• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Valve better don't forget about Artifact first anniversary in two weeks

They're in it for the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong haul

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Dicey Dungeons outsold the lifetime sales of VVVVV and Super Hexagon combined within just its first month. Really nice success for Terry Cavanagh.

distractionware: devlog - 1: Launch Day?

That's great to hear, and well-deserved. DD was clever, funny and charming and I just couldn't stop playing even though Witch 4 was completely horrible. Post-launch support was amazing too, lots of balancing and improvements.

Omg Switch port! Totally double dipping.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Thought I'd give a quick look at the early state of Steam Origin integration. IMO far better than most thus far.

- Steam installs "Origin Thin", which is the same as normal Origin after it updates

- First time you run an Origin linked game, you need to link your EA (Origin) and Steam accounts

- I actually ran into a problem at this stage where the game didn't start further and was left with a look at my Origin library. So simply closed Origin and hit play on the game in Steam.

- This time, the only sign of Origin is this brief message:

-Then this splash screen and you are straight into the game. There didn't appear to be any signs that Origin was active on the desktop, and when the game is closed, Origin is not there. Far better than Uplay, which remains in all its bloat.

Prior to SW Jedi Fallen Order, I've never had any version of Origin installed.

Don't want to clog up this thread, but I've had two issues involving Origin/Steam integration, and still can't find a solution googling.

First one is every time I launch the game on Steam, EA Link crashes immediately. I've no idea what EA Link is for, but even launching the EA Link app from the Origins folder it crashes immediately as well. I've uninstalled Origin and reinstalled through the installer in the game folder with no change.

The second issue is the Origin cloud save feature is completely broken for me, never syncing properly between cloud and local. I've just turned it off now and manually back up.

Googling EA Link I see a few issues from other users but no explanation of what it is or how to fix it not crashing.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head I can't remember Valve acknowledging an anniversary of anything. Maybe they did a blog post for TF2 or something but that's about it.

Yeah the TF2 blog did get a 10th anniversary of the Orange Box blog post.
TF2 also has a birthday mode that activates on the anniversary of the original Team Fortress that changes a few small things
They also recently did a 20th anniversary of CS update for CSGO.

But stuff like that is pretty rare, I think most people at Valve prefer to look forward rather than look back.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
It's the HL2 anniversary and Valve did nothing at all, not even a sale on all HL titles. Bah, they really don't care at all.
Off the top of my head I can't remember Valve acknowledging an anniversary of anything. Maybe they did a blog post for TF2 or something but that's about it.

Valve have said before they don't really care much for anniversary celebrations, announcements etc
But I do wonder if they were planning on doing something for HLVR.
Pretty sure they are on the final stretch for shipping. Also:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
shamelessly cross-posting from the Switch thread, but I love the game and if anyone is looking for Sparklite impressions:
Thanks was good to read those impressions yesterday before I got to dive in a bit. :)
Which worked out well since I had fun with the game while waiting for my copy of JFO to get here. Sparklite's pretty cool so far, looking forward to getting back to it.

Does this have a physical release
Know I'm late seeing this but at least all three console versions of Sparklite have physical copies (at least in the US).

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Gujian 3 is really impressive. Even the world is reflected in the eyes of the characters:

Gu_jian_3_Screenshot_2019.11.16_-_12.59.26.70.png

Gu_jian_3_Screenshot_2019.11.16_-_13.01.57.92.png
Looks great, think I'm gonna try to pick this up before the sale ends since it seems like the English is okay enough too to not be too bad.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks was good to read those impressions yesterday before I got to dive in a bit. :)
Which worked out well since I had fun with the game while waiting for my copy of JFO to get here. Sparklite's pretty cool so far, looking forward to getting back to it.

unfortunately im left a bit disapointed with it now that im about to finish (in fact I only didnt finish because the last boss bugged out on me and I got stuck in geometry). That's the second indie in a row I buy day 1, in a time where indies arent that cheap anymore, and end up...I wont say regreting it because ultimately I did enjoy the games, but certainly underwhelmed and feeling I should have just waited for sales :/

I also should stop doing first impressions as I fear that might intice people to get the games based on them and then the rest of the game doesnt pan out and I feel bad.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
unfortunately im left a bit disapointed with it now that im about to finish (in fact I only didnt finish because the last boss bugged out on me and I got stuck in geometry). That's the second indie in a row I buy day 1, in a time where indies arent that cheap anymore, and end up...I wont say regreting it because ultimately I did enjoy the games, but certainly underwhelmed and feeling I should have just waited for sales :/

I also should stop doing first impressions as I fear that might intice people to get the games based on them and then the rest of the game doesnt pan out and I feel bad.
No worries, was already getting it. :)
Enjoyed the beginning so I just need to see if it'll hold up keeping things fresh or get repetitive over time for me.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
No worries, was already getting it. :)
Enjoyed the beginning so I just need to see if it'll hold up keeping things fresh or get repetitive over time for me.

it doesnt get repetitive because its short >_> It doesnt have a timer and Switch has that baffling "wait 10 days until we tell you how long you played" thing, but it feels like I played like 8-10 hours if that the last few days. It's the same problem I had with Yaga, 8ish hours is fine for a FPS or something, for a action rpg not so much, it feels like when they are done introducing systems...the game ends and you end up barely using all the systems.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK

That's quite some time!

Suppose that means another dead thing is celebrating its anniversary today too.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Looks great, think I'm gonna try to pick this up before the sale ends since it seems like the English is okay enough too to not be too bad.
It's all right. There are a lot of grammar issues and typos (especially in the menus), but it's all understandable so far. The dialogue was handled the best; there are still mistakes, but it sounds natural enough a lot of the time that it's not distracting (and the Chinese VA is really quite good). Good luck having any idea about any of the character names, though. ;)

How's the game play? Had it in my wishlist a little while, so may bite.
It's a JRPG. Action combat (combos, abilities, defense, party members) with all the usual trappings (quests, loot and inventory, XP and skill points, copious amounts of dialogue and cutscenes, fishing).

I'd describe it as a budget modern-style Final Fantasy. Emphasis on the budget (though it does look quite nice at times). It's also steeped in Chinese mythology (it's fantasy, but it draws on real-world culture and legend), so some things probably have a deeper meaning than any of us will ever really pick up on (though the game has a full lore menu).

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
It's all right. There are a lot of grammar issues and typos (especially in the menus), but it's all understandable so far. The dialogue was handled the best; there are still mistakes, but it sounds natural enough a lot of the time that it's not distracting (and the Chinese VA is really quite good). Good luck having any idea about any of the character names, though. ;)

It's a JRPG. Action combat (combos, abilities, defense, party members) with all the usual trappings (quests, loot and inventory, XP and skill points, copious amounts of dialogue and cutscenes, fishing).

I'd describe it as a budget modern-style Final Fantasy. Emphasis on the budget (though it does look quite nice at times). It's also steeped in Chinese mythology (it's fantasy, but it draws on real-world culture and legend), so some things probably have a deeper meaning than any of us will ever really pick up on (though the game has a full lore menu).
Sounds good tbh, think I'll bite since it's on sale

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good tbh, think I'll bite since it's on sale
It's definitely a better-than-average "indie"-ish JRPG. The combat isn't super deep, but there are a lot of abilities in the skill trees (each character seems to have their own "constellation"), morale abilities, and team abilities, and there is a big emphasis on mobility (dodging is really useful) and defense (pretty typical block/parry). Enemies are spongy in a way that's a bit annoying, but it seems to be flashy and fun enough for the parts I've played.

It's even fully voiced with a ton of cutscenes (a ton). The areas are pretty expansive too (they're not physically open-world size or anything, but you'll spend a lot of time wandering through various levels and winding your way up or down, and every area so far has been unique). It is linear for the story bits, though it may open up later (I know there's a house or village or something that you get to manage later on), and most of the areas have optional side missions or events.

And the style is refreshing after years of anime trash influencing these types of games.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, that sounds pretty good.

LOL

Sounds like stuff I could live with for this game as their first attempt since this is a rare kind of game and I wasn't really expecting something like an XSEED translation going in as long as it was decent. Plus especially if the dialogue is handled best. Like it's good to know that even with some typos and grammar in some of the text like the menus everything's still usable.

Love the sound of it having the budget for a lot of VA and story cutscenes to go with these nice looking areas.

Last edited:

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. The first companion you get is "Yunwuyue" or something, and I'm just like "what?" And the guy you start out playing as has a name that starts with an X, heaven help us.

It's a good thing there is no dub, because I don't really want to hear an English speaker try to pronounce any of this shit.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously. The first companion you get is "Yunwuyue" or something, and I'm just like "what?" And the guy you start out playing as has a name that starts with an X, heaven help us.

It's a good thing there is no dub, because I don't really want to hear an English speaker try to pronounce any of this shit.
LOL, seen plenty of games with character names with an X, but it's true that since not too many Chinese games get translated yet it'll take time to match the unusual for english spelling to the pronunciation.
I think they'd be fine once knowing the pronunciation.

Last edited:

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's great to hear, and well-deserved. DD was clever, funny and charming and I just couldn't stop playing even though Witch 4 was completely horrible. Post-launch support was amazing too, lots of balancing and improvements.

Omg Switch port! Totally double dipping.
Yeah, the game was pretty fun although I hope Steam Workshop gets implemented eventually. Although it's nice that the game already supports modding, I found workshop function really improves accessibility and overall interest in modding (for both modders and users).

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
.... woah.
Seriously, you should consider learning another language. Anything. Going out of your cultural bubble can be a good thing.

Oct 27, 2017
The idea is to ship very shortly if not immediately after announcement.
- 16-Nov-2019 = HL2 is 15 years old
- 17-Nov-2019 = L4D2 is 10 years old
- 18-Nov-2019 = ???

Probably not that, but guessing Game Awards at this stage.
And the 19th is when the original HL was released.

The Game Awards make the most sense if they want a big splashy unveiling though.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I find it pathetic actually.

Yeah, but everyone from players to devs not blinded by money, can see the tactic and disingenuous attitude behind it.
PC gaming has been multi-store for ages, and with great successes for those stores. Year on year, exclusivity has reduced.
The tactic is nothing to dissimilar to populist politics. Scream loud enough to the uneducated and those with an axe to grind, and it's "truth"

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The community has always cared way, way more about anniversaries than Valve has.

Honestly no developer/publisher gives 2 shits about anniversaries. They might use it as an opportunity to make some announcement if the timing happens to line up close but that's about it. Given how development cycles work anniversaries don't really mean anything.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but everyone from players to devs not blinded by money, can see the tactic and disingenuous attitude behind it.
PC gaming has been multi-store for ages, and with great successes for those stores. Year on year, exclusivity has reduced.
The tactic is nothing to dissimilar to populist politics. Scream loud enough to the uneducated and those with an axe to grind, and it's "truth"

I completely agree, hence the reason I find it pathetic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.