• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
Does that mean that you must stay forever subscribed to keep the old Humble monthly subscription model or that if you subscribe before they reveal the games each month you get to keep them all and you don't have to choose?

It sure sounds like it is the former but the latter would make more sense to me.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean that you must stay forever subscribed to keep the old Humble monthly subscription model or that if you subscribe before they reveal the games each month you get to keep them all and you don't have to choose?

It sure sounds like it is the former but the latter would make more sense to me.
It's the former. Looks like each month there will be a list of 10+ games to choose from. If you're grandfathered in with humble monthly, you get 10 games. Otherwise, you have to pay $20 to get 9 games or pay less for less games.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Judgement (i have still to play Aftermath chapter) and i didn't like it at all. Enemies were bullet sponges, they push too many enemies at you, they spawn enemies that don't fit environment (those things with riders have no place inside of buildings), horde sections at the end of every chapter were the worst (Overlook one at Downtown Halvo Bay chapter was the worst one for me), lack of story, even though you play as different characters they play the same...

This game was obviously meant to be played in coop and it was made for those who liked horde mode. Also game added nothing to the story or lore. I really didn't like it.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

per the FAQ, you can still pause your subscription and keep the Classic plan, but if you cancel outright, you lose the Classic plan forever. it's only for people grandfathered in from the current Humble Monthly

anyway, I'll stick with the Classic as long as the selection is good. a 25%/month price increase over Classic just to get three games a month is steep even if you get to choose them

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Classic - all 10 games
Premium - i can choose 9 out of 10 games
Basic - i can choose 3 out of 10 games
Lite - i can choose 0 out of 0 games

Correct?

Last edited:

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It won't be possible to just "pause" right into the classic plan, right? I have to be a paying member of the monthly to come into the classic pool?

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
You can only pause for 1 month at a time though. Sorry for the mistake, i misunderstood the terms.

That doesn't sound good, i'm guessing the classic model wasn't that profitable but this sounds a lot worse given the price increase for less games, i will surely buy a lot less monthly subscriptions than i buy now.

Basically

Last edited:

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
per the FAQ, you can still pause your subscription and keep the Classic plan, but if you cancel outright, you lose the Classic plan forever. it's only for people grandfathered in from the current Humble Monthly

Everyone is using the "grandfather" word as a verb now. Is that a new trend? Or am I suddenly in a parallel universe?

It looks like my new timeline has "Humble Monthly" renamed to "Humble Choice", and, paradoxically, grandfathers get a better deal but lose their choice to cancel. What a strange timeline.

Edit: It is simply a price increase, obfuscated in weird lingo.

Current subscribers: nothing changes, but you lose your status if you cancel once.
New subscribers: $20/month instead of $12/month. That is a 66% price increase.

bKjV3Z0.png

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is using the "grandfather" word as a verb now. Is that a new trend? Or am I suddenly in a parallel universe?

It looks like my new timeline has "Humble Monthly" renamed to "Humble Choice", and, paradoxically, grandfathers get a better deal but lose their choice to cancel. What a strange timeline.
Its been a word for years:

A ton of use in legal stuff and regulations were older stuff does not need to apply to the law.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Trovers: $5/month to get access to the Trove catalog.
Choosers: pay $15/month (25% price increase), and get to keep 3 games of your choice (~70% content decrease). I would call it a scam.

The biggest piece of news is the subscription model for the Trove catalog. Cheaper than PC Game Pass once the beta period ends.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've heard grandfather in use in a legal/contract sense for a long time. Like when they started banning cigarettes in restaurants in NY, some places were grandfathered in to still allow smoking because of certain old zoning laws.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Classic - all 10 games
Premium - i can choose 9 out of 10 games
Basic - i can choose 3 out of 10 games
Lite - i can choose 0 out of 0 games

Correct?
yes
sdf2eoh.png

and now I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't just on the last year long deal with $25 back, but I'm set until like feb or march of next year and that was like 5 months ago lol.

Oh well I will likely stay subbed in general so I can give away the keys I don't want or sell them to cover months I don't care about anything.

C4rter

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You can only pause for 1 month at a time though.

Do you mean in the current Monthly or in the new Choice? Or in general?
Because, as a regular customer (not a yearly plan) I can pause every month.
It doesn't make much sense to do so, but from time to time they offered me 3$ discount to pause instead of cancel.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Is thread just about games or is general gaming related content also good to go? GamersNexus made interesting benching on how HW company app (e.g. iCUE or Logitech's software) impact gaming performance. For e.g. in their bench worst case load of bloatware shaved 11% from GTAV's performance.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Edit: It is simply a price increase, obfuscated in weird lingo.

Current subscribers: nothing changes, but you lose your status if you cancel once.
New subscribers: $20/month instead of $12/month. That is a 66% price increase.

beaten to explaining the "grandfathered" part, but it isn't just a price increase. as long as the selection is good, ten games a month you can choose is a better value than the current plan of eight games a month you can't

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I only see recommendations from Chinese users XD
All the reviews in my recommendations are in Japanese. I am confused.

Also, this new humble sounds like a scam alright. Thankfully I'm grandfathered in but if the quality of the games don't vastly improve then $15 for 3 games is insane.
Weird, it should only show games from your primary and secondary languages. Edit: at least the steam lab worked that way unless told otherwise.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Classic isn't all 10 games. It's choice of 10 from X.
We will have to see. It's 10 picks, and we don't know what X is. X could be 10, it could be 50.
The second major question that will need to be answered is if the picks need to be unique. If a bundle next year say has Cyberpunk and then 49 other games on the level of bad rats can I just pick cyberpunk 10 times (note: it's unlikely cyberpunk will be in a bundle like this next year it's just an example another example would be a multiplayer title such as monster hunter world... can I get that multiple times over to play with friends) I'm guessing you have to choose different games with each pick.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Copying from the other thread:
Would it be smart subbing now for the Classic plan, pause the sub every second month so you pay half the price for the whole year and get all the games of the months your sub is active? You'll 'just' need to be lucky that the months you're skipping won't have something you really wanted.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Copying from the other thread:
The page says there won't be any hidden games anymore. If you want games from a month you just don't pause?

or if you are just referring for now. well they already said that they are planning on getting choice out in 2019. (but it may slip to 2020) which in my mind puts it a pretty firm dec 2019 tentative launch right now which I suppose we will find out next month if that's the case.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
Do you mean in the current Monthly or in the new Choice? Or in general?
Because, as a regular customer (not a yearly plan) I can pause every month.
It doesn't make much sense to do so, but from time to time they offered me 3$ discount to pause instead of cancel.

Sorry, i misunderstood what they meant here.

"NOTE: Pausing lasts for 1 month at a time. After that month has been skipped, you will be resubscribed and set to receive the next monthly subscription."

I guess they mean you have to keep choosing the pause option each month then.
For clarity you can pause as much as you want, you just have to remember to pause each month

"Q: Can I skip multiple months?

Yes, you may skip as many months as you'd like, however please note that this will affect your membership benefits and you will need to continuously pause after every skipped month! Once a month has been successfully skipped, go back to your Settings page and pause again. "

Last edited:

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Glad I have been a sub for a long time and get the same price, being able to see the games will be great.

But it feels slimy to me with the price increase and reduction off games for new subs. and locking you into staying a sub. you can pause but really thats not the same thing.

Hopefully means more quality games and less bundleware. but I doubt that.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
So as someone who doesn't subscribe to monthly, would it be worth picking up the month before this goes live and then pausing month to month?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Attempting to permanently lock in subscriptions now on the threat of penalty or missing out is a classic sign IGN want to sell in the near future.
Really it's just something with subs that seem to be getting fairly common to keep people subbed instead of picking and choosing months.

Both my Funimation and Hidive subs increased price recently and both of them also have a grandfather clause that as long as I stay subbed I get to keep my old rate. Hidive was merely that, Funimation was like humble where I basically get access to the new better plan at the old rate (though humble gives you 1 extra game over the new plan :P)

So as someone who doesn't subscribe to monthly, would it be worth picking up the month before this goes live and then pausing month to month?

It's impossible to say. Shortly after this change happens the quality of the games could go down, or even if it remains the same it's typically only 3 great games and a bunch of okay games per bundle at best.

Granted people said the quality would go down a ton when IGN took over, and I haven't noticed a significant difference, and heck this month is one of the better ones with spyro included so early into its life.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This Humble thing is so confusing. First time I really paid attention to it was with this months fantastic deal of Crash + Spyro + CoD for $12, which I'm still inclined to pay for. The page says 13 days left. I've no interest in a lootbox of games though. I'd rather just see a good deal and pay for it. I still hadn't worked out exactly when I get billed for the next month relative to when the next months games are announced, or if there were any penalties to pausing other than no Trove access, but I thought those were permanent anyway if you install them while you have access, and now it's changing, and there's talk of grandfathering. I guess I'll pay the $12 for these games, put it on hold immediately, and see what's up next month.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
This Humble thing is so confusing. First time I really paid attention to it was with this months fantastic deal of Crash + Spyro + CoD for $12, which I'm still inclined to pay for. The page says 13 days left. I've no interest in a lootbox of games though. I'd rather just see a good deal and pay for it. I still hadn't worked out exactly when I get billed for the next month relative to when the next months games are announced, or if there were any penalties to pausing other than no Trove access, but I thought those were permanent anyway if you install them while you have access, and now it's changing, and there's talk of grandfathering. I guess I'll pay the $12 for these games, put it on hold immediately, and see what's up next month.

If you pause directly after the October games, then you wont get the November games.

You usually get billed one Friday before the next bundle (which arrives first friday of the month) IIRC.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Attempting to permanently lock in subscriptions now on the threat of penalty or missing out is a classic sign IGN want to sell in the near future.

I agree.

There is one good piece of news though: Group Buys will be where all the traders go, with their $12/month plan, and making a profit by selling individual games as though they got them from a $20/month plan. So, there will be a ton of cheap games for the rest of us who like to choose without having a knife under our throat. Individual games will be $2 instead of $1, but the supply will be gigantic.

claytonlee101

Oct 27, 2017
So it would seem with all the monthly games revealed, it would basically be a more 'premium' weekly bundle. Instead of changing this whole Choices thingy, just up the quality of tier 3 in the weeklies to get people more likely to buy them all right? I dunno

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
If you pause directly after the October games, then you wont get the November games.

You usually get billed one Friday before the next bundle (which arrives first friday of the month) IIRC.
So you get billed before you see what the next games are, aka a lootbox, but if you pause then there's no penalty other than small discounts on other bundles, and Trove access which might be irrelevant? Aside from the inconvenience of pausing/unpausing, it seems like that's the smart play?

Status
Not open for further replies.