• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
As I said on the main thread, if it wasn't for the months of Tim Sweeney showing his ass, spreading FUD and disrupting peoples Kickstarter rewards I'd be happy with that news. Now I struggle to support anything that man is attached to even if it is indeed better than snatching up exclusives with moneyhats at the last minute.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying from the beginning, if they're gonna become a publisher a la EA, Ubi, Beth or ActiBlizz, then I have no issues with them using their own storefront to sell those games.
I don't see how it makes an iota of difference from the consumer standpoint. If anything moneyhatting the release for timed exclusivity gives more control to the developer you may get it on your storefront of choice in the future if you don't want EGS cooties.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
As I said on the main thread, if it wasn't for the months of Tim Sweeney showing his ass, spreading FUD and disrupting peoples Kickstarter rewards I'd be happy with that news. Now I struggle to support anything that man is attached to even if it is indeed better than snatching up exclusives with moneyhats at the last minute.
how that man did such an amazing job poisoning his own well ill never quite understand

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

How? Their profits are not that big for a 250 person studio. That is why they are signing deals left and right and constantly work on new IPs instead of sequels. Maybe their games are not absolute bombs but they are not successful enough to warrant sequels with or without publisher.

If they make a bomb they aren't going to be able to self-fund their next game no matter what % royalty they get. That's life. Again, 100% funding + 50% royalty + IP ownership is a phenomenal deal, and is the opposite of risky for the dev. Getting 2 out of 3 of those things would be a good deal. All 3, that's incredibly pro-dev.

As I said deal is good but it is also risky too because you can't rest and you always need next deal in mind just in case.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I don't see how it makes an iota of difference from the consumer standpoint. If anything moneyhatting the release for timed exclusivity gives more control to the developer you may get it on your storefront of choice in the future if you don't want EGS cooties.
They are both inconveniences to the consumer that benefit the devs.
in the case of a straight-up money hat, the game would still have been made and came out on more preferred platforms (or in the most egregious cases, was already announced for other platforms)
in this case, the games have a greater chance of not existing (if the dev was unable to find a different publisher). By assuming greater responsibility for the game, Epic earns greater leeway in where the game is sold.

That's how I see it, at least. Funding the game from Day 1 means that it being exclusive to a single storefront is no different from Ubi or EA restricting games to their stores. Annoying, but justifiable.

Straight-up moneyhat doesn't carry the same justification, imhho. Although it's obviously considered a safer bet by a dev or publisher in charge of the IP.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

300px-Yeah%2C_This_Is_Big_Brain_Time.jpg

I wonder why those takes always come out regarding Valve.

Never heard stuff regarding Sony exclusives or how profits of the online paywalls should go to all devs on the plattform.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Last year, people were lamenting that Valve's cut only enriches themselves because they "don't make games anymore". This year, people lament Valve's cut because they make an ambitious but niche game. I wonder what's in store for us next year.

Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of parts of that are dumb, but these geniuses know Steam isn't the only source of revenue for Valve, right? One International probably brings in enough to fund HLA...

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just finished my first play through of The Witcher 3. I put off playing the game for years as it looked too overwhelming and after seeing it on a friends PS4 it didn't run well. Skip forward and I actually won the GOG GOTY edition here in the giftbot raffle last year. It wasn't amazing at the start but after 8 hours, and adding some QoL mods on PC I had an awesome time.

The game still looks rad (I played with no visual mods). Yes the game is packed with content but once you get going and start to understand everything it's pretty seamless to pick and choose what you do. I missed a ton of side missions, contracts and stuff but I will still continue to play, plus I have all the DLC complete.

I got the
good ending. Ciri became a witcher, and I live with Yen quietly up North. Looking back I wish I went with Triss instead as Yen kinda pissed me off throughout the game

Now to Youtube to watch some of the other endings!

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
One of the games announced on last year's PC Gaming Show, Last Oasis, has just released on Steam Early Access. Discounted until April 2nd.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the games announced on last year's PC Gaming Show, Last Oasis, has just released on Steam Early Access. Discounted until April 2nd.

Watching Forsen play, and it actually doesn't look half bad. These types of games tend to look like they use some template UI that the game engine came with, and everything's incredibly janky. But this actually looks pretty damn polished.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

300px-Yeah%2C_This_Is_Big_Brain_Time.jpg

I wonder why those takes always come out regarding Valve.

Never heard stuff regarding Sony exclusives or how profits of the online paywalls should go to all devs on the plattform.

What a load of waffle. "Valve alone"?

You could say the same about how Sony and PlayStation cuts and subscriptions help to offset the risks of first party development, including many VR games there too.

Or that all of us helped make Crackdown 3 become a reality because we subscribed to Office 365 or whatever.

Bollocks.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
And here's the followup where I spoke to a bunch of the devs using this setup
www.pcguide.com

Steam Commercial Only License Releases: Why it's happening

Steam commercial licenses exist to let people sell games for commercial use in VR arcades, here we take a look at why developers are using these licenses
Thats really interesting. The most interesting one was Vrerience. Really pushing forward aspects of VR that are not normally spoken on here in era.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
fuck a shopping cart, EGS needs a download speed limiter. It's eating up all my precious bandwidth!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Epic should get Cart Life on their store to satisfy all you cart lovers.

(Seriously though, play Cart Life if you haven't.)

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.