• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Finished the 3rd Fate of Atlantis DLC, and with that Assassin's Creed Odyssey comes to an end. Until I new game plus it, that is. Really good DLC truth be told, the focus on the Isu and their drama was nice, though I wasn't expecting Juno to show up! That's blast from the past right there! Each of the three locations are in that sweet spot for size, large enough to still feel like an open world, but small enough that completing them actually feels doable. Decent enough challenge too, though I definitely felt like a glass cannon later on.

I also noted that they left the possibility of more adventures with Kassandra as a distinct possibility. She is immortal now after all, and her showing up on a longboat would be fun. Do it Ubisoft, you know you want to.
Uh, is Kassandra holding an orgy?

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Antichamber - @Parsnip

Antichamber is a first person puzzle game in a non-euclidean world that twists and turns as it twists and turns YOUR MIND.
Also, you get a weird gun.
Finish it, it's dope.
Finished it, not bad indeed, but can greatly benefit from Enhanced Edition or Director's Cut with improved controls (especially yellow block separating, ugh) and stability (bruteforcing some puzzles with TONS of red blocks can crash the game 😁). Add me to this list Uzzy !
18D9ECE0B6C506AA2AE35110C4975303FB1E62BA

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Holy shit is Alien Isolation long! I have read that it had some padding but damn, the game just keeps going! Still a solid af game but there is probably some content that could have been cut. Still not done though so we will see in the end how it all turns out lol.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Finished it, not bad indeed, but can greatly benefit from Enhanced Edition or Director's Cut with improved controls (especially yellow block separating, ugh) and stability (bruteforcing some puzzles with TONS of red blocks can crash the game 😁). Add me to this list Uzzy !
18D9ECE0B6C506AA2AE35110C4975303FB1E62BA

I've added you to the list, damn good stuff!

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
Finished the 3rd Fate of Atlantis DLC, and with that Assassin's Creed Odyssey comes to an end. Until I new game plus it, that is. Really good DLC truth be told,
Good to hear that the DLC is getting better. I just finished Legacy of the first Blade which wasn't all that great. It just felt way too similar to the main game and the lack of new locations just made it worse. At least it was quite short but I wish I wouldn't have bothered with all the Order/Cultists stuff because there was no payoff whatsoever.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I was actually a bit disappointed with the DLCs.

Legacy of First Blade had its obvious problems of course, not gonna rehash the old discussion about it. Darius was one of the better characters, but everything else about it was... well, stupid.

As for Atlantis... well, it had cool new locations at least, but it had many problems too.
- The fetch quest nonsense with the tombs and modern-day crap to even get started was pure padding. Hated it.

- I felt the writing was still really bad there too. A lot of the time it felt like nothing I was doing made any real sense. I wrote more details about my impression of the first chapter in the OT here.

- In the second chapter it felt even more "video game logic" than ever before. Like they weren't even trying to have logical reasons for Kassandra to be there doing stuff.
- Still in the second chapter, the character assassination of Brasidas was absolute garbage. Probably the worst writing in the entire game. I rarely get angry or frustrated at bad writing in video games, but this honestly pissed me off because of how terrible and nonsensical it was. Felt like it was written by David Cage, I swear.
- I'll admit, the Mordor look was kind of cool, but it also could have looked... better? It felt a bit washed out, which is odd for a game that's normally heavily saturated.

- Atlantis itself looks absolutely gorgeous (the annoying "we're in simulation" bars everywhere annoyed the shit out of me though, what were they thinking?), but it's kind of tedious to navigate at times, and I found most of the gameplay to be really boring. Maybe I was just kind of fed up with the game by then though.

So basically, I wouldn't say it was bad DLC exactly (despite my complaints), but it's still got the immense Ubisoft bloat, maybe more than ever, and I was just glad to be done. I played AC:O a year ago so there was a decent amount of time between the main game and DLC but even so, I felt like it overstays its welcome. Sadly, I don't expect Ubisoft to actually trim down the content in future installments, they seem to double down on the massive bloat every time. And yes I know I don't have to do all the side-quests, but here's the thing: sometimes the better content is tucked in side-quests (the coloured ! ones at least) and sometimes it's just garbage filler and there's no way to know which is which until you start them... so yeah I really wish they'd cut the bloat and focus on quality instead of quantity, but it probably won't happen.

1 gift from Santos

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Santos Santos!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Santos said:

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: My Time At Portia - Won by Zeeman Zeeman (29 entries)

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Everspace 2 is €2500 away from its KS goal with a day remaining so that should get over the line. It was looking kinda dicey for a bit.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Does anyone know of a cheap swivel VESA arm? base din the UK. The Amazon basic one looks good but cost £99.... my monitor only cost me £130 but this video is selling me:

The main reason for getting a swivel VESA mount is that I want to put the switch on the desk, right not if I put it on the desk it is not in a great place, ideally I want the switch dock to be under the monitor. a VESA mount the is not centre potion with just height adjustment might work I guess.

DjPEjet.jpg

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I just upgraded to an ultrawide monitor and this is my first time ever using a non-standard aspect ratio like 21:9. In games that don't natively support 21:9, are there tools or tricks available for me to force the game into a 16:9 aspect ratio with pillarboxes? The Outer Worlds is a perfect example of this, as even with mods the ultrawide support for that game is pretty subpar.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just upgraded to an ultrawide monitor and this is my first time ever using a non-standard aspect ratio like 21:9. In games that don't natively support 21:9, are there tools or tricks available for me to force the game into a 16:9 aspect ratio with pillarboxes? The Outer Worlds is a perfect example of this, as even with mods the ultrawide support for that game is pretty subpar.
How are you liking it so far? I love ultrawide. This is a good site below, also this channel, with his reviews playlist also linked.

I haven't come across any games that don't run in full screen correctly, even if with black pillars. Many games support it properly, some will do the gameplay right but either the UI stays in the center of the screen or has other issues. I've read of some modding tool and plugins for some games, though I haven't felt the need to go that far. Usually the site above or the Steam forums will mention a third party fix if it exists.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Elite v2 is damn nice, can finally get rid of this dongle sticking out the back of my PC.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
How are you liking it so far? I love ultrawide. This is a good site below, also this channel, with his reviews playlist also linked.

I haven't come across any games that don't run in full screen correctly, even if with black pillars. Many games support it properly, some will do the gameplay right but either the UI stays in the center of the screen or has other issues. I've read of some modding tool and plugins for some games, though I haven't felt the need to go that far. Usually the site above or the Steam forums will mention a third party fix if it exists.
Thanks for the resources! I'll dig into those later tonight. So far I'm absolutely loving the extra space. I got a PG35VQ from ASUS, so besides just being ultrawide, it's also HDR 1000 and high refresh-rate, so it's been an absolute treat to use. I'm still surprised at just how much of a difference the extra space makes. I knew it'd be noticeable in games, but I didn't think it'd be THIS noticeable.

I do still have a question though. I loaded up Destiny 2 to see what would happen if I lowered the resolution to 16:9 and when I did this the game just got stretched out, no black bars. Do I just have something unchecked in my Nvidia control panel? Or is that an unusual behavior for most games and maybe just an exception to how this whole thing is supposed to work.

1 gift from an anonymous user

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from an anonymous user!

This is a lightning raffle that will expire in 1 hour. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Anonymous said:
TRY YOUR LUCK AT THE CIRCUS OF VALUE

• Steam Steam: Mystery Movies - Won by Jadax Jadax (1 entry)

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks for the resources! I'll dig into those later tonight. So far I'm absolutely loving the extra space. I got a PG35VQ from ASUS, so besides just being ultrawide, it's also HDR 1000 and high refresh-rate, so it's been an absolute treat to use. I'm still surprised at just how much of a difference the extra space makes. I knew it'd be noticeable in games, but I didn't think it'd be THIS noticeable.

I do still have a question though. I loaded up Destiny 2 to see what would happen if I lowered the resolution to 16:9 and when I did this the game just got stretched out, no black bars. Do I just have something unchecked in my Nvidia control panel? Or is that an unusual behavior for most games and maybe just an exception to how this whole thing is supposed to work.
Yeah it's an enormous improvement having 33% more screen to look at. Games like the recent AC's are amazing.

I don't know about your Destiny 2 situation, and I've never seen anything like that. Mine is an AMD card, and I've never needed to touch any control panel stuff. Typically I tell the game it's 2560x1080 or if that's not supported then full screen mode with 1080p gives black bars. I checked the AMD control panel and there's a setting enabled to "preserve aspect ratio". Not sure if this is relevant to you. Maybe there's something similar in your Nvidia settings to play with.

You can find some nice ultrawide wallpapers here.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of a cheap swivel VESA arm? base din the UK. The Amazon basic one looks good but cost £99.... my monitor only cost me £130 but this video is selling me:

The main reason for getting a swivel VESA mount is that I want to put the switch on the desk, right not if I put it on the desk it is not in a great place, ideally I want the switch dock to be under the monitor. a VESA mount the is not centre potion with just height adjustment might work I guess.

DjPEjet.jpg

For my 27" and 23" monitors, I'm currently using two cheap gas powered monitor arms that seem to pop up all the time on Amazon (I'm not from UK but these look like mine). While I don't know how it compares to say, Ergotrons, they're generally fine in my case as I keep them in the same position most of the time. They're a little stiff while trying to articulate the arm, swivel/tilt is mostly fine and it didn't seem to sag once I set the tension correctly. There are other variants that have extra usb ports if it matters.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I believe you're looking for this.
5rnBUzy.png

'Aspect ratio' will make it so running non-native resolutions will give you black bars instead of stretching the image.

9 gifts from procerus

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 9 gifts from Deleted member 18515!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Deleted member 18515 said:
Some old Humble Bundle keys if anyone wants them.

• Steam Steam: Call of Duty: WWII - Won by Premium Ghoul Premium Ghoul (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Guacamelee! 2 - Won by dex3108 dex3108 (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Sniper Elite 3 - Won by Catshade Catshade (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Yakuza 0 - Won by Nacho Nacho (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - Won by Polyh3dron Polyh3dron (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Won by Vault (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Sniper Elite - Won by Mad Mad (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Sniper Elite V2 - Won by htp314 htp314 (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Resident Evil Revelations - Won by Santos Santos (1 entry)

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
For my 27" and 23" monitors, I'm currently using two cheap gas powered monitor arms that seem to pop up all the time on Amazon (I'm not from UK but these look like mine). While I don't know how it compares to say, Ergotrons, they're generally fine in my case as I keep them in the same position most of the time. They're a little stiff while trying to articulate the arm, swivel/tilt is mostly fine and it didn't seem to sag once I set the tension correctly. There are other variants that have extra usb ports if it matters.

This one looks pretty neat! Gonna check it out, thanks!

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 3 gifts from Chance Hale Chance Hale!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Chance Hale said:
Should be unredeemed, enjoy and such

• Steam Steam: Shenmue 1+2 - Won by Pixieking Pixieking (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - Won by Jadax Jadax (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Cultist Simulator - Won by Classy Tomato Classy Tomato (1 entry)

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
It happens occasionally (redeemed keys shown as unredeemed). You have to force-refresh the key page (ctrl-F5) to make sure the unredeemed keys are shown properly.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Yeah it's an enormous improvement having 33% more screen to look at. Games like the recent AC's are amazing.

I don't know about your Destiny 2 situation, and I've never seen anything like that. Mine is an AMD card, and I've never needed to touch any control panel stuff. Typically I tell the game it's 2560x1080 or if that's not supported then full screen mode with 1080p gives black bars. I checked the AMD control panel and there's a setting enabled to "preserve aspect ratio". Not sure if this is relevant to you. Maybe there's something similar in your Nvidia settings to play with.

You can find some nice ultrawide wallpapers here.

Thanks for all of your help! I've been looking for some good wallpapers, so that's a terrific resource for me.

I believe you're looking for this.
5rnBUzy.png

'Aspect ratio' will make it so running non-native resolutions will give you black bars instead of stretching the image.
I believe that was it! Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but my control panel had the "override the scaling mode set by games and programs" unchecked.

4 gifts from Eorl

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 4 gifts from Deleted member 27751!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Deleted member 27751 said:
Why can't we ever have games like this anymore... :(

• Steam Steam: Shenmue I & II - Won by fspm fspm (7 entries)
  • Steam Steam: SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising - Won by Arcsurvivor Arcsurvivor (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Evergarden - Won by Equirah Equirah (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: 11-11 Memories Retold - Won by BorntoPlay BorntoPlay (1 entry)

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Whelp I got CoD WWII, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro at least but I'll pause it now and wait to see what else comes. If I pause my sub and come December they are decent titles do I just unpause and get access to them?

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I recently finished Gears 4, now moving to Gears 5. It feels so good (and also weird) to play this on Steam.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Whelp I got CoD WWII, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro at least but I'll pause it now and wait to see what else comes. If I pause my sub and come December they are decent titles do I just unpause and get access to them?
hmmm? is this a post you meant to send 3 days ago?

the bundle with CoD/crash/spyro has already come and gone. it also included shenmue 1+2 and some other stuff.

the bundle now is the December one with soul cal 6, a yakuza game and my time in portia. if you bought a bundle today that is what you bought o.o; but yes if you want them you should be able to just unpause.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
Diablo 4 looks interesting, but the graphics lost some of their charm too me. Looks more like PoE now.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
What are good 4K monitors that people recommend?
Answering that question depends on a few factors, such as:

• What kind of video card do you use? Nvidia or AMD? Whether you want a GSYNC or FreeSync monitor will of course depend on this.
  • Is 4K/60 good enough for you, or do you want a 120/144Hz monitor for future-proofing?
  • Do you care about HDR?
  • And finally, most importantly, what's your budget like?

Status
Not open for further replies.