• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the deal with Sekiro? It's more or less punishing than Souls? I was assuming this was a more friendly From game but the previews give a different impression.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the deal with Sekiro? It's more or less punishing than Souls? I was assuming this was a more friendly From game but the previews give a different impression.
It's probably more difficult since there's no co-op or leveling, both of which can turn Souls games into easymode.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Everything I've seen indicates it's substantially more difficult than Souls games. I'm sure that will change somewhat as people get more familiar with it, but it's supposed to be harder from what they've said (and this is backed up by all the first impressions).

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
So I played the demo and this game is actually really cool. I dont really understand it and cant explain it but its fun! It is marketed as a metroidvania which I suppose makes sense as you have to unlock skills to get to higher places to get coins to get more skills! I dunno, but it works. I just bought it because its the Chrono deal of the day. Supposedly it leaves early access in a few weeks. Check out the demo!

I know a lot of people will overlook this, but it has a gameplay loop I think many of you will enjoy.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
There are mods who join the Epic cheer squad themselves. Quoted one here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/screw-steam-the-jimquisition.104661/page-12#post-18740852

No response, don't expect one either. How much shit eating would you have to do to look at those feature lists and still go "Yeah, I'll side with Epic on this one?" lol.

We have a few mods who do care about PC, but by and large, I mean... the reality is this is a console-centric forum with volunteer staff made-up from that userbase. I've personally given up on any type of standard being maintained in PC-threads that aren't help/OT's.

I don't think your ban was warranted. History of hostility? lmao give us a fucking break.

It's always so easy to hide behind "(duration pending)" rather than engage with the truth.

Oct 28, 2017
I've got a new job coming soon, and once I get paid I'm planning on dropping way too much money and slapping together my dream video editing rig to complement my recent RTX 2070 purchase:

ASRock Fatal1ty X399
64GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
Threadripper 2950X
Cooler Master Wraith Ripper
Cooler Master H500M

I don't care how much it costs, I want a PC that slaps. MicroCenter is gonna love me that day.

Gonna give my old parts and case to my gf for her graphic design work.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven

I'm so torn.

SimAirport is -40% for the next 17 hours but I'm unsure if I should pull the trigger.

I've got both SA and Airport CEO on my Wishlist but I've been in a holding pattern (heh) as both are in Early Access and I've been waiting to see how they shake out at final release.

I do remember digging around months ago for "vs." impressions and while I've forgotten the details, CEO must've come out ahead as I placed it near the top of my Wishlist for future reference.

But man, that -40% is pretty damn tempting. Doubt I'll see a discount that deep for quite some time.

Decisions decisions.

I think Airport CEO is going to be the better game when all is said and done, but that could be a while.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
i think i'm gonna end up buying sekiro on ps4

getting the pc to detect my stupid ps4 controller sucks and is so difficult to troubleshoot when you get absolutely no feedback on what's going wrong -__-

You can always use cable if nothing else works.

Also it looks like that today really is Pizza Day (aka Halo MCC PC announcement).

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I was very pleasantly surprised that my Ryzen 5 1400+Vega 56 (both relatively heavily OC'd) managed 1440p/100+FPS in DMCV so well. Definitely going to be a game I keep coming back to.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Neat, Seven: The Days Long Gone is getting an enhanced edition on the 26th of this month. Been meaning to give it a go since I got it in the humble monthly

Given I already own the digital bone version of the MCC I'm so excited and can justify to myself that I didn't actually spend money on the windows store huzzah

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Our friendly neighborhood PC Gamer has another hot take

The same drill as usual: while I'm sure some of you will have thoughtful and respectful comments, even if you disagree, the size of threads around controversial topics makes them difficult for our team to moderate, so we're closing comments here -- you're of course free to express yourself on other platforms!

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Our friendly neighborhood PC Gamer has another hot take

Good lord that's tripe. Valve absolutely need 1) some decent PR people (I volunteer myself, btw!), and 2) to make charitable contributions in the company name. No-one complains that EA are a monolithic entity whose sole job is to make money, partly because they're good at promoting themselves and their company causes/values, like LGBTQ equality.

Late edit:

It's hard to say how Valve really feels about anything now. Valve abandoned Steam Machines when they didn't pan out, and while it continues to work with Linux, the effort hardly feels like the fight for survival it was first pitched as. I still appreciate that work—it never had to be a fight for survival, it was just a nice thing to do—but these passion projects feel less thoughtful when the company takes such a dispassionate view of its biggest problems.

That skims over Proton pretty quickly... Almost... Like... They... Don't... Even... Mention... It.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The article isn't particularly "hot take" worthy. It basically reiterates a lot of what even people in this thread said about how Valve handled the Rape Day stuff.

And it's no surprise they nuked their comment sections given their Rape Day and THQ articles were filled with the sort of 8chan PCMR idiots that give the fanbase a bad name.

Valve has the same problem as Reddit and Twitter, where they're trying to be this utopian libertarian technospace, and also this extremely mainstream space but the absolute bile of the internet only rises up through them, and it's not really sustainable, at least not without losing your reputation. People will still use Twitter, after all, even with it being a soul sucking hellhole.

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
It's time for Gaben to raise banners and summon generals to his war room. The time has come to unleash PR war dogs and bloodthirsty bears. Our cause is just. The enemy shall be defeated. Victory will be ours.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Good lord that's tripe. Valve absolutely need 1) some decent PR people (I volunteer myself, btw!), and 2) to make charitable contributions in the company name. No-one complains that EA are a monolithic entity whose sole job is to make money, partly because they're good at promoting themselves and their company causes/values, like LGBTQ equality.

That's a funny example to use because
https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...-sexual-harassment-by-sims-influencer.104776/

But you're right, valve desperately needs a marketing department, people at large care more about companies pretending to be something than about what they actually are

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
And it's no surprise they nuked their comment sections given their Rape Day and THQ articles were filled with the sort of 8chan PCMR idiots that give the fanbase a bad name.

The comments were closed from the start for all their articles about Rape Day. Or I must have missed the first article before they decided to close them.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
That's a funny example to use because
https://www.resetera.com/threads/te...-sexual-harassment-by-sims-influencer.104776/

But you're right, valve desperately needs a marketing department, people at large care more about companies pretending to be something than about what they actually are

Yeah, there was a reason I went for EA in that example.

Ironically, after all the "Valve is not your friend" articles/arguments, Valve needs to show people - opinion writers and gaming journalists, mostly - that they're their friend.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Is there a way to disable the Xbox one controller light on pc like you can with the DualShock? Hate how fucking bright these controller lights are in a dark room.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I still don't get how "we" get like Valve articles almost weekly.

"Valve is not your friend."
"Valve doesn't seem to stand for much anymore."
"Valve blabla"

But still nothing about Epics more questionale things like security breaches, Tencents involvement in Epic, missing features, the decision to ignore whole gaming markets, where Epics promised small developer initiative is etc.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Sad to see several great people banned. I'm not gonna judge if their ban was just or not, but it's definitely a motivation to stay away from Epic-related topics here on Era. I was getting frustrated myself when reading the thread about Jim's latest video.

This said, Sweeney's interview with MCV made it very clear that Epic isn't out to compete with Steam; they are trying to build their own monopoly by pulling devs and publishers away from Steam by using their Fortnite money. In my opinion, that's one of the most terrible ways to "compete" and I'm more convinced than ever to put Epic on top of my boycott list.

About that PC Gamer article: while I think that it's a bit overblown to call out Valve for not deleting the store page for Rape Day within an hour, I do agree with most of the things Tyler wrote there. Valve's communication on this matter was terrible, and they should take stricter actions against devs (and users) abusing their client and features. It is sad that people and the media having these issues with Steam is leading to supporting Epic tho.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018

"Valve blabla"

But still nothing about Epics more questionale things like security breaches, Tencents involvement in Epic, missing features, the decision to ignore whole gaming markets, where Epics promised small developer initiative is etc.
Money doesn't smell. At least we have RPS telling Epic to chill with moneyhats.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Sad to see several great people banned. I'm not gonna judge if their ban was just or not, but it's definitely a motivation to stay away from Epic-related topics here on Era. I was getting frustrated myself when reading the thread about Jim's latest video.

This said, Sweeney's interview with MCV made it very clear that Epic isn't out to compete with Steam; they are trying to build their own monopoly by pulling devs and publishers away from Steam by using their Fortnite money. In my opinion, that's one of the most terrible ways to "compete" and I'm more convinced than ever to put Epic on top of my boycott list.

About that PC Gamer article: while I think that it's a bit overblown to call out Valve for not deleting the store page for Rape Day within an hour, I do agree with most of the things Tyler wrote there. Valve's communication on this matter was terrible, and they should take stricter actions against devs (and users) abusing their client and features.

Ofc they need to. Most people here on Era wrote about that.
Just today these got storepages:

348567 Added store name – Cat couple B about 5 hours ago348561 Added store name – Cat couple A about 5 hours ago348558 Added store name – Cat couple 9 about 5 hours ago348552 Added store name – Cat couple 7 about 5 hours ago348549 Added store name – Cat couple 6 about 5 hours ago348546 Added store name – Cat couple 5 about 5 hours ago348555 Added store name – Cat couple 8 about 5 hours ago348543 Added store name – Cat couple 4 about 5 hours ago348540 Added store name – Cat couple 3 about 5 hours ago348537 Added store name – Cat couple 2

Just a memory game, 10 different versions of literally the same game.

I just don't get why that article mentions Proton but not even in name and then brushed over.

On the other hand you get "positive" articles about the Epic Store where they brush off all negative criticisim and just tell you "how great it is!" ignoring everything else.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I just don't get why that article mentions Proton but not even in name and then brushed over.

On the other hand you get "positive" articles about the Epic Store where they brush off all negative criticisim and just tell you "how great it is!" ignoring everything else.

Yeah that's what's bothering me as well. The media seems to be blind for the things that Valve DOES right. Which is MUCH more than any other storefront is doing imo.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Has anyone here been following this game? Looks pretty with decent animation. Still pretty early in early access though.

fight7.jpg

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Sadly, no. I've used some black tape to cover the light.
Bummer, had lasik a few years back and the glare is distracting tho not half as bad as using a DualShock on an actual PS4 where dim is still 3 times too bright.

I don't understand how many people in that Dragon Quest 11 thread think the game has a generic art style. One of the most gorgeous games I've ever played and the creature designs are phenomenal and translated to hd with pizzazz with super fluid animations.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

"Valve blabla"

Yeah that's what's bothering me as well. The media seems to be blind for the things that Valve DOES right. Which is MUCH more than any other storefront is doing imo.

Because, with the greatest respect to Jason Schreier, videogames journalism isn't journalism. The bread-and-butter of videogames reporting is not in-depth, is not aware of economic models, is not aware of socio-geopolitical trends, or politics. Standard everyday gaming reporting is shallow, confusing subjectivity for objectivity in how businesses operate. The New Videogame Journalism ethic is/was a great idea, but it was really only oriented around criticism. Actual reporting and analysis is thin-on-the-ground, and even Edge was (is?) more concerned with style over substance.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
For me, writing a controversial opinion piece and then disabling the comments so people can't respond is cowardice.

I already saw that Echo got banned. Who else?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, writing a controversial opinion piece and then disabling the comments so people can't respond is cowardice.

Or they just know the community. Really gaming articles in general make a good argument for the removal of comments sections.

The fact that people in this thread are branding that lukewarm stance as controversial and hot takes shows he was probably justified because you guys are going to be downright complimentary compared to what their comments section will be like.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
No matter your stance on this issue, I hope we can all appreciate the irony of banning people for, ultimately, complaining about banning some other people.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
As a community we should be very careful when engaging people that are blatantly just interested in trolling. The PC community in GAF was bled out in a similar fashion. Don't adress people personally and stick to debating the argument, not the person. You all know that the administration policies are such that we are constantly walking on eggshells.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
You know, whatever or not people from PC era deserved to get banned, it's strange to see how some people in all these Valve/Epic threads getting away scott free while clearly trolling PC community with pretty much the same arguments in every thread. Like, is it okay to troll people while you present your "arguments" in a semi-civil manner?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
You know, whatever or not people from PC era deserved to get banned, it's strange to see how some people in all these Valve/Epic threads getting away scott free while clearly trolling PC community with pretty much the same arguments in every thread. Like, is it okay to troll people while you present your "arguments" in a semi-civil manner?
Moderation in Era is similar to Steam (excluding it being done by more people and being better in controlling alt-right bs thanks to user curation).

As long as content is not obviously trolling, there is no reason to delete it. ;p

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but what is the point even engaging with those threads?
I'm not even going to enter or discuss anything in there. As per usual, it is platform warring pure and simple, with no actual meaningful discussion occurring as the usual suspects rail on at their perceived tribal enemy(s). Then any opinion you have not inline with the crowd is not open for debate. Forum logic, Steam / PC Gaming logic. Nothing new is discussed and the conversations are cyclical. Worthless. Do something more meaningful with your time and let those people fester there. Post only in threads where an actual discussion is going on or go to a different venue.

I think you misunderstood, I'm not upset about the threads getting trolled and I don't bother taking part in them. Forums will always have members who want to stir things up. I'm disappointed that the people who should work against that kind of behaviour (mods) are instead taking part in the trolling, or don't care about it at all. When regular users then complain about the mods' behaviour (or lack thereof) they get banned, ignored or warned. There are two examples on the previous page.

This is the kind of powertrip we saw on GAF from many of the old mods, and the current mods on Era were very critical of it. Now they're doing the same thing, it's disappointing to see.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
As long as content is not obviously trolling, there is no reason to delete it. ;p
We had people lying in order to frame the narrative about the big bad Steam, we have user appearing in every fucking thread to post about virtual platform on existing platform, we have countless drive bys with a wonderful takes like "just another launcher" and "Valve should kick rocks". I think this behavior deserves a closer inspection.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I had to pick up Supraland off Chrono.gg. Indie devs don't usually put out demos, and this one felt pretty good. It had the right balance of exploration, puzzle solving and platforming. Good stuff.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Uuuuuuh guys
I'd like some help please.
My brother was kind enough to get me FF11 and FF14 for my birthday, but He got them from the S-E store.
Is there any way for me to get their Steam versions?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably more difficult since there's no co-op or leveling, both of which can turn Souls games into easymode.
On the other hand I feel this could depend on how you play Souls. Personally I suspect I'll find Sekiro a little easier just because in Souls I am bad at utilizing the RPG mechanics effectively, to the point I hobble myself. 90% of the time I see footage of someone playing they have much better damage output than me. Less of those mechanics in the game increases the chance I'll be at a more level playing field.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Almost 90 hours in AC Odyssey, and this game is really too damn big. This is what my progress looks like currently:
unknown.png

Arrived on Crete yesterday and was stumbled upon how many quests those regions have. Regions in this game filled with content so inconsistently, some of them have tons of stuff to do, while others like Makedonia and Nisyros are just barren wastelands with nothing to do except 2-3 "?" marks.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Someone found an interesting property of Ubi's Division 2. Apparently EGS didn't get uPlay lite, you get a full uPlay version of the game... so 12% cut doesn't apply to microtransactions, or DLC, if any. I wonder if this is something Epic intended or not.

Uuuuuuh guys
I'd like some help please.
My brother was kind enough to get me FF11 and FF14 for my birthday, but He got them from the S-E store.
Is there any way for me to get their Steam versions?
11 is an MMO too? I doubt it. See above for reasoning. I distinctly remember recent news of Squeenix separating Steam accounts from other ones in FF14.

Status
Not open for further replies.