• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Nuclear Throne would have made it through the EGS curation. Like, all these indie devs coming out saying how great EGS is since they keep more money, but there are hardly any good indie games on EGS, and if they are, they are some of the more well known titles. Let me know when they approve some really obscure indie game.

Nothing of Vlambeers output would be accepted on EGS - i say this as a huge Vlambeer fan.

I don't get Rami's deal, at all. He basically burnt out on Nuclear Throne, leaving a fan to deliver the final official update - yes he handed over development to someone outside of Vlambeer to do the job. His team is very successful, yet he's bitter of the platforms that enabled his success. I'm guessing he deeply resented the fact that Valve took 30% - interestingly, he has never committed Nuclear Throne to a sale.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
February 7th, they confirmed Steam, Xbox One and PS4

This is either a big lie or the deal is really recent

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Nothing of Vlambeers output would be accepted on EGS - i say this as a huge Vlambeer fan.
That's what I find funny about all these indies coming out and saying how great the revenue split is. I wonder if their tone will change when their games get rejected from EGS.

Also, we are all expecting the revenue split to change in a year, right? Like, Epic is throwing all this money at developers to be exclusive for a year, but if they aren't selling well, then Epic will need to increase their cut, yeah?

I'm hoping Epic releases sales numbers tomorrow. That has to be the biggest question on a dev's mind before going exclusive.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Isn't Zelnick basically said that you should go after consumer and not the other way? It's really strange he would accept this deal, T2 is hardly a struggling publisher too.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I hope it's not exclusive, but TBH nothing in this Epic mess would shock me anymore. Their #4thedevs stance is BS.

Also, Obsidian's history of their games being screwed due to circumstances beyond their control continues. At least, MS is gonna change that. I hope so, anyways.

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder how much money are Epic wasting for those deals, and it will be sustained for the next years to come?

FunnyJay

Oct 27, 2017
How do you use Uplay points to buy games or get discounts? I've only managed to use them to unlock game extras...

Also, I've been playing the latest Tomb Raider games. They are perfect for taking screenshots continuously during gameplay due to the GUI fading away when not necessary.
Are there any other games with similar "GUI-less" gameplay that simplifies screenshotting?

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Theoretically, if Valves lowers their cut, which apparently is the major thing devs want apart from instant success: How is this supposed to stop these moneyhats? Apart from the cut they have literally nothing. The Fortnite audience keeps playing Fortnite and we don't know how many of that is on PC. If Valve would offer the same cut they shouldn't Epic even be more aggressive with the moneyhats?

How do you use Uplay points to buy games or get discounts? I've only managed to use them to unlock game extras...

Also, I've been playing the latest Tomb Raider games. They are perfect for taking screenshots continuously during gameplay due to the GUI fading away when not necessary.
Are there any other games with similar "GUI-less" gameplay that simplifies screenshotting?

You can look here: https://welcome.club.ubisoft.com/en-US/discount/

Cordelia

Jan 25, 2019
Theoretically, if Valves lowers their cut, which apparently is the major thing devs want apart from instant success: How is this supposed to stop these moneyhats? Apart from the cut they have literally nothing. The Fortnite audience keeps playing Fortnite and we don't know how many of that is on PC. If Valve would offer the same cut they shouldn't Epic even be more aggressive with the moneyhats?

You can look here: https://welcome.club.ubisoft.com/en-US/discount/

I think it's not about the cut. Other than lower cut, as Phoenix Point devs said, Epic offer developers guaranteed minimum sales so they won't experience any loss if their game don't sale well. They won't have guaranteed minimum sales if they release it on other stores.

Veidt

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.pcgamesn.com/metro-exodus/rami-ismail-steam-epic

Rami Ismael telling Valve "sucks to be you" when Valve/Steam made him a millionaire...

This should come as no surprise to anyone that has read/heard anything he said in the last few years. His career has shifted to presenting himself as 'the voice' of the indie community and going around the world giving talks, as well as being the go to contact any time the press needs a quote from an indie developer.

In a completely unrelated subject:
Epic Games will headline next month's GamesIndustry.biz Investment Summit at PAX East.

Epic's Sergey Galyonkin, director of publishing strategy, and David Stelzer, head of Unreal Engine licensing for the Americas, will discuss the new Epic Games store and Unreal Engine programs on-stage during a special fireside chat hosted by acclaimed game developer Rami Ismail.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
So, since we are all presuming 2K has succumbed to the power of the moneyhat, does that mean RDR2 PC will start out as EGS exclusive?

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
This should come as no surprise to anyone that has read/heard anything he said in the last few years. His career has shifted to presenting himself as 'the voice' of the indie community and going around the world giving talks, as well as being the go to contact any time the press needs a quote from an indie developer.

In a completely unrelated subject:
Lmao
So, since we are all presuming 2K has succumbed to the power of the moneyhat, does that mean RDR2 PC will start out as EGS exclusive?
Ever since Epic started moneyhatting games this was legitimately my first thought: RDR2 will be exclusive on EGS.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
When are these devs gonna stop releasing console versions and giving Sony, MS, and Nintendo a cut?
Publishers have to give a cut to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to get on those platforms (and those platforms are where they earn the majority of their revenue).

Publishers do not have to give a cut to Steam to get on PC. Other than possibly expediting their plans, it's not truly the Epic store's fault that they're leaving—they were always going to leave once they had a viable alternative (for most, that meant building up their own client).

I don't expect the Epic store is going to fare any better in the long run. It's just a convenient stepping stone for publishers who already had one foot out the door.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Wouldn't Outer Worlds make it to Microsoft's storefront as well though?

No, because the game's published by Private Division (read: 2K). The game was in development long before the Microsoft acquisition, and Obsidian has to offer their current obligations.

They do get to keep the IP though, so Microsoft will be publishing any potential sequels

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
wait, didn't the steam spy guy said something about an announcement that would upset steam users when spring did arrive?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
wait, didn't the steam spy guy said something about an announcement that would upset steam users when spring did arrive?
Many announcements.

Everyone was expecting Borderlands 3, but Outer Worlds hurts. Especially since Boyarsky + Cain told Game Informer it's coming to Steam in their coverage interview last month.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Isnt there another game that is ms storr and epic store exclusive

There's supposed to be a WinStore version of Ashen as the game was advertised as Play Anywhere prior to Annapurna getting cosy with Epic, but it appears to have been put on ice alongside the Steam version. On February 5th, A44 reiterated that Play Anywhere support was still coming, but three weeks later, it responded to someone enquiring about the Steam version with "Ashen is only available on PC through the Epic Games Store until December 2019" and hasn't addressed the matter since.

Status
Not open for further replies.