• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
I don't understand the comment from the person at Epic where he says "Epic is controlled by Tim Sweeney." Is that supposed to make us feel better, because it absolutely doesn't make me feel better.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe less than a year ago I liked Epic, Sweeney, Sergey, SteamSpy, etc.

Amazing how that all went to nothing

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the comment from the person at Epic where he says "Epic is controlled by Tim Sweeney." Is that supposed to make us feel better, because it absolutely doesn't make me feel better.
Because of the Tencent investment in Epic, people have been raising the specter of Chinese surveillance.

This is just saying that it's not a ploy by the PLA to get your Steam information.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I don't understand the comment from the person at Epic where he says "Epic is controlled by Tim Sweeney."

A bunch of people on Reddit asked if they were collecting the info on behalf of the Chinese government (who owns half of Epic), so the spokesperson is reminding everyone that this shitshow is entirely controlled by Tim Sweeney.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
So what did Epic do exactly is it actually malware?
The "client" is just a web browser, so it behaves like one, and they also create a local copy of your Steam data so that you can opt-in to the friend-sharing feature.

They appear to collect far more than they need, but they say that it doesn't actually get sent anywhere. My guess is that it's future-proofing for stealing some more functionality from Steam (like profile sharing or something).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The "client" is just a web browser, so it behaves like one, and they also create a local copy of your Steam data so that you can opt-in to the friend-sharing feature.

They appear to collect far more than they need, but they say that it doesn't actually get sent anywhere. My guess is that it's future-proofing for stealing some more functionality from Steam (like profile sharing or something).
The real question would be why they are looking through your local files instead of using the API developed by Steam to share friends. There is a simple Steam API that Valve provides to do that and actually complies with privacy settings, while this method doesnt. So this leaves 2 options:
-They want friend information without going through privacy setting issues
-Steam is a bad guy and forces anyone that uses the API to put the Steam logo and they really just want to put the name in a non logo form.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The real question would be why they are looking through your local files instead of using the API developed by Steam to share friends. There is a simple Steam API that Valve provides to do that and actually complies with privacy settings, while this method doesnt. So this leaves 2 options:
-They want friend information without going through privacy setting issues
-Steam is a bad guy and forces anyone that uses the API to put the Steam logo and they really just want to put the name in a non logo form.

Well, we know what the future articles from PC Gamer, RPS and Polygon will be. :p

Late edit:

Relatedly, one of the things I want from the new Steam client UI is the ability to remove sources from the "Recent News" section of the Games Library. I haven't wanted to give RPS my time in months/years, yet the top-most piece of news for Sekiro is an RPS "Steam Charts" article. Like, no! I don't like them, plsgoawaynowkthnxbye.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

This literally is a joke,

He is saying they do look at that data, but promises us they don't transmit it...

without address why he isn't using the Steam API or he is even looking at that data.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Can you still get achievements and time played in Offline mode? Shared my game library with my younger cousin and don't want him to not be able to play when I'm also playing something and all my stuff is sp

Edit: nevermind I learned how to google. No cheevo timestamps or time played. People will think I'm a cheater ;-;

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Steam is offering a simple API for all of this, their explanation is a bunch of horseshit.
And who'd ever trust them not to start sending the data when they feel like it? Knowing them, they'd probably come up with a bullshit reason about offering devs more data or something.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least that shit must be embarassing for Sweeney and Epic. Having to defend themselves and talk about Steam constantly. Make them sound so unprofessional.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, I turned 50 today and I wasn't gonna say anything.

But my wife just surprised me with tickets to see Beck* in Aug., so I just had to share my bliss.

*Only behind Radiohead as my fave modern performing artists.

Sooo........hype!

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I saw Radiohead live at a music festival and they were unbelievable(Yorke actually has a good voice!) as were the insane production values of the light show. 2 hours plus
Almost wish I hadn't been tripping lol.

Happy birthday!

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
dApmQh8.png

Someone called this one

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Welp, I turned 50 today and I wasn't gonna say anything.

But my wife just surprised me with tickets to see Beck* in Aug., so I just had to share my bliss.

*Only behind Radiohead as my fave modern performing artists.

Sooo........hype!
Happy Birthday Aaron! Hope you have an awesome day. Keep up with the not mainstream recommendations, for your personal taste shares many similarities to mine :)

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I have noticed a what looks like a pattern with PC Gamer.

Every time there's a piece of news that either i) makes Valve look good or ii) makes Epic look iffy

There's usually a second article (often from sometime earlier) about something good Epic did.

Cases in point:
The coming of the Master Chief collection to Steam was followed by reprinting the at the time day-old intervied Sweeney did for MCV about the "nearly perfect" state of the market.

Today's news about data-mining accusations are followed by reprinting the news that earlier today Epic announced its roadmap for the store.

I'll have to keep watching whether there's going to be a consistent trend over time.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if I add a script to my game which reads Chrome passwords. This is now okay because it's Chrome's fault for having them laying around waiting for me?

Are everyones personal documents, photos, etc, all fair game because they are just laying around? I mean, if they didn't want them stolen, they would encrypt them obviously.

Good to know!

I wouldn't do this, I'm not a criminal.

Last edited:

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017

This is the stupidest fucking response that just tries to deflect the question by hiding behind a poor argument.
I have a lot of personal data "lying around" on my PC.
So, if I download an application from a supposedly reputable source, is it my fucking fault if this program accesses and processes this data without requesting authorisation?

Fanta

May 27, 2018
GOG, Origin, Discord and other stores use the Steam API for user information just fine.

Guess it's okay for me to just go into someone's computer and make copies of their private files cause if they didn't want them stolen they wouldn't have put them there to begin with, clearly.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
GOG, Origin, Discord and other stores use the Steam API for user information just fine.

Guess it's okay for me to just go into someone's computer and make copies of their private files cause if they didn't want them stolen they wouldn't have put them there to begin with, clearly.

You just have to say that you took copies, but you didn't look at them while you were copying them, and you're not going to ever, until they let you, pinky swear.

Do these people even listen to how they sound?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
This is the stupidest fucking response that just tries to deflect the question by hiding behind a poor argument.
I have a lot of personal data "lying around" on my PC.
So, if I download an application from a supposedly reputable source, is it my fucking fault if this program accesses and processes this data without requesting authorisation?

yes.

Now, if valve curated its store properly, none of this would have happened.

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.