• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
I just got an email from Epic about Division 2. Not ever had one from them before. Turns out i have an account from when they gave away Shadow Complex but haven't logged into it for at least a year or two. Dont know why they would now just start sending me emails? I never subscribed to receive marketing stuff.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I just got an email from Epic about Division 2. Not ever had one from them before. Turns out i have an account from when they gave away Shadow Complex but haven't logged into it for at least a year or two. Dont know why they would now just start sending me emails? I never subscribed to receive marketing stuff.

Could imagine them trying to use some loophole or something. Also want people that use UE4 knowing that they're selling games now.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So you want to delete your account, huh? Don't you want to play The division 2 and other hot games coming out exclusively on the fresh new Epic Game Store, the saviour of the 1% of indie developers PC Gaming?
Talking about The Division 2. When they shared their timeline for EGS, they actually showed why The Divsion 2 in game microtransactions only give money to uPlay. They do not have EGS overlay so they are not able to make money out of them (yet).

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Talking about The Division 2. When they shared their timeline for EGS, they actually showed why The Divsion 2 in game microtransactions only give money to uPlay. They do not have EGS overlay so they are not able to make money out of them (yet).

What were they doing the last three years with their launcher if the store has been in the planning for years apparently? And what would've been their plan if Fortnite Battle Royal wouldn't have taken off so they can buy their way into the market? Everything about this store seems amateurish and I'm supposed to use "just another free client" and trust them with payment info and my private data.

I will make a note of these for the next hoghlight thread
Thanks.

You're welcome!

Edit.: Read the Eurogamer article about the data accusations. Why does every news about the Epic Game Store contain a dig at "disgruntled hardcore PC gamers that got their jimmies rustled by Epic"? Like, what the fuck? There is nothing gained by including this.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Hektor has been assimilated.

XW4SLo8.gif

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
What were they doing the last three years with their launcher if the store has been in the planning for years apparently? And what would've been their plan if Fortnite Battle Royal wouldn't have taken off so they can buy their way into the market? Everything about this store seems amateurish and I'm supposed to use "just another free client" and trust them with payment info and my private data.

You're welcome!

Edit.: Read the Eurogamer article about the data accusations. Why does every news about the Epic Game Store contain a dig at "disgruntled hardcore PC gamers that got their jimmies rustled by Epic"? Like, what the fuck? There is nothing gained by including this.

It keeps their narrative consistent and allows them to marginalize legitimate concerns as just another complaint from "that small group of steam diehards"

Also, by making Steam seem like some kind of a cult, they are reinforcing their perception that Steam is a bad, it's a monopoly, etc.

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017
The sequence where you first encounter Hela on the bridge in Hellblade VR is probably the most incredible experience I've encountered in gaming. The scale of hela towering over you and the camera work that follows in the next sequence shows off the cinematic potential of vr to an amazing degree.

Release deserves so much more press than it got, tho I suppose there's not much to be done when it both requires an expensive headset and recommends a 1080 as the baseline

Crikey you weren't wrong about the sense of scale and impact in VR. I just got to the bit at the start before the bridge door where Senua comes right up to your face and looks you right in the eyes.

Also I like how her head kind of follows what you are looking at, nice touch.

I can only play VR for an hour or two before i get a bit of a head ache so will continue this game later but it is pretty impressive.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Coming from the future. Ranked #2 at Ukraine's programming Olympics. Looking for Gabe Newell. Терміна́тор.

73U7xef.png

Last edited:

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ

Nothing gained? Well Epics favour is worth all of it

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Wow

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...uncher-accesses-steam-data-without-permission

"Despite Epic's attempt to clear up how the Epic Games store actually works, user scrutiny and scepticism doesn't look like it's going anywhere. There appears to be a groundswell of discontent at the company's attempt to disrupt Valve's control over the PC gaming market, and a pushback on the drive for Epic Games store exclusives from the hardcore PC gaming community"

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/15/epic-games-deny-spying-allegations/

Gamingchair detectives prodding at the Epic Games Launcher recently discovered that the client scans your Steam account, investigates what other software is running on your PC, does something with Internet browser root certificates and cookies… which led to the surprising conclusion that Epic, at the behest of Chinese part-owner Tencent, are spying on us and sending our data to the Chinese government for dark purposes. Mmmmmnooo, Epic responded, that is not what's happening. Ah, the Internet!

Anti-Epic Store sentiments are riding high as they keep splashing megabucks on securing scloosies, and this was inevitable: someone with a little knowledge, enough to be dangerous, jumping to conspiratorial (and tbh kinda racist) conclusions.

Then amateur analysis was taken as fact and stripped of context and passed around the cybernet, prompting Epic to respond and try to clear it up.

As much as I might like to see Epic's exclusives not be exclusive (which tbh isn't a MASSIVE amount because I have a half-dozen clients installed anyway), let's not go instantly buying into conspiracy theories just because they justify our dislikes, yeah?

Not that RPS were ever good, but aye, they can get tae fuck the brown-nosing little shitehawks

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody can try and say games journos aren't being biased to Epic, especially when it's so blatant.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I just wanted to login to my Epic games (yes, I tried Epic survival) account to request a deletion but I can't login, the 2FA email is never arriving.

Ollolol

Nov 1, 2017
Well.. I'm not sure if this is some kind of collective stupidity/ignorance/steam hate on games media or just some fat checks from Epic flying around.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
As I expected, the games media will assist Epic in buring something like this.

This is one of the issues that arises when the media has to rely on commercial relationships with the same companies they are meant to report on, especially in an industry where access and ad space play such a big role.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I can only play VR for an hour or two before i get a bit of a head ache so will continue this game later but it is pretty impressive.
I always play with a continuous camera and no snap turning in vr since I find it so immersion breaking and Hellblade was the first game to give me real motion sickness so definitely a good idea to take breaks. Do get used to it tho or at least I did as I went from playing 30 minutes to a 2 hour session.

And absolutely unbelievable on RPS part, this goes beyond ignorance at this point and into very sketchy territory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.