• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to present Exhibit A for the defence of Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

UsCrhQn.png

Defence rests your honour.
If Odyssey is anything like Origins then it's utterly bloated and average

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
out of place linguistics

This honestly made me impossibile for me to enjoy the game. I just cringe so hard when I hear all those Greek characters speak English... with modern Greek accents. I mean, I totally get that I cannot expect a triple-A game to be dubbed in Greek (or ancient Greek) and that it needs to have English voices. But why those damn accents? They all look like a bunch of English people mocking the Greek language (and yes, I know that most of the characters are voiced by Greek actors, but that doesn't change the effect it has on me). It's like "it's a meee, Maaaario. Mamma mia!" but with Greek instead of Italian... in a game that should have a more serious narrative than Super Mario.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Am I a bad person for being bothered that her eyebrow styling is SO the style of the time the game was made, rather than the time the game takes place?
You mean a wandering mercenary wouldn't be wearing makeup and have threaded eyebrows?

If Odyssey is anything like Origins then it's utterly bloated and average
There is a lot of good stuff there, but yes, vast quantities of the game are bloat and mediocre copy and paste content.

Worse yet, to finish the game you have to do a lot of bloat, you can't just do the interesting stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I enjoyed Odyssey enough to sink probably more time than I've ever spent completing a single other game before, but yeah, it's a lot and I really wish there were more handcrafted content; as is, most of the story-related missions are just remixed versions of the systems-driven activities you can do just wandering about the world map.

The Fate of Atlantis DLC isn't perfect, but it's a lot less bloated and feels more handcrafted in its design.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I too played the beta. Seemed to be all over the place really. The AI was brain dead for sure, there's a loot system that determines damage, but you can still headshot everyone in one/two shot/s. I've a feeling it'll be dirt cheap quite soon, and who knows, maybe they'll pull a Siege out of it and fix it up.
Your impression of the beta will likely reflect the retail. The game isn't irredeemable but it definitely needs a lot of work
Agreed. I'm quite enjoying it and it runs without issues on my PC (3800x/2070 Super Overclocked), but it needs a bit more time in the oven.

well, that's a damn shame. guess steam/uplay sale it is for me then.

This looks delightful.

ooh, i'm always down for a murder VN

holy hell, those look amazing.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Supposedly Steam is going to be getting a new "Remote play together" feature that lets you invite people to remotely play "local" coop pc games with you, with only one copy of the game. At least according to this guy on Twitter:

Sounds cool, although I dunno if I know many local coop games. Could something like that work in emulators?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Supposedly Steam is going to be getting a new "Remote play together" feature that lets you invite people to remotely play "local" coop pc games with you, with only one copy of the game. At least according to this guy on Twitter:

Sounds cool, although I dunno if I know many local coop games. Could something like that work in emulators?
Parsec works in emulators fine and most other steam features work with non-steam games so It might work.

also the beta is supposed to launch on Oct 21st

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
So I'll finally be able to play Crawl with people.

Also uuuuuh wonder if that can used to play fighting games with bad netcode in a better way

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017

The next step will be for Valve to create a server/lobby system so that people can join with randos in local co-op games. If this takes off then I wonder if more devs would be just content with just local co-op and have Valve carry the online burden. For non competitive games but games that could benefit greatly from co-op play, this thing could be huge.

I now the parsec thing exists but having a platform holder make something official is vastly more preferable I think. Do Xbox and Nintendo have anything similar? I know Sony has shareplay. The more platforms that can offer something like this the better for devs as they can design their games around such features.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
The next step will be for Valve to create a server/lobby system so that people can join with randos in local co-op games. If this takes off then I wonder if more devs would be just content with just local co-op and have Valve carry the online burden. For non competitive games but games that could benefit greatly from co-op play, this thing could be huge.

I now the parsec thing exists but having a platform holder make something official is vastly more preferable I think. Do Xbox and Nintendo have anything similar? I know Sony has shareplay. The more platforms that can offer something like this the better for devs as they can design their games around such features.

I dunno how relevant it is, but I was hoping maybe they'd also look into something like "emulating" online servers for games with dead online modes. Valve servers would be used to make game lobbies, and also trick the game into thinking it's official game servers, so you could play certain older online games with friends, or partially revive certain games with an online community that can play the game again.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Really interested where Remote Play will go forward, they have basically added every single thing that could be done (connect from anywhere, connect in almost all devices, now the remote play coop). I guess the next step would be to allow you to use Steam servers, but that would be more expensive (although I could imagine them doing something akin to Steam Plus for that? lmao, although it could be a really interesting competition to Stadia / XCloud)

Talking about other competition: still surprised Steam hasnt allowed subscription services inthe platform, even when it has similar tools for monthly payments / temporal ownership of games through the Steam Cafe program.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Steam/Valve really does talk more this year. Which I actually thank Epic for.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how relevant it is, but I was hoping maybe they'd also look into something like "emulating" online servers for games with dead online modes. Valve servers would be used to make game lobbies, and also trick the game into thinking it's official game servers, so you could play certain older online games with friends, or partially revive certain games with an online community that can play the game again.
Holy shit I never thought about that but that would be amazing. If we can do that then we could also use it to bypass terrible netcode in existing games if Valve's version is superior.

Combine that with a lobby system and I could be co-op with folks in Nioh now which otherwise seems dead unless I wanna wait for ages for the game to pair me with someone.

Oct 25, 2017
This would be pretty cool

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
I think the only Assassin's Creed content I haven't loved is the side scrolling games and that only because the gameplay sucked compared to Mark of the Ninja

closer

Oct 25, 2017
So I'll finally be able to play Crawl with people.

Also uuuuuh wonder if that can used to play fighting games with bad netcode in a better way

parsec is used this way, so it'd be really really great if steam's solution has similar functionality
absolute game changer for fighting games if so, though I'm sure it's dependent on distance and etc.

not that there is much choice to begin with, but steam would absolutely become the de facto fighting game pc option (lol it already is)

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Speaking about, I noticed yesterday that rare achievements glow now.
BYidRXj.png

I would like something similar to Playstation, though, were you have something like a total achievement level.

I can't think of a good way to make something like an achievement level work with Steam's loose restrictions on achievements. A game dev can put as many or few into a game as they want, so there are no standards as to how to score them. Frankly, I prefer that approach where developers have control of achievements, but it does make an overarching scoring system hard to manage.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
GIVE
ME
CHEEVO
SFX
AND
MAKE
IT
CUSTOMIZABLE
Achievement glow are now an item that can drop when you complete a card set (only 1 allowed per game), or can be obtained when you 100% the games (this version would be non-tradeable).

Valve hire me for my awesome ideas :toucan:

Edit: Reminder that Steam currently has the option to tie achievements / certain stuff in your game, to specific card drops, so it would be possible to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.