• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
so Returnal is actually fantastic, which kinda makes the whole "lol a roguelike for full triple A price" narrative back when it launched (one, I admit, I was part of to be frank) seem extra silly now.

Housemarque doesnt miss do they? this should come to PC eventually right?
it was listed in the GeForce DB leak so pretty likely

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
so Returnal is actually fantastic, which kinda makes the whole "lol a roguelike for full triple A price" narrative back when it launched (one, I admit, I was part of to be frank) seem extra silly now.

Housemarque doesnt miss do they? this should come to PC eventually right?
Still waiting on Resogun and Alienation on PC.

They missed with Matterfall. Otherwise, stellar developer.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
put this in my wishlist after playing the demo and have been looking forward to the release. it released today! demo is still available and i highly recommend it if your into these types of games.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I think they are trying to release as many PS4 games as they can. With the intention to drive people to the PS5 to play new games in those series.
Yeah, at the moment I do think that's the plan since that's where the bulk of their modern titles are, but it's not the long term strategy they've outlined to their investors; which is reaching new markets and regions (such as China, Russia, India) they currently can't with their consoles.

But even besides that, how many are realistically switching platforms because they played Demon's Souls or Returnal on PC? Wouldn't they simply continue to play those games on PC since the expectation is that they will arrive sooner or later?

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I think they are trying to release as many PS4 games as they can. With the intention to drive people to the PS5 to play new games in those series.
Myself, my friends, and my cousins have zero intentions or desire of buying a PS5. We are sick of consoles and what they offer. So if they don't put the games on Steam, then that's PlayStation's loss. We aren't buying a PS5 to play Horizon Forbidden West despite getting Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam.

I personally thought about getting one to play a couple exclusives but honestly, I can live without it. Sure I'll have a little fomo but meh, I'll get over it. The massive amount of amazing PC games continuously coming and all the amazing benefits GREATLY outweighs the handful of games I can't play.

Playstation want to make their games as as popular and talked about like TV shows, movies and music (look at how Squid Games took over the world). That's not happening just releasing games on a $500 with games costing $70. Plus, nobody can get a PS5 atm, how are they supposed to turn profit when most of their own fan base who only play consoles can't get a PS5 atm?

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

Rewarding people for waiting won't make them go out to buy PS5s

I agree with Lashley on this. It's principally the opposite of this.
Lots of PC players (myself included) are perfectly content to skip and never play these PS games rather than buy a console, because they simply prefer playing games via PC with the various options, features, services etc they prefer, and/or can't justify the price for a system that would otherwise have so little or no use.

I'm fairly sure Sony know this anyway, and that's part of the impetus for doing it as their competitor is doing - "meeting customers where they are", as that PC market keeps growing without ill-effect to their console business.

The moment they put HZD on PC, it was practically reaffirming all this for those players. I'm now even less likely to get a PS console, as I simply expect the games will eventually be on PC whenever that may be. It's nice if the games show up on PC so I can at least consider them, but if they don't, it changes nothing and they simply don't have any attention. From the friends I play with, I know we all think pretty much the same on this. This forum is a bit of an echo chamber in that regard, as people roll themselves up into a frenzy over these "first party" games and assume everyone else is similarly into them to such a wild extent.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, at the moment I do think that's the plan since that's where the bulk of their modern titles are, but it's not the long term strategy they've outlined to their investors; which is reaching new markets and regions (such as China, Russia, India) they currently can't with their consoles.

But even besides that, how many are realistically switching platforms because they played Demon's Souls or Returnal on PC? Wouldn't they simply continue to play those games on PC since the expectation is that they will arrive sooner or later?
I'm guessing their long term strategy is to keep interest in their IPs outside of their console. By investing in PC Ports, TV shows etc.. it builds interesting in them and will inevitably drive people to buy a PS5 if it's the only place you can get the new game when everyone else is getting it.
There is no guarantee that any of their games will come to PC so I don't think there can be an expectation they will come, I would think the expectation should be they won't come. As much as I'd prefer if they all did.

Myself, my friends, and my cousins have zero intentions or desire of buying a PS5. We are sick of consoles and what they offer. So if they don't put the games on Steam, then that's PlayStation's loss. We aren't buying a PS5 to play Horizon Forbidden West despite getting Horizon Zero Dawn on Steam.

I personally thought about getting one to play a couple exclusives but honestly, I can live without it. Sure I'll have a little fomo but meh, I'll get over it. The massive amount of amazing PC games continuously coming and all the amazing benefits GREATLY outweighs the handful of games I can't play.

Playstation want to make their games as as popular and talked about like TV shows, movies and music (look at how Squid Games took over the world). That's not happening just releasing games on a $500 with games costing $70. Plus, nobody can get a PS5 atm, how are they supposed to turn profit when most of their own fan base who only play consoles can't get a PS5 atm?

Enough people will buy a PS5 though.
After playing Horizon, the Uncharted games and whatever else they are planning on porting, it will nibble on those customers to play it day one.
End of fiscal year they sold 10 million PS5's with that number forecast to go up to and beyond 22 million over the next. A lot of people have PS5s.
They will make their IP more popular by investing in other types of media like TV shows and movies based on their IP. I wouldn't saw Squid Game took over the world, it's good and quite popular but will most likely be forgotten about in a few months when what ever new thing comes out like Game of Throne and Tiger King before it.

I agree with Lashley on this. It's principally the opposite of this.
Lots of PC players (myself included) are perfectly content to skip and never play these PS games rather than buy a console, because they simply prefer playing games via PC with the various options, features, services etc they prefer, and/or can't justify the price for a system that would otherwise have so little or no use.

I'm fairly sure Sony know this anyway, and that's part of the impetus for doing it as their competitor is doing - "meeting customers where they are", as that PC market keeps growing without ill-effect to their console business.

The moment they put HZD on PC, it was practically reaffirming all this for those players. I'm now even less likely to get a PS console, as I simply expect the games will eventually be on PC whenever that may be. It's nice if the games show up on PC so I can at least consider them, but if they don't, it changes nothing and they simply don't have any attention. From the friends I play with, I know we all think pretty much the same on this. This forum is a bit of an echo chamber in that regard, as people roll themselves up into a frenzy over these "first party" games and assume everyone else is similarly into them to such a wild extent.

If you're buying the games they release on PC they will be content with the extra money they are getting out of their older games but Sony have no intention of watering down their image of a premium console with timely releases on PC. They are spending a lot of time trying to make the PS5 appear as premium product worth the money. Expensive console with expensive games. I don't think they actually really care if you convert and buy a PS5 after buying one of their releases on PC, you've still given them money, it's just their intention to convince you it's worth it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I got into the beta of Inscryption and ya'll are in for a treat, it is legit GOTY material. It may even nudge out Returnal for the top spot on my list. How new things are introduced not only gameplay wise but narratively is just brilliant. The OST is amazing too. I hope the dev gets all the sales from this because it's one of the most inventive and exciting releases I've come across in awhile. Don't sleep on it!

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I'm guessing their long term strategy is to keep interest in their IPs outside of their console. By investing in PC Ports, TV shows etc.. it builds interesting in them and will inevitably drive people to buy a PS5 if it's the only place you can get the new game when everyone else is getting it.
There is no guarantee that any of their games will come to PC so I don't think there can be an expectation they will come, I would think the expectation should be they won't come. As much as I'd prefer if they all did.

Enough people will buy a PS5 though.
After playing Horizon, the Uncharted games and whatever else they are planning on porting, it will nibble on those customers to play it day one.
End of fiscal year they sold 10 million PS5's with that number forecast to go up to and beyond 22 million over the next. A lot of people have PS5s.
They will make their IP more popular by investing in other types of media like TV shows and movies based on their IP. I wouldn't saw Squid Game took over the world, it's good and quite popular but will most likely be forgotten about in a few months when what ever new thing comes out like Game of Throne and Tiger King before it.

If you're buying the games they release on PC they will be content with the extra money they are getting out of their older games but Sony have no intention of watering down their image of a premium console with timely releases on PC. They are spending a lot of time trying to make the PS5 appear as premium product worth the money. Expensive console with expensive games. I don't think they actually really care if you convert and buy a PS5 after buying one of their releases on PC, you've still given them money, it's just their intention to convince you it's worth it.
If the rumor of Horizon: Forbidden West is gonna be released to PC earlier (let's say 1 year after the PS5 release), then Sony is probably gathering data and information about the effect it has on the game's sales by comparing it with Horizon: Zero Dawn's sales in a certain time range. If releasing the game on PC doesn't hurt its sales on PS5 and they could actually get significantly more copies sold in total by porting it to PC, we may get more PS5 games released on PC earlier (like 1 year after release). If the result is in favor of Sony, I expect it to expand its ecosystem by creating its own PC client so they don't have to pay fees to third-party stores and implement a feature similar to Xbox Play Anywhere to attract PC + PS owners.

This hypothesis obviously has many flaws, but it's interesting nevertheless to see how things play out for Sony. This is after all an uncharted market for them.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If the rumor of Horizon: Forbidden West is gonna be released to PC earlier (let's say 1 year after the PS5 release), then Sony is probably gathering data and information about the effect it has on the game's sales by comparing it with Horizon: Zero Dawn's sales in a certain time range. If releasing the game on PC doesn't hurt its sales on PS5 and they could actually get significantly more copies sold in total by porting it to PC, we may get more PS5 games released on PC earlier (like 1 year after release). If the result is in favor of Sony, I expect it to expand its ecosystem by creating its own PC client so they don't have to pay fees to third-party stores and implement a feature similar to Xbox Play Anywhere to attract PC + PS owners.

This hypothesis obviously has many flaws, but it's interesting nevertheless to see how things play out for Sony. This is after all an uncharted market for them.
I hope it does work out for them. It would be great if they could get some exclusive PlayStation games on PC. I only wish Nintendo would do the same thing, but that will never happen.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

You're seemingly contradicting your own original point of view that I responded to: "With the intention to drive people to the PS5 to play new games in those series." Surely both can't be true and remain in contradiction?

I think its obvious that the primary reason for doing this is money. Plain and simple. They can make a shit ton of money with minimal investment and practically no impact on their console business
They can scale the economics of their game development with the PC market in the development and product cycle of future games, granting better profitability outcomes and monetisation options.
They can develop this further with PSN integration within the various PC clients, with a longer term view to extend PS subscription services to PC customers (whether that is a currated subscription, cloud etc). This is also something their main competitor is rolling towards, and I'm sure they rather not have the market taken and retained by them.

I didn't mentioned anything about "timely PC releases" because I don't think it even matters, near and long term beyond multiplayer titles. PC players will buy what they like regardless of when. The two markets are not the same in terms of their customers though, so I'm certain there will be games that simply don't resonate as well as they have with console players and vice versa.
However, it could certainly happen for a selection of titles depending on what they are doing. It's plausible some online focused games for example. They may also opt for devloping titles with third parties which may be contingent on such a release stratetgy. There's lots of options for them to consider, that doesn't negate their console business.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Any tips for increasing text size in games? I really find myself squinting trying to read text in the Avengers game.

Best option if there is no UI/Text scaling option in the game, is to reduce the game resolution, as it is the most common way many games will scale UI.
Have you tried the DPI settings in Windows?
That's sometimes connected to how games display text, and might be another option.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
halothemasterchiefcolf1kfg.png

Halo CE on the MCC finally has the classic HUD and it's pretty much perfect now <3

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I doubt Sony has much incentive for timely PC releases because for those who do have a PC + PS5, or maybe will have, better to take $60 from them on PSN than $42 on Steam. And it's another potential PS+ sub. Yeah maybe they're thinking about PS+ on PC too, but not in the short term surely, just not enough value there.

Bringing over legacy games and those say 2+ years old, that's free money though.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt Sony has much incentive for timely PC releases because for those who do have a PC + PS5, or maybe will have, better to take $60 from them on PSN than $42 on Steam. And it's another potential PS+ sub. Yeah maybe they're thinking about PS+ on PC too, but not in the short term surely, just not enough value there.

Bringing over legacy games and those say 2+ years old, that's free money though.

There are plenty of practical incentives

Sony and every company worth it's salt needs more money.
Sony console only consumers aren't enough to fuel every studio as they want and pump each high amounts of talent with very few deadline or sale expectations.

More consumers spending on their products is better.

Bringing it in two years with decent polish is better than me never getting it on pc or ps5. Some of pcs best performers are because they have gone in excess of support most console makers including sony are willing to do. Counter strike and Minecraft started out exceptionally small and look where they are now. GTA may shine on console but it bloomed on PC.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
That's easily offset by the extra reach they'll gain by being another platform. Also more likely to sell more games to that particular customer since they're now offering their games on their preferred platform.
No, because the PC owner who doesn't have a PS5 will buy it anyway, whether it's day and date or two years later.

There are plenty of practical incentives

Sony and every company worth it's salt needs more money.
Sony console only consumers aren't enough to fuel every studio as they want and pump each high amounts of talent with very deadline or sale expectations.

More consumers spending on their products is better.

Bringing it in two years with decent polish is better than me never getting it on pc or ps5. Some of pcs best performers are because they have gone in excess of support most console makers including sony are willing to do. Counter strike and Minecraft started out exceptionally small and look where they are now. GTA may shine on console but it bloomed on PC.
Sony is doing fine. They had $3BN in operating income from the games division last year. Without looking too closely, I expect a lot of that is from PS+. Their first party games don't need to be profitable, so long as they keep driving console sales and annual PS+ subs. As I said, a two year old game coming to PC is free money for them, but a day and date release might cost them more profitable sales on their own storefront. A staggered release may even lead to more double dipping among those who own both platforms.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021

In markets where PS can't be penetrated easily, $42 is better than $0. And a good chunk of PC gamers don't want to buy consoles so

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
No, because the PC owner who doesn't have a PS5 will buy it anyway, whether it's day and date or two years later.
Edit: Oh, we're talking about different scenarios.

Nevertheless, I don't think that matters. Sony will undoubtedly see more profit by reaching more people, as making people wait has never been a reliable strategy.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
In markets where PS can't be penetrated easily, $42 is better than $0. And a good chunk of PC gamers don't want to buy consoles so
It's not $0 though. The PC owner willing to buy the game if it releases the same time on console, is still likely to buy the game if it releases much later. Exhibit A and B and C being GTA, RDR2, HZD. And it may be more double dipping too.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Sony is doing fine. They had $3BN in operating income from the games division last year. Without looking too closely, I expect a lot of that is from PS+. Their first party games don't need to be profitable, so long as they keep driving console sales and annual PS+ subs. As I said, a two year old game coming to PC is free money for them, but a day and date release might cost them more profitable sales on their own storefront. A staggered release may even lead to more double dipping among those who own both platforms.

I don't want day releases cause their porting quality is rarely there. Every penny counts considering they had to let go projects and teams. They are far from being spread thin I won't say they are robust and flush with cash like certain super companies are.

They put some games but it remains to be seen how many more heavy hitters will show up.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I've already double dipped for Nex Machina (best twin stick shooter since Robotron), and would do again for Resogun, maybe Gravity Rush (I loved both of those games, especially the first one), and Ico/SotC/TLG. Yes I had a PS4, no plans to get PS5 though.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
No they wont, we have seen what happens with third party exclusives that do not launch day and date on PC nowadays: they underperform what hthey could have done. PC owners are as vulnerable to hype and FOMO as console owners, not being on day one on the platform means that FOMO / hype is gone. Right now Sony has the "oh they are actually doing it" hype so their old games end up selling, but in a couple of years that wont be enough to recover FOMO / hype.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
All this talk of PlayStation games on PC reminds I've been putting off playing Horizon Zero Dawn until I built my new PC. I guess it's time to install it again.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
That trailer for The Invincible looked interesting enough that I bought the book it's based on.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully dodging a bullet here. Games that are somehow connected to blockchain tech or NFTs aren't welcome on Steam.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already in the habit of waiting past launch of most games to wait for them to be fixed/complete so waiting for a better pc version is also fine. But it does make it so that the PS5 is the first Sony console since I've been buying them for myself that I completely skipped on launch. Same reason why I completely stopped getting Microsoft consoles.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
For some reason, I missed the news that era is sold to another company.

How do I join meta council and the PC Gaming Era Discord? I've joined the latter years ago, but I'm unable to see other channels now somehow.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I missed the news that era is sold to another company.

How do I join meta council and the PC Gaming Era Discord? I've joined the latter years ago, but I'm unable to see other channels now somehow.
Wait, that was real? I thought that was all a joke?
edit: Well that's ... a thing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.