• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Afterparty and Observation at that price are mighty tempting I have to admit but meh, they're going to be that cheap on Steam eventually.

Considering their stance before, not just doing a sale but a "mega sale" now is pretty funny.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Blurgh

I am gonna wait

Not gonna buy TWD FS yet

Hopefully it goes down to $5 again in the future

Last edited:

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
EPIC sale you say?

62NW0mJ.gif

It does kind of smell of desperation a little bit.

Also lol at the Octopath price.

Speaking of Square, I started playing Front Mission 3. I didn't remember that the translation is this stiff, different times I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
£10 gets a lot of people into a walled garden, even against their own interests. It's frustrating and upsetting, but I guess that's capitalism for you.
Maybe when people stop working against their best interests I'll stop being shitty and condescending about it. Deal?

Going for the cheapest price in the only store that offers to me regional pricing isnt " working against my best interests " , Going for the $60 or even $50 version that is 30%-40% of my monthly income instead of the regionally priced $20's-$30's ( Sub $10-$20 in that Epic sale ) is a crime to me and my family

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd saved Bloodlines for the 2nd Castlevania collection

I don't want any of the other games

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope there is another one. I don't care much for classicvanias, but I want a collection (or ports in general) of the metrodvanias.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Dick move by Paradox removing VtM:Bloodlines 2 from EGS during the sale.

I guess the discount was too steep in some regions from their liking (and fucked them in GoG and their own store).

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
A new release:

I guess the discount was too steep in some regions from their liking (and fucked them in GoG and their own store).

So... does that mean that Epic chose the discount rates? lmao

Giving $10 form their pockets is fine, but choosing the discount rates for the games you sell without communicating with the publishers? Huh...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Going for the cheapest price in the only store that offers to me regional pricing isnt " working against my best interests " , Going for the $60 or even $50 version that is 30%-40% of my monthly income instead of the regionally priced $20's-$30's ( Sub $10-$20 in that Epic sale ) is a crime to me and my family

If its cheaper for you then I ain't gonna give you shit over it. But ultimately it is against your interest. Epic want a walled garden where prices and discounts of the products they buy exclusivity for are entirely at their discretion, and I'd rather not have to hope for Epic's largesse to continue.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
A new release:

So... does that mean that Epic chose the discount rates? lmao

Giving $10 form their pockets is fine, but choosing the discount rates for the games you sell without communicating with the publishers? Huh...

There is no discount rate. It is a flat 10$/€ in any game above 15. Which means that in some regions where the price is 16€ the game is effectively 6€, nearly a 75% discount in an unreleased game.

Oct 25, 2017
If its cheaper for you then I ain't gonna give you shit over it. But ultimately it is against your interest. Epic want a walled garden where prices and discounts of the products they buy exclusivity for are entirely at their discretion, and I'd rather not have to hope for Epic's largesse to continue.

My biggest interest is the price , and Epic offers to me a regional pricing option that isnt available in other stores sadly

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Wok you know dat Druidstone? Are you broke like me?

Can I interest you in this isntead, which everyone probably has in their library from some random bundle and forgot like we forget every bundle game?

Played a fair bit of it, it's actually very decent. Good art, challenging, actually rewards exploration because you get skill currency from it or items to sell and both currencies are super valuable, decent skills with a lot of environment interaction (lot's of pushing skills, you can push enemies off cliffs, into the environment for damage, push barrels into enemies etc).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
No, there is a discount as well.
Depending on the game yes, but that is a proper %. Bloodlines only had the 10€ discount. After that price, you get the flat 10€ discount if it is above 15. Which is what happened in Hades (the % made it jsut below 15 so it didnt get the flat discount until they fixed it).

The main issue is that the prices shown in the main page already count the 10€ discount so it seems that most of them have a % discount when they only have that 10€ cheaper version.

Edit to explain it better:
There is a % base discount first in some games that takes it from the base price in the different regions:
Imagine a game that is 60€ in one region and 18 in another, both have a 10% discount, making the game:
60*0.9=54€
18*0.9=16.2€

Then if the game is above the 15€ barrier, it gets a 10€ fixed cut:
60*0.9-10=44€
18*0.9-10=6.2€

The second flat discount makes the first game a total of 27% discount in the normal region but a 75% discount in the poorer region.

Last edited:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
MZCLzWL.png

I cannot even complain to JaseC about all my copies of Pat & Mat these days...

@Wok you know dat Druidstone? Are you broke like me?

Yes, I pay attention to my spendings these days, hence why I have not jumped on Druidstone yet, and keep on reading about every other game released.
I have just finished the free part of the new dungeon run mode of Hearthstone, released two hours ago.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
New PSU installed, some kind of cable management finally done XD

7y8rirb.jpg

I almost cut that damn USB 3.0 cable. Who the hell invented that damn thing, worst damn cable in PC case.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
What is so lol about the Octopath price? (other than the missing price matching for low wage countries)
60$ game releases at 60$. GTA V and MHW were also 60 when they released late. It is great the game is even getting a PC release.

Oct 27, 2017
What is so lol about the Octopath price? (other than the missing price matching for low wage countries)
60$ game releases at 60$. GTA V and MHW were also 60 when they released late. It is great the game is even getting a PC release.
60 bucks is absurd giving Square's terrible record with PC ports. They even had the balls to sell Nier Automata's GOTY editiok without addressing the regular edition's issues.

SSPssp

Oct 25, 2017
Look at it be Konami's usual shitty region locking, and you can only buy the one from your region (Japan or NOTJapan). Though it's the first time both packages appear... I'll still blame Konami being dumb.

Yeah apparently top is worldwide (except Japan and a couple others) while bottom is Russian etc. Just a mistake.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Tried out Steam Link with Portal 2 and Ni No Kuni 2 and it's honestly kinda incredible?

My internet is pretty bad and most game streaming doesn't work without major hitches or severe input lag, but this is the first time I've been able to play a game through streaming without either problem and ended up spending half an hour just playing 2 games like it was nothing.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
60 bucks is absurd giving Square's terrible record with PC ports. They even had the balls to sell Nier Automata's GOTY editiok without addressing the regular edition's issues.
Well, this sounds like an argument should the Octopath port actually turn out to be shitty. And with other shitty 60$ ports people never complain about the price but about how bad the ports are. so I don't believe this is the full reason.
So Nier Automata is not a great game after all and I should delete it from my Wishlist?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm thinking if getting around to Mankind Divided in the near future. I seem to recall hearing that it was a bit of a rough performer back a launch, is that still the case these days?

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Depending on the game yes, but that is a proper %. Bloodlines only had the 10€ discount. After that price, you get the flat 10€ discount if it is above 15. Which is what happened in Hades (the % made it jsut below 15 so it didnt get the flat discount until they fixed it).

The main issue is that the prices shown in the main page already count the 10€ discount so it seems that most of them have a % discount when they only have that 10€ cheaper version.

Edit to explain it better:
There is a % base discount first in some games that takes it from the base price in the different regions:
Imagine a game that is 60€ in one region and 18 in another, both have a 10% discount, making the game:
60*0.9=54€
18*0.9=16.2€

Then if the game is above the 15€ barrier, it gets a 10€ fixed cut:
60*0.9-10=44€
18*0.9-10=6.2€

The second flat discount makes the first game a total of 27% discount in the normal region but a 75% discount in the poorer region.

I see. The issue is the flat discount then, which is the same for every region.

However, if that money comes from Epic, I don't understand how this could be an issue for the publisher. Epic should have given a $10 voucher to everyone, with some restrictions (is only applied for spendings above $15 ; disappears at the end of the sales) and some changes (you get a new voucher after you use one).

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this sounds like an argument should the Octopath port actually turn out to be shitty. And with other shitty 60$ ports people never complain about the price but about how bad the ports are. so I don't believe this is the full reason.
So Nier Automata is not a great game after all and I should delete it from my Wishlist?
I mean, you can complain before hand given the story of Square. People complained aobut the FFXII HD price being full price to (because it is one year later and they have seen better sales).

I see. The issue is the flat discount then, which is the same for every region. However, if that money comes from Epic, I don't really see how this is an issue for the publisher.
In the case of Paradox it is about image and mainting good relations with other stores, you have to consider that they are selling in other stores (such as their own) which they normally ask for at least equivalent sale prices in a time.

Having a discount for their flagship game (their first AAA game) of around 50-75% a year before launch is imposible for other stores to compete with (and heck, even for Paradox store unatteinable).

Edit: basically, flat number discounts tend to be too loopsided when the same good can have different prices in different regions, which is why most times, they are not done (and they use %s to maintain a certain balance between regions). When Steam did it, they carefully changed the 5€ to be its equivalent in most region (so not a constant).

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Having a discount for their flagship game (their first AAA game) of around 50-75% a year before launch is imposible for other stores to compete with (and heck, even for Paradox store unatteinable).

I wonder if what Epic is doing is actually illegal: giving back $10 to every customer for every purchase above $15. That is pretty much killing the competition.

They have a 12% revenue cut and fund a discount up to 66.7% on every purchase.
If you spend 15€, they should receive 1.80€, yet they are okay giving you back 10€.

That is akin to what Valve has done recently, but on a whole other scale: giving back $5 once per account for purchases over $30.

They have a 30% cut and fund a discount up to 16.7% once.
If you spend 30€, they should receive 9€, and they give you back 5€.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if what Epic is doing is actually illegal: giving back $10 to every customer for every purchase above $15.

That is akin to what Valve has done recently, but on a whole other scale: giving back $5 once per account for purchases over $30.

That is pretty much killing the competition.
I mean, they are selling at a loss in some cases (paying more to the devs than they get from the customer). However, as they are not in a leading position (nor even close), it gets harder to quantify lol.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
That is pretty much killing the competition.

I wonder if what Epic is doing is actually illegal: giving back $10 to every customer for every purchase above $15.

You really think that they have means to limit purchases after first one? Also they can't do that because it is their fault that they don't have a cart on damn store. Epic Store simply is not ready for anything serious and everything they do is basically done on the fly. Their setup for lower prices in different regions is simply certain % lower price instead proper system for regional pricing.

Also Oxygen Not Included is removed from the store too.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
My guess behind other games being removed from the sale:

I guess games that are in multiple stores just realized that the flat discount applies in all regions, creating % discounts that are too high for other stores they promised "equivalent pricing in the near future" (such as GoG, Steam, GMG) to ever reach soon.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tried out Steam Link with Portal 2 and Ni No Kuni 2 and it's honestly kinda incredible?

My internet is pretty bad and most game streaming doesn't work without major hitches or severe input lag, but this is the first time I've been able to play a game through streaming without either problem and ended up spending half an hour just playing 2 games like it was nothing.

Yeah I tried it out with Monster Hunter and Lumines and it was insane how well it worked. MH obviously had tiny text but it was fun to just go around and hunt smaller monsters, not something id play seriously on my small phone lol.

But Lumines I played with my touch screen and it felt like I was playing a native IOS game. The vibrating option even worked, though my phone was vibrating a little too heavily so I had to turn it down. I ended up playing for a solid 40 minutes and I completely forgot I was streaming.

Also the fact that Steam Controllers work with IOS without any adapter or 3rd party program required is pretty great. Wish I could use my X1 controller though.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone pick up Castlevania? I can't get the game to recognise my controller. Can't get past the press any button screen. Tried Xbox One and PS4 pads.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MS might own Obsidian now but it's still published by 2k. I'd really doubt it if it ends up being on gamepass, and probably not play anywhere.

And really, a UWP version of an Obsidian game sounds pretty unappealing.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
BTW, is it expected to always post new releases or discounts in this thread?
Surviving Mars has a Weekend deal combined with a free Weekend
Also is the Season Pass content any good? It's not part of the free weekend.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, is it expected to always post new releases or discounts in this thread?
Surviving Mars has a Weekend deal combined with a free Weekend
Also is the Season Pass content any good? It's not part of the free weekend.

It adds terraforming with the expansion that has just released, which according to many is a big game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.