• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
So I finished We Know The Devil

Before I write some more thoughts down, I'd like to say that one of the things I absolutely love about PC Gaming is how open and accessible it is, not just for players but for developers too. We can get these fantastic, unique and new experiences from storytellers wanting to say something about their own experiences, experiences that I, as a white cis-straight dude will never have had. For me, it's one of the best and most vital things about gaming, not just having people who don't look like me being able to share their experiences with the world, but also being able to see these new experiences for myself.

We Know The Devil is a short queer visual novel, from Aevee Bee and Mia Schwartz, about three teens, self proclaimed/imposed 'bad people', having to fight off the devil at the end of a christian summer camp. They're all outsiders in a camp full of 'bad people', misfits and troublemakers. You have the meangirl Neptune, the tomboy Jupiter, and shy Venus, all stuck in a cabin in the woods and having to survive the night as the devil comes for one of them.

As a visual novel there's not a whole lot of gameplay, but the choices you make are vital regardless. Characters show up on screen and talk to each other, but every so often you have to choose which two go off to do something together, leaving the third isolated. Which is one of the strongest themes throughout the game, the connections forged between the two you choose, and the horrifying consequences for the one left alone. It's a group of kids isolated even amongst their 'friends', told they're 'bad', and isolating them even further and the devil's coming after one of them. The game is full of allegory, especially in the endings, jawdroppingly horrifying in their use of language and the transformative artwork. The music is discordant throughout, leaving you constantly on edge. And the art itself appeared simple at first glance, but I quickly warmed to it, each character coming to life through the subtly expressive designs.

It's a game about something. It's about what happens when you tell a bunch of kids they're bad for being who they are, and the devil's coming for them. It's about the bonds created to try to fit into the rules others impose on them and survive. And
it's about what happens when they defy those rules by sticking together against society, tearing that down and creating something new and better out of the ruins of the old

The writing is incredibly strong, with each of the three characters really standing out as their own unique voice. It's witty and sharp and concise enough that after finishing it I instantly replayed it to see the other endings. It's a beautiful, horrifying, wonderful work. I strongly recommend it, especially on a night such as this. I'll be sure to pick up the follow up/spiritual successor Heaven Will Be Mine.

I don't really have anything to add, but this is a good post. We Know the Devil is fantastic and more people need to play it. I read it during the summer and it has stuck with me really vividly. The writing is fantastic, and it's a great example of developers managing to do a whole lot with very little.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017

Hella ready for this. I'm ready to be emotionally destroyed once more.

200.gif

Woah Imogen Heap is a writer/producer, random.
Whoa, what?? And not even doing the music, weird.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Deltarune is my GOTY currently
I love the
for a 2D game fairly extensive character generation screen, asking you even details like favourite food
only for it to
completely disregard your choices, which ends becoming a major theme.
It's also fairly nice how
it begins with the initial menu from Undertale
but quickly
replaces it with a new and fresher one.

Incredible this is just put out there for free.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I love the
for a 2D game fairly extensive character generation screen, asking you even details like favourite food
only for it to
completely disregard your choices, which ends becoming a major theme.
It's also fairly nice how
it begins with the initial menu from Undertale
but quickly
replaces it with a new and fresher one.

Incredible this is just put out there for free.

It really is. I would've payed $5 bucks for this easily.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Bad Blood? I saw the daily player count is like 40 and that scared me off.

The player count didn't put me off with the knowledge that it goes f2p soon. I just wanted the founders content. As for gameplay it seems pretty good so far. It's had a balance pass recently so nothing feels op. We'll see how that goes. Worth the £24 I paid for bb and enhanced edition

OniluapL

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like two hours in Deltarune (so maybe close to the end) and yeah, I can't believe this is something just put for free like that. It's amazing, I'm constantly in disbelief that I'm actually playing a new Toby Fox thing, and that it already feels so complete and well-made. Also the details Mivey mentioned are really great, it really is an amazing start.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
The player count didn't put me off with the knowledge that it goes f2p soon. I just wanted the founders content. As for gameplay it seems pretty good so far. It's had a balance pass recently so nothing feels op. We'll see how that goes. Worth the £24 I paid for bb and enhanced edition
I had no clue it was ever going f2p. That's awesome!

Thanks!

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Damn man

Last boss in kof 97 is so damn cheap lol

Managed to get two of the 13 endings so far

Then again every boss in every kof and tekken is cheap >.>

Deleted member 1781

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I "finished" Yakuza 0 today, it's between quotation marks because in what I judge to be the last cg scene my pc was about to start hibernating and the game crashed. Searching about it and looks like the game doesn't prevents your pc from entering suspension/hibernating.

My last save wasm from 1 and half hour ago, I'm so mad right now.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I "finished" Yakuza 0 today, it's between quotation marks because in what I judge to be the last cg scene my pc was about to start hibernating and the game crashed. Searching about it and looks like the game doesn't prevents your pc from entering suspension/hibernating.

My last save wasm from 1 and half hour ago, I'm so mad right now.
Similar thing on my end. The one time I had the game crash was when I paused a cutscene and left the room for 15 minutes. When I came back the game had gone into windowed mode and was just a black screen.

The way saving works in Yakuza 0 is pretty frustrating when you compare it to just about any other modern game.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
both Monster Hunters.

aka World and Generations Ultimate. Its MonHun all day everyday for me apparently.

(I'm only like 15 years late to the party >_>)
I saw MHGU is on sale in the eshop, but I don't want to commit into any GaaS that may involve hundred of hours playtime lol

Maybe one day I will pick it up eventually...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I saw MHGU is on sale in the eshop, but I don't want to commit into any GaaS that may involve hundred of hours playtime lol

Maybe one day I will pick it up eventually...

yeah apparently this is quite longer (well... I mean, define "longer" in these games, it has a lot more content there) than World. Like Ive played 45 hours so far and im still in Low Rank 4 star quests lol >_>

Never in a million years over the years would I say I would be this into MonHun games tho, but after 200+ in World, here we are again. It's basically a imediate day 1 for me whatever comes next, its that type of franchise now.

Hopefully with less dinosaurs next time tho because, fuck dinosaurs. Stupid things.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
yeah apparently this is quite longer (well... I mean, define "longer" in these games, it has a lot more content there) than World. Like Ive played 45 hours so far and im still in Low Rank 4 star quests lol >_>

Never in a million years over the years would I say I would be this into MonHun games tho, but after 200+ in World, here we are again. It's basically a imediate day 1 for me whatever comes next, its that type of franchise now.

Hopefully with less dinosaurs next time tho because, fuck dinosaurs. Stupid things.

Its a collection of everything in the past...of course its longer xD

Status
Not open for further replies.