• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Book of Demons is on sale and I just got a coupon for 75% off, think I might bite. It looks good.

Edit: "This coupon cannot be used in conjunction with another discount." Well fuck you too :P

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
On topic of Bioshock - should I be playing the OG version or the remaster?
I got the original on release but couldn't get through it due to game breaking bugs. Gave up, bought it on 360, 100%ed it and never started the original PC version again. In my 10 hours in the Remaster I have found one bug, the quite well known sound bug. Found the fix on the Steam forums and it's been flawless since then. I have seen the comparison pics showing some less than stellar changes but that's nothing I think about while playing.
So in the end I have no idea which one is preferable since I don't know if they ever fixed all those bugs in the original, but the remaster is working very well for me.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Every few months I get the urge to built a little gaming PC for living room use but then I realize that the parts I'm picking out would probably end up over $1000 and I end up losing interest.

I really wish Steam's SteamOS/Steam Machines initiative had taken off.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Every few months I get the urge to built a little gaming PC for living room use but then I realize that the parts I'm picking out would probably end up over $1000 and I end up losing interest.

I really wish Steam's SteamOS/Steam Machines initiative had taken off.
Well....Cyber Monday/Black Friday is a month away. What specs would you want for a little gaming PC?
I have a ye olde GTX 970M laptop and I eventually would have it replace my PS4 as the gaming machine next to my HDTV, since it can run various multiplayer games quite well.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
What I would do to E N H A N C E Steam Achievements:

1) Session Achievement Summary: Give an option to make it so that Steam will show your achievement popups after you exit a game, with a popup window like the screenshot window showing a collection of the cheevs you got during that session, your already earned cheevs and cheev tracking for other ones. This could be in addition to your cheev popups during game or to take the place of them (so they don't show at inopportune times if you don't want them to).

2) The ability to turn off Achievement popups separate from all other popups. Hell, allow it on a per-game basis.

3) Customizable Achievement popups (noises and animations). Make it open sourced like Steam skins, but also work with developers to create promotional ones, marketable ones, or order bonuses or whatever. Allow users to apply different cheev popups based on rarity of achievement or achievement value (think like the different donation jingles/animations that Twitch streamers use).

4) Assign 1000 points to each game/application that divides the value of the points based on a normalization of the rarity of the achieved achievements. Gives people that Xbox-style race for points if people want to. Sure, Steam achievement unlocker breaks this, but achievements are ultimately worthless so who cares.

5) Create an API that developers can implement that allow users to create their own community achievements to challenge friends or Steam groups or whatever. It would just hook into different variables in the code and allow unlocking when conditionals are hit. Probably a bit too pie-in-the-sky, but it might be neat.
There should be a categorization system for achievements that devs assign. Each type with a corresponding value. For instance:

- Un-missables: Achievements for stuff any player will get in his playthrough (story stuff etc.). Lowest value.
- Grind : Kill X enemies with Y weapon; collect X% of whatever.
- Feats: Achievements for doing skilled stuff once.
- Online: for online play.

That way you can filter and slice up achievement data by type and shine a light of your truly capable players without fluff and meaningless 'achievements'.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Man, games really need to start including "always show an aim point on screen" as an accessibility option. I started feeling quesy while playing Gears 5 because it doesn't have a reticle on screen a lot of the time. Then I remembered my display has a feature to draw one on screen. Turned it on, no more issues playing the game. Something about the game's smooth movement and lack of a focus point made me feel ill.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

Thanks.....

According to this my SSD (the boot drive) is 87% healthy, and the HDD is just fine. But yesterday, after having lots of issues, one of them started to whir like a jet engine. I felt the case and felt the vibration coming from the location of these drives. I'm not 100% which one but like I said, the SSD is the boot drive and game location. HDD is just media files.

Hell, just tried to play Gears again, while lowering everything to low, and 10 seconds into the campaign shit starts locking up (during a tornado fight checkpoint).

Had to slowly quit out and my PC is still fucked up. Things are moving slowwwwwn and my mouse is super choppy.

A couple of days ago the game locked up and I got a error message saying the my 1080ti stopped responding.

Shit man, does this sound like a CPU issue to anyone?

Edit: PC just crashed on me. I know it's on, but there's no picture anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks.....

According to this my SSD (the boot drive) is 87% healthy, and the HDD is just fine. But yesterday, after having lots of issues, one of them started to whir like a jet engine. I felt the case and felt the vibration coming from the location of these drives. I'm not 100% which one but like I said, the SSD is the boot drive and game location. HDD is just media files.

Hell, just tried to play Gears again, while lowering everything to low, and 10 seconds into the campaign shit starts locking up (during a tornado fight checkpoint).

Had to slowly quit out and my PC is still fucked up. Things are moving slowwwwwn and my mouse is super choppy.

A couple of days ago the game locked up and I got a error message saying the my 1080ti stopped responding.

Shit man, does this sound like a CPU issue to anyone?

Edit: PC just crashed on me. I know it's on, but there's no picture anymore.
Does the PC keep running and you just have a black picture, like you disconnected your monitor?
If so, the same thing keeps happening to me too, tho thankfully only very rarely.

Same with the mouse moving super choppy, usually before it happens.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Well....Cyber Monday/Black Friday is a month away. What specs would you want for a little gaming PC?
I have a ye olde GTX 970M laptop and I eventually would have it replace my PS4 as the gaming machine next to my HDTV, since it can run various multiplayer games quite well.

I would probably build something a bit below midrange. I was dinking around with PCPartPicker but even something like this comes out to almost $700, and that doesn't include incidentals or Windows, so I'd probably be looking at $800 in the end, which is rough.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($49.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 500 GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450 W Power Supply ($141.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $680.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-10 17:44 EDT-0400

Ideally I wouldn't want to spend over $400/$500 but I feel like you're not going to get a whole lot of computer for that price, especially with a Windows license coming out to $100 alone.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Does the PC keep running and you just have a black picture, like you disconnected your monitor?
If so, the same thing keeps happening to me too, tho thankfully only very rarely.

Same with the mouse moving super choppy, usually before it happens.

More or less what's happening yah.

I decided to run the Gears 5 benchmark and see if that fucks my PC up and it doesn't!

Could it be that that specific checkpoint fucks my PC up somehow?

The benchmark runs smooth 4k/60fps.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the remasters but I know a lot of people prefer the look of the originals. They changed shaders a bit and the remasters lose a bit of atmosphere (subjectively)

Either one will be fine though so you could do some A/B screenshot comparisons and figure what you like better. as far as content and gameplay they are pretty much identical.
I got the original on release but couldn't get through it due to game breaking bugs. Gave up, bought it on 360, 100%ed it and never started the original PC version again. In my 10 hours in the Remaster I have found one bug, the quite well known sound bug. Found the fix on the Steam forums and it's been flawless since then. I have seen the comparison pics showing some less than stellar changes but that's nothing I think about while playing.
So in the end I have no idea which one is preferable since I don't know if they ever fixed all those bugs in the original, but the remaster is working very well for me.

Thanks, this is super useful!

IAchilleasI

Oct 27, 2017
Book of Demons is on sale and I just got a coupon for 75% off, think I might bite. It looks good.

Edit: "This coupon cannot be used in conjunction with another discount." Well fuck you too :P

It's worth getting, if you can still use the coupon after the current discount expires.

The papier mache art style is gorgeous, the combat system is decent, although it takes some getting used to. It may look like a cartoony Diablo, but it plays very differently, almost like it's half free roam, half on-rails.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures with MSI Afterburner. This way, you could compare the values if issues appear again (which should happen imo).

I've gotta get back there. Was almost at the end.

Weird thing was that I was playing that area trying to get through the CP just fine. Quit for the day, came back the next day and that's when the problem started. Let's see. I'm going to push through today and see what happens.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Story of Seasons gonna bomb so hard on Steam with that price.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My new monitor delivered! Now I have to wait until work ends to set it up.

Excited to finally see what >60fps and Gsync looks like!

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks, this is super useful!

One thing not noted, and to me the biggest issue with the Remasters, is that they have weird audio mixing on the audiologs with the rest of gameplay.

To me, the original versions with the 60fps mod for the physics is probably the best way to go but ymmv.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
aMxVbZO.jpg

Storm's here, shaka brah. Last day of Life is Strange, oh man.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Man, games really need to start including "always show an aim point on screen" as an accessibility option. I started feeling quesy while playing Gears 5 because it doesn't have a reticle on screen a lot of the time. Then I remembered my display has a feature to draw one on screen. Turned it on, no more issues playing the game. Something about the game's smooth movement and lack of a focus point made me feel ill.
It's interesting how impactful that can be. I know a significant amount of people got motion sickness playing The Witness because it had no reticle at launch as well as slow turn radius and low FOV on consoles. You wouldn't think that a super calming puzzle game with zero action or fast movement would be one to do that taken at face value.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's interesting how impactful that can be. I know a significant amount of people got motion sickness playing The Witness because it had no reticle at launch as well as slow turn radius and low FOV on consoles. You wouldn't think that a super calming puzzle game with zero action or fast movement would be one to do that taken at face value.
The Witness was made by a small dev team who apparently weren't even aware of the issue. They patched it promptly. Not sure if that fixed it for everyone but complaints seemed to drop. With Gears, the lack of aiming reticle when not ADS is a deliberate design choice from the start of the series, I'm guessing because the game would be too easy otherwise.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

Weird thing was that I was playing that area trying to get through the CP just fine. Quit for the day, came back the next day and that's when the problem started. Let's see. I'm going to push through today and see what happens.

So I blasted through that part no problem. Played another hour, beat the Kraken boss, no problem.

Seems like something about that cp was locking up my system.

So, fingers crossed, seems like it's ok now. Whew

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The Witness was made by a small dev team who apparently weren't even aware of the issue. They patched it promptly. Not sure if that fixed it for everyone but complaints seemed to drop. With Gears, the lack of aiming reticle when not ADS is a deliberate design choice from the start of the series, I'm guessing because the game would be too easy otherwise.
I know all of this, I was just commenting on how wild it is that a simple dot or circle on the screen can make all the difference for motion sickness prone players, regardless of the type of game. Without question I think it should be an option in any game that's applicable.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

Hey if it happens again try Win+Ctrl+Shift+B, shortcut restarts the graphics driver.

Also which area was it? I had weird performance issues in the factory area with the moving platforms.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pine and Doraemon among the top sellers, but where are the discussions? :(

WbR34QE.png

Seems like it's just kind of a slow day / time, I saw Valfaris very briefly in the top 10 and now it's down to the 30s. I'd bet a few of those will sink like a rock after today

Though it does just generally speak to some of the lack of discussion here. Pine, We Were Here Together, Dorameon, Mistover, Raido Commander, Pummel Party, all in the top 20ish, no real traction here. I've personally just heard of Radio and Pummel Party today.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Seems like it's just kind of a slow day / time, I saw Valfaris very briefly in the top 10 and now it's down to the 30s. I'd bet a few of those will sink like a rock after today

Though it does just generally speak to some of the lack of discussion here. Pine, We Were Here Together, Dorameon, Mistover, Raido Commander, Pummel Party, all in the top 20ish, no real traction here. I've personally just heard of Radio and Pummel Party today.
Yeah, I tried to promote Pine with a thread outside, but it's pretty much dead already. Steam reviews are very positive (85%) so far.

Meanwhile, you'd get a huge thread whenever Kojima says something on Twitter or some smallest glimmer hope of rumor about a new Smash character. Sometimes I'm just totally disappointed with this community.

"Please think of the indie devs~!"

Last edited:

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I thought about making a thread for this but figured I'd ask here first.

Those space requeriments for RDR2 got me shook, so I started looking for an SSD for my laptop. No fancy NVMe for me, just regular old 2.5" SATA. My main candidates are the Samsung 860 EVO 2TB and Crucial MX500 2TB. There's quite a price disparity between them, so I wanted to ask for your advice.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Hello everyone. I thought about making a thread for this but figured I'd ask here first.

Those space requeriments for RDR2 got me shook, so I started looking for an SSD for my laptop. No fancy NVMe for me, just regular old 2.5" SATA. My main candidates are the Samsung 860 EVO 2TB and Crucial MX500 2TB. There's quite a price disparity between them, so I wanted to ask for your advice.

If you can afford go with Samsung. It is more durable with better components as far as I know. If you are tight with money in general any SSD will be fine for games and other non important work just occasionally check SSD health.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Gave Pine a quick look. The framerate is all over the place. Can be anywhere from 40 to 120 on my 1070. The game seems interesting. I hope they optimize it a little bit.

Kiru

Oct 25, 2017
I had to scroll and manually add the two free DLC. They were not automatically added to the account with the free game.

NbJfQIv.png

SJ4gu7E.png
Did the same. I guess it's a new "feature" to buy DLC on the store. The Batman games had it included because separate DLC listings were missing back then.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I had to scroll and manually add the two free DLC. They were not automatically added to the account with the free game.

NbJfQIv.png

SJ4gu7E.png
Oh thanks for the heads up.
Did the same. I guess it's a new "feature" to buy DLC on the store. The Batman games had it included because separate DLC listings were missing back then.
It should be noted that free DLC works (or, can work) the same on Steam. You need to claim it on its store page to attach it to your account.

You see it a lot with Total War: Warhammer 1 & 2, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.