• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how Rocksteady still has nothing to show. Its been 3 years since AK. And now next year at the least is when we hear of it first so that means it won't be out until 2020.

5 years time between games basically. AAA dev time is reaching stupid levels.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
The new theme looks horrible too :(
Changes just for the sake of changes. The spacing is bad, the top bar is bad, the decision of having avatars besides thread titles is, frankly, stupid.

And their answer for some problem was basically "modify the CSS" and you can't do that on mobile.

Really gonna visit this site less, I mostly visit on mobile and I hate how the new site looks on mobile.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Changes just for the sake of changes. The spacing is bad, the top bar is bad, the decision of having avatars besides thread titles is, frankly, stupid.

And their answer for some problem was basically "modify the CSS" and you can't do that on mobile.

Really gonna visit this site less, I mostly visit on mobile and I hate how the new site looks on mobile.
It'll kill all the extensions I use to make the site bareable too.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they sort out the saving of images using right-click, since last I checked the context menu doesn't display for images wider than the post width. Kinda a fundamental feature tbh.

As a massive fan of the game, personally, that looks kinda awful to me. Might be a bit of a purist.

I've considered picking up the originals in the past though I've been hesitant since they look so dated. More to do with me than the games themselves, which I've heard are still decent.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Especially since Valve doesn't take cut from keys, so real cut of total overall sales is way less than 30%. Which everyone conveniently forgets.

holy crap Valve doesnt take a cut from keys?! Then why do people use the 30% as a baseline excuse? Companies could just incorporate steam works and keep the price forever full on Steam (like Ubi used to do with their games on steam) and sell keys on humble or whatever for full price. I dont think we can ever use the 30% excuse again.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Not long before the legacy forum theme will be resting in pieces. Farewell, you had a decent run.
What, they are getting rid of the legacy themes?

Even though there was a poll on here a couple of months ago which showed like 90% of people prefer them over the new ones? Are they redoing the new ones entirely with 2.0?

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
holy crap Valve doesnt take a cut from keys?! Then why do people use the 30% as a baseline excuse? Companies could just incorporate steam works and keep the price forever full on Steam (like Ubi used to do with their games on steam) and sell keys on humble or whatever for full price. I dont think we can ever use the 30% excuse again.

Its why we all laugh at the shit. Add on the steam infrastructure n built in support and that 30% doesn't even sound so bad. Especially when some clients have shitty regional blocking friends lists and region locked clients where na and eu are separate installs of games (battleshit.net)

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017

They can, though according to this article they changed the way keys were approved at the end of last year, from being a fully automated process to an approved one if the number of activations outside of Steam is much greater than the number of sales on Steam, to prevent sales primarily from outside sites.

What, they are getting rid of the legacy themes?

That's what they stated in the 2.0 beta topic that showed up in everyone's notifications. December 2nd is the date when 2.0 will be the only available theme.

I prefer this one too, but probably because it's the most similar to the old GAF look. As opposed to NightEra theme, I actually like Era 2.0. It can still use a ton of work in trimming spaces, but it feels much better to use than Day/NightEra.

It's a step up from the current defaults, yea (apart from some remaining issues).

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
The new forum will also kill portrait avatars, forcing us all into squares.

I don't know why this triggers me so much but it makes me rage a little inside. Oddly I prefer the beta site on mobile, but on my desktop is just looks like a forum stuck in mobile mode. I will severely miss the Legacy DarkERA.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
The new forum will also kill portrait avatars, forcing us all into squares. I don't know why this triggers me so much but it makes me rage a little inside.

It's not actually as bad as this. The max dimensions on the 2.0 site are 120x120px, so while they are square it actually preserves the max height portraits currently have on the legacy themes—unlike the current Day/Night default themes which force a smaller square (96x96px) and does actually scale down portrait sizes in addition to the annoying semi-opaque background fills.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
The new forum will also kill portrait avatars, forcing us all into squares.

I don't know why this triggers me so much but it makes me rage a little inside. Oddly I prefer the beta site on mobile, but on my desktop is just looks like a forum stuck in mobile mode. I will severely miss the Legacy DarkERA.
Wait, so my avatar will be fucked too?

Fuck this

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
It's not actually as bad as this. The max dimensions on the 2.0 site are 120x120px, so while they are square portraits it actually preserves the max height portraits currently have on the legacy themes—unlike the current Day/Night default themes which force a smaller square (96x96px) and do actually scale down portrait sizes in addition to the addition of annoying semi-opaque background fills.

Mhm, when I try to upload my current portrait avatar though it forces it into a Square, instead of scaling it. >_<

Edit: Specifically it forces my current avatar inot a 96x96 Square, Ahhhhhhh. So annoying. And the one on user profile goes up to 192x190, but it blows it up seemingly from the 96x96 square so it gets pixelated. orz.

The native res of my avatar as crafted in Photoshop is 175x207. The current Legacy themes scale it quite well though. The new themes... Ugh.

Last edited:

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
At least they somewhat fixed that eye searing purple of Night Era. I'm really not a fan, but it's going to happen regardless.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Mhm, when I try to upload my current portrait avatar though it forces it into a Square, instead of scaling it. >_<

So you're saying the avatar is cropped when processed by the forum software? Huh.

Fake edit: just checked a user's profile with a full-height portrait avatar and you're right, it is cropped. For whatever reason the few I saw when initially checking didn't make this obvious so I assumed it was just a max width/height scaling. Gaawwd daammmn it.

Example in beta
Example in current

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
So you're saying the avatar is cropped when processed by the forum software? Huh.

Fake edit: just checked a user's profile with a full-height portrait avatar and you're right, it is cropped. For whatever reason the few I saw when initially checking didn't make this obvious so I assumed it was just a max width/height scaling. Gaawwd daammmn it.

Example in beta
Example in current

I did a edit too lol, but it seems you have seen the results yourself. Dark times ahead.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

I am an incredible creature of habit.
I hate getting used to new things.

What's with that ginormous Resetera Gold Ad at the bottom.

Also: Too Many menues that do the same thing.
eWELalO.png

Reminds me of WinServ2016

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that's weird about the new design is that it has both a permanent side bar, and a quick jump button in the permanent top bar.
8dd05787-b37f-49a3-902b-1f4a5df989f3.png

Honestly, having both of these bars seems silly. It should be optional side bar on Desktop, where you can spare the horizontal width, and only top bar on mobile

EDIT:
lol, Hektor

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checked out the beta.

Honestly it looks fine. It's got bits of nightera but none of the eye bleeding parts. Colours are just like legacy dark era.

I can get used to it.

r3n4ud

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I am an incredible creature of habit.
I hate getting used to new things.

What's with that ginormous Resetera Gold Ad at the bottom.

Also: Too Many menues that do the same thing.
eWELalO.png

Reminds me of WinServ2016

Tbh, I don't think the new look is actually meant to please old users. Get used to it or buzz off seems to be the only deal put forth. They never poll us on any of these changes. There are never any big threads asking for this stuff.

They just do shit. Get heavy backlash. Say "we're listening." Sometimes reverse those changes. Fuck up again because they didn't actually listen. Repeat. I'm not claiming to have my finger on the pulse of Era, but if I had to say I would guess that the majority of users here have always preferred the traditional forum style as presented formerly by GAF and Current Era because Function>Form. But now, they are forcing us into Form>Function.

Well, that's how I feel about it anyway. I'm sure I'll get used to the new layout eventually, but mine as well get these things off the chest now.

Status
Not open for further replies.