• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you expect from E3?

• Everything was loot crates

Votes: 63 10.0%
  • Everything was randomly generated maps

Votes: 31 4.9%
  • Everything was class based

Votes: 23 3.7%
  • Everything was F2P

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Everything was battle royale

Votes: 493 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
oh-snap.gif

I agree

I hope Capcom bring Dino Crisis back with all the love and care they're showing RE2 then cancel it a week before release.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
What about GTA IV? Is it worth purchasing if I like GTA V?

Edit: Hmmm....

Well, there's lots to know but lets start with patching GTA-IV so that it actually works. I'll explain. Recently Rockstar Games removed a lot of music data from one of the files that comprise the radio stations in the game (Vladivostok FM) because of licensing issues and there are sadly still a lot of people out there who are mad about it because they don't understand that if Rockstar had not removed that music they would be forced under law to pay the original owners of said music royalties just for keeping it in the game and well, Rockstar isn't going to do that.

So out it came and now people are whining about it. If you want to hear Vladivostok FM just go to YouTube and you will find all of the music there, preserved complete with narrative from Ukrainian pop singer Ruslana (in GTA-IV) and DJ Paul (in Episodes from Liberty City). Anyway you don't need to worry about that patch because its automatically dealt with server side at STEAM. However you will need to patch a problem that has been with GTA-IV for as long as its been around on PC (ten years now) and that is the issue of the Games For Windows Live (GFWL) login server. Sadly you WILL have to download this patch:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=201134

After which you will be prompted to create a XBOX login and password. My advice is to do it. With that done you should now be able to log into GTA-IV (and it automatically patches EFLC if you have that installed) and play the game but be advised there is a small 'glitch' that occurs because of the removal of all of that music. On startup (every time on GTA-IV only) the game will run the GTA-IV title tune, show you the logo and then the screen will go BLACK for about forty to sixty seconds after which the game will load in the Rockstar Games Social Club screen.

After that you can play.

Your save games are stored on the PC (not on a cloud) and can be found here: C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\user_<long number> - if you have several long numbers, just open the folders one by one until you find a file called ControlMap.dat and this is where GTA-IV and EFLC (The Lost and Damned, and The Ballard of Gay Tony) saves the game.

Establishing key bindings is entirely up to you but a number of people have been confused by the dual-input system the game uses, so you might want to take a look at this: https://orig00.deviantart.net/f957/f/2016/001/d/6/how_to_get_gta_iv_to_run_on_modern_pc_s__2015_16__by_gta_ivplayer-d9f7sla.png - that's only a guide and if it does not work for you, select the keys you're most comfortable with that don't clash with each other.

If for some reason the game comes up with an error code it is more than likely due to a couple of reasons. (a) You need to update your graphics card drivers, (b) You are using a AMD processor as there are known issues with these. The game is not glitch-free but is petty stable and will run on a modern computer system without issue most of the time.

If you are starting the game from a fresh install you will need to go into the graphics options and establish the screen resolution. There is a benchmarking tool in there too, which I advise running so you can get the best out of the game.

But if you want my two-cents worth, the game is AWESOME. Get the GTA-IV Complete Edition if you can as it has all three parts of IV in one package and tells the whole story. I've been playing since 2008 and it has never got old. That said, GTA-V is also awesome but the two games are very different entities so don't try comparing them. You have to remember that IV is a product of its time and if it looks dated you have to remember that back when it was new it was cutting edge. Its still an impressive product and I endorse it.

There is only one known issue and that is with the very last mission (there are two possible endings) and this is easily resolved by downloading MSI Afterburner and using a bundled application called RivaTuner to slow down the game to 30fps to get the game slow enough (you won't notice it, its for the machines benefit) to make it possible to get into a helicopter. Other than this, no special tools or skills required to run it.

Last edited:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before GPU purchase "Eh gonna skip this summer sale I need to save money"

After GPU purchase "oh my god I want everything"

What about GTA IV? Is it worth purchasing if I like GTA V?

It depends what you liked about V. IV is when Rockstar started focusing way more on realism and story than fun and V largely copied that structure in the missions, however they also tried their hardest to add some fun back into the series too. IV doesn't have any of that fun, it has like 90 missions that are all similar (drive here shoot people, drive there shoot people) and you will constantly get phone calls from friends who want to go bowling or some other mundane shit like that. I loathe IV as someone who loved the ps2 GTAs and mostly liked V.

Somehow though its free roam online mode is so much more fun than Vs despite having less in its world. I've never figured that one out. I think it's because V's online is so grindy and MT focused whereas IV's free roam is like "here's the world and even though it's limited it's all here, do with it what you will".

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
inDIzdV.png

There's nothing wrong with missing an estimated release, but i wish devs would at least bother to update their roadmaps

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
When Far Cry 5 came out I played through one of the three areas and then took a break for some other games.

I picked it up again this week and had a really hard time getting back into it. I feel like I've seen everything it has to offer already.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Started out the refund season with Immortal Redneck. I just couldn't get into its roguelike mechanics and I got really bored after less than an hour. I guess roguelike FPS aren't really my thing. It plays pretty good though, so other people might really like it.

PixelParty

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I love this.

I used to print out the angriest, most rage-filled user submitted bug reports and put them on my walls.

I loved each and every one of them, because only someone who cares would take the time to write you a long rant (which may or may not contain wishes regarding your death) using the bug report tool.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
PC Gaming ERA | July

So June is fast approaching, with the new thread we will break the recommendations / Monthly game format into these categories:

Recommendations
Same as always, however you can now Recommend games outside of Steam, as long as it comes out during that month.

Recommendations so far:
-

Monthly Challenge
Only 1 game can be submitted for this entry each month, it's basically a way for people to play a game to obtain a certain achievement or challenge

Recommendation so far:
-

Monthly Retro
This will basically replace GOTM, it's for any game that has come out that people may have not played. Only 1 game per month, first come first served.

Recommendation so far:
-

I implore all of you to write recommendations for any of the above and to send me a PM, I will post them in the next OP.

Thank you for your support.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm afraid to make recommendations since it seems like everything I'm interested in gets pushed back to unknown dates.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the steam sale. Ive been signed up to Humble Monthly, and im signed till November. Im afraid to buy something from steam sale that might appear in Humble Monthly. Is there any guidance as to games i can feel safe to buy, outside of preorders or brand new AAA ones? Like, are there publishers that dont work with Humble at all? DLC also seems to be something thats fairly safe for games i own.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Ascheroth's Sale Report, Day #2:
How are Steam's servers still shitting the bed?

I've bought The Void today, thanks to InquisitorAles successful shilling. This looks like the right kind of weird and fucked up.

I already finished 1 of the 3 games I bought yesterday \o/

Alicemare was nice. I didn't like it as much as LiEat, but it was still intriguing, unsettling and sad. 2 hours well spent.

I've played an hour of 1bitHeart. And so far I'm really digging it.

Play as shut-in Nanashi who suddenly finds an unknown girl appearing on his bed. Together they start their quest to... help Nanashi make friends!
E17C426F4C6AE61648ACF95CAC41A43D560A5BF6
21EFCBDD1B2AE31BEDBA609A9E63C054FAB5E106

0172F471BF0B4B7E5E64D0ABD5D2CDEC0C9979F6
6B9CCFE4C9152638AD637599697DC476B4E2E96B

How do you make friends? Well, be learning information about them and talking to them, trying to read the mood and selecting the right topics at the right time, lest Nanashi dies from embarrassment if you fail too often. (It's kinda like an RPG battle where he has HP and loses them whenever you mess up, just that there's no fighting, just talking).

Also, there's a hacker using a virus to mind-control people and it's actually also a sci-fi mystery detective game where you have to put clues together and find holes in the acting of the mind-controlled people and things.
And has a Tetris and Puyo Puyo mini-game.

And it looks super cute.

Then I've played 2 hours of The Vagrant and I'm really digging that too!
header.jpg

Combat is super satisfying, progression is addictive, the art style is super pretty (even better in motion), it seems to be pretty meaty content-wise, and it's only 2€. That main character design tho.
mtjni.jpg

...Looking at this, I haven't bought anything more expensive than 2€ this sale yet, haha.

Last edited:

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
Ascheroth's Sale Report, Day #2:
How are Steam's servers still shitting the bed?

I've bought The Void today, thanks to InquisitorAles successful shilling. This looks like the right kind of weird and fucked up.

I already finished 1 of the 3 games I bought yesterday \o/

Alicemare was nice. I didn't like it as much as LiEat, but it was still intriguing, unsettling and sad. 2 hours well spent.

I've played an hour of 1bitHeart. And so far I'm really digging it.

Play as shut-in Nanashi who suddenly finds an unknown girl appearing on his bed. Together they start their quest to... help Nanashi make friends!
E17C426F4C6AE61648ACF95CAC41A43D560A5BF6
21EFCBDD1B2AE31BEDBA609A9E63C054FAB5E106

0172F471BF0B4B7E5E64D0ABD5D2CDEC0C9979F6
6B9CCFE4C9152638AD637599697DC476B4E2E96B

How do you make friends? Well, be learning information about them and talking to them, trying to read the mood and selecting the right topics at the right time, lest Nanashi dies from embarrassment if you fail too often. (It's kinda like an RPG battle where he has HP and loses them whenever you mess up, just that there's no fighting, just talking).

Also, there's a hacker using a virus to mind-control people and it's actually also a sci-fi mystery detective game where you have to put clues together and find holes in the acting of the mind-controlled people and things.
And has a Tetris and Puyo Puyo mini-game.

And it looks super cute.

Then I've played 2 hours of The Vagrant and I'm really digging that too!
header.jpg

Combat is super satisfying, progression is addictive, the art style is super pretty (even better in motion), it seems to be pretty meaty content-wise, and it's only 2€. That main character design tho.
mtjni.jpg

...Looking at this, I haven't bought anything more expensive than 2€ this sale yet, haha.

Ooh, The Vagrant looks right up my alley. Added to my Wishlist!

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
So the steam sale. Ive been signed up to Humble Monthly, and im signed till November. Im afraid to buy something from steam sale that might appear in Humble Monthly. Is there any guidance as to games i can feel safe to buy, outside of preorders or brand new AAA ones? Like, are there publishers that dont work with Humble at all? DLC also seems to be something thats fairly safe for games i own.

You cannot be safe: your subscription lasts till November, so it is even possible that a game released in May appears in one of your Monthly bundles. Your safest bet would be to buy a game which was released in the past two weeks. You could also only purchase games sold for less than, say, 7€ during sales, since they are unlikely to be included in a Monthly bundle.

Typically, these two are risky bets imo:

Last edited:

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Have we had our customary "Is it just me or are the Steam sales getting worse each year?" discussion yet?

Or should we just skip to the part where we spam haul lists until someone flexes with a "Here's my haul: " but then lists nothing?

Let me know. Just trying to keep up.

Deques

Oct 26, 2017
I'm traveling abroad during the whole steam sale. Will I still pay my region's currency when buying in another country?

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
Funny beta client bug. I guess if the other person has the old client and starts a voice call it opens the old chat window even though you are using the beta client.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Another day, another Steam Chat Beta bug. Windows don't show up when you move cursor over the icon in taksbar on Win 10. So you can't bring up Chat window if you minimize it XD

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
OMG, I just noticed pressing 1 on the steam sales game uses an ability. I just assumed it was the basic turret shot, so I never bothered. No wonder it was so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.