• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Unfortunately I don't expect GOG Galaxy to work on Linux any time soon, especially now that they are clearly trying to get a metalauncher working. Cross-platform chat in particular is either an empty promise (well, it's doable with Steam because Valve is nice and all, but all the other platforms are more of a problem), or it will require significant hoop jumping. Orrrr they're doing the taskman trick, but that's insanely platform specific.

Actually, even GOG's Linux installers would benefit from some check up.
Yeah my first thought was I'm not sure it's your call if you have cross platform communication cdproject lol

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

That is Playnite with discovery features.

D3nMMXi.png

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seems that Punch Line is coming to Steam tomorrow.

No achievements nor cloud on the storepage so they might just throw it out there like Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak: Special Gigs (phew). Hope not but it decides if I buy it or not.

I hate that PQube does this with most of the games they publish on PC. Just a day before release? Come on...

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I watched the first half of that human head q and a video and man if you have to dedicate the first 4 questions trying to convince your playerbase that already gave you money that you're not evil and terrible epics probably not winning the hearts and minds.

also the fact that their twitter, YouTube, subreddit, and messageboards are a tirefire. Like every other egs exclusive game at announcement.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I was thinking, with this Epic Mega Sale, for a lot of low priced titles like The Observation...really Epic is paying more than consumers to the devs. Literally some devs are selling the game to Epic instead of the consumers if Epic pays 10€ and the consumers 7-8€ or even less like for TWD Final Season.

When Valve gave 5€ when spending 30€...well, it was a single 5€ voucher applied on a 30€ order, a single time (or another time in case you spent more than...50€? Can't remember. It wasn't on every single title of their catalogue for an infinite amount of times.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I was thinking, with this Epic Mega Sale, for a lot of low priced titles like The Observation...really Epic is paying more than consumers to the devs. Literally some devs are selling the game to Epic instead of the consumers if Epic pays 10€ and the consumers 7-8€ or even less like for TWD Final Season.

When Valve gave 5€ when spending 30€...well, it was a single 5€ voucher applied on a 30€ order, a single time (or another time in case you spent more than...50€? Can't remember. It wasn't on every single title of their catalogue for an infinite amount of times.

Yes. This is what I mean in this post.

Epic has a 12% revenue cut and funds a discount up to 66.7% on every purchase. If you spend 15€, Epic receives 1.80€, yet Epic is okay giving you back 10€.

Valve has a 30% cut and funds a discount up to 16.7% once per account (for the Chinese New Year). If you spend 30€, Valve receives 9€, and Valve gives you back 5€.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

It depends on deal they have. As i said in Metro thread as far as i understand Epic pays for specific amount of copies in advance and until that number of copies is sold publisher/developer gets nothing. So basically Epic already paid for those copies and no it is trying to "get rid" of them.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
That GOG Galaxy stuff looks cool though it looks similar to Gamenite from what I've seen from screenshots.

The way Chris Avellone talked about the Outer Worlds exclusivity I would be surprised if it would.

I don't think Avellone has a say in this decision and he will take every opportunity to... speak out criticism against Obsidians upper management (though it might have been out of their control, too)

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Also EA going back to giving games away says to me that their Origins numbers are not great either.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, Sims 4 base game is basically worthless for them, they are more interested in getting you to buy the DLC than anything else.
In the case of Sims 4 I wouldn't read too much into it. They want people to get to play it and buy DLC/Expansions. There is also the case that they give it away to promote a potential Sims 5.

They stopped giving games away when they introduced Origin Access, and they would always add more games to the Vault than give them for free. That is why i am surprised that they are giving Sims 4 away instead of pushing Origin Access.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

That's pretty much what a lot of these moneyhats, especially Phoenix Point are.
Keep in mind that developers who took the deal don't actually receive money from individual sales anymore until the contractually, advanced amount of sales have been reached. They essentially sell their games for a lump sum to Epic and then receive 88% royalties on every copy after a a specific number of minimum copies.
Epic is their customer who in return is trying to attract customers of their own to their service, rather than using the epic store as a storefront to reach an end consumer as their customer.

Thus, the way Epic right now is conducting business is closer to Netlix than Steam.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
They stopped giving games away when they introduced Origin Access, and they would always add more games to the Vault than give them for free. That is why i am surprised that they are giving Sims 4 away instead of pushing Origin Access.
Origin Access probably has issues with DLC rich games (as people that do not own the game are less likely to buy the DLC). So they probably find it is more profitable to give away the base game (which they consider "worthless") for DLC riches.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Keep in mind that developers who took the deal don't actually receive money from individual sales anymore until the contractually, advanced amount of sales have been reached. They essentially sell their games for a lump sum to Epic and then receive 88% royalties on every copy after a a specific number of minimum copies.
Epic is their customer who in return is trying to attract customers of their own to their service, rather than using the epic store as a storefront to reach an end consumer as their customer.

Thus, the way Epic right now is conducting business is closer to Netlix than Steam.
not that i doubt you, but was the sales advanced stuff ever explicitly confirmed? it makes sense and I think a lot of people expected it but i don't know if we ever heard it from someone

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

I've been thinking about this too. If Epic are essentially the customer in this case, what they're doing with these big sales is saying 'We'll buy your product at full price, while devaluing it massively everywhere else.' Which is fine as long as they're buying it at full price. But once they stop, you can't sell it elsewhere because everyone's expecting that low low price.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
not that i doubt you, but was the sales advanced stuff ever explicitly confirmed? it makes sense and I think a lot of people expected it but i don't know if we ever heard it from someone

That sales advance stuff was confirmed in that russian galyonkin podcasts daxy translated

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...te-sergey-clarifying-points-on-twitter.93249/

"They mainly pay developers to finish financing ports or to assuage fears of the game not doing well on this new platform. The latter works like a minimum guarantee of sales."

But then again Galyonkin claimed daxy mistranslated things and then cleared it up by not actually pointing out any mistranslation and just confirmed things that were posted.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
It is not a sales advance. It is a sales guarantee, which means it is only triggered for the discrepancy between the actual sales and guaranteed sales.

In practice, it sounds more or less like the same, except that:
  1. if the actual sales are low, Epic cannot sell the games for cheap G2A-style, because they have not bought the games. The devs can still control the price which their games are sold at.
  2. offering $10 to the customer (so that the customer purchases a copy and gives these $10 back to the dev) is the only way for Epic to transform this minimum guarantee into more copies of the games: rather than giving revenue to the dev, they give revenue to the customer who gives revenue to the dev ; for Epic, nothing changes, for the dev, the revenue is the same, but there are more copies of the game in customers' home.
According to PCGamer:

Revenue guarantees, if you're not familiar with the term, simply mean Epic will promise that a game sold on its store will generate a certain amount of income for a developer. If the game fails to meet that threshold, Epic will find a way to make up the difference.

According to this other site:

The community manager went on to clarify the terms of the deal, saying that Epic's promise didn't come in the form of a single paycheck. Instead it was "for a minimum guarantee - which means Epic will guarantee that we will sell X number of copies. Even if we don't hit that number, they still pay us."

There are more quotes in this Reddit thread:

Keep in mind that we knew there would be backlash. We knew there would be refunds. If we had to refund 100% of currently pre-orders, we'd still be in the black. We didn't make the decision lightly

Obviously I can't go into details about the deal - but it's for a minimum guarantee - which means Epic will guarantee that we will sell X number of copies. Even if we don't hit that number, they still pay us.

Again, let me just be clear. Yes, we're being "paid" by Epic (it's actually a minimum sales guarantee). This wasn't a decision we made over night

We knew there would be upset, anger and outrage. We knew there would be refunds. This was all factored into our decision.

Still a lot with a minimum guarantee. Enough to keep the studio running for years to come - and that was the point of this. It significantly reduces our risk on launch and means we can continue to provide content and updates

Last edited:

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even get Sims 4 free on fucking Origin. After all the Access shit my only option is to gift it to someone free.
There's also been problems with getting it for people who did never subscribe to Access. Did you try getting to it through wishlist? (There's apparently a dedicated link somewhere on the page that does work, but I used the wishlist.)

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I can't even get Sims 4 free on fucking Origin. After all the Access shit my only option is to gift it to someone free.
There's also been problems with getting it for people who did never subscribe to Access. Did you try getting to it through wishlist? (There's apparently a dedicated link somewhere on the page that does work, but I used the wishlist.)
I couldn't get it to work on the client itself, but it went ok when I did it on the website. I've never been subbed to EA Access.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It is not a sales advance. It is a sales guarantee, which means it is only triggered for the discrepancy between the actual sales and guaranteed sales.

In practice, it sounds more or less like the same, except that if the actual sales are low, Epic cannot sell the games for cheap G2A-style, because they have not bought the games. The devs can still control the price which their games are sold at.

According to PCGamer:

According to this other site:

There are more quotes in this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...op_with_this_always_online/ecltfdj/?context=3

These exclusives don't come to stores for free; they're a result of some combination of marketing commitments, development funding, or revenue guarantees. This all helps developers.

From Tim Sweeney.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France

This confirms that it is revenue guarantee rather than bulk purchases of the games. This means that, from Epic's perspective, the $10 given to the customers would have been given anyway (assuming the sales are low). It does not matter whether one buys a game or not, the money which they offer would have gone to the dev in the end. The main difference is that more copies of the games are in customer's homes.

Edit: Hmmm... And some money goes to Epic... And some money goes to the dev, which increases the dev revenue, and that is less money that Epic would have to pay. I am lost.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This confirms that it is revenue guarantee rather than bulk purchases of the games. This means that, from Epic's perspective, the $10 given to the customers would have been given anyway (assuming the sales are low). It does not matter whether one buys a game or not, the money which they offer would have gone to the dev in the end. The main difference is that more copies of the games are in customer's homes.

Edit: Hmmm... And some money goes to Epic... And some money goes to the dev, which increases the dev revenue, and that is less money that Epic would have to pay. I am lost.
?
Epic gives the dev what they would be getting for a full purchase of the first X copies to get the game in the store. As they give them the money they would get in the store, they give them the 88%. The dev will not get any extra money until those "bought" copies are sold in the store (but as it is an upfront payment, it is more valuable for the dev).

During the sale, Epic pays for the 10$ cut, so they still give the devs the same money as they would in the original price. (So in a game that is originally 20$, they give the devs 17.6$ even when the user only paid 10$). In case that it is a game that hasnt sold the expected amount, it just means one less game in the tab.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Despite people's warnings I tried Dauntless. Yeah it's really barebones, and even worse the queues are terrible. You might be waiting in town with nothing to do for 10 minutes and sometimes it just dumps you out of the queue without warning. You even have to wait that long if you're playing alone. It's ridiculous.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Iirc, the new Far Cry was 50% off after a month.
It's the safety window for the 20% coupon (most regions restrict pre-order and "new" games, which means +3 months after release date).

Waiting 6 months, you could get the $120 ultimate edition of Odyssey for $31. Not only is the game massively improved from release, waiting a bit and you only pay a quarter the price.

Is this announced for PC yet? Absolutely loved that first game.
Yeah.

Amusing that they don't show any loot. Unless it's an entirely different genre, trailer is bullshit. Game also looks just as visually uninspired as the first one.

Sadrac

Oct 25, 2017

Let suposse that Epic guarantee 100 sales at U$S 20 and the game doesn´t sell anything, Epic loose U$S 2.000.
Now they give a U$S 10 discount and sells 50 copies, they loose U$S 1.500 (10x50 + 20x50).
Sorry for my english, I can read it well but no so much writing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's the safety window for the 20% coupon (most regions restrict pre-order and "new" games, which means +3 months after release date).

Waiting 6 months, you could get the $120 ultimate edition of Odyssey for $31. Not only is the game massively improved from release, waiting a bit and you only pay a quarter the price.

For sure. I've said it before, but games are never less complete or more expensive than the day of release. Every day after that sees a drop in price and an increase in quality (with maybe a handful of exceptions at best).

The main thing you're missing out on is talking about the game with others, getting into the zeitgeist. Which for some is a big part of the appeal, an understandable part even.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. I've said it before, but games are never less complete or more expensive than the day of release. Every day after that sees a drop in price and an increase in quality (with maybe a handful of exceptions at best).

The main thing you're missing out on is talking about the game with others, getting into the zeitgeist. Which for some is a big part of the appeal, an understandable part even.
Friends get the game together months after release.

Friends dont let friends fall into the hype.

Friends play CK2 together whenever a new game launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.