• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Simply "not buying things from EGS" has been working out pretty well for me so far.

If you're attempting to genuinely engage with people here, try avoiding being reductive with things like "steam die hards" and "still bearing grudges". Not a good look for you or whatever point you're trying to make.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
noted.

I've realized that I probably don't belong here.

No, not at all, stay. It's more like this topic doesn't really belong here. Nothings changed since the service started and people have done this back and forth so many times. It's draining and people don't have much patience for it anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason to avoid pre-ordering something via CD Keys?

They currently have the the best price I can find on RE3, but I've got visions of not actually getting a code through for 5 weeks..

Jun 2, 2019
noted.

I've realized that I probably don't belong here.

Come on man, my stance is similar to yours and here I am, you just have to forget about it and just enjoy your stay, in the end no matter what launcher do you use or whatever, we all play on PC and have a cozy thread over here to speak our minds, as silly as our ideas could be.

Just respect others' ideas. I learnt that after a lengthy ban, pretty sure can learn to do it too.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any reason to avoid pre-ordering something via CD Keys?

They currently have the the best price I can find on RE3, but I've got visions of not actually getting a code through for 5 weeks..

One drawback to pre-ordering early from them is that if it turns out there's some pre-order bonus DLC as a separate key, you rarely get that DLC with your early pre-order. They put up another product for sale that contains both the game and DLC, and sell the DLC separately for few bucks. It's a pretty minor issue unless the bonus is something actually useful. Also their prices often fluctuate quite a bit when the release is near. Sometimes the price drops, but more commonly the price raises so pre-ordering at the right moment gets you the best deal. What happens with prices after release, that's a bit more broad subject... it depends on who the publisher is and how well the game did on release.

I wouldn't worry about getting a key that late. Sometimes they only deliver on release day though, but usually few days before. However they rarely tell you when your key is ready, you just have to check the link you got in order confirmation and at some point the key will be available through that link.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Is there any to see the Metacritic score of all the games in my Steam account? There are so many games from years (maybe a decade even...) ago that I bought and never played and knowing their MC score would happen narrow down the list and maybe make me play them.

I will finish The Red Strings Club (bought not long ago) this weekend and want to have something else installed on my PC.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any to see the Metacritic score of all the games in my Steam account? There are so many games from years (maybe a decade even...) ago that I bought and never played and knowing their MC score would happen narrow down the list and maybe make me play them.

I will finish The Red Strings Club (bought not long ago) this weekend and want to have something else installed on my PC.
You can sort by Metacritic Score on the Steam Library:
unknown.png

However, the metacritic score is linked by the devs, so there might be games which dont have it even if they actually have a metacritic page. You can always use Steam Review tho.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Still open for recommendations for next month! Send them into me via PM or Discord or whatever.

njA3T5u.png

Notable games next month include:
lRJypPL.png

XntIfow.png

I will write something on Cloudpunk and Hellpoint tomorrow.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
You can sort by Metacritic Score on the Steam Library:
unknown.png

However, the metacritic score is linked by the devs, so there might be games which dont have it even if they actually have a metacritic page. You can always use Steam Review tho.
Great! DIdn't even cross my mind that Steam itself could have it. Easier for me to sort them like this and do some research about 5-10 games I bought years ago instead of checking the hundred or so one by one.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I always go for a Street Samurai. Most straightforward of archetypes, get a big gun or big sword and go to town.
My answer for all the Shadowrun games is the same: PhysAdapt.

Pick a bulkier race (I went with Orc), and you get a fuck-off machete to start with, followed by a katana, so that anything you get close to is dead.

Makes the combat a breeze, as long as you got decent support, and allows you to focus on the story and the RPG-y bits.
I want for Decker and failed the very first fight as someone died

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Is Mortal Kombat Premium edition the be-all end all version? or is there gonna be more DLC to buy down the line?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote about this issue other day. AC Odyssey crashes at boot and won't run until i reinstall driver. And it only crashes if i run it through Steam.

I looked on the AC Odyssey forum and many with recent similar stories have pointed to the latest Nvidia driver if you're in that camp. They even released a hotfix for the last one due to DX11 issues.

www.pcgamer.com

Nvidia graphics card not loading DirectX 11 games? Try this hotfix driver

Nvidia's most recent GPU driver introduced a bug that is stopping some DX11 games from launching in certain situations.

I will write something on Cloudpunk and Hellpoint tomorrow.

Can't wait for Cloudpunk!

6 gifts from Mentalist

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 6 gifts from Mentalist Mentalist!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Mentalist said:
Some Humble Monthly duplicates, figured the community might as well enjoy them:

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Shenmue I & II - Won by Nothing Nothing (12 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1 - Won by Cordelia Cordelia (5 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Battle Chasers Nightwar - Won by Hyaku Shiki Hyaku Shiki (19 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Turok - Won by Cels Cels (18 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Won by Elven_Star Elven_Star (15 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Mages of Mystralia - Won by Cels Cels (9 entries)

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Alyx and really enjoyed it. It felt really different from playing a FPS on a screen and I really enjoyed the new experience. Hopefully we get another VR Half Life game sooner rather than later (especially with that ending).

BorntoPlay

Banned for Abusing Giftbot
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Venezuela
Microsoft should reunite all their services in one single app already. It's negatively hilarious that to redeem a code of a DLC for a game i'm playing on PC Gamepass i have to go the Windows store to redeem it and download the content, and if i want insider services i have to boot another app, and another one for anything related to the controller.

It's like we're back to their Windows XP mentality or something.

By the way, got a new controller coming

gamepad_8bitdo_sn30_pro_g_classic_edition_05_ad_l.jpg

Kinda hyped for it
That controller look really great!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
RE5 has a lot less "puzzles" than I remember...

...as in, it has ZERO puzzles. It really is just a action game. I don't even mean that in a bad way necessarily, I just remember it being closer to RE4, leaning more towards action, but no, its just action. At least up to chapter 3-1 (the marshes).

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I looked on the AC Odyssey forum and many with recent similar stories have pointed to the latest Nvidia driver if you're in that camp. They even released a hotfix for the last one due to DX11 issues.

www.pcgamer.com

Nvidia graphics card not loading DirectX 11 games? Try this hotfix driver

Nvidia's most recent GPU driver introduced a bug that is stopping some DX11 games from launching in certain situations.

Tnx I will try that even though same happened when I had February driver installed.

Deleted member 63832

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Why does MS have so many fucking Xbox apps?

I think there is just the one Xbox app on PC?

It doesn't. That's why that sentence began a new paragraph.

The EGS is good because it creates retail competition, and competition among pricing and sales.

I will also say that I haven't spent any money on there yet. It's not that I wouldn't. There just haven't been many new PC games that have been very enticing lately; certainly not full-priced digital Borderlands 3. But I've been acquiring their free games for about one year.

Its competition no matter if we like how they have gone about it or not.

It doesn't create retail competition though. If anything, for those exclusive, it removed it. And before EGS, you always had 3rd party retailers, which created competition among pricing and sales, as opposed to EGS.

EGS created competition with pricing and sales, basically their most successful tactics have been their insane sales instead of the moneyhats.

So it doesn't, yet it does? Also retail competition? The last 1.5 years say no, the opposite, less choices.

1 more choice in EGS, so there is technically more choices.

Are people really holding grudges against EGS store still? lol

Oh sweet summer child, you have no idea how deep this rabbit hole goes.

I come from a business background. I'm often looking at things from both a business and consumer perspective. The only people that EGS gives fewer choices to are PC-only, Steam-only diehards. EGS existing is not a bad thing. Them buying up exclusive rights is another conversation entirely. If you tie yourself completely to one (digital) platform then that's your prerogative. You've chosen to put yourself into this small box of an ecosystem. At that point we're talking about the overarching conversation of digital distribution exclusivity and digital rights management. That's exactly why I'm a huge physical media supporter and collector too. Again, that's another conversation. If you want to own your own stuff, have more choices, get better deals on brand new games, then you buy games on disc at retail. EGS has also been the cheapest outlet to pick up certain PC games during a couple of their seasonal sales. Like Hades twice last year.

No idea what point either of you are trying to make.

Its another icon to press on your PC and have access to whatever exclusives they have. Just like Origin or the Xbox app.

Sure, if you're PC-only. I'm not. Most people aren't.

EGS doesn't "fully control" anything except the rights to their exclusive games, for 6 months or 1 year or whatever. They are a digital storefront; nothing more. If I don't like what they have to offer then I don't buy anything from them.

And those exclusives did nothing in the grand scheme of things, people that wanted them bought and played them, others waited and got them later. Nothing more or less than that.

If you can choose between Nintendo Online, PSN and Steam, I guess most people, if they have the choice, wouldnt choose Nintendo Online, unless they are forced to.

Cant use Nintendo Online on PC.

I don't see EGS as an ecosystem. Don't understand how anyone could. Unless Fortnite is your all-consuming identity or something.

PC is an ecosystem. And there are other several other options and digital launchers to play games from besides Epic. The way I see it is you've manufactured this problem, and then you're telling other people that it needs to be their problem too. I just don't see it that way. EGS is not a problem for most people. And if there is an exclusive game there that I NEED to play, then so be it. That hasn't even happened yet for me. I don't have this fundamental problem with EGS like you seem to have and frankly I haven't even seen these conversations since almost a year ago.

PC is the platform, then you have choices on how you use that platform with just one mouse click.

Honestly I think that PC gaming is in the best place it's ever been. So many publishers have come to PC now. Xbox Gamepass Ultimate on PC has been a godsend. It's amazing the amount of content that they've offered to anyone who did the 1-3 years of XBL Gold service conversion. This ecosystem is healthier than it's ever been. There are more people gaming on PC now than ever. The only downside is that the cost of enthusiast grade parts started to go up several years ago.

EGS moving to publishing games we might have never seen already far outweighs any negatives from the consumer unfriendly tactics they used with the moneyhats.

And those who like GOG or other storefronts in general. And Linux. Educate yourself about the issues people have with EGS, the info is out there and reducing this whole thing to Steam fanboys being mad is fucking insulting.

Using EGS doesn't stop you from using other storefronts.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
EGS created competition with pricing and sales, basically their most successful tactics have been their insane sales instead of the moneyhats.

Was it successful though ?

We know that 3rd parties generated 251 millions of dollars of revenue, which is rather low in a year. Especially when Borderlands 3 might have generated close to half of that revenue.

We also know Epic subsidized for 23 millions of dollars of 10 dollars coupon during their mega sale and holiday sale. Which means in a month of mega sale and 2 weeks of holiday sale, they saw slightly over 2.3 million sales in their entire store. That's considering each purchase in holiday, even free ones, generated a 10 dollar coupon and that in their mega sale, it was working starting from 15 dollars which means a lot of 5 dollars games that weren't even out yet.

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Was it successful though ?

We know that 3rd parties generated 251 millions of dollars of revenue, which is rather low in a year. Especially when Borderlands 3 might have generated close to half of that revenue.

We also know Epic subsidized for 23 millions of dollars of 10 dollars coupon during their mega sale and holiday sale. Which means in a month of mega sale and 2 weeks of holiday sale, they saw slightly over 2.3 million sales in their entire store. That's considering each purchase in holiday, even free ones, generated a 10 dollar coupon and that in their mega sale, it was working starting from 15 dollars which means a lot of 5 dollars games that weren't even out yet.

That fully depends on the expectations from Sweeney and his troll ass will never admit anything negative.

But in the strictest definition of the word it did create competition and drew eyes to the EGS store.

Paying such a massive price for it is a whole other conversation.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That fully depends on the expectations from Sweeney and his troll ass will never admit anything negative.

But in the strictest definition of the word it did create competition and drew eyes to the EGS store.

Paying such a massive price for it is a whole other conversation.

Well, I'd agree if those games weren't exclusive.

If those games were also on other stores and you have epic competing against them with lower price, then I'd say : Wow, it is indeed good competition. They distinguish themselves on pricing with heavily subsidized discounts.

Ironically, their exclusive only stance prevented that from happenning because competition lies in comparison.

If you compare, let's say Metro Exodus. It's 30€ on Steam. But hey ! It's 20€ on EGS ! That's a good look for your storefront because you can say "you see, it's cheaper than X competitor". But because they locked themselves, there's no point of comparison when it comes to pricing. Save for Ubisoft games.

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Well, I'd agree if those games weren't exclusive.

If those games were also on other stores and you have epic competing against them with lower price, then I'd say : Wow, it is indeed good competition. They distinguish themselves on pricing with heavily subsidized discounts.

Ironically, their exclusive only stance prevented that from happenning because competition lies in comparison.

If you compare, let's say Metro Exodus. It's 30€ on Steam. But hey ! It's 20€ on EGS ! That's a good look for your storefront because you can say "you see, it's cheaper than X competitor". But because they locked themselves, there's no point of comparison when it comes to pricing. Save for Ubisoft games.

That comes back around to the argument of it just being another icon on your PC to click on and how much the features on one storefront matter to you over an exclusivity.

Like a PS4 only game is really exclusive because the expectations of it moving to PC are low (although not impossible if following recent news). I think that is where the disconnect in this conversation lies.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That comes back around to the argument of it just being another icon on your PC to click on and how much the features on one storefront matter to you over an exclusivity.

Like a PS4 only game is really exclusive because the expectations of it moving to PC are low (although not impossible if following recent news). I think that is where the disconnect in this conversation lies.

Well, that's one point of competition indeed.

There's a lot more to what a person can value or not in a service.

For someone, it can be just a glorified downloader and seek the best price possible.

For someone, it can be various software integrations.

For someone it can just be convenience or even the way a UI look.

Jun 2, 2019
User Banned (3 days): Justifying piracy
Well, yeah, the competition angle is bollocks. When games are exclusive and you don't allow key resellers to, well, resell keys you're not generating competition at all.

I'm still looking for a way to test play Control, because no matter how much I love Remedy, I'm not paying full price for their (or any, for that matter, not even Nintendo's) games.

I can see myself resort to torrenting and, if I like it, buy it in a sale, like I did during the last recession.

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
User Banned ( 3 days): Justifying piracy
Well, yeah, the competition angle is bollocks. When games are exclusive and you don't allow key resellers to, well, resell keys you're not generating competition at all.

I'm still looking for a way to test play Control, because no matter how much I love Remedy, I'm not paying full price for their (or any, for that matter, not even Nintendo's) games.

I can see myself resort to torrenting and, if I like it, buy it in a sale, like I did during the last recession.

And you are perfectly fine doing this, I dont understand why anyone would give you shit for this at all!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just buy it and refund it if it doesn't run / you hate it, don't do that tired ass "I pirate games to test how they run" shit that nobody believes. Hasn't the game been on sale multiple times anyway at this point? Istheranydeal lists at has having effectively been 40 dollars for nearly all of January.

Deleted member 63832

Banned
Feb 14, 2020
Just buy it and refund it if it doesn't run / you hate it, don't do that tired ass "I pirate games to test how they run" shit that nobody believes. Hasn't the game been on sale multiple times anyway at this point? Istheranydeal lists at has having effectively been 40 dollars for nearly all of January.

I got Control for $6 ($23 regular price) because of the Christmas coupon deal and EGS does regional pricing here where nobody else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.