• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
is that a actual Life is Strange spoiler? because just like that huh? We just dont give a fuck anymore? I know its old, but its not THAT old, actually just finished ep1 today ironically. Welp...

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It's 3 years old. People need to stop being unreasonable on videogame sites about spoiler tagging stuff even a few month old let alone 3 years. Not aimed specifically at you Rhankar but others who complained about it too and who constantly have way worse reactions in other threads. Going so far as to use spoiler tags in spoiler threads.

God I wish Stump was still with us. He went ham on "spoiler jihadists" as he labeled them back in that Dark Souls thread.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
So, I don't actually come to the PC centric threads much at all but...I've got to vent a tiny bit.

Is ERA really that much more comprised of console-centric gamers and is just about everyone in favor of the Epic and it's Store's business practices pretty damn blatantly in that group? Lastly, isn't it time that the moderation gets at least a tad bit stricter with the same empty phrases à la "just another launcher", "what does steam even offer over Epic Game store" and co?

I just saw GhostTrick getting banned (2 days) for console warring and his comment certainly deserved that, but at this point, I can also hardly blame anyone turning sour for having to repeat the most basic arguments in perpetuity because just another ERA member who's likely not even interested in PC gaming in the slightest, joins the most recent Epic Store thread and proclaims their full support because "fuck yeh, competition!"

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
It's 3 years old. People need to stop being unreasonable on videogame sites about spoiler tagging stuff even a few month old let alone 3 years. Not aimed specifically at you Rhankar but others who complained about it too and who constantly have way worse reactions in other threads. Going so far as to use spoiler tags in spoiler threads.

God I wish Stump was still with us. He went ham on "spoiler jihadists" as he labeled them back in that Dark Souls thread.

I would think a CHARACTER DEATH would warrant spoiler tags for longer than 3 years, thats not even a generation worth of hardware, its not even half a generation, especailly for a game this very thread pushes down people's throats at least twice a week. I'm not even mad, just theres "spoilers" (diablo is the last boss in diablo 3 omg!) and then there's SPOILERS (
diablo is actually using dead Leah's body as a vessel
).

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
is that a actual Life is Strange spoiler? because just like that huh? We just dont give a fuck anymore? I know its old, but its not THAT old, actually just finished ep1 today ironically. Welp...

Nah I'm just talking about the opening of the game, I haven't finished Life is Strange

is what I was going to say to try and cover for that (it's my favorite game series, but I was gonna try to preserve spoilers) but

too damn late

if it matters, it depends on player choice

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't anything the mods can do, really. You can hardly ever prove that people argue in bad faith, and even in the rare cases where you can, it wouldn't warrant a ban, not right away. So unless you can prove that someone is trolling people on hundreds of instances (enough to get them permabanned, or to stop their bullshit), it won't do any good. In the meanwhile it's more likely that the people that keep "fighing the good fight" will lose their cool and of course instantly banned for it.
One slip up is then seen as an attack against all console gamers (which is super strict interpretation), but parroting the same tired lines is at worst just bad faith trolling and gets warnings, maybe short bans, and requires dozens and dozens of infractions to force more permanent actions.

I respect all of you who keep visiting those threads, but it seems to me that this is an inherently Sisyphean task. Nothing gained, and only a waste of time.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So, I don't actually come to the PC centric threads much at all but...I've got to vent a tiny bit.

Is ERA really that much more comprised of console-centric gamers and is just about everyone in favor of the Epic and it's Store's business practices pretty damn blatantly in that group? Lastly, isn't it time that the moderation gets at least a tad bit stricter with the same empty phrases à la "just another launcher", "what does steam even offer over Epic Game store" and co?

I just saw GhostTrick getting banned (2 days) for console warring and his comment certainly deserved that, but at this point, I can also hardly blame anyone turning sour for having to repeat the most basic arguments in perpetuity because just another ERA member who's likely not even interested in PC gaming in the slightest, joins the most recent Epic Store thread and proclaims their full support because "fuck yeh, competition!"
I mean, the guy he was answering too said why we were so aggressive after he basically called for ending infinite backwards compatibility in PC. It was so freaking weird of an statement that it was clearly coming from a console gamer.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
User banned (5 Days): History of hostility towards members and staff
Lastly, isn't it time that the moderation gets at least a tad bit stricter with the same empty phrases à la "just another launcher", "what does steam even offer over Epic Game store" and co?

I saw a mod in the latest Jim Sterling thread going down that line of reasoning, competion and so on, we know the drill. If anything it's getting worse.

I'll err on the side of using spoiler-tags whenever possible and there never should be a timelimit. Of course some spoilers become so well know that it doesn't matter anymore but really important plot points should always be handled with caution. This is of course personal preference but afair Stump was more angry about really, really minor aspects of games getting 'spoiled'. Like how many chapters there are or names of enemies. Or E3 announcements.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I would think a CHARACTER DEATH would warrant spoiler tags for longer than 3 years, thats not even a generation worth of hardware, its not even half a generation, especailly for a game this very thread pushes down people's throats at least twice a week. I'm not even mad, just theres "spoilers" (diablo is the last boss in diablo 3 omg!) and then there's SPOILERS (
).
It sucks for that one guy who is going to start playing Diablo 3 10 years after it first came out, sure, but this is absolutely a case of cost vs. benefit. Saving that one guy from a spoiler is not worth shitting up discussion about the topic with a bunch of pointless spoiler tags.

As for Diablo 3, I love how it makes you re-contextualize the Azmodan cinematic (he's not talking to Leah—he's talking to Diablo). I know the story was clumsy and got cut up too much for the type of game it was (they removed a lot of the narrative elements), but it still had some thought put into it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if the IP owner is at the point of making content like that Life is Strange comic cover, the spoiler memorandum is up.

Just like Mark Hammil talking about Han Solo and whatnot recently.

A tangent. There's a thread on reddit today that's basically the ending of the Jinx and it has some people complaining about spoilers. It's a real life thing, unless you're just not consuming news you already heard what happened.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the guy he was answering too said why we were so aggressive after he basically called for ending infinite backwards compatibility in PC. It was so freaking weird of an statement that it was clearly coming from a console gamer.

Yeh, maybe I should've rather worded it as "his statement by itself deserves a warning/ban" because I certainly agree that in context, especially considering how long GhostTrick provided proper argumentations against Epic Store business practices, it's not unjustified (well, still bad generalization).

Anyway, describing visits to those threads as Sisyphean tasks puts it nicely...

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
User banned (1 Week): History of hostility towards members and staff

There are mods who join the Epic cheer squad themselves. Quoted one here:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/screw-steam-the-jimquisition.104661/page-12#post-18740852

No response, don't expect one either. How much shit eating would you have to do to look at those feature lists and still go "Yeah, I'll side with Epic on this one?" lol.

We have a few mods who do care about PC, but by and large, I mean... the reality is this is a console-centric forum with volunteer staff made-up from that userbase. I've personally given up on any type of standard being maintained in PC-threads that aren't help/OT's.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
).
I definitely agree. I'll always spoiler tag significant story beats or talk around them because I would be bummed if they were spoiled for me. I don't want to be that kind of asshole.
I don't need to be specific about what happens in game x when people who have played it will know exactly what I mean even if I'm vague. Easy enough.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
ERA has an issue with bad faith arguments and ignorance. Whether that be related to Hillary Clinton, Dark Souls, Nintendo or PC/Valve/Steam. I warned mods/admin of it months ago

Letting posters come in and spread misinformation, with no penalties, emboldens the worst, does nothing but create a more toxic environment for the Steam threads in future, and allows misinformation and literal "fake news" to take root.

That was in response to the same thing happening in the Steam Competitor's thread in December.

I don't bother with correcting bad information/misinformation in those threads now. ERA mods/admin seem to want a Facebook situation where "more conversation which is inaccurate" is regarded as better than "more accuracy and more moderation". So fine, they can have that. I'm not going to be a voluntary "information corrector" for this site.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

Those people are just not worth engaging with anymore. At this point it's transitioning to straight trolling so fuck it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, you can talk about moderation in general and complain about them, but dont single the mods out. They normally take it badly.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like I'm indirectly getting people banned here now who are voicing criticism at mods. I hope the "History of hostility" actually applies because otherwise the respective comments here hardly seem worth a ban.

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
I'm way less critical of the Epic Store and of people defending it than most in this thread (I honestly think some of you go too far at times), but what the fuck, what warranted the two bans on the posters just above? I cannot see why that was needed at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
It is why I usually step on my foot if I leave this thread. Its pretty much idiocracy across the board.

They are extremely biased.

For that ban, the mods need to link proof. I am going through the posters history and so far it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the mods are all knowing beings and their mistakes can't be pointed out lmao
You can complain all you want, just not link directly as they think it leads to Doxxing (regardless of it wasnt intentional at all). single out mods.
It isn't the issue of linking directly, and it isn't the issue of doxxing. It's an issue of hostility by signaling out a single member of staff. Anyone can make general references about staff, but if you start saying, "Man that mod sucks ass" that'll get you a ban real quick. "Man Era mods suck ass" that's fine

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Not worth arguing over about it, people wont change. Just move on and play games yo.

Edit: Referring to users in the discussion I mean.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
ERA has an issue with bad faith arguments and ignorance. Whether that be related to Hillary Clinton, Dark Souls, Nintendo or PC/Valve/Steam. I warned mods/admin of it months ago

That was in response to the same thing happening in the Steam Competitor's thread in December.

I don't bother with correcting bad information/misinformation in those threads now. ERA mods/admin seem to want a Facebook situation where "more conversation which is inaccurate" is regarded as better than "more accuracy and more moderation". So fine, they can have that. I'm not going to be a voluntary "information corrector" for this site.
Yes, not worth it. Just ignore the threads and move on.

Let them have their 'fun'.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
You can complain all you want, just not link directly as they think it leads to Doxxing (regardless of it wasnt intentional at all).

Linking to respective ERA example posts is considered Doxxing now? That doesn't seem right. Hopefully, we are allowed to point out criticism to even individual mods, and not just via PMs to other mods. Obviously, name-calling is another matter.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Linking to respective ERA example posts is considered Doxxing now? That doesn't seem right. Hopefully, we are allowed to point out criticism to even individual mods, and not just via PMs to other mods. Obviously, name-calling is another matter.
Gotta edit it:
It isn't the issue of linking directly, and it isn't the issue of doxxing. It's an issue of hostility by signaling out a single member of staff. Anyone can make general references about staff, but if you start saying, "Man that mod sucks ass" that'll get you a ban real quick. "Man Era mods suck ass" that's fine

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like I'm indirectly getting people banned here now who are voicing criticism at mods. I hope the "History of hostility" actually applies because otherwise the respective comments here hardly seem worth a ban.
It doesn't apply, at all. Back when the name change shitshow started they banned and threatenet me with a permaban if i ever criticised moderation again, and the posts they presented to me were mostly light hearted jabs or honest criticism.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Mlaczx8.jpg

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Barely worth talking about Steam/Epic here in Era. Most threads can be resumed to a bunch of console players talking a load of crap and anyone that has been gaming on PC long enough to know this shit that Epic is doing will only hurt us, trying to explain why this is bad, only for 20 more threads to pop up with the same fucking people saying how this "competition" Epic is doing is needed. Shit's tiring, there's no energy to explain the same shit in every thread.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Mods/admins are obviously going to do nothing given the history of this thread so it's best just to completely ignore all Epic threads since not a single person within has been convinced or changed their mind after anyone here has responded to them.

Not going to leave the site tho since the moderation on the other hand makes this one of the few lbgt friendly forums on the web and I can't and won't deal with that garbage anymore.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
The stance on PC gaming on Era is uncaring at best, both regular users and mods like to troll in threads related to Steam and the EGS. It's disappointing that they are banning member just for complaining about behaviour that's bannable in other situations. They're starting to do the same things they critisised the old GAF mods for.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm so torn.

SimAirport is -40% for the next 17 hours but I'm unsure if I should pull the trigger.

I've got both SA and Airport CEO on my Wishlist but I've been in a holding pattern (heh) as both are in Early Access and I've been waiting to see how they shake out at final release.

I do remember digging around months ago for "vs." impressions and while I've forgotten the details, CEO must've come out ahead as I placed it near the top of my Wishlist for future reference.

But man, that -40% is pretty damn tempting. Doubt I'll see a discount that deep for quite some time.

Decisions decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.