• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Im probably gonna make Outer Wilds my first game I use to test Gamepass but for now Im gonna wait and let them sort it out a bit more. Looking at the gamepass thread and people are getting random issues and BSODs.

FWIW, I'm playing on DX12 with no crashes. Game fails to register G-Sync sometimes (I'm using a free sync monitor and enabling it through Nvidia control panel) but that's about it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently Biomutant is still rough according Easy Allies. That means that it could end up as Epic Store exclusive :(

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Outer Wilds has run flawlessly for me, outside of some weird performance drops when approaching planets at a high speed, very occasionally.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019

Dropped a few hours into Overcrowd and I'm really digging it so far.

Has a really sweet presentation coupled with a ton of depth.

Directing your employees around can get hectic, almost feels like playing PoE using RttP controls, lol. But it's super-satisfying and watching them level up actually increases their autonomy & effectiveness, making management actually easier as time passes. Also like that you carry leveled-up characters over to new levels as well.

Bonus props to the excellent 8-bit soundtrack.

Fans of Two Point Hospital should keep an eye on this one.

The game looks like right up my alley. Does the game require a lot of micro management? And are the "split-second choices" in the same vein of Frostpunk?

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I have never used Fig before. Payment is inconsistent:
  • for Psychonauts 2, I have the choice between using Stripe (with a debit card) or Paypal,
  • for Unexplored 2, I have to pay using Stripe.
In both cases, the payment has to be done in USD, which means that, if I cannot use Paypal, my bank would charge (expensive and hidden) forex fees.
Not the greatest move if the dev wants to sell Unexplored 2 outside of the USA...

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently Biomutant is still rough according Easy Allies. That means that it could end up as Epic Store exclusive :(
It's a THQ Nordic game. It won't be Epic exclusive, but it also means you're giving money to people who happily engage homophobes, white nationalists, and extremists.

Anyway, not surprised to hear that it's in rough shape given it dropped off the map after being announced with such fanfare (there was the definite impression of a 2018 release, and then it just sort of went away). That's always a telling sign.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks like right up my alley. Does the game require a lot of micro management? And are the "split-second choices" in the same vein of Frostpunk?

Yup. It's totally micromanagy.

It's funny, as someone who's completely allergic to the RTS genre, Overcrowd does have a lot of RTS gameplay elements but it doesn't bother or fluster me in the least.

You spend a lot of time directing your staff around taking care of decaying needs, like emptying bins, filling fuel generators, watering plants, etc. Then you have to pay attention to how the commuters are reacting to the space. They have little text prompts over their heads commenting on lighting conditions, amenities, prices, and such. They can be pro or con and this affects your station's Reputation, an important game statistic. So you're reacting to their needs in real time, using Bonds (game XP) to build out your tech tree with new infrastructure items to make them happier.

There's a lot to pay attention to, but it never feels overwhelming or anything. The game is just asking you to consider big-picture growth while paying attention to small-picture station maintenance.

It's pretty damn ace when you get into the rhythm. It's got a neat flow.

KatherineOfSky has a great YouTube series on the game if you want to see it in action.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing they've made exclusive so far has appealed to me at all

something not appealing to you does not equal something being bad. Racing games dont appeal to me and im not out there saying all racing games are bad.

but you are crazy-pants when it comes to the EGS so it's kind of a moot point. You're still alright tho.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished the Definitive Edition of Ori for the first time. I loved the original release and the trailer for the sequel at E3 inspired me to finally boot up the re-release. The game is still fantastic and I loved the new area they added. I was surprised just how meaty the content was and that they added 2 abilities (one of the abilities actually lead to remix of how you actually get to a number of power-ups). I strongly recommend checking it out if you never played it or if you are like me and only ever beat the original version.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the Definitive Edition of Ori for the first time. I loved the original release and the trailer for the sequel at E3 inspired me to finally boot up the re-release. The game is still fantastic and I loved the new area they added. I was surprised just how meaty the content was and that they added 2 abilities (one of the abilities actually lead to remix of how you actually get to a number of power-ups). I strongly recommend checking it out if you never played it or if you are like me and only ever beat the original version.

did they kill the "escape sections"?

Im kidding, I know they didnt >_>

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It's a THQ Nordic game. It won't be Epic exclusive, but it also means you're giving money to people who happily engage homophobes, white nationalists, and extremists.

Anyway, not surprised to hear that it's in rough shape given it dropped off the map after being announced with such fanfare (there was the definite impression of a 2018 release, and then it just sort of went away). That's always a telling sign.

There was a Gamescom preview last year with a release date for "Summer 2019". Not much heard since (the game might've been at a PAX afterwards? not sure)

THQN committed to a GOG release last year. We will see if they go back on their word.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
something not appealing to you does not equal something being bad. Racing games dont appeal to me and im not out there saying all racing games are bad.

but you are crazy-pants when it comes to the EGS so it's kind of a moot point. You're still alright tho.
I am? I'm completely apathetic towards it. I don't use it personally unless my friends pester me to play fortnite but I've long since past caring or worrying if a game will be exclusive.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
did they kill the "escape sections"?

Im kidding, I know they didnt >_>
Haha they are still tough as ever. I don't think they added any more checkpoints, but the checkpoints that they do have mid escape are a godsend. They did make adjustments so that you can return to each of the areas you escape from for any power-ups you miss which is greatly appreciated (they were locked off in the original).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Haha they are still tough as ever. I don't think they added any more checkpoints, but the checkpoints that they do have mid escape are a godsend. They did make adjustments so that you can return to each of the areas you escape from for any power-ups you miss which is greatly appreciated (they were locked off in the original).

that IS a big change.

SUPARNOVAX

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still baffled how many points of no return they included in the original version of Ori. That's borderline intolerable for a game with Metroidvania structure and it single highhandedly kept it off my goty list that year.

Luckily Definitive edition fixes it. I will say though with the 2 new upgrades I think the game actually becomes a little too fast paced - you just fly through the game with the dash and I had so many abilities within just a few hours that I would fudge inputs up on the controller sometimes.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I have never used Fig before. Payment is inconsistent:
  • for Psychonauts 2, I have the choice between using Stripe (with a debit card) or Paypal,
  • for Unexplored 2, I have to pay using Stripe.
In both cases, the payment has to be done in USD, which means that, if I cannot use Paypal, my bank would charge (expensive and hidden) forex fees.
Not the greatest move if the dev wants to sell Unexplored 2 outside of the USA...
Back when I was looking at Kickstarter projects, PayPal got pretty annoyed at how KS worked, and thus most projects only opened a side PayPal account once past the line, since then apparently PayPal did not get annoyed.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What does that mean, new users only? If I have an active sub I can't take this, right?

Well, thats the theory, but this is the same as the one on best buy, and there MS reps were saying it works now so who knows :/

I cant really afford to waste 15€ in case it doesn't work >_>

Hell of a deal if it does tho.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Well, thats the theory, but this is the same as the one on best buy, and there MS reps were saying it works now so who knows :/

I cant really afford to waste 15€ in case it doesn't work >_>

Hell of a deal if it does tho.
Yeah same for me. Do you have the link where the Microsoft reps told it should work? One could try to get the code and, worst case scenario, contact the Microsoft support to make it works?

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah same for me. Do you have the link where the Microsoft reps told it should work? One could try to get the code and, worst case scenario, contact the Microsoft support to make it works?

if you scroll down and click on "ratings and reviews" youll see a lot of people complainign it doesnt work and then a copy/paste MS reply apologizing and saying to try again as it should work now

/shrug

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018

if you scroll down and click on "ratings and reviews" youll see a lot of people complainign it doesnt work and then a copy/paste MS reply apologizing and saying to try again as it should work now

/shrug
Umh yeah, the Microsoft reps really replied to each users telling the codes should work now. Well, until someone else will confirm the code now works, I pass. I'm good until November, and I just want to play Outer Worlds and Gears 5 with the sub so I should be ok regardless.
There's Battletoads but that can wait.

Last edited:

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Did anyone play Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption here?
I know it's a Souls-like/Furi clone with bosses only, how hard it is? I'm not in the mood to curse all the existing gods at the moment, and I saw the game received mxied reviews, it's usually around 6-7/10.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it

is it because most egs exclusives have been bad games?

I mean when Huber says it is really rough you know how bad it is. Jones said that game didn't change at all since last time he tried it at PAX (I think last year). Combat feels weird, visuals are rough, and in general everyone from Easy Allies who tried it said that something is off.

That is why I think that THQ will try to get as much money as possible. That means taking Epic exclusivity. They won't have that big development costs because 101 is small team and money they could get from Epic would probably cover development costs.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Random question: Is it OK to start with the Dishonored 2 or is playing the first one highly recommended?
You CAN start with D2 and still be fine but the Brigmore Witches DLC for the first one gives decent backstory for the villain in D2.

And plus, Dishonored 1 in general is one hell of a game that should be played anyway IMO.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored is excellent. Some of the scenarios they set up are unrivaled in the sequel, like the party. Get on that ASAP! It's quite long though, so I wouldn't follow up Dishonored + DLC with Dishonored 2. I did that and got a little burnt out.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
Dishonored is excellent. Some of the scenarios they set up are unrivaled in the sequel, like the party. Get on that ASAP! It's quite long though, so I wouldn't follow up Dishonored + DLC with Dishonored 2. I did that and got a little burnt out.
Ok, nice. I can't wait to start. I finally beat Prey so this will be the next game I commit too.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I mean, Crack in the Slab is one of the best single player levels ever made. There's a lot of quality throughout the games though.

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
Some people are contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. I can't think of any game that emulates what Dishonored is doing.

Looks dope. Does it make a big difference in game if you subdue or kill? I played the first 2 hours a few months ago and couldn't tell sometimes if keeping everyone alive made a difference or was only an achievement.

Status
Not open for further replies.