• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
This Humble thing is so confusing. First time I really paid attention to it was with this months fantastic deal of Crash + Spyro + CoD for $12, which I'm still inclined to pay for. The page says 13 days left. I've no interest in a lootbox of games though. I'd rather just see a good deal and pay for it. I still hadn't worked out exactly when I get billed for the next month relative to when the next months games are announced, or if there were any penalties to pausing other than no Trove access, but I thought those were permanent anyway if you install them while you have access, and now it's changing, and there's talk of grandfathering. I guess I'll pay the $12 for these games, put it on hold immediately, and see what's up next month.
If you buy the "November bundle" (releasing November 1st) inside these 13 days you will receive the three games you see immediately plus the hidden games on Nov 1st. It will then keep you "subbed" but not charge you for a month (next automatic payment after the November bundle is released is the last week of November). This makes it possible for you to decide to either unsub or pause if you don't want the next bundle and they will not charge you anything extra from what you paid for Spyro + Crash + CoD + extras. You can also choose to pay the next month early if there is something in there you wanna play immediately.

And yeah pausing means you lose the sub benefits too like Trove and discount. But Trove is indeed a bunch of DRM-free games so you can download everything in there. You're just not getting the new ones until you pay again.

So you get billed before you see what the next games are, aka a lootbox, but if you pause then there's no penalty other than small discounts on other bundles, and Trove access which might be irrelevant? Aside from the inconvenience of pausing/unpausing, it seems like that's the smart play?
And yes you pay before you see 5-6 of the games. Basically you try to figure out if you wanna gamble based on the revealed games. Are they good enough by themselves and the hidden games are just a bonus, or would you be disappointed with the bundle if the hidden games are not to your liking? But that element completely goes away with the change to Humble Choice. Then you can see all the games and make an informed decision about whether to pay or pause.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you get billed before you see what the next games are, aka a lootbox, but if you pause then there's no penalty other than small discounts on other bundles, and Trove access which might be irrelevant? Aside from the inconvenience of pausing/unpausing, it seems like that's the smart play?
You would know the headliner games before you would be charged and have several weeks to decide if you wanted to keep the bundle. That is for how it is now.

So for November's games, November 1st is when we would know the headliner games. Then you would have until November 29th to decide to pause or keep the month. Then December 6th, November's month will end and hidden games will be revealed and December's headliner games also shown.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If you pause directly after the October games, then you wont get the November games.

You usually get billed one Friday before the next bundle (which arrives first friday of the month) IIRC.
>.>
Except the October games have long passed and spyro and what not is the November games :P
kZGSO7Y.png

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Spyware domthybomb Thank you both. You've laid out where my main source of confusion was. I thought it was like most other services, where you pay in advance for the month ahead. Instead it seems you pay at the end of the month if you choose to collect the bundle which was announced a few weeks earlier.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just very confused with how the Humble Monthly works in general, honestly.

Because, okay. What confuses me is that I subscribed for the first time for Spyro and Crash on October 5th, right?

But according to both my receipt from that and my Humble Monthly subscriber hub, my next billing date is supposed to be November 29th.

But there's no way that's actually correct, right? Because that would be after the next Monthly is revealed and would mean that I could get two months worth of games for one month's price, right?

Or would I just not be able to get access to them until it bills me? How's any of that work? Is it just showing me the wrong date and it must mean October 29th as next billing date, or what's going on there, because that's definitely confusing to me and what I'll do with it with these changes very likely depends in part on the answer.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I'm just very confused with how the Humble Monthly works in general, honestly.

Because, okay. What confuses me is that I subscribed for the first time for Spyro and Crash on October 5th, right?

But according to both my receipt from that and my Humble Monthly subscriber hub, my next billing date is supposed to be November 29th.

But there's no way that's actually correct, right? Because that would be after the next Monthly is revealed and would mean that I could get two months worth of games for one month's price, right?

Or would I just not be able to get access to them until it bills me? How's any of that work? Is it just showing me the wrong date and it must mean October 29th as next billing date, or what's going on there, because that's definitely confusing to me and what I'll do with it with these changes very likely depends in part on the answer.
Yeah you don't get access to the games until you pay. You paid for the November bundle and have access to the first games from that, and the rest will automatically be added to your account on Nov 1st.
Then you can see some of December's bundle games and choose to either pause, cancel, wait until automatic billing or choose to pay early and get access to the first games right then and there. So your next automatic billing date is indeed Nov 29th.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you don't get access to the games until you pay. You paid for the November bundle and have access to the first games from that, and the rest will automatically be added to your account on Nov 1st.
Then you can see some of December's bundle games and choose to either pause, cancel, wait until automatic billing or choose to pay early and get access to the first games right then and there. So your next automatic billing date is indeed Nov 29th.
Ah, okay, yeah, I'm getting it now. Thank you! ^^

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting Sega have not announced the new Yakuza game for PC yet. Im sure it is coming but I rather not be prematurely getting hyped for something unless it gets a solid announcement.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
World War Z studio Saber Interactive has acquired Portuguese developer Bigmoon Entertainment, rebranding it as Saber Porto.

Based in Porto, Portugual, Bigmoon Entertainment has released titles over the years such as Dakar 18, Demons Age, Syndrome, and Police Simulator: Patrol Duty. As a part of Saber Interactive, it will work on two new, as-yet-unannounced projects for consoles and PC.

Additionally, Saber Interactive has announced that World War Z has now sold three million units.

claytonlee101

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a question: If Catherine Classic was the only headliner for a monthly, would people opt to subbing for it? I would probably say yes yet I (and probably others) balk at the non-interesting other games since it's all revealed already, even though they would normally be hidden. Funny how psychology works.

Equirah

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to buy the yearlong monthly or as long as you subscribe for a month you'll be able to resubscribe later at the "classic" price by skipping through the months?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

It sold "almost" 2 million first month. Then only ~1 million after that in 5 months. That's quite steep drop.

Do you have to buy the yearlong monthly or as long as you subscribe for a month you'll be able to resubscribe later at the "classic" price by skipping through the months?

You just need active subscription, as in as long as you don't press cancel button.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wow, they really fucked that up. I hope at least that means the quality of games will go up, it doesn't make sense otherwise.
Guess I will have to subscribe for a year on Humble, I planned to do it eventually, but I wasn't expected to do it so soon.
When will the new system take place?
EDIT: Oh, I just saw it says later this year, well, that isn't very specific.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a question: If Catherine Classic was the only headliner for a monthly, would people opt to subbing for it? I would probably say yes yet I (and probably others) balk at the non-interesting other games since it's all revealed already, even though they would normally be hidden. Funny how psychology works.
I'm always subbed to humble monthly :P
So uh, it wouldn't change my habits.

Wow, they really fucked that up. I hope at least that means the quality of games will go up, it doesn't make sense otherwise.
Guess I will have to subscribe for a year on Humble, I planned to do it eventually, but I wasn't expected to do it so soon.
When will the new system take place?
EDIT: Oh, I just saw it says later this year, well, that isn't very specific.

they are aiming for later this year, which leaves... well December as the November bundle is currently live lol. (aka we will know if it goes live this year the first friday of November)

they didn't confirm 100% it will be this year.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Looking at it from a positive POV, we will get 10 games for $12 each month, which means each game will cost us $1.20. Reselling any games you aren't interested in will be big, since you can turn a profit easily.
The amount of disappointment in YouTube comments and the like/dislike ratio is telling, though.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at it from a positive POV, we will get 10 games for $12 each month, which means each game will cost us $1.20. Reselling any games you aren't interested in will be big, since you can turn a profit easily.
The amount of disappointment in YouTube comments and the like/dislike ratio is telling, though.
at the core it's a price increase, and I've yet to meet a price increase that people will meet with a positive ratio :P

claytonlee101

Oct 27, 2017
It would be great if they up the amount of games to 10+ per month and at the same time putting in bigger names to attract more people due to the price increase. By doing that, there would be no reason to buy anything day 1 since Humble would need good headliners.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
from the humble choice thread

it will be a pool of 10 games with some months maybe having more.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Whats the battery like on a steam controller? And is it worth the purchase?
It uses batteries, but it lasts for a long time. If you use rechargeable batteries, be aware that for some stupid reason the controller design makes them get stuck and they are nearly impossible to get out, I have a small piece of cloth sewn around the batteries so I can pull them easily. It's because the rechargeable batteries are wider than the normal ones or something like that.
I like it, but the lack of a right stick is really annoying and it's the reason I don't use it more.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Whats the battery like on a steam controller? And is it worth the purchase?

I like it though I can't use it for every game. Third-Person games are unplayable on it for me because I can't for the life of me get a hang on the camera controls. But works pretty well for isometric games and first person games. I like to play "walking simulators" with it. Back-paddles are neat, too. Bumpers could be better though.
Battery should be similar to the Xbox One Controller from my experience. Put some Eneloops in there and you should be fine.

I'd say go for it though maybe look for a way to buy it outside of Steam. Like every other controller it isn't worth the full price and buying it on Steam adds quite a bit of shipping costs.

luxarific

Jan 14, 2018
Does anyone know when The Outer Wilds will be downloadable on PC for Gamepass subscribers? It's not listed in the Windows online store for some reason.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The Xbox app says Oct 25th 01:00 CEST for The Outer Worlds. (and for people who do not want to convert that by googling it, it's 00:45 CEST as I write this)

I would very much like to get Outer Wilds tho and no that is not on PC Game Pass.

luxarific

Jan 14, 2018
Has there ever been a pair of games that get their names as mixed as these two?

I did mean Outer Worlds, sorry about that. Found it on the Xbox Gamepass Beta App, and downloaded the 10 mbps placeholder to my PC. So weird that it's not promoted anywhere in the Windows store that I could find. Really hope there's a preload.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
they are aiming for later this year, which leaves... well December as the November bundle is currently live lol. (aka we will know if it goes live this year the first friday of November)

they didn't confirm 100% it will be this year.

The January bundle is still this year (first Friday in December).

They really need to change their naming scheme as the bundles are currently named after the month when the full bundle is revealed.
But when everything is revealed upfront it seems kind of weird to do that.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Since we don't seem to have an active Kerbal Space Program OT thread going these days I will ask here...

I like playing the game but I have zero imagination so just playing is sandbox mode is kinda boring for me.

I really fucking love the idea of a campaign with tech tree, part unlock, missions etc etc but I really don't like the science spam system used to progress right now (btw, I really wish they change all that in the sequel)...

Anybody knows if there's a way to play the game with missions and stuff but without having to spam experiements everywhere to get science?

Status
Not open for further replies.