• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
So is there no way to view individual developers on Steam now? That's kind of a bummer, because it means seeing the exact things they've put on Steam is basically impossible now.

(For those unaware, clicking on developers takes you to the publisher hub, which is... not helpful at all, honestly. Unless the game is self-published, I guess.)

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The revenue change is very obviously targeted at retaining (or even getting back? We can only hope) big publishers on the service.

Dakath

Oct 26, 2017
So is there no way to view individual developers on Steam now? That's kind of a bummer, because it means seeing the exact things they've put on Steam is basically impossible now.

(For those unaware, clicking on developers takes you to the publisher hub, which is... not helpful at all, honestly. Unless the game is self-published, I guess.)

Still seems to work the old way on most games? I saw what you meant on...A game page I've somehow lost track of and thus cannot link back to. The URLs between Dev/Pub were different but both ended up at the publisher like you said. But just about every other game page with different Dev/Pubs seemed to work as intended.

Oct 25, 2017

That's not the case for all developers. Some take you to the developers' page.
Take a look at this for example:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The revenue change is very obviously targeted at retaining (or even getting back? We can only hope) big publishers on the service.

Until they start whining that a 20% cut is too much too. They won't be happy until they can get 100% of every sale.

Even then they'll still probably find something to bitch about.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Generally you would be correct.

On this forum however, when it comes to game platform holders, it's completely one sidedly aimed at Valve. I literally have never seen it aimed at anyone else despite most of them taking a similar split and Valve arguably doing more to ask for it.

Is Valve really doing that much more? I heard multiple times now that with their complete hands-off approach doesn't offer any personal contacts devs can reach out to regarding support or marketing ideas.

Does the code expire?

It's valid for 12 days I think.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Indie's still get the original cut though? On that I disagree with the change if so.

I honestly don't have an opinion on tthe matter. Makers of big games have more pull than indie devs and they also have the option of distributing games through their own services. Big publishers removing their games from Steam is going to affect Valve's business in a big way so this change is probably supposed to entice them to not leave, or even get some of them back. Is the changed revenue share enough to accomplish that? I have no idea. Is it unfair to indie devs? It certainly is on paper, however I don't know how much the provided services cost and if the 30% cut from very small games is enough to cover that cost.

The most probable explanation is that Valve was forced to change the revenue share to keep publishers from leaving while they feel that they are not in any such danger with indie devs. If the cut that Valve demanded from them was higher than what other services get, I would consider it unfair. Since the cut is the same as other services, I am inclined to consider it a response to the PC market's realities (the ability to sell your game outside of Steam) rather than a "fuck indie devs" attitude.

Until they start whining that a 20% cut is too much too. They won't be happy until they can get 100% of every sale.

Even then they'll still probably find something to bitch about.

Of course. The issue was never the cut itself.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I honestly don't have an opinion on tthe matter. Makers of big games have more pull than indie devs and they also have the option of distributing games through their own services. Big publishers removing their games from Steam is going to affect Valve's business in a big way so this change is probably supposed to entice them to not leave, or even get some of them back. Is the changed revenue share enough to accomplish that? I have no idea. Is it unfair to indie devs? It certainly is on paper, however I don't know how much the provided services cost and if the 30% cut from very small games is enough to cover that cost.

The most probable explanation is that Valve was forced to change the revenue share to keep publishers from leaving while they feel that they are not in any such danger with indie devs. If the cut that Valve demanded from them was higher than what other services get, I would consider it unfair. Since the cut is the same as other services, I am inclined to consider it a response to the PC market's realities (the ability to sell your game outside of Steam) rather than a "fuck indie devs" attitude.
Thanks for the reply, your points are valid.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I decided to use the $10 coupon I got for buying Life is Strange 2 on Sunset Overdrive. I needed to get the purchase total up to $20, so I looked for a cheap VR game and found one made by the OG Burnout devs. I had to support, and I'm glad I did. I finally got the game I wanted ever since Shooting Range from Wii Play. Shooting targets all around you with dual pistols is a lot of fun. The knife throwing stages can get stressful when you're trying to avoid hitting old ladies.

Deques

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm... It's December today. So a new Humble Yogscast Jingle Jam Bundle today? The last one started 5pm GMT

This year's schedule. So the Jam is starting soon

DtQkRLZUwAAiu0E.jpg:large

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... It's December today. So a new Humble Yogscast Jingle Jam Bundle today? The last one started 5pm GMT

Yeah there should be bundle today. Question is will they leak whole list this year?

Apparently submission had min limit of $20 msrp (with expections possible), so maybe it's less DLCy this year.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
What about the "fear" to lose out on RDR2 for example? Again, interesting they "blinked first" as I said, since they specifically mention "big games" in the post, and besides very specific indies that blow up huge, it seems aimed at the $60 crowd.

They blinked first because they had to. The PC platform being open as it is, they have no way of forcing big publishers to sell through Steam. Some games are big enough to sell well outside of Steam. In the same way that publishers weigh keeping 100% of the revenue against maybe selling less overall by not being on Steam, Valve has to weigh making less from sales of each big game against potentially losing all the revenue from them.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Normally I'd be down for this kind of game, but eesh modern military stuff is so bland. I'm sorry End State. I can't go down this road with you.

Duck Boar aesthetic > milsim aesthetic

For me as well a little bit. Games like Rainbow Six Siege get away with it cuz all the customization they allow. Plus it's not all neckbeard dudebros, the roster is really diverse.

Deques

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah there should be bundle today. Question is will they leak whole list this year?

Apparently submission had min limit of $20 msrp (with expections possible), so maybe it's less DLCy this year.
I read that one of the Yogscast guy aimed for games only bundle, at least his selection for the bundle are games only.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
To those of you who are looking at Mutant Year Zero or Jagged Alliance, End State looks pretty good.

Thanks for reminding me to put this on wishlist. This looks close enough to JA I'd want to play. I still have a feeling nothing will ever surpass JA2 for me but this will probably scratch that sort of itch quite well. Cautiously optimistic about this one.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Elex is sooo good, thanks piranha i can feel it.

ricflair.gif
I adored Elex despite its flaws until the end game when the barely explained, oddly specific, never before relevant morality system directly affects the ending and aftermath. In my case I got something that suggested the opposite of how I played the game but apparently I was four cold points too high.

Always something with Piranha

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
If Balanced is Darksiders 3's 'Normal' difficulty, then they must've taken some pointers from olde Capcom games, cuz just about every enemy now is wasting my life bar like nobody's business XD

Toast

Oct 28, 2017
Is the online for NBA2k19 active? Have a friend that is interested in playing that game.

Also have a 25% coupon of Pig Eat Ball and a 20% off Rapture Reject if anyone wants it.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
The amount of indiedevs i'm seeing on twitter upset with the changes is crazy to me.

https://twitter.com/doougle/status/1068701019696058368
https://twitter.com/blakemizzi/status/1068752537501622272
https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/1068708587118112768
https://twitter.com/Draknek/status/1068685308927991808
https://twitter.com/retroremakes/status/1068672103585669121
https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1068667585942548481

Also, thanks to these very indiedevs i found an interesting article about itch.io and it's...eh... profability?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/29/18118217/itchio-steam-leaf-corcoran-pc-games-indie

"Itchio's own profit varies from month to month, Corcoran said, but it usually breaks even."

Last edited:

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
"We don't have any disadvantages by this yet we're still upset."

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
If valve dropped cut for indies people would be raging over Valve killing itch.io, discord and Humble Bundle. Valve can't win either way.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe they have a different view than you?

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe indie devs who are struggling to make ends meat being disappointed that only AAA blockbusters are getting help is a "dumb opinion".

They aren't disappointed that they are getting a worse deal. They are disappointed because really, they are the ones who need the help the most even if they understand why they wouldn't be the ones to get it. See what Paz wrote in the other thread here for a better, more nuanced example.

There are absolutely a couple of hot takes in that list of Twitter posts though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're getting the same cut as they have always gotten, same as virtually every store but Itch.io (you know, the one that barely breaks even), and they still get more for those 30% than everywhere else.

Doesn't explain why it's dumb. I don't see an inde dev feeling injustice for the big rich devs gaining more profits than them who are struggling to be a dumb view. Odd view? Maybe, but dumb? No.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't explain why it's dumb. I don't see an inde dev feeling injustice for the big rich devs gaining more profits than them who are struggling to be a dumb view. Odd view? Maybe, but dumb? No.

It's dumb to complain about something that is the same everywhere but for only one place. I can understand an industry wide outrage at 30%.
Targeted at one company just feel like it's "in" to criticize the same one despite being the same as every others.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's dumb to complain about something that is the same everywhere but for only one place. I can understand an industry wide outrage at 30%.
Targeted at one company just feel like it's "in" to criticize the same one despite being the same as every others.

Just because it's the same thing everywhere else, doesn't exclude them to have an opinion on this matter. I neither want to call their opinion dumb just because I might disagree with them. It's so easy to call someone elses opinion dumb if I disagree with their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.