• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Speaking about, I noticed yesterday that rare achievements glow now.
BYidRXj.png

I would like something similar to Playstation, though, were you have something like a total achievement level.

Yes please!!!

GIVE
ME
CHEEVO
SFX
AND
MAKE
IT
CUSTOMIZABLE

Cheevo sfx 🤔

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I can't think of a good way to make something like an achievement level work with Steam's loose restrictions on achievements. A game dev can put as many or few into a game as they want, so there are no standards as to how to score them. Frankly, I prefer that approach where developers have control of achievements, but it does make an overarching scoring system hard to manage.
They only have to do like Xbox and PS and add different values for the achievements so every developer can assign a value to each one. It would break with those 1000 achievements games, because they'll probably assign the maximum score to each cheevo, but I don't think they are much of a problem for the average user.

Option to disable cheevos when?
Just disable the pop ups and ignore them?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Option to disable cheevos when?
in most cases, it's a s simple as playing the GOG version, lol.

And speaking of Pine: Decay of Logos (that other BoW-looking game with the rideable elk) that had such a disastrous launch last month has been releasing patches. Apparently now it's playable on Windows 7 (at launch it was Win 10 only, which is why I skipped it).

Might grab it down the line now. It's cheap enough, and the devs are open enough about the challenges of its development to elicit some sympathy from me. Plus, original 3D action games are always nice to have.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
No you can't customize them at all except turning the overlay off completely. And yeah the dream would just be a checkbox like in Gog Galaxy that nukes them from everywhere.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Achievement popups piss me off too, mostly during story games. I always turn the whole overlay off when playing something with a story but it sucks that there isn't a more elegant solution.

I'll never forget how ridiculous it was to be fighting a major boss and story character in one of the early God Of War games and when his HP bar depleted a "KILLED ______" playstation achievement popped up completely ruining the important cutscene that followed (it wasn't a meaningless boss that you knew for certain would die during this specific fight).

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Did EGS' recent freebie Arkham Knight include the dlc? Googling suggests it did, but I see no mention of it in the Store's page for the game, and there is no separate dlc listing for the game.

Btw, this weeks freebie Surviving Mars has free dlc so don't miss that, and next weeks games are >observer and Alan Wake's American Nightmare.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
After glancing at the most recent Tipping thread on the OT forum I realized how similar they are to the Store cut threads in gaming: they show up once a week, they go over the same arguments every single time, they never reach a consensus, they go on for days, and finally, all participants stay with the exact same belief they had before entering the thread - nothing is learned!
Honestly you could swap the tipping thread posts for the Store cut posts and it'd still work somehow.

Oct 27, 2017
After glancing at the most recent Tipping thread on the OT forum I realized how similar they are to the Store cut threads in gaming: they show up once a week, they go over the same arguments every single time, they never reach a consensus, they go on for days, and finally, all participants stay with the exact same belief they had before entering the thread - nothing is learned!
Honestly you could swap the tipping thread posts for the Store cut posts and it'd still work somehow.
I feel like this describes most online arguments tbh

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
PBF020-Skub.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Did EGS' recent freebie Arkham Knight include the dlc? Googling suggests it did, but I see no mention of it in the Store's page for the game, and there is no separate dlc listing for the game.

Btw, this weeks freebie Surviving Mars has free dlc so don't miss that, and next weeks games are >observer and Alan Wake's American Nightmare.
DLC is included but it was glitched for a few days.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I know about the "don't argue for free things" but honestly 90% of the games Epic is giving away for free were already free from Humble, included in some dirty cheap bundle or Twitch Prime. Yes there are nice exceptions like Celeste, Conarium and Thimbleweed Park, but the majority of titles were already n my Steam library.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
CDP finally badgered me into buying Thronebreaker. They gave me a 60% off promo code for being a subbed to their newsletter.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I know about the "don't argue for free things" but honestly 90% of the games Epic is giving away for free were already free from Humble, included in some dirty cheap bundle or Twitch Prime. Yes there are nice exceptions like Celeste, Conarium and Thimbleweed Park, but the majority of titles were already n my Steam library.
Subnautica, Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden, The Witness, Batman Trilogy, Celese you already mentioned, those have been free elsewhere? Remember Twitch Prime isn't fully free either, since you need to be subbed to Twitch or Amazon Prime.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Subnautica, Mutant Year Zero Road to Eden, The Witness, Batman Trilogy, Celese you already mentioned, those have been free elsewhere? Remember Twitch Prime isn't fully free either, since you need to be subbed to Twitch or Amazon Prime.

Batman games have all been available in cheap bundles or heavily discounted multiple times over the years. The Witness has also been in a bunch of bundles.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Batman games have all been available in cheap bundles or heavily discounted multiple times over the years. The Witness has also been in a bunch of bundles.
I still dont know how I got Arkham Knight, cause I sure as hell didnt buy it.

Edit:

Well that was unexpected. I really like her as an interviewer during TI, she seems really genuine and really natural and has greatly evolved since her first TI to become one of the better parts of it.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
What I would do to E N H A N C E Steam Achievements:

1) Session Achievement Summary: Give an option to make it so that Steam will show your achievement popups after you exit a game, with a popup window like the screenshot window showing a collection of the cheevs you got during that session, your already earned cheevs and cheev tracking for other ones. This could be in addition to your cheev popups during game or to take the place of them (so they don't show at inopportune times if you don't want them to).

2) The ability to turn off Achievement popups separate from all other popups. Hell, allow it on a per-game basis.

3) Customizable Achievement popups (noises and animations). Make it open sourced like Steam skins, but also work with developers to create promotional ones, marketable ones, or order bonuses or whatever. Allow users to apply different cheev popups based on rarity of achievement or achievement value (think like the different donation jingles/animations that Twitch streamers use).

4) Assign 1000 points to each game/application that divides the value of the points based on a normalization of the rarity of the achieved achievements. Gives people that Xbox-style race for points if people want to. Sure, Steam achievement unlocker breaks this, but achievements are ultimately worthless so who cares.

5) Create an API that developers can implement that allow users to create their own community achievements to challenge friends or Steam groups or whatever. It would just hook into different variables in the code and allow unlocking when conditionals are hit. Probably a bit too pie-in-the-sky, but it might be neat.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
What I would do to E N H A N C E Steam Achievements:

1) Session Achievement Summary: Give an option to make it so that Steam will show your achievement popups after you exit a game, with a popup window like the screenshot window showing a collection of the cheevs you got during that session, your already earned cheevs and cheev tracking for other ones. This could be in addition to your cheev popups during game or to take the place of them (so they don't show at inopportune times if you don't want them to).

The new library has something similar, just that it wont show up after closing the game, but it will show you part of the old activity page:

unbenanntyojf1.jpg

Just need to open the storepage again after exiting the game.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Achievement summary is a thing in the new library, just not as a pop up.
Yep, looks like this and pops up when you close the game.

hkSRHWB.png

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
tfw still no Digimon store page
;_;

Also I am embarrassed to say that I just found out that Atelier Ryza will have swimsuit DLC and its made me seriously consider dropping the $66 on the game as a preorder for the Digital Deluxe Edition. This will be the most money I have ever spent on a brand new anime game.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Interesting. I totally didn't notice that in the new UI.

I guess it's probably because I haven't gotten a single new cheev since it launched hahaha.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Mutant and The Witness were in the Monthly, Batman titles were in other bundles, Subnautica was in a Humble Bundle too.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ye, I missed the mutant year zero monthly and that sucks! Now I need to wait for the next steam sale.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah, the new post game summary + the old screenshot popup could be combined. Would be neat.

I'm still surprised that the achievements popup noises aren't a thing on Steam. Taking a screenshot has a shutter sound so they already have that functionality in the client.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading all the faction stuff about Pine (and some of the combat stuff) makes me think it might have more Gothic / Risen influence than the Zelda it looks like at a first glance.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
On topic of Bioshock - should I be playing the OG version or the remaster?
I prefer the remasters but I know a lot of people prefer the look of the originals. They changed shaders a bit and the remasters lose a bit of atmosphere (subjectively)

Either one will be fine though so you could do some A/B screenshot comparisons and figure what you like better. as far as content and gameplay they are pretty much identical.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah my country is not supported on Rockstar Launcher Store, after free San Andreas promo ended Store button just vanished. I can't even see RDR2 in library. Support is useless, yesterday i spent like hour and a half with them trying to solve that issue and nothing. Today they are sending me ToS to read and telling me how my Country or ISP are blocking their Store even though i actually can use Rockstar Warehouse store. As soon as i turn VPN on store shows up. So they are clearly blocking my country for some reason. That means that i can't use current upgrade to Premium version for the price of Standard one and other bonuses. Why the hell these companies even launch their Stores if they can't do them right? For the love of God even Origin and UPlay supported my country when launched, hell Ubisoft supported my country even when they used Digital River services. I guess that this is what you get when you live in market so small that companies don't even care if users will buy game XD

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
What's the best way to know if my SSD is dying? Something is definitely getting fucked when I pLay Gears now.

Hoping it's not the GPU, but I'm pretty sure it's not....

Status
Not open for further replies.