• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Oct 25, 2017
Review threads weird me out cause it seems like negative reviews make people defensive over a game they've never played
I still remember a thread where people were discussing how there needed to be an alternative review site where only the most trusted review sites would be allowed, since they felt Metacritic had many untrustworthy ones. This conversation was triggered by Sterling's BotW review.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, variations of that statement are always present in games that were pretty hyped and ended up being great but with big flaws.

It's the first time I've heard it, but I don't tend to frequent review threads too often. I kinda get what they mean, but it's just so silly the way they said it. The more, let's say, agreeable way of phrasing that thought would've probably been something like "it's divisive" or "people who like it, really like it and vice versa".

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I love review threads for the popcorn factor.

Hell, I'm looking forward to Stranding PC, but when you get gems like people legitimately claiming things like,

"And, game reviewers typically have zero idea how to judge whether a story is good or not. They simply lack the literary and cinematic education in order to properly judge story properly. They typically have zero understanding of themes, subtext, cinematography, or what in general makes minute-to-minute writing good. Thus, I can't really ever take their word seriously whenever they discuss story and have to just judge it for myself."

...man, it's like free entertainment!

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite game on Game Pass so far? Hydro Thunder Hurricane. A very fun arcade racer.

Really enjoyed the original Hydro Thunder back in the day.

I'm not a big racing game fam but I only really seem to enjoy more arcade or less serious racing games with unique course like Mario Kart, Beetle Adventure Racing and Hydro Thunder.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
leaked humble confirmed
d25YUeV.png

and Shenmue 1 and 2 were added as unlocked games to last months for those who got it for spyro and crash :P (and some other games I don't know off the top of my head :P)

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Evergarden is cool, but don't want Synthetik or Shenmue. Also lame to include 11-11 given that it was in the BTA tier of a Weekly Bundle earlier this year, though I guess I can't complain too much given that this month had one of their best early unlocks ever.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
11-11 memories retold is that war story adventure game, I think.

I already own the 2 Shenmues, so I'll probably put the codes up for a giveaway this weekend.

December bundle is pretty meh. I already own Kiwami, and not interested in either Soul Calibur or Portia.

Time to pause, I guess.

1 gift from chadskin

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from chadskin chadskin!

This is a quick raffle that will expire in 6 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

chadskin said:

These are our awesome prizes:

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from SunBroDave SunBroDave!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

• Steam Steam: 11-11 Memories Retold - Won by fspm fspm (8 entries)

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
The reveals are a tad underwhelming as I've never heard of some of these titles. Operator looks interesting, its description is giving me Hacknet vibes.

Oct 27, 2017
I love review threads for the popcorn factor.

Hell, I'm looking forward to Stranding PC, but when you get gems like people legitimately claiming things like,

"And, game reviewers typically have zero idea how to judge whether a story is good or not. They simply lack the literary and cinematic education in order to properly judge story properly. They typically have zero understanding of themes, subtext, cinematography, or what in general makes minute-to-minute writing good. Thus, I can't really ever take their word seriously whenever they discuss story and have to just judge it for myself."

...man, it's like free entertainment!
That post really deserves to become Era's version of "I don't know how much you know about X (I'm an expert)"

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I have been to Paris Games Week.

There is a booth with a playable demo of Hollow Knight Silksong at the Nintendo corner. I was not able to play it because the waiting time was long (easily an hour), despite the short queue (always five to ten people, at any time during the day). There are two levels, one in the forest, which looks gorgeous, and another level in some greyish area. People could play until they managed to beat the boss, which could take quite a number of tries.

There are also 8 booths with a playable demo of Ori and the Will of the Wisps at the Microsoft Game Pass corner. I have been able to play this one, almost with 100% completion. The level design is as nice as in the original, and the controls feel great once you get used to it. There are at least 6 abilities/weapons (a grappling hook, a sword, a bow, a bomb, a club, a healing stance, etc.), and you get to assign three of them with a radial menu to the face buttons of the controller. You also have the double jump, the dash, a button to grab. You can dash into mud walls, and move freely inside them, with an effect a bit like in Crash Bandicoot. The game is definitely on my wishlist for 2020.

WdlhAAl.png

1 gift from an anonymous user

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from an anonymous user!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Anonymous said:
Since I already own 11-11 Memories Retold, I figured I'd give the key away here in the hopes that someone else would like to play it.

• Steam Steam: 11-11 Memories Retold - Won by AHA-Lambda AHA-Lambda (1 entry)

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Oh my!
11-11 Memories Retold was on my wishlist, Evergarden was something I was curious about, Shenmue is on my partner's wishlist and SYNTHETIK looked cool enough to keep too.
Which means that every single game from this month's bundle was claimed by me and my partner. What a good month!
Next month is a hit too!

2 gifts from Dan Longman

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from Dan L Dan L!

This is a quick raffle that will expire in 6 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Dan L said:
Both great games that I already own. Enjoy!

• Steam Steam: 11-11 Memories Untold - Won by Arcsurvivor Arcsurvivor (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Yakuza Kiwami - Won by Jadax Jadax (12 entries)

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding seems pretty good or at least bad in an interesting way, so looking forward to playing that on PC eventually.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That Synthetik looks promising, and I see it has good reviews. I had no expectations for the bonus Humble games so that's not bad. Shenmue is quite the surprise too.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding seems pretty good or at least bad in an interesting way, so looking forward to playing that on PC eventually.

It sounds counter-intuitive, but the mundanity of the gameplay loop is a big plus for me.

I'm a big wanderlust guy in Bethesda sandbox rps. I love just setting off in a direction and taking in the world around me. Just being there, if that makes sense.

And when people say delivering packages in Stranding is boring busywork, I just think of my love for the Zen gameplay loops in Euro Truck Simulator 2. Being on the road and just chilling on down the highway.

I think the two sides, both pro and con, duking it out in the review thread are gd hilarious. But I honestly think I'm gonna love the game, and ironically Kojima is only a fraction of the reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.