• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
rX5ji85.jpg

Thanks for the birthday props, gang.

Smokie got a couple teeth pulled yesterday so I've been kinda anxious.

He's feeling much better today, but he does look like a dork with all his bonking into everything wearing his new cone, lol.

Poor bastard.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
dApmQh8.png

Someone called this one

"I caught one of the guests at my house party looking through the personal documents in my file cabinet."

"Well, why are you just leaving that stuff lying around, open and accessible to any guest that wants it?"

Give me a break. The amount of slack websites are giving these guys is comical.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
When Dragon Quest 11 gets a new update and you have the orchestra mod installed

Can't wait for Baba is You to make me feel like a fool. Need to get back to Stephen's Sausage Roll and prevent my brain from atrophying. Plus that game doesn't have a thread on the site yet and I can make a lttp and feel smart.

Last edited:

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
They are certainly doing a nice build up to the PC Gaming Show at E3, it's going to be a true spectacle.

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
At E3 epic will just announce that they have now hacked every pc with the egs launcher on it and are now mass deleting people's steam games

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Like I know it doesn't matter but going offline and having my playtime not sync up when I go back online is rather annoying when it evens tell you how long you've played something in offline mode before just erasing it. Playtimes will be all fucked up for helping my family out tsk.

Oh well, learn to not care about numbers because I can't take it back without being an ass lol. Steam should adjust sharing to allow simultaneous playing to some extent like consoles.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
That's just... Nah man, that's not what a reporter/journalist should do. You want to be an opinion writer, sure, show your bias. But a news article needs more. Bloody shameful.

I was going to post a reply on the PCG article, but what's the point? The cluelessness here is crazy.

Happy Birthday Aaron D.
I mean, that's just it. PC Gamer isn't a journalistic entity at all. In fact, if you get down to it, they probably don't even claim to be, I certainly don't think they actually require a degree in journalism for their hires. No one in games writing does. They are enthusiast press, merely entertainment and/or consumer info guides.

I feel most people who only give PC gaming a cursory glance see Steam as this dominant factor in it. Steam's everywhere.
Well, that can't be good. We need competition! That's what comes into your mind right away. Of course, there is lots of competition, just not very effective one when it comes to feature set Steam offers. Except, if you only give PC gaming a cursory glance, that stuff is invisible. As is stuff like League of Legends, or most Blizzard stuff (seen as console games), and so so forth. So, clearly Steam is a mOnOpOly.

So it's easy for Epic to swoop in, and portray whatever they do as "good" in this light, no matter how it curtails consumer choice. Hell, Sweeney openly talks about how the only way to "compete" is by exclusives, and speaking about how consumers already have it pretty good, and so implicitly justifes taking away choices.
I don't believe that the media is "in the pocket of Epic". It's just a story that is very easy to fall for. At the same time, Valve has never been an entity that cared much about ... well anything, really. Even when do care, they have the reaction speed of a comatose tortoise.

Add those two together, and I doubt we will see much negative reporting on Epic.

Maybe years down the line:
"The dark story of how Epic Store became a household name"
"10 Things You Never Knew about Moneyhatting and Epic"

" SHOCKING! You won't believe how many people thought this was "competition""

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
With the Christchurch shooting being linked to a certain place I hope everyone at THQNordic feels like shit for what they did. But no consequences ever happened so they will continue to ignore the entire thing.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's just it. PC Gamer isn't a journalistic entity at all. In fact, if you get down to it, they probably don't even claim to be, I certainly don't think they actually require a degree in journalism for their hires. No one in games writing does. They are enthusiast press, merely entertainment and/or consumer info guides.

You're absolutely right, here. I was all for going in on Chalk's atrocious response on the PCG site, by linking to the Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics ( https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp ) and asking if it was possible for him/the site to at least attempt to aim for the highest possible standards, akin to actual media. But, yeah, they'd just claim they weren't beholden to the ethics standards as they aren't actual journalists. I might still post it (my Disqus email confirmation has finally arrived), but the whole hobbyist press is so disingenuous in how it presents itself. I could forgive it in the 80s and 90s - shit-talking Nintendo and Atari and kids (literally not even adults, in some cases) doing big jobs like reviewing and reporting... But now? Urgh.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
With the Christchurch shooting being linked to a certain place I hope everyone at THQNordic feels like shit for what they did. But no consequences ever happened so they will continue to ignore the entire thing.

I still can't believe they signal boosted that place. What the hell were they thinking?

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
just want to say fuck nazis of all kinds and i look forward to the day we scare them back to their rat holes where they belong

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Screw it... posted a comment there.
I know it's a big ask, wanting hobbyist publications to hold to the very highest journalistic standards, but maybe have a look at this: https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp And ask yourself if this article is the very best reporting that yourself and PCG could do. At the very least

– Provide context. Take special care not to misrepresent or oversimplify in promoting, previewing or summarizing a story.​

and
– Diligently seek subjects of news coverage to allow them to respond to criticism or allegations of wrongdoing​

Would seem to indicate that your article should not have been published so quickly. Contrary to your comment that this is "not a technical analysis of how Steam and Epic handle, protect, and share your data" such information is extremely relevant to the context of the story, and gives readers more depth and awareness of why this might be an issue. Plus, it's just a basic journalistic tenet that both parties of a story be allowed to respond to criticism/make a statement.

I'm fully aware that there's probably no-one within PC Gamer who is a member of the SPJ, but that does not mean such standards should not be aimed for, regardless.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Sweeney In full damage control.

Ironically on that Phoenix Point subreddit where this all begin.

Now he is blaming that they made kludgr code to link steam friend lists and didn't do it right but we should beleive that nothing bad is happening because they were just snooping around for our benefit.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I just realized that Valve changed privacy settings in April 2018, and Epic started copying Steam usage file like 2 weeks later in May 2018.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. I was actually really liking that comment when I saw it on their site. Good job!

Why thank you. :D

Wasn't that when Steamspy went hiatus briefly because Galyonkin can't freely scrape Steam users public profile data (particularly the list of owned games) anymore?

Fake edit: Yes he did

So weird how everything connects.

Edit: I assume everyone here is keeping up with the Epic Collecting Steam info thread, but just in case not...
Doug Krauss
@CommodoreKong

If this is true how is that Sergey Galyonkin knew what percentage of Fortnite players have Steam installed and how many regularly use it?

Tim Sweeney
@TimSweeneyEpic

Epic contracted VGM (a market research firm) to do a survey of Fortnite players on PC to understand a wide range of details of how they play games.

https://twitter.com/CommodoreKong/status/1106428000806031360

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

Happy birthday, Aaron!

Now, if valve curated its store properly, none of this would have happened. /s

True.

[Surely] we can help gamers find a game they'd like to play. [...] It seems that Valve is trying at least two approaches: [curators], [news feed].
And, [...] there is a resurgence of small publishers [which] work as curators fostering their audience [...]

Maybe Valve won't be the one to fix the problem after all. Maybe the market will balance itself as it did before that. But until that, enjoy the current situation, it probably won't last.

Reference: https://galyonk.in/why-wont-steam-filter-new-games-1f247acf6d9c (2016)

Wasn't that when Steamspy went hiatus briefly because Galyonkin can't freely scrape Steam users public profile data (particularly the list of owned games) anymore?

Fake edit: Yes he did

This explains why Sergey does not want to rely on Steam API: he knows that Valve could change the API just to annoy Epic.

I will keep on iterating the new algorithm while slowly bringing back the core functions of Steam Spy. It will take some time and it's still possible that Valve will make another move to shut down the service, but until that happens, Steam Spy will continue to operate.

Reference: https://galyonk.in/whats-going-on-with-steam-spy-deed5d699233 (2018)

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Your avatar is throwing me off, I thought for a second it was Tim tweeting.

Hello svacina,

I thought, as the owner of the most popular gaming storefront on the PC, i should "throw myself into the ring" and engage more proactively with the pc gaming communities of the world wide web.

If you have any question to ask about the Epic Game Store, do not hesitate to ask, I'll gladly answer.

Please download Fortnite
https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What a ridiculous response. So if some malware is stealing my personal pictures of my wife and kids, it's my own fault because I didn't encrypt them?

And he's actually refusing to look any further into this?

This is really sad...

What site is that from? That is some of the most dense reasoning I've read in a while.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I want to state for the record that the reason we sponsor PCGamer is sorely the fact that we want to support great journalism and wish to see it thrive.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have some questions regarding the Nvidia Shield TV for gamestream?

I'm moving to my new apartment today (fuck yes!) and I'll be changing up my entertainment setup. The PC will no longer reside behind the TV and will now be in a separate area of the apartment where I will get a height adjustable desk and one of those 49" 32:9 samsung super ultrawide monitors so I can use it for work as well as sim racing.

For the rest of my gaming I'd still like to do so in the living room on the OLED with my surround sound setup. Will the Shield TV facilitate this and does gamestream work with surround sound (5.1) systems?

Also what's the best router for this kind of setup? In this setup I can connect the nvidia shield to the router via a wired connection but the main PC will likely have to connect to the router via WiFi. So a strong and reliable WiFi connection is a must.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Honestly.

I am pretty sure all those "journos" are hypocrites. Let's say all the exclusive games are not exclusive but available on GOG, EGS, Steam, UWP. They, if they dont get a review copy sent or just for private use, would still choose Steam in 95% of cases because they know it is still a better client if they use it as a consumer.

It's like those guys here on Era saying how EGS isnt bad and cool that devs get a better cut, but following with: "But I will buy it on Switch for portability."

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
About the PCGamer (and most gaming magazines), it mainly is an issue of:
-Gaming journalism being pretty hobbyist and them trying to enter the bussiness, so they are much closer to developers / publishers than customers sometimes.
-PC Gaming being a minority in most of the big magazines (and most of the writers in the pc magazines being nowadays more used to the console like experience Steam brought into PC).
-Valve having an awful PR department. Media still makes jokes about how bad Steam Support is when they have improved a lot in the last years.
-Valve having some questionable choices (That should be discussed)
-Epic being quite pro media and decent at marketing themselves.

Again, it seems you guys forget how even before this, the most cases before you already saw mostly anti-Steam news, this is nothing new. For fucks sake, Discord store got a welcoming of a leader when it was announced!

Stop reading too much into it, it is not that the media itself is biased by default against Steam, but rather that the previous history of Steam (with some of the questionable decisions and not being clear with the media) and the push Epic did to label Valve as bad for developers and how they are murdering Indies for years; created the notion that Steam is a monopoly and everything is fair.

Also, about sponsored content, that is how they make money, as long as they label it correctly and doesnt affect other content, it shouldnt be an issue.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Given the news of the day, I really doubt the poster was talking about EGS, which seems pretty miniscule right now.
Sorry then, as a non-native english speaker who barely looks to other threads outside PC ERA sometimes it's hard for me to understand about what you guys are talking right now. I agree that too much crap happens lately even outside EGS, and it's very sad

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
-Epic being quite pro media and decent at marketing themselves.

This is a big one. Look how quickly Epic responded to this current issue, look how much Galyonkin tweets about things. If you give the press statements, they'll talk about them.

Compare that to how long it took Steam to act on that recent game.

Status
Not open for further replies.