• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Ksdwm2O.png

98tT02E.png

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep
- Arkanius

Return to the moon in Destiny 2: Shadowkeep or enter the dark age of the Sol System for the first time with Destiny 2: New Light. The MMOFPS (classified by Bungie) comes to Steam with the free-to-play version that gives you the full experience of the first year of Destiny 2 including the Leviathan Raid, the Strikes, Crucible and all the patrol spaces (including the brand new Luna).

What does the MMOFPS mean? Destiny 2 at its essence, is an online shared space first person shooter with random rolled weapons and armor, where every Guardian (you the player) teams up with other Guardians to participate in:
  • Story missions (solo or cooperatively)
  • Vanguard strikes (3 player matchmade activity to beat special coop missions)
  • Player-vs-Player arenas (Crucible with 3vs3 or 4vs4, or 6vs6)
  • Player-vs-Environment-vs-Player (Gambit, 4vs4)
  • Matchmade special activities (Menagerie, Black Armory Forges, The Reckoning)
  • Raids (Pinnacle 6 player activity where Guardians try to beat a long dungeon with multiple encounters and puzzles)
  • Special quests to earn Exotic (yellow) weapons (solo or cooperatively)
  • Patrol activities (up to 9 players Like the Blind Well or Escalation Protocol)
  • And much more!
Join the PC Discords to experience the raid by teaming up with guardians and Sherpas at DestinyERA Discord (PM Ruthless) or the D2 PC LFG Discord

NeoCab
- Uzzy

NeoCab, from Chance Agency, is a narrative driven adventure game, which sees you play as Lina, the last human driver-for-hire on the streets of Los Ojos. Find your missing friend, meet people, learn their stories, and stay human in a profession conquered by automation.

The neon lights reflecting off rain slick streets, the dehumanisation of the gig economy, the obsolescence of the human in an automated world, all weighty subjects, but you're too busy just trying to stay alive to consider them. NeoCab looks very intriguing, with vignettes of character stories interspersing the overarching narrative. It's also a hell of a looker, though you know I'm down for anything remotely cyberpunk looking.

The Outer Worlds - texhnolyze

Developed by the veterans of RPGs, Obsidian, The Outer Worlds is being touted as the spiritual successor of New Vegas. Which means, there are indeed lots of similarities here, from how the dialogue is displayed in face to face as well as skill checks, shooters combat with a VATS-like system, multiple ways to tackle and complete quests, multiple factions to befriend with or the opposite, no essential NPCs as in you can basically kill everyone, and many other similarities. There are several companions that'll join your journey and you can customize their skills, inventory, and behavior; however, there's no romance here. One of the major differences is that The Outer Worlds is not an open world game. and you'll explore big, open areas to another instead. As Bethesda failed to deliver a satisfying role playing mechanics in Fallout 4 and went with a gaas Fallout 76 years later, The Outer Worlds is such an oasis for fans of this kind of RPGs in today's climate.

Pine
- Mentalist

Pine is releasing on October 10th (my birthday!) It's a BOTW-inspired action-adventure/RPG in a world where anthropomorphic animals are higher up the food chain than humans, and you play as a human to try to carve out a niche in this ecosystem where various species are trying to figure out who's in charge and who's gonna be lunch. Looks pretty cool.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
- Uzzy

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint, developed by Ubisoft Paris, is the latest in the long running franchise, and sees the eponymous Ghosts deployed to the South Pacific archipelago Auroa after a nearby US Navy cargo ship is sunk. However, following a disastrous initial landing, Nomad and the rest of the remaining Ghosts must uncover the conspiracy surrounding the island's owner Skell Tech and the PMC hunting them, led by the former Ghost Walker (Jon Bernthal)

So I played the open beta and was left with the very distinct impression of Odyssey with guns. Lots of guns. Which is no bad thing to be fair, given how much I loved Odyssey. It features the same mix of looting and combat you find in a lot of Ubisoft games, with forts full of enemies that you scout out with your drone and can then take on in a variety of ways, stealthily on your own, or with a full squad bringing some heavy weapons to bare. The AI was shockingly brain dead though, which is a worry especially so close to release.

Disco Elysium
- Aaron D.

A surreal, noir detective thriller with a revolutionary character trait system, Disco Elysium has sleeper hit written all over it. Develop your character with unique personality traits, all acting in concert together as actual NPCs inside your head. Each with unique desires and needs that will direct the player's actions & outcomes, often with unexpected, hilarious results. An ambitious CRPG that looks to take nuanced player agency to new heights.

Afterparty
- Uzzy

Afterparty, from Night School Studio, is a narrative driven adventure game, which sees you play as Milo and Lola, two deceased best buds who suddenly find themselves staring down an eternity in Hell. But there's a loophole: outdrink Satan and he'll grant them re-entry to Earth.

This one hurts. Night School Studio made the fantastic Oxenfree (the sequel to OlliOlli), which featured great dialogue and dialogue choices, driven by the 'walk and talk' mechanics which have sadly not been used by other games yet. Very well written, with an interesting story and setting and even a new game plus mode that made perfect narrative sense. And now this one is EGS exclusive for a whole year. Like I said, this one hurts.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- eonden

Locked out of Steam and Russia, play the newest instance of the premier console shooter. This year with an actual story mode centered around the Syrian civil war, which as always will somehow escalate into a third world war where only USA can save the world (or not maybe). A bit of a spotty netcode during the beta might have made some people afraid, but let's hope it is not as bad as release!

Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout
- Hektor

The Glorious return of the Atelier Franchise!
Highly-packed with content and upgraded, pretty graphics to deliver a brand-new Atelier experience.
Intricate and interesting crafting mechanics await you on your quest to
Gather materials and engage in the wonderful art of alchemy.
Ho, capitalism, ho!
Steam release this october!

Cube World
- eonden

After everyone thought the game was long dead, Cube World comes back and finally launches, signaling the end of times. Play a Voxel style procedurally generated open world RPG that does away with the normal vertical progression of RPGs and instead relies of item based stats (which currently are semi locked to regions). Pretty nifty multiplayer!

gK65o0a.png

Spec Ops: The Line
- Uzzy

Spec Ops: The Line, from YAGER, is a fairly mediocre third person military shooter that's quite deliberately reminiscent of the other fairly mediocre military shooters that filled the era, all the better to draw you (or rather, the players of those games) in to tell its tale, an eviscerating critique and deconstruction of the fetishisation in military shooters of the military without a thought as to what's being portrayed or promoted. It's one of the few military shooters out there that takes a sledgehammer to the idea of moral absolutism and the concept of morality itself in the kinds of nightmarish situations you get in war. It's one of the few military shooters out there with something to say, something beyond 'war is bad', an actual attack on military adventurism.

People who felt like a hero:
JIfmoDo.png

Dishonoured 2
- Uzzy

Dishonoured 2, from Arkane Studios, is an immersive simulation masterpiece, full of imaginative level design, an impressively reactive world and a variety of play styles all catered for across two different characters through an immense array of weapons, abilities and powers. But really, who needs magic powers anyway? The Outsider's a fuckhead, so reject him and his creepy advances, and complete the game using just flesh and steel.

Get the 'Flesh and Steel' Achievement. Steam reports that it's been accomplished by just 3.1% of the player base, so good luck!

People who have gotten the 'Flesh and Steel' achievement:
GxAoYEU.png

• Notice a poster that is obnoxious or harmful to the thread? REPORT THEM.
  • Do not solicit/trade/sell/beg for games in this thread.
  • Do not spam post your game stats/games count or post damage lists from sales.
  • NO ANIME / J- ROCK/POP.
  • Maybe try not to drive posters away for sharing their thoughts on video games, alright? If you're not wanting to purchase a game for any reason, and someone discusses it in entirely unrelated terms, you don't necessarily have to tell them that you're not going to purchase it for that reason. I know that's something I could do better myself. That's not to say you can't discuss that reason, of course, you just don't have to everytime someone mentions a game in an unrelated context.

LfFWMTH.png

• How do I use Gift Bot? - Check here.
  • How do I recommend a game / challenge / retro to the OP? - Send Uzzy a PM
  • What are Queen Of Hunting's reshades? How do I use them? - Reshade is an open-source advanced, fully generic post-processing injector for games and video. Queen has been working on Reshade sets for a while. Most examples of Reshades she has seen have been full of Bloom and other exaggerated effects. She wanted to go for more subtle changes, like removing horrible tints in games, maxing textures better or color correcting to enhance the atmosphere of games. You can find the excellent Reshade's here.

LwKHelT.png

The SteamERA Community was founded on Discord on October 2017, a stranded bunch of SteamGAF who united together and embraced on what we thought was the end of times. However as more people joined we found hope and soon started to formulate and plan for the future. This thread would not be possible without the community we have on Discord and I encourage all of you to join if you have not.

You can join this amazing community on Discord with this link:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Too many god damn games this month. Mostly keen for Destiny and Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

Uzzy I appreciate the correct spelling for "Dishonoured".

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny, Disco and Outer Worlds for me.

Oh and WWE 2k20 but thats on PS4.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't forget to join us on Destiny 2 and bring your Guardian to life

Eyes up Guardians!

Very excited for Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium between Destiny 2 downtime

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely curious about NeoCab. It reminds me of that one game that Errant Signal covered where you talk to people you pick up through your rearview mirror.

I'm also somewhat anticipating The Outer Worlds as well, but my expectations are tempered on it. I don't expect a really good title, but a "fair" title with greatly improved dialogue over Fallout 4 (which shouldn't be hard to top).

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Disco lives up to all the praise and hype and becomes the best written game ever.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Anyone know if Witcher 3 is worth installing on my SSD or fine on HDD? Don't wanna waste 50gb on my SSD if I'm not going to get significant benefit.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So, The Outer Worlds is coming to Game Pass for PC and Afterparty isn't?

Was looking forward to Afterparty more tbh :')

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
New month, new thread.... still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many games (and obviously not enough money).

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, Afterparty I'm definitely getting. I have slightly mixed reception on Oxenfree, but found it to be a positive experience overall. The visuals seem much more polished here and the humor maintained if the trailer is any indication.

I love dialogue based apporaches in CRPGs, so for it to be a major part of Disco Elyusium sounds interesting but I can't put my finger on the game's theme and execution quite yet. I am cautious yet intrigued.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This is gonna be an interesting month.

Anyone up for Destiny 2 bants, join me!
Not played before, but planning to play a tomorrow and weekends (EU timez)

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate how every single time I'm going to play a game with someone steam goes down. 2nd Time now where the Steam issues is right when I get on

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, should I play the Arkham series in release order or chronologically?

Strongly recommend release Order... which I think is chronological anyway

Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, Arkham Origins, Arkham Knight

Asylum, City and Knight have stories that lead into each other. And I'd avoid the console remasters and just max out the PC versions, which are all great now - even AK (or at least with modern hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.