• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Hektor our man worked on DMC5

unknown.png

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Generalizations on users
Yeah, Kotaku has been pretty fair when it comes to Steam. Unlike some outlet that call themselves 'PC Gamer' who shit on Steam all the time. The irony.

I'm not going to shit on Steam but until they start making games again that interest me I will not fall into the Steam fanboy club.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I'm not going to shit on Steam but until they start making games again that interest me I will not fall into the Steam fanboy club.

Even outside of games Valve did far more to the PC ecosystem than any of it's competitors. A game that can be finished in 10 hours is not worth as much as Proton so Linux gamers can play almost all Windows games or even Steam Link so people can stream everything to their android device or just how many controllers Steam natively supports...
Besides developing a VR ecosystem, APIs for devs to use, now apparently free dedicated servers in the future etc.

That doesn't have anything to do with being a fanboy, but those are the facts.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They've made one just last year.

What game is that, Artifact, a game that had a 90% drop off rate within the first month?

Even outside of games Valve did far more to the PC ecosystem than any of it's competitors. A game that can be finished in 10 hours is not worth as much as Proton so Linux gamers can play almost all Windows games or even Steam Link so people can stream everything to their android device or just how many controllers Steam natively supports...

I don't use Linux, so of course your views will drastically differ from mine. Did I suggest my opinion is to be end all of discussion? Valve made some awesome games in the past, that's what I care about most.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
What game is that, Artifact, a game that had a 90% drop off rate within the first month?

I don't use Linux, so of course your views will drastically differ from mine. Did I suggest my opinion is to be end all of discussion? Valve made some awesome games in the past, that's what I care about most.
And hopefully they will pick that up again and make more games in the future

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Don't you want them to make a single player game? Because literally every single single player game in existence has a 90% drop off rate within the first month, so that seems a weird metric to use.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And hopefully they will pick that up again and make more games in the future

I hope so too, I just don't understand how they can go into silence when it comes to game development with all the money they get from Steam and not also make games in the meantime? I know they bought the makers of Firewatch.

And? That's still a game, no? They also update their older games like CS:GO pretty constantly and TF2/L4D still have working official servers.

Maybe you misread my original comment, games that interest me.

Don't you want them to make a single player game? Because literally every single single player game in existence has a 90% drop off rate within the first month, so that seems a weird metric to use.

Are you honestlly implying Artifact is equivalent to something like God of War or Spiderman? That's hilarious given many Steam fans like yourself were also very quick to defend Valve and their decision to only release that game on Steam, in relation to how they have to constantly update the game.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
I hope a revised steam controller is part of "otherwise." I like it alright, but more premium materials and a better shape sure would be nice.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder what Valve will do when it comes to their HMD and all VR games on Steam. Does every developer/publisher have to integrate support for both the VALVE HMD and the Knuckles (I assume they won't ship it with the VIVE Wands as that is a HTC product)? Cause that will just might make some devs/pubs to never support the Valve HMD. Or will Valve automatically update the SteamVR API to automatically support every VR game in the store?

So many questions.

I also hope that Valves HMD will have much more FOV than the Rift and VIVE and even better, be wireless out of the box.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so too, I just don't understand how they can go into silence when it comes to game development with all the money they get from Steam and not also make games in the meantime? I know they bought the makers of Firewatch.

Are you honestlly implying Artifact is equivalent to something like God of War or Spiderman? That's hilarious given many Steam fans like yourself were also very quick to defend Valve and their decision to only release that game on Steam, in relation to how they have to constantly update the game.
You used the player drop off as your criteria, one dumb criteria considering the games you want them to make fail it.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
The only thing I'd like is being able to stream my games to my iphone and ipad using their app instead of relying on splashtop, since I suppose the former would be better.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You used the player drop off as your criteria, one dumb criteria considering the games you want them to make fail it.

You're the one that brought single player games into discussion as relation to Artifact. Half Life 3 would not fail in my eyes and again that would be a game that would interest me. Are you just trying to be obtuse for no real reason other than your determintion to defend Valve/Steam at all costs?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Getting back to Kingdom Come now that I've done a full refresh as the game hated my old i5 3570k and the performance issues got to be too much during some of the bigger set pieces. Is any of the dlc necessary or worth picking up to round out the experience? Might have been more than halfway through the game

Scrolling through my library reminded me that Syberia 3 came out and was a disaster ;-; Anyone know if the technical issues were worked on or was it just abandoned into the ether?
iirc Flips is the KC daddy

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're the one that brought single player games into discussion as relation to Artifact. Half Life 3 would not fail in my eyes and again that would be a game that would interest me. Are you just trying to be obtuse for no real reason other than your determintion to defend Valve/Steam at all costs?
It would fail the dumb criteria you set about user drop-off. Maybe don't use that as the criteria for the games you want? It's non-sensical.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's Steam and there's Valve. We're talking about totally different entities here.

I for one never care for Valve games. The only game I've played from them was Dota 2, and a bit of L4D2.

That's like saying Microsoft store and Xbox are two different entities. I use Microsoft store because of the Xbox titles and that is the relevance I see with Valve and Steam because we hear so many times how everyone wants all games come to Steam. EA and Microsoft make their own games, which is why I use their stores. I would hope Valve could do the same and also create 1st party games that interest me too.

Why lie? That's all you've been doing in every Valve thread I've seen you in.

Is that why I have currently 144 games in my Steam library because I can't help myself to shit on Valve every day? My goodness you guys sure like coming out of the woodwork to defend Steam if anyone has any negative comments thrown their way.

It would fail the dumb criteria you set about user drop-off. Maybe don't use that as the criteria for the games you want? It's non-sensical.

I can use any drop-off I want, thank you very much, to show how Artifact was not only a game that didn't interest me but also to many others.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
And you are the one who suddenly started this shit with weird "Anyone who doesn't shit on Steam all the time = part of Steam fanboy club". Or whatever you meant, because quote you've responded had zero mentions of Valve games, yet you suddenly brought games argument and some fanboy club bullshit.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Ah, that makes more sense. Still, I don't really see what's the problem here. Steam is easily the most consumer friendly and feature rich client out there. That and the fact that Valve pretty much single-handedly saved PC gaming are the reasons why are they so popular among PC gamers, not HL.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
That's like saying Microsoft store and Xbox are two different entities. I use Microsoft store because of the Xbox titles and that is the relevance I see with Valve and Steam because we hear so many times how everyone wants all games come to Steam. EA and Microsoft make their own games, which is why I use their stores. I would hope Valve could do the same and also create 1st party games that interest me too.
For what expense? Barely working store? What if there are people who prefer a storefront comfort and usability over games?

We simply have different priorities and expectations, maybe think for a second before throwing insults to people?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah, that makes more sense. Still, I don't really see what's the problem here. Steam is easily the most consumer friendly and feature rich client out there. That and the fact that Valve pretty much single-handedly saved PC gaming are the reasons why are they so popular among PC gamers, not HL.

The store is great, no issues at all there, just wish they could also make games that interest me like they used to. Seems to me like Epic is doing the same thing, making less games, all while having a shittier store.

For what expense? Barely working store? What if there are people who prefer a storefront comfort and usability over games?

We simply have different priorities and expectations, maybe think for a second before throwing insults to people?

I'm only casting doubt on those who think Valve/Steam can do no wrong. Why is it totally acceptable to shit on Microsoft/Epic/EA and Bethesda but not Valve? They all host their own storefronts and they all do game development. And yes some peoples priorities are different, I care more about playing a game like Forza Horizon than Linux and wish some other good game from Valve would come out again. That's not too much to ask is it, same thing you guys are asking about better stores.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is that why I have currently 144 games in my Steam library because I can't help myself to shit on Valve every day? My goodness you guys sure like coming out of the woodwork to defend Steam if anyone has any negative comments thrown their way.

I can use any drop-off I want, thank you very much, to show how Artifact was not only a game that didn't interest me but also to many others.
sure you can, but then you have to admit that the games you want would have the exact same drop-off

hence why it's a dumb criteria.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
👀
Getting back to Kingdom Come now that I've done a full refresh as the game hated my old i5 3570k and the performance issues got to be too much during some of the bigger set pieces. Is any of the dlc necessary or worth picking up to round out the experience? Might have been more than halfway through the game

Scrolling through my library reminded me that Syberia 3 came out and was a disaster ;-; Anyone know if the technical issues were worked on or was it just abandoned into the ether?
From the Ashes might be fun since you haven't finished the main game yet. So you can just go back to your village to build new stuff between story missions/other side quests. But there are always trade-offs which kinda sucks. You have to decide between a bakery and a butchery for example; why can't I have both? I didn't have a good time with it because by the time it released I had already finished the main game and had more than enough money to just build everything at once.

The Amorous Adventures of Bold Sir Hans Capon is better than From the Ashes but it really just adds two quests and only one of them is actually about Hans Capon (and that was the short quest). That was especially disappointing since Hans was the main reason I bought the DLC. The quests were fun but overall too short and there just wasn't enough content.

Band of Bastards has been my favorite so far and also the cheapest of the bunch. It's more combat-focused and adds some cool new characters but they could have been a bit more fleshed out. Also, it finally added some new armor. But this one again is too short.

I wouldn't recommend any of the DLCs at full price and even at a discount only if you enjoyed the base game. None of them are bad per se but they just aren't worth 10€ respectively 8€.

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the GiantBomb Quicklook of Sunless Skies and the game isn't remotely what I thought it was.
Anybody here played it? I'm curious how "randomly generated" it feels. Do the people you hire actually have stories or personalities or is it all just one paragraph of text and the rest is all "[Character X]: I am [negative emotion] by this [creature]. We should get out of [location] otherwise I will [negative action]"?
Are the quests randomly generated?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sure you can, but then you have to admit that the games you want would have the exact same drop-off

hence why it's a dumb criteria.

Counter Strike didn't and again I laugh at your comparison to single player games like Spiderman and God of War to a game like Artifact. Now mind telling me again why Artifact is only on Steam?

Did PUBG fall to below 1,000 concurrent players in the first month? Did Spiderman and God of War fall out of the top 100 games played so quickly?

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018

144 games, a number that can easily be achieved by adding free games and buying some bundles so really not impressive anyway, doesn't excuse your hostile and highly antagonistic posting style in every Valve-related thread of the past few months. And we didn't come out of the woodwork, you randomly stumbled into this thread in which you never regularly particpate in and started to do your usual thing. Bored on a slow Sunday? And btw if you think it's all about praising Gaben in here that's more proof of talking out of your ass, many were unhappy how Rape Day got handled for example.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm only casting doubt on those who think Valve/Steam can do no wrong. Why is it totally acceptable to shit on Microsoft/Epic/EA and Bethesda but not Valve? They all host their own storefronts and they all do game development. And yes some peoples priorities are different, I care more about playing a game like Forza Horizon than Linux and wish some other good game from Valve would come out again. That's not too much to ask is it, same thing you guys are asking about better stores.
And who's saying that? I don't mind Steam criticisms if they're fair, but have you seen some of the recent PC Gamer articles? They published factually wrong articles and that's the problem I'm having with them.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
The stealth in Kingdom Come in hysterical, got caught looting a corpse and started a 17 guard death chain of investigations, paying a fine for desecration, stealth killing the guard who took my stolen goods, and repeating. Loving the game and quests tho.

Thanks for all of the info Flips!

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
144 games, a number one can easily be achieved by adding free games and buying some bundles so really not impressive anyway, doesn't excuse you hostile and highly antagonistic posting style in every Valve-related thread since forever. And we didn't come out of the woodwork, you randomly stumbled into this thread in which you never regularly particpate in and started to do your usual thing.

You're accusing me of being hostile yet that's the second time now you are generalizing all my commenst at hate towards Steam. That's a pretty blatant lie if I ever seen one. Welcome to my ignore list and just to add to your bullshit conspiracy I just bought Dirt Rally 2 and bought Hitman 2 on Steam, so tell me again what Humble Bundle that was in?

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
This idea that no one in here throws any critism Valve's way is absurd. Anybody would know that If they spent more than 5 minutes in this thread.

It's the same as being labeled "no Steam no buy" in Epic threads. The dumbest argument that has no thought behind it.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Counter Strike didn't and again I laugh at your comparison to single player games like Spiderman and God of War to a game like Artifact. Now mind telling me again why Artifact is only on Steam?

Did PUBG fall to below 1,000 concurrent players in the first month? Did Spiderman and God of War fall out of the top 100 games played so quickly?
You're the one using user drop-offs as a metric, not me.
And yes, Spiderman and God of War fell out of the top 100 concurrent games very quickly. Welcome to how literally every single player game ever made.
If you knew jackshit about Artifact, you'd know that it's only on Steam to prevent the manipulation of the game's economy.
This idea that no one in here throws any critism Valve's way is absurd. Anybody would know that If they spent more than 5 minutes in this thread.

It's the same as being labeled "no Steam no buy" in Epic threads. The dumbest argument that has no thought behind it.
It's his one note. Never gonna stop pressing it, apparently.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
The only thing I'd like is being able to stream my games to my iphone and ipad using their app instead of relying on splashtop, since I suppose the former would be better.

Apple rejected the SteamLink app for iOS....

And yes some peoples priorities are different, I care more about playing a game like Forza Horizon than Linux and wish some other good game from Valve would come out again. That's not too much to ask is it, same thing you guys are asking about better stores.

The thing is it is far more healthy for the whole PC ecosystem to have stuff like Proton, an App to stream content to every Android device (and Apple device if it wouldnt have been rejected), a VR system, new APIs, free anticheat software for devs to use and free dedicated servers for devs to use, free cloudsaves, free storage, family sharing etc. than having a 10 hour game that is done after playing through it once.

I also dont use Linux, but I think it's great that Valve put money to develop a solution that 99% of Windows games can be played on Linux now for Linux players. Something that no one really developed before.

Also Valve is developing Valley of Gods now.

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I never implied everyone does this, that's ridiculous, but as you can see some are very quick to attack anyone who does.

You're the one using user drop-offs as a metric, not me.
And yes, Spiderman and God of War fell out of the top 100 concurrent games very quickly. Welcome to how literally every single player game ever made.
If you knew jackshit about Artifact, you'd know that it's only on Steam to prevent the manipulation of the game's economy.
It's his one note. Never gonna stop pressing it, apparently.

So in other words it's not a traditional single player game? Thank's for finally admitting that. If you just read my comment about it not being a game that intrerest me we wouldn't have this back and forth but it seems like you just like to argue about semantics all day long.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

lol, I'm guessing its someone who doesnt even do much of PC gaming.

Anyways, for me the main complaint I have with Valve is their customer service and when you send in a helpdesk ticket - the time of response for me at the least for two different occasions were 1 month which is absurd while EA's Origin customer service responded back to me in the same day.

Cant speak much on customer service wise, cause very rarely do I send in a ticket (cause I rarely have any issues that I cant fix).

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
You're accusing me of being hostile yet that's the second time now you are generalizing all my commenst at hate towards Steam. That's a pretty blatant lie if I ever seen one. Welcome to my ignore list and just to add to your bullshit conspiracy I just bought Dirt Rally 2 and bought Hitman 2 on Steam, so tell me again what Humble Bundle that was in?

Too bad you didn't come in here to talk about Rally and Hitman then but are instead confirming yet again what I must assume your intentions are.

Anyways, for me the main complaint I have with Valve is their customer service and when you send in a helpdesk ticket - the time of response for me at the least for two different occasions were 1 month which is absurd while EA's Origin customer service responded back to me in the same day.

Did that happen lately? By all accounts their reaction time has improved significantly, haven't heard of any horror stories which we regularly got years ago.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never implied everyone does this, that's ridiculous, but as you can see some are very quick to attack anyone who does.

So in other words it's not a traditional single player game? Thank's for finally admitting that. If you just read my comment about it not being a game that intrerest me we wouldn't have this back and forth but it seems like you just like to argue about semantics all day long.
You used that drop-off criteria as if it meant anything regarding you being interested. Why would you bring something that irrelevant up is beyond me. The drop off has jackshit to do with you being interested or not.

I also find hilarious that you think you saying that you're not interested in a game is "criticising" lmao

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol, I'm guessing its someone who doesnt even do much of PC gaming.

I use Steam almost daily, thanks. My only complaint was about Valve and it's lack of games (that interest me) and how quick people are to attack anyone who criticizes Valve, can we not move on?

You used that drop-off criteria as if it meant anything regarding you being interested. Why would you bring something that irrelevant up is beyond me. The drop off has jackshit to do with you being interested or not.

I also find hilarious that you think you saying that you're not interested in a game is "criticising" lmao

The game fell off the cliff, it was one of the quickest downfalls ever for Valve. Dota 2 didn't do that, and neither did Counter Strike. In Fact I don't recall any game that struggled as much. Anything else? It sure looks like some can't move on.

Besides that Valve is developing Valley of Gods, a SP game.

Awesome. I also am eagerly awaiting more of their VR push.

Soo you come here quote a article where steam is good with controllers and the first thing you come to your mind is. "i will not fall into the steam fanboy club, because they dont do the games i want".

I'm sorry, isn't this a PC gaming thread? This was the context at the time, "Unlike some outlet that call themselves 'PC Gamer' who shit on Steam all the time. "

So they shit on Valve all the time about controllers?

Status
Not open for further replies.