• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Huh. It looks like GOG stealth-nuked the GOG downloader.

The option to display downloader links no longer shows up on games in my library.

now I gotta do manual chunk downlods through Chrome again if I want backups.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. It looks like GOG stealth-nuked the GOG downloader.

The option to display downloader links no longer shows up on games in my library.

now I gotta do manual chunk downlods through Chrome again if I want backups.
They announced they were stopping support for it at the beginning (10th, begining, whatever) of march actually on their forums

We say goodbye to GOG Downloader, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com

Download the best games on Windows & Mac. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies, and lots of pure customer love.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
j2j0UAe.jpg

Gears 5 certainly is a game. These tanks remind me a lot of the Leman Russ tanks from Warhammer 40k, which I appreciate. I like the cast too, Kait especially (shocker.)

Yeah, the Gears world feels pretty reminiscent of Space Marines in that it's a society that revolves seemingly only about war.

That said it's pretty impressive how far they've come from the start of the franchise where all the charactere were basically dudebro meatheads, and now they all very diverse and at least somewhat layered.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
They announced they were stopping support for it at the beginning (10th, begining, whatever) of march actually on their forums

We say goodbye to GOG Downloader, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com

Download the best games on Windows & Mac. A vast selection of titles, DRM-free, with free goodies, and lots of pure customer love.
Fair enough. Guess it must've been longer than I thought since I used it. Time flies when you're stuck at home, I suppose and days just blend into each other

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yeah true enough
It seems like it was years ago for something and it's like "Dude that was a month ago"
Tomorrow it'll already be 3 weeks since my manager called me and told me "there's a confirmed corona case who was using the same subway line as you. How about you work from home for the next week and we'll see how it goes?"

I had a week's head start on this lockdown thing.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Is World War Z the first time an EGS freebie is exclusive?

Also we've had evidence time and time again that devs do EGS exclusivity deals for $$$. The other excuses are almost always BS.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... Wtf, Control doesn't support HDR!?

I know it's not the same thing but how can a game that was one of the frontrunner for RTX stuff doesn't even have HDR?

Anyway... Which is better between DX11 or 12 if I'm playing on a GTX 1080?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Opinions on Greedfall and Terminator Resistance?

Looking to buy a new game, and I'm awful at making a decision on a purchase. Both interest me and both are the same price.

Oct 25, 2017
In Divinity, when should I be leaving Fort Joy?
Whenever you want, you can always come back (assuming you mean the actual location and not the whole map entirely)

Looking to buy a new game, and I'm awful at making a decision on a purchase. Both interest me and both are the same price.
I can't recommend GreedFall. The combat is extremely boring and repetitive and does not change at all. I played 20 hours of it and combat 20 hours in was exactly the same as the very first encounter. I found the world very lackluster (I know it's a budget game and for that it is surely impressive but still) and dull. Basically, I didn't really enjoy anything about the game tho I know some people liked it a lot.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Greedfall is a Bioware-style euro-jank RPG with an original setting and minimal bloat. One of my favourite games of last year.

Also on sale for 40% off on Steam, along with many other Focus Home titles

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Find it interesting that nobody seems to grasp the long game play EGS is tryin to make. I don't think they necessarily care about getting people over NOW, but rather LATER when the store is fully realized. I have about 20 AAA games on there. Once achievements come online, I'm pretty much going to game there AND on steam. I'll have this crazy instant game library only really akin to my Xbox account (I've gotten the free games ever since they started the program).

Oct 25, 2017
Find it interesting that nobody seems to grasp the long game play EGS is tryin to make. I don't think they necessarily care about getting people over NOW, but rather LATER when the store is fully realized. I have about 20 AAA games on there. Once achievements come online, I'm pretty much going to game there AND on steam. I'll have this crazy instant game library only really akin to my Xbox account (I've gotten the free games ever since they started the program).
Who exactly are you talking about? That's what people here have been saying pretty much from the beginning

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking into the Control expansion....

kotaku.com

Control’s First Story DLC Is Just As Good As The Main Game

Control’s new downloadable content, The Foundation, is neither a simple add-on nor an afterthought. Rather, it’s a fully-fleshed out expansion that pulls you deeper into the mysteries, paranormal combat, and sprawling exploration that made Control one of the best games of 2019. In fact, much of...

www.pcgamer.com

Control's new expansion is surprisingly boring

The Foundation takes a detour in a bland setting and places the worst bits of Control's story at the fore.

VIDEO GAMES wooo.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Whenever you want, you can always come back (assuming you mean the actual location and not the whole map entirely)

I can't recommend GreedFall. The combat is extremely boring and repetitive and does not change at all. I played 20 hours of it and combat 20 hours in was exactly the same as the very first encounter. I found the world very lackluster (I know it's a budget game and for that it is surely impressive but still) and dull. Basically, I didn't really enjoy anything about the game tho I know some people liked it a lot.
Combat depends on your build, I think. I found a repeater pistol early on and I stuck with various versions of that and a poisoned blade for most of the game, adding traps, grenades and some magic.
When I eventually replay the game on GOG, I want to try a magic build, I heard those were pretty OP.

The world isn't super-varied and the lack of enemy variety (except for the Guardians) is probably the game's main weakness. But I enjoyed the story and where it went.

Then again, I enjoyed most of what Spiders have been putting out, so I was probably pre-disposed to like this game, lol

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know if I can believe that. They had to have known that stealth dropping that game onto STEAM wouldn't have lead to any sales. It's also not a fighting game that the FGC really ever had on their radar.

I'd like to know the source of their information, because it seems a tad unrealistic to have made a business decision based on the sale of an obscure fighting game.

Edit: Yeah after doing some digging... It seems like it's a baseless rumor.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's not the way any of this works.

Epic gave them money.

Maybe they were more receptive because their last game bombed on PC, but regardless, this is all just after-the-fact justification. They made a business deal because they thought it would be more profitable.

This right here. Doesn't matter if it sells less , Epic is already making them closer to whole so they don't need to sell as much to profit.

Oct 25, 2017
Was worried I'd be underlevelled or miss out on quests
You might be underleveled but you will notice that pretty quickly. You can always come back, so you're not gonna miss any quests. Tho at some point you do have the options to have something removed from you which will lead to the guards attacking you. It's not a big deal but depending on your level it's something to consider.

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late[cl-r] has released on STEAM!!!!

Click on the Character DLC to get the CL-R combo pack. They are trying to fix the issue so that for the game+DLC combo that didn't populate yet.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
You might be underleveled but you will notice that pretty quickly. You can always come back, so you're not gonna miss any quests. Tho at some point you do have the options to have something removed from you which will lead to the guards attacking you. It's not a big deal but depending on your level it's something to consider.
Yeah, I decided not to have that removed yet, seems like an added headache

SunDimension24

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you dont have UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late yet, you can buy a complete pack (game+all DLC) from Humble Bundle for $39.99 or $31.57 if you have humble choice:

www.humblebundle.com

Buy Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r] Pack from the Humble Store

The Hollow Night Since time immemorial, the organization “Night Blade” has acted as guardians in what is known as the “Hollow Night”. While resting from her eternal labors in a nondescript town that the Princess of the Night Blade, Linne, meets a young boy named Hyde, who is in possession of the...

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
World War Z's "crossplay" is a joke. I got my dad all excited about us finally being able to play this game together (he's on the Xbox, I'm on my PC), only to find out that we can't actually add each other to a party. Instead, we have to rely on the matchmaking's luck of the draw, for the chance to be able to play together. Not to mention being forced to play with randos in the process.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
People still mad about the 3 game Epic deal? I don't get it. This is exactly what everyone wanted from them when they started this exclusive gravy train so I dont get the anger.

But Im still sure there is close to zero chance I'll ever buy anything from there and happy to just collect the free games.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that the publishing deal means Epic will put their Fortnite money to good use, even if Steam won't see those games for a year.

everyone wins in my book

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I have nothing against those Epic Publishing deals. They are good with some risk but overall good.

But when i look it from business side i still think that Epic is too "young" in Store and Publishing business and they are bit naive. Sure big publishers are greedy there is no doubt about that, but they are also experienced and way more knowledgeable when publishing games is in question. And big thing for those publishers are years of data they have to work with. Current Epic terms are too risky for them as company in my opinion no matter how good they are for developers. In the end if Epic Publishing is not successful enough they can support more developers. We will see in a few years how things will be when Fortnite income drops even more.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
People still mad about the 3 game Epic deal? I don't get it. This is exactly what everyone wanted from them when they started this exclusive gravy train so I dont get the anger.

But Im still sure there is close to zero chance I'll ever buy anything from there and happy to just collect the free games.

I'd rather see no exclusives, no curation, everything available everywhere. But I'm a mad communist so.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, weirdly enough even if those are lifetime exclusives as opposed to a year, I feel okay with that compared to the other situation.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I don't think we know the exclusivity clause yet. If Epic are publishing them I would expect they never show up on Steam.

If Epic is letting developers keep the IP, then it likely isn't demanding copyright ownership, either, in which case the worst-case scenario is that the games are EGS-exclusive until Epic's publishing contract expires and the publishing rights default to the developer. But that could be years after release.

I'd guess the length of exclusivity will depend on the state of EGS when they release. I doubt Epic will still be throwing around hundreds of millions of dollars a year in freebies and last-minute exclusivity deals a few years from now, so if things reset when it throws away the carrot and stops dumping bags of money on publishers' doorsteps (which, judging from Metro Exodus and Borderlands 3, they will), the games will probably show up on Steam after a year at most. Keeping them tied to EGS for as long as possible doesn't do the developer or Epic any favours if publisher support has all but dried up and just about the only people still using EGS are Fortnite players.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This right here. Doesn't matter if it sells less , Epic is already making them closer to whole so they don't need to sell as much to profit.
In the short term, it is indeed the right way to get some money quick and recoup de costs.
In the long run though, the game will also bomb on Epic, so Epic is not going to give any monies for their next game since it has proven to hold little value for them, so either SNK goes back on Steam with their damaged reputation, or they just stop releasing games on PC altogether and lose a lot of potential buyers there.
Since they have learned the wrong lessons from this debacle (i.e. that the game was released late, without crossplay and with bad online), they probably won't improve any of these issues on KOF15, and the cycle will start anew.
UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late[cl-r] has released on STEAM!!!!

Click on the Character DLC to get the CL-R combo pack. They are trying to fix the issue so that for the game+DLC combo that didn't populate yet.

(does a little dance)

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest issue with SamSho is how long it has taken to come to PC. Swapping it to epic and launching a few months from now, man that is not going to sell anything

I think I may pick up Under night though, got a lot of steam funds to play with

Status
Not open for further replies.