuff, it just means we played the same games.

It may be acceptable if you think of the recommendations as "games which you might play" rather than "games which you might like".

It's the multiplayer vs singleplayer time fallacy - you could probably nearly directly correlate a player's time in a multiplayer game with the amount they were engaged by it, but a lot of people play single player stuff to the end regardless of quality (unless they absolutely hate it), so long games just mean longer play times...but I might have LOVED, say, Gone Home for all its 2 hours.

I'm not sure how one would account for this. I would guess that single player games have really distinct MODE averages, with a cluster at the low hour count (1 - 2 hours) and then another high mode at the MEAN completion time. How does one filter that out to determine like-itude?

I have found this post. It is unclear, but at least, we learn that playtime is normalized with respect to some per-game reference, be it a mode, mean median, etc.

Play-time information is normalized based on the distribution of per-game play-time, so that games with intrinsically different play times are on an equal-footing as far as the model is concerned.

[...]

We actually take into account the full distribution of playtime for a game, not just an average or median value, but that's basically the idea.

Last edited:

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
I have found this post. It is unclear, but at least, we learn that playtime is normalized with respect to some per-game reference, be it a mode, mean median, etc.

Oh, so that's why The Turing Test keeps popping up so high for me. I think the algorithm sees my playtime in Portal (3 playthroughs) and correctly assumes I love that game.

With my current filters, 5 out of my top 10 I've played on other platforms (GOG/PS4), 4 are platformers (please let me filter these out ugh) and 1 is The Turing Test, which I came very, very close to buying during last sale. So good job, but please let me filter out platformers lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so that's why The Turing Test keeps popping up so high for me. I think the algorithm sees my playtime in Portal (3 playthroughs) and correctly assumes I love that game.

With my current filters, 5 out of my top 10 I've played on other platforms (GOG/PS4), 4 are platformers (please let me filter these out ugh) and 1 is The Turing Test, which I came very, very close to buying during last sale. So good job, but please let me filter out platformers lol.
Exclude tag ->platformer

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
It may be acceptable if you think of the recommendations as "games which you might play" rather than "games which you might like".

I saw you posted in that thread. It's a good question.

One thing I noticed in my recommendations - I have very high play times for the Deus Ex games, because I like them. In the suggested games, i have 2 recommendations for games that have 'Deus Ex' in their titles, but are not immersive sims or linked in any way to the Deus Ex series.

Which makes me wonder if the algo takes the name of the game into account? Which seems misguided.

Might just be that Deus Ex fans have picked these games when searching for Deus Ex games...but even that seems odd.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't see the algorithm doing a good job for me. I got 1300 hours in age of Empires 2 HD, 130 hours in Sekiro and then 90-60 hours in Metro, the Arkham Games, Shadow of Mordor, and Mankind divided, and then decreasing numbers in everything else (primarily imsims, 3d RPGs and Action Adventure games).

Still, I'll probably try it out sometime next week when I actually have time.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eyyy just got invited to the GOG 2.0 beta. Looking forward to testing it out tonight.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah? If it's on your wishlist it assumes you're interested in it, and if you beat it elsewhere it has literally no way of knowing that, but since you already played it, then presumably you were interested in that game. Not bad!

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I will give an overview of my results with the most extreme settings.
The "popular" recommendations are as expected, which is nice.
The "niche" recommendations are so "niche" that I only know one in the top 3, which makes the algorithm pretty useful.

Edit: And the library is filtered out in real-time! I have added to my account Wequer, which is a free game, and it disappeared from the recommendations.

XG0L9iR.png

Last edited:

Clara

Oct 25, 2017
What else like Stardew or Forager is out there? Something with an addictive gameplay loop with multiple interconnecting systems and no fail states. I have my eye on My Time at Portia but was curious about other options.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What else like Stardew or Forager is out there? Something with an addictive gameplay loop with multiple interconnecting systems and no fail states. I have my eye on My Time at Portia but was curious about other options.
GRaveyard Keeper has what you describe. However, know that it's less free-form than Stardew Valley (there are designated areas for graves and crops and logs, and you can't build them outside of these areas). Also, the scenario is a bit more robust, and it's closer to an RPG where you unfold the quests in order to reach the conclusion of the game by mastering each system that nicely flow into each other. No fail state as well.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
They announce it as experimental and ask for feedback. I mean its a beta.

Also how would Steam know you beat those games somewhere else already?
Surely an algorithm suggesting games that it has no way of knowing you already played elsewhere means its working because it correctly identified games you'd like.
Yeah? If it's on your wishlist it assumes you're interested in it, and if you beat it elsewhere it has literally no way of knowing that, but since you already played it, then presumably you were interested in that game. Not bad!

....I wasn't saying that ironically. Seems like a good system as it suggesting me things that I think I would like/do like. Sorry for the question mark at the end, didn't mean it as a negative but as an open statement.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Automatic show is great but i would love it to be personalized like:

- Let me choose the VO (female or male)
- Let me choose filters (genre, most positive, etc)
- So basically, let the user choose what they want to watch and then the AI generates it

Dunno if they can do this kind of shit tho

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
OK so I set it to show me what were the popular games of the past 10 or so years that may interest me, among the first recommendations
aGC3yQs.png

This ish seems to base stuff off of my recent playthrough of RE5.
1- I don't like horror games in general
2- I own a few of those games on GOG
3- It recommends multiplayer games which is understandable due to RE5, but Paladins isn't co-op is it?

Now let's set it to Niche
tuRlCaR.png

Some decent choices or picks, but I wasn't too sold on the visuals of a few of these early shown ones.

Next up, New and Popular then Niche
bQzuZOP.png

Volvo pls
why are you recommending me a demo :V
Not a fan of First person view puzzle games that much, but the other picks are understandable

BQkCgKF.png

I don't care much for a few of the early ones, and i got chook sosig from gog already.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I am loving The Legend of Heroes Tits 1 so far.

I got my ass kicked by a surprise monster encounter but love how you can "Retry" and then escape the battle instead of getting a gameover lol.

Also the speed up mechanics are nice - wish those existed in the Garghav trilogy on PSP.

Also loving the character interactions.

szaCAAc.jpg

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Played some Bioshock Infinite tonight for the monthly retro, and I forgot how it has one of the best intros ever for a video game. Absolutely love it. Now I'm hooked again.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Hehe

Btw strange thing happened to me. I pre-ordered CP2077 from The Games Collection and PayPal pulled money from my account and reserved it. Yesterday I got message from The Games Collection that they tried to charge me but there were not enough funds. How the hell is that possible if money for that order is reserved on PayPal for weeks? Did anyone had similar experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.