• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
re: Samurai Shodown

519.png

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Warning!

The other night, my dumb ass got caught in a phishing scam.
I've since changed my password and email, also I have two-step authenticator set up. Hopefully things are under control on that front.

I know not all of you are on my Steam friends list. For those that are, please ignore any messages I sent, especially if they ask you to vote for something.
I was asked to vote to ban anime, does this mean I voted for nothing now?

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Warning!

I've since changed my password and email, also I have two-step authenticator set up. Hopefully things are under control on that front.

I know not all of you are on my Steam friends list. For those that are, please ignore any messages I sent, especially if they ask you to vote for something.

WOW, I just got a message from you saying to vote for your team on play4cup. I ALMOST DID IT,, I went to the website and almost signed in through steam but decided not to :). The entire thing just reeked like a scam to me. The reason I almost did it is because I recognized your username and you were on my friends list for a very long time. Glad it wasn't you.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Warning!

Last year, I lost USD$30 when buying an unwanted GPU bundle key for Control because I didn't think to check the profile of the impersonator who added me (the friend request popped up shortly after I posted in the seller's Steam Trades thread, so I just assumed it was actually him). But on the bright side, it prompted me to finally sell my busted i7 6800K + ASUS X99-A II and Nokia Somethingrather on eBay, so in a roundabout way, I actually made money in the end.

Last edited:

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
WOW, I just got a message from you saying to vote for your team on play4cup. I ALMOST DID IT,, I went to the website and almost signed in through steam but decided not to :). The entire thing just reeked like a scam to me. The reason I almost did it is because I recognized your username and you were on my friends list for a very long time. Glad it wasn't you.
Glad you didn't.

Usually I can sniff out a phishing attempt, but the person who messaged me was on my friends list (and they were also hacked). Plus I've been so worried about the COVID-19 disaster.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, how division 1 solo? I never played those games , but they are on sale and it looks visually nice . I just dont know the actual structure and stuff

Probably the most solo friendly content wise in the looter shooter genre.

Basically expect typical Ubisoft single player open world experience, just with looter shooter/MMORPG element on top of it. (Personal opinion : Division have more enjoyable and better designed open world than Far Cry 5).

The story is shit just like most Ubisoft games but the environmental storytelling stuff is surprisingly good (audio log, hologram, environment design, etc).

As for Division 1 or 2. The first game have better atmosphere (and stronger environmental storytelling) but I find the second game to be better everything, coming from a more casual player who dont dabble on endgame stuff.

- Washington is more interesting than NY when it comes to landmark. Absolutely love the missions taking place in various museum.
- Much better combat (enemies in Div2 actually very interesting, even mooks have some gimmick to them whereas Div 1 enemies is leaning more toward generic shooter enemies ).
- Better open world (the settlement and Control Point system is really cool).

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Half Life Alyx looks really good, but If I'm being honest from the first couple of hours (maybe this changes later) it seems there's nothing there you couldn't do outside of VR with a minor loss of immersion at worst.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Half Life Alyx looks really good, but If I'm being honest from the first couple of hours (maybe this changes later) it seems there's nothing there you couldn't do outside of VR with a minor loss of immersion at worst.

I'm not sure what you expect. By design, the first hours of the game are all establishing players from all backgrounds into VR, mechanics etc, in a way that is palatable even as a first experience, training them up and introducing them to various aspects. Mechanically the game doesn't have to do all that much, already benefiting wildly from the advantages of the medium as it gradually scales up. Calling it a "minor loss of immersion" to translate it outside of VR, is kind of hilarious from my approx 3hr experience with it. None of the moment to moment play of this introduction section is going to have anywhere near the impact outside of VR imo.

Every vote to ban anime was actually changed into two votes for more anime.

Pure evil. It's too real!

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you expect. By design, the first hours of the game are all establishing players from all backgrounds into VR, mechanics etc, in a way that is palatable even as a first experience, training them up and introducing them to various aspects. Mechanically the game doesn't have to do all that much, already benefiting wildly from the advantages of the medium as it gradually scales up. Calling it a "minor loss of immersion" to translate it outside of VR, is kind of hilarious from my approx 3hr experience with it. None of the moment to moment play of this introduction section is going to have anywhere near the impact outside of VR imo.

Well, like i said, it might ramp up later, but the early stuff all seems like interactions you could easily do with a mouse and one or two context sensitve buttons, and outside of VR would just be fairly typical HL gameplay.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

VR firearm operation isn't just immersion, it's gameplay. Like you might as well say you could do H3VR on flat, but that would defeat 97% of the entire purpose.

Beyond that, in the first few hours I've run into multiple physics based gameplay, hidden objects, etc - of which a lot would have significant gameplay downgrade outside of VR.

All that said it's not the most intensely VR game ever in the first few hours.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
VR firearm operation isn't just immersion, it's gameplay. Like you might as well say you could do H3VR on flat, but that would defeat 97% of the entire purpose.

Beyond that, in the first few hours I've run into multiple physics based gameplay, hidden objects, etc - of which a lot would have significant gameplay downgrade outside of VR.

All that said it's not the most intensely VR game ever in the first few hours.

To me the first couple of hours basically seem like something along the lines of Resident Evil 7 in the sense that, yeah, it's more immersive in VR and there's some stuff that's clearly designed around VR first, but you could mostly get the same experience outside of VR, especially since in a hypthetical official 'flat' version they'd have reworked the most VR stuff anyway.

Last edited:

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Well, like i said, it might ramp up later, but the early stuff all seems like interactions you could easily do with a mouse and one or two context sensitve buttons, and outside of VR would just be fairly typical HL gameplay.

I don't know what to say to you. I have to imagine you are watching someone else play on a flat screen... Yes - it's fairly typical HL gameplay, if you have absolutely no conception of how that is in the medium itself. You've got no comprehension of the wealth of options in how to play, the scope of sensory perception Valve is playing with and exploiting specific to the medium, making even mundane things rather insane when playing.

As the most simplest example that I stated ages ago and just did. I caught a headcrab in a bucket. Trapped it simultaneously with a plank of wood. And my next plan is to do the same when combine are around and stick it on their head - - because the flexibility of the physics systems and interaction, let me play in any stupid way I want. No amount of keyboard keys are going to provide the nuance of so many aspects going into the in the moment activity in just this one interaction, and the satisfaction of it all working. The encounters even at the most simple form are monumentally different in VR vs the same in flat - from the thought process, reflexes (and combating reflex you do not intend), scale, depth, presence, the combined emotive experience from situations, interactions, characters; the innate responses triggered thanks to this combination that you can't switch off - vertigo, fear, fumbling as you panic etc etc. Because it literally interacts on the level that you perceive reality, it has effects both in experience and in gameplay that are non-translatable to a lesser fidelity medium.
By all means, when a mod comes along and entirely compromises 95% of what is happening here, it will cease to be this game, and be something else entirely. Gun control from a two axis experience, to one with yaw. roll and pitch - it isn't comparable. Like translating a movie to radio.
Come to think of it, one of my favourite moments so far is an interaction with a character. Being present with a character like that, in the same way you experience reality, it emotes hard.

With that in mind I don't think it is worth having this conversation further, as I can't even express how wrong you are at the most fundamental levels, that are immediately obvious from playing the game.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to say to you. I have to imagine you are watching someone else play on a flat screen... Yes - it's fairly typical HL gameplay, if you have absolutely no conception of how that is in the medium itself. You've got no comprehension of the wealth of options in how to play, the scope of sensory perception Valve is playing with and exploiting specific to the medium, making even mundane things rather insane when playing.

As the most simplest example that I stated ages ago and just did. I caught a headcrab in a bucket. Trapped it simultaneously with a plank of wood. And my next plan is to do the same when combine are around and stick it on their head - - because the flexibility of the physics systems and interaction, let me play in any stupid way I want. No amount of keyboard keys are going to provide the nuance of so many aspects going into the in the moment activity in just this one interaction, and the satisfaction of it all working. The encounters even at the most simple form are monumentally different in VR vs the same in flat - from the thought process, reflexes (and combating reflex you do not intend), scale, depth, presence, the combined emotive experience from situations, interactions, characters; the innate responses triggered thanks to this combination that you can't switch off - vertigo, fear, fumbling as you panic etc etc. Because it literally interacts on the level that you perceive reality, it has effects both in experience and in gameplay that are non-translatable to a lesser fidelity medium.
By all means, when a mod comes along and entirely compromises 95% of what is happening here, it will cease to be this game, and be something else entirely. Gun control from a two axis experience, to one with yaw. roll and pitch - it isn't comparable. Like translating a movie to radio.
Come to think of it, one of my favourite moments so far is an interaction with a character. Being present with a character like that, in the same way you experience reality, it emotes hard.

With that in mind I don't think it is worth having this conversation further, as I can't even express how wrong you are at the most fundamental levels, that are immediately obvious from playing the game.

Eh, I've tried VR (although not Alyx) and I guess we'll have to agree to disgree. Yeah, the added physicality/feeling of being there is cool and not something you can fully recreate in a flat version but it generally also comes with an added layer of inconvenience and VR jank. Most of the extra interaction stuff (once again from what I've seen from the first couple of hours) while fun also seems largely irrelevant for actual progress/gameplay reasons.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
What are some recommended Stardew Valley mods?

I have Stardew Valley Expanded, Tractor and NPCs map locations installed atm

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
To me the first couple of hours basically seem like something along the lines of Resident Evil 7 in the sense that, yeah, it's more immersive in VR and there's some stuff that's clearly designed around VR first, but you could mostly get the same experience outside of VR, especially since in a hypthetical official 'flat' version they'd have reworked the most VR stuff anyway.

I completely disagree, it's not very much like flat games at all. I also think you would miss the vast majority of the gameplay if Alyx were flat.

It's basically the difference of reading a gameFAQ of a game and playing it.

RE7 was very much designed for flat first, and so you didn't have that same gulf of mechanics. It IS a flat game. So it really does only add immersion in VR.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree, it's not very much like flat games at all. I also think you would miss the vast majority of the gameplay if Alyx were flat.

It's basically the difference of reading a gameFAQ of a game and playing it.

RE7 was very much designed for flat first, and so you didn't have that same gulf of mechanics. It IS a flat game. So it really does only add immersion in VR.

Eh, to me the difference is more like watching a big spectacle movie in a theatre vs at home on a smaller TV. And yeah, just modding it be to flat would probably be a bad time, but IMO what I've seen of the the first couple of hours would work just fine if Valve themselves had reworked it it as a flat experience as an option.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like I should buy that Humble Sakura bundle before it expires tomorrow. I'm not a fan of lewd games, but the art styles all look so appealing. Seems like the wrong reason to be drawn to those sorts of games though lol.
I can give you a whole list of better lewds than Sakura game.
They're basically eating burger leftovers you found in the trash.

EDIT: here, these have good art:

sugarscript.itch.io

Cute Demon Crashers by SugarScript, DejiNyucu

A short and silly consent-friendly and sex-positive VN!

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
So I've never played a VR game before and I spent the first hour of HL:A just picking up objects and gawking at them. The VR absolutely adds something.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Based on Steam250 (which relies on Steam reviews), the best games released in the past 30 days include 2 Half-Life games in the top 2:

fgR1hFe.png

Both games are also in the top 4 games released in 2020:

QZQgweN.png

admataY

Oct 25, 2017
There are few things in life as satisfying as pulling off the " swing-circle-strafe" with the super shotgun meathook in Doom .

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Eh, to me the difference is more like watching a big spectacle movie in a theatre vs at home on a smaller TV. And yeah, just modding it be to flat would probably be a bad time, but IMO what I've seen of the the first couple of hours would work just fine if Valve themselves had reworked it it as a flat experience as an option.

It wouldnt be the same game though. It would be like one of those gameboy ports of a SNES game or something like that.
The reason why its so good is because its in VR. If you mod everything out or release a flat version, it will be a far inferior version.

I mean Astrobot would also work without VR, but without VR it would just be a normal plattformer.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Good news AC Odyssey is not crashing anymore, bad news i need to setup my Nvidia settings again. It was corrupted driver install not driver itself. I wiped drivers with DDU and installed February ones and it worked, then i again wiped drivers with DDU and installed new ones and it worked again. That is why i think it was corrupted install and not driver itself. But i guess i am playing AC Odyssey again XD

Now i just need to make myself do hard reset of my phone (i updated system like 3 times and never did hard reset in 2 and a half years) but i need to prepare myself for like multi hour work to bring back everything as it was supposed to be XD

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
BLEH, actually downloaded AC Odyssey yesterday to get the Ezio outfit however I didn't know you had to redeem it through their rewards page and Ubisoft Support can't help. I hate Ubisoft, why does it has to be so complicated..

So, they decided to reduce our work hours asap. Might get tomorrow off spontaneously. Seems like I'll have some free time to fill in the near future...
Slime Rancher seems like a good choice, where you can put a lot of hours in, but bounce on and off easily, without problems. As a Viva Pinata fan, I thought of getting it a few times already.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Aaaand Odyssey is crashing again. It looks like it is Steam related not driver related. Everything worked fine until i started game via Steam (so i can have Steam overlay and Remote Play).

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
How has Far Cry been lately? I have not played one since 3.
Far Cry 4 is very similar to FC3, but in the Himalayas. I loved the addition of the mini-copter and used it constantly. The snowy areas are pretty neat too.
Far Cry Primal is a remix of the map from FC4 set in tribal times. There are a number of survival elements that work well and you have a dedicated pet that is quite powerful.
Far Cry 5 returns to the mainline formula and is set in Montana. The Americana is turned up to 11. At this point you may be sick of clearing out bases etc, but it's still a gorgeous area. The planes and helicopters are extremely useful again.
Far Cry New Dawn is a remix of the map from FC5 set after the events. They made it very RPG-ish with enemy health bars and weapon leveling. Sniper rifles (silenced) can still be a 1-shot kill on most enemies so I didn't find the change too annoying. I played this back-to-back with FC5 and I didn't mind the sameness for some reason.

Khilandros

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Got AC Odyssey during the free weekend after having so much fun exploring and sneaking around. I enjoyed Origins a lot and finally got this one, perfect time for it now.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Overlay does crash some games, including some being sold on Steam itself...

It worked like month ago. Now as soon as i start it via Steam game becomes unplayable. I literally can't start it anymore with Steam started or not. I need to clean drivers with DDU and install them again for game to start working again. Really strange situation.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Tried to play Ace Combat 7, reached mission 5, uninstalled the game. I simply find it not funny or entertaining. The plot is....boring, and the game is boring as well, you do the same thing again and again, with some minor differences. I saw it's 20 missions long but can't play it so long, so give up now it's the best choice.

Jun 2, 2019
Tried to play Ace Combat 7, reached mission 5, uninstalled the game. I simply find it not funny or entertaining. The plot is....boring, and the game is boring as well, you do the same thing again and again, with some minor differences. I saw it's 20 missions long but can't play it so long, so give up now it's the best choice.

The game starts slow but, as every Ace Combat, when it gets real its an epic blast.

Is it on Gamepass PC already?

By the way I'm just posting here to say how amazed I am by Doom 2016 and Forzá Horizon 4 optimization

Like, they didn't drop a frame while playing at 1440p 74fps

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Valve say they don't have other VR games in development

Back in 2017, head honcho Gabe Newell revealed Valve were working on “three full VR games”. We got one of them last nig…

"All the resources for VR game development later in the cycle, during Alyx's development, all of those resources got moved onto Alyx," Coomer explained. "So at the moment, no, there aren't three other titles in development. But, as for what's coming, we don't really have something new or newsworthy for you to say: [no] 'Once Alyx is out the door here's what you should expect to have happen.'"

Status
Not open for further replies.