• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to play Doom 1 and 2 on PC these days? I'm not a purist so I don't mind some upgrades if they aren't obnoxious.

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
I don't know, possibly, but a huge chunk of prebuilt pcs these days are configurable, and so the sites are oriented around that rather than selling a specifiic one for playing Cyberpunk. I imagine there's a few listicles out there about PCs for people interested in Alyx (or VR in general). I know Best Buy had some "Vr ready" PCs when I was last in one.

Graphics cards are simple, if it has 2000 (2060 or a 2080) in the number it's a current generation graphics card. If it was 1000 (1060 or a 1080), it's from the previous. Generally speaking, anything from the 2000 series will be better than the 1060, which is the min requirement for Alyx.

So that's why I suggested finding some that have 2XXX in the Graphics card, find some in your budget, and post here (or the Buld a PC thread) so people can give an opinion / tell you if you're getting way ripped off, that's a good baseline to start from.

Ok took your advice and here is what I came up with;

www.ibuypower.com

900703: iBUYPOWER®

Custom Gaming PC - 10 years of award-winning Custom Gaming Computers & gaming laptops custom-built for PC gamers. Build the best Gaming PC at iBUYPOWER

Is there anything in there that you would consider overkill for running the game? I would be more comfortable if I could get it down to around $800 but not at the cost of game stability. Also how much of a premium am I paying for them to build this for me, would it be significantly cheaper if I bought the parts separately and put it together myself?

I'm kind of surprised at how expensive it is, I was under the impression that $500 to $600 was the price range for a pretty decent gaming PC from posts on here.

And thank you for all the help you've already provided :)

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
As someone who has essentially no experience in PC gaming, can someone point me to a good pre-built PC that can run Half-Life Alyx on high settings at a stable frame rate?

I don't have the time or patience to learn how to build a gaming PC. I just want something that can run the game comfortably straight out of the box. Any suggestions or links to good deals will be greatly appreciated 😊

You'd be much better off buying the parts individually and paying a store/someone to put the system together, assuming there are no lockdowns in your area that render that impossible. Outside of a good sale, OEM systems are invariably poor value propositions.

Normally, with next-gen consoles supposedly still on the horizon and AMD and Nvidia both aiming to release next-gen desktop GPUs this year, I'd recommend sitting on your hands for a while longer, but there's no denying the very real possibility that the ongoing pandemic will derail those plans, so if you're ready to upgrade today, then upgrade today.

Last edited:

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
You'd be much better off buying the parts individually and paying a store/someone to put the system together, assuming there are no lockdowns in your area that render that impossible. Outside of a good sale, OEM systems are invariably poor value propositions.

Normally, with next-gen consoles supposedly still on the horizon and AMD and Nvidia both aiming to release next-gen desktop GPUs this year, I'd recommend sitting on your hands for a while longer, but there's no denying the very real possibility that the ongoing pandemic will derail those plans, so if you're ready to upgrade today, then upgrade today.

Yeah sredgrin convinced me to go down that path so now I'm looking at custom PC build websites. Any opinions on the rig I posted above? I think this pandemic is going to fuck up supply chains for a long while so I'm not going to bother sitting around hoping prices are going to drop, just going to jump in right now. I need something to do in the house all day god damn it!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok took your advice and here is what I came up with;

www.ibuypower.com

900703: iBUYPOWER®

Custom Gaming PC - 10 years of award-winning Custom Gaming Computers & gaming laptops custom-built for PC gamers. Build the best Gaming PC at iBUYPOWER

Is there anything in there that you would consider overkill for running the game? I would be more comfortable if I could get it down to around $800 but not at the cost of game stability. Also how much of a premium am I paying for them to build this for me, would it be significantly cheaper if I bought the parts separately and put it together myself?

I'm kind of surprised at how expensive it is, I was under the impression that $500 to $600 was the price range for a pretty decent gaming PC from posts on here.

And thank you for all the help you've already provided :)

It seems solid, if a bit expensive.

Re: The price, you're paying a premium for their work, this is one of the reasons people harp on building yourself, you get a large markup. The 1660 TI + CPU you chose are something that would not cost more than 370 dollars by themselves. Add in a solid MOBO (100), PSU (50), Windows 10 (50) 16GB RAM (varies wildly but let's say 70), Case (50), that's about 700ish dollars. So I'd check out other prebuilt sites and see if they have similar computers for cheaper.

Or like JaseC said, see if you have local electronics store that assemble computers. My Fry's Electronics did them for like 50 bucks I think. Though you're kind of getting a computer at the worst time right now. Assembly is unlikely due to the virus, and ordering stuff is unlikely to be cheap due to impacted supply chains.

Also if you do decide to get that one, there's a free like 2tb hard drive option they gave you, might as well take it even if you have no plans to use it right away.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
What's the best way to play Doom 1 and 2 on PC these days? I'm not a purist so I don't mind some upgrades if they aren't obnoxious.

IMO, prboom+ is the best choice.

It has small QOL features that Chocolate/Crispy Doom don't have (much higher resolutions, unlocked frame rate, boom compatibility) without making the sorts of major changes that zdoom and its derivatives introduce.

The one downside is that it's a bit of a hassle to configure. You'll definitely want to turn on secret discovery indicators, and I think it may default to making the sprites look blurry, which is probably worth disabling.

Also, if you enjoy your time with the Doom 1, you may want to check out SIGIL, an unofficial 5th episode designed by John Romero. If you're still having fun after Doom 2, Plutonia (included in Final Doom) is worth playing as well. It's tough, but a really good campaign.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yeah sredgrin convinced me to go down that path so now I'm looking at custom PC build websites. Any opinions on the rig I posted above? I think this pandemic is going to fuck up supply chains for a long while so I'm not going to bother sitting around hoping prices are going to drop, just going to jump in right now. I need something to do in the house all day god damn it!

Although it's a custom build, as sredgrin notes, it's still an OEM system. Looks like Newegg doesn't offer any sort of assembly service at all, which seems absurd to me, but Microcenter, Fry's and B&H do. If they've closed down or don't have retail stores in your area, I'd still try contacting them to see if it's possible to place an online order that includes assembly.

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
It seems solid, if a bit expensive.

Re: The price, you're paying a premium for their work, this is one of the reasons people harp on building yourself, you get a large markup. The 1660 TI + CPU you chose are something that would not cost more than 370 dollars by themselves. Add in a solid MOBO (100), PSU (50), Windows 10 (50) 16GB RAM (varies wildly but let's say 70), Case (50), that's about 700ish dollars. So I'd check out other prebuilt sites and see if they have similar computers for cheaper.

Or like JaseC said, see if you have local electronics store that assemble computers. My Fry's Electronics did them for like 50 bucks I think. Though you're kind of getting a computer at the worst time right now. Assembly is unlikely due to the virus, and ordering stuff is unlikely to be cheap due to impacted supply chains.

Also if you do decide to get that one, there's a free like 2tb hard drive option they gave you, might as well take it even if you have no plans to use it right away.

So I'm basically paying $300 for labor, yeah that's a pretty big premium. On the other hand it would take me way too long to figure out how to put everything together. I just want to jump into some VR with minimal hassle and forgot about all the shit going on in the world for a few hours. I'm thinking I'm just going to accept the hit but I'll do some more searching to see if I can find something slightly cheaper on another website.

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
Although it's a custom build, as sredgrin notes, it's still an OEM system. Looks like Newegg doesn't offer any sort of assembly service at all, which seems absurd to me, but Microcenter, Fry's and B&H do. If they've closed down or don't have retail stores in your area, I'd still try contacting them to see if it's possible to place an online order that includes assembly.

What do you mean by an OEM system?

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically, it's just a catch-all term for third-party-built systems that are sold as marked-up products.

Ok got it. So I did some more searching and the best deal I could find that meets the required specs is this at $900;

www.letsbld.com

NZXT BLD | Custom Gaming PC Builder

Build a custom gaming PC with the NZXT BLD Service.

I also found this Alienware that seems like a solid build;

Alienware Aurora Gaming Desktop with Intel 10th Gen CPU

The new Alienware Aurora gaming desktop with 10th Gen Intel Core processors and liquid-cooled graphics lets you push performance to unprecedented levels.

Of the 3 builds I've posted in this thread, can you or anyone else tell me which one you think would perform the best?

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
Every single action-game PC port from Bamco/KoeiTecmo has been 60fps console cap, (Warriors Orochi 4/Dynasty Warriors 9/Attack On Titan 2/DBZ Katakarot/One-Punch Man/My Hero Academia 2 etc.), but rumors are One Piece - Pirate Warriors 4 has an unlocked framerate. So it could be a worlds first.

Small potatoes, but not if you've been demanding it for a long time. But can I handle all these frames in anime musou!

giphy.gif

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Ok got it. So I did some more searching and the best deal I could find that meets the required specs is this at $900;

www.letsbld.com

NZXT BLD | Custom Gaming PC Builder

Build a custom gaming PC with the NZXT BLD Service.

I also found this Alienware that seems like a solid build;

Alienware Aurora Gaming Desktop with Intel 10th Gen CPU

The new Alienware Aurora gaming desktop with 10th Gen Intel Core processors and liquid-cooled graphics lets you push performance to unprecedented levels.

Of the 3 builds I've posted in this thread, can you or anyone else tell me which one you think would perform the best?

The NZXT Starter build is the best of the bunch despite being the cheapest option. The Alienware build has the same GPU but slower RAM and doesn't include an SSD, and the iBuyPower build has slower everything-that-isn't-the-CPU.

Edit: Also, don't bother going up a notch to the Starter Plus build. The 1660 Super and 1660 Ti perform very similarly, so you're really just paying +$100 for a larger SSD. 512GB minus the space you lose to GB -> GiB conversion, Windows, and, say, 100GB set aside for general storage will leave you with somewhere around 330GB for games, which is still enough for a handful of current-gen AAA titles (assuming an install size of ~60GB).

Last edited:

noob-noob

Nov 1, 2017
Boston
The NZXT Starter build is the best of the bunch despite being the cheapest option. The Alienware build has the same GPU but slower RAM and doesn't include an SSD, and the iBuyPower build has slower everything-that-isn't-the-CPU.

Thanks a bunch, you've been incredibly helpful!

Also for a second I got excited because I thought my work laptop was strong enough to run Alyx but I got fooled by the graphics card :'(

Just for shits and giggles, if I tried running the game on the laptop with the following specs, could I potentially get something playable?
  • Processor: Core i7-8850 @ 2.60GHz
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA Quadpro P1000
I'm guessing that graphics card is way too under-powered to get anything close to stable performance?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
You and I both, that backlog is real. DLC or shorter games is my MO.
I split my "immediate" backlog into several categories based on genres (Imsim, metroidvania, open-world, hack'n'slash, one of several sub-types of RPGs) and I try to make sure to alternate categories to avoid burnout in any particular genre

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
I split my "immediate" backlog into several categories based on genres (Imsim, metroidvania, open-world, hack'n'slash, one of several sub-types of RPGs) and I try to make sure to alternate categories to avoid burnout in any particular genre
Smart move, I usually push for variety in games overall. Case in point, just marathoned Half-Life so now I'm thinking of tackling Sonic Mania while I return to the Witcher 3.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Bright Memory left EA today.

This is your last chance to get the game for the original price, plus it's on sale for one week. After one week they are increasing the price to 10$. Anyone that buys the game gets BM: Infinite for free when it releases.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I am amused how both Fanatical and GMG reverted to selling Steam keys once Borderlands 3 became available on Steam.

Given they get these keys directly from 2K, I guess publishers continue to acknowledge what's more popular.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody has experience playing the Gamepass version of State of Decay 2 on a second monitor?

You often need to manually move a game to the right monitor after booting it (using Win+Shift+Left/Right) but with SoD2, the game keeps moving back to the main monitor anytime it gets focus back (if i alt tab) or after loadings...

Not the end of the world since I can just move it again, it's just annoying...

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I am amused how both Fanatical and GMG reverted to selling Steam keys once Borderlands 3 became available on Steam.

Given they get these keys directly from 2K, I guess publishers continue to acknowledge what's more popular.
Because no one wants to use EGS, period. The only people that would get a game on EGS are those that have regional pricing for their countries and Steam doesn't. In most cases, the key sites will not be able to match the price so you lose out on those customers too. And then you're left with the "I dont care about launchers, just games" crowd and its clear those people are not enough to continue peddling EGS keys.

Its funny in a time when the talk of backwards compatibility and next gen consoles, era continues to be obtuse about people not wanting to split up their games among various launchers and services on PC. Just setting aside the risk of having your games you bought suddenly at the whims of these companies with dubious intentions and even more dubious approaches to handling security of said services(hello Bethesda launcher), there is just something about having games you bought all in one place that makes your lizard brain at ease.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody has experience playing the Gamepass version of State of Decay 2 on a second monitor?

You often need to manually move a game to the right monitor after booting it (using Win+Shift+Left/Right) but with SoD2, the game keeps moving back to the main monitor anytime it gets focus back (if i alt tab) or after loadings...

Not the end of the world since I can just move it again, it's just annoying...

Been playing a lot of it lately but on my main monitor so no specific experience with the issue, but switching which monitor is the primary monitor before playing should work if that is less annoying than what you're already doing.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Because no one wants to use EGS, period. The only people that would get a game on EGS are those that have regional pricing for their countries and Steam doesn't. In most cases, the key sites will not be able to match the price so you lose out on those customers too. And then you're left with the "I dont care about launchers, just games" crowd and its clear those people are not enough to continue peddling EGS keys.

Its funny in a time when the talk of backwards compatibility and next gen consoles, era continues to be obtuse about people not wanting to split up their games among various launchers and services on PC. Just setting aside the risk of having your games you bought suddenly at the whims of these companies with dubious intentions and even more dubious approaches to handling security of said services(hello Bethesda launcher), there is just something about having games you bought all in one place that makes your lizard brain at ease.

Oh, I'm well aware of the concerns with the EGS. MY lizard brain takes things a step further, and I'm not truly happy until a game is in my GOG collection and then the installer is backed up on my external hard drive, so that nothing that might happen to Steam or Galaxy would affect my games.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

I will never understand why Rockstar accepted to sell Epic store keys on Humble Bundle for RDR2.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean let's be honest here, having multiple stores is a good thing for consumers IF the stores are good and offer similar level of services. EGS might some day be decent, but right now it's totally not worth investing in. If any of my console friends asked for a PC gaming platform recommendation I would only recommend Steam for now.

Oct 25, 2017
I can only play so much of Alyx in one sitting because it is genuinely stressing me out. But it is so damn good.
I really wish we would get more VR games like this but I am not holding my breath for it. It is genuinely amazing. For a split second I even thought about getting an Index just for the fingertracking which would obviously be completely insane.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
yes i also can play only 2 hours at a time. it makes my head sick, i think cause i suffer headache also without vr, but it is really worth it. im loving it!

Status
Not open for further replies.