• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
As someone with a GTX 970, should I upgrade now or just wait until say... just before Cyberpunk or Red Dead?
Best to wait and see what Nvidia announce for 2020, IIRC, AMD and Intel have some announcements to make as well. Current RTX cards aren't exactly wortwhile for RTX and it helps to wait and see if they'll go cheaper when new cards get announced. Furthermore, Black Friday is in a few months, so unless you can get an RTX 20 card for a good bargain atm, it helps to wait.

Oh and what CPU are you using? Might be worth an upgrade to 8th gen at least :X

Yoshizzle

Oct 25, 2017
Better than City's Mr. Freeze? I always thought that was the peak of Arkham bosses, since it used so much of the core gameplay.

And I found the Ra's fight in City to be way more spectacular than any of Origins.

I like City a lot.
Mr. Freeze was my favorite boss fight in City for sure, and probably on par with Origin's best boss fights.

What I liked about the Deathstroke battle was that it was a straight up fight. No sneaking around, just a face-to-face heroic clash between two badasses :p

City is really good though, probably the best game in the series overall. All this Arkham talk is making me want to replay them. It's been awhile lol.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Mr. Freeze was my favorite boss fight in City for sure, and probably on par with Origin's best boss fights.

What I liked about the Deathstroke battle was that it was a straight up fight. No sneaking around, just a face-to-face heroic clash between two badasses :p

City is really good though, probably the best game in the series overall. All this Arkham talk is making me want to replay them. It's been awhile lol.

You want to replay old game? Era taught me that nobody is doing that these days and that is why subscription services are fine instead of owning games XD

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Best to wait and see what Nvidia announce for 2020, IIRC, AMD and Intel have some announcements to make as well. Current RTX cards aren't exactly wortwhile for RTX and it helps to wait and see if they'll go cheaper when new cards get announced. Furthermore, Black Friday is in a few months, so unless you can get an RTX 20 card for a good bargain atm, it helps to wait.

Oh and what CPU are you using? Might be worth an upgrade to 8th gen at least :X

i5 8600K. Hoping that will last me a bit.

Yoshizzle

Oct 25, 2017
You want to replay old game? Era taught me that nobody is doing that these days and that is why subscription services are fine instead of owning games XD
haha

That's one trend I haven't jumped on. I know I technically don't own my digital games, but for 15 years, none of the games I purchased on Steam have vanished. It gives me comfort knowing I can go back and play my old games whenever. I don't get that same reliable feeling with subscriptions :p

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone with a GTX 970, should I upgrade now or just wait until say... just before Cyberpunk or Red Dead?

Waiting is always better, but it might also mean you never upgrade at all.

That being said, I don't think nvidia is releasing new cards before Cyberpunk, but we can never be sure, so if you are not in immediate need of a new card, I would just wait to see what deal you might get from AMD or nvidia from now till release.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
haha

That's one trend I haven't jumped on. I know I technically don't own my digital games, but for 15 years, none of the games I purchased on Steam have vanished. It gives me comfort knowing I can go back and play my old games whenever. I don't get that same reliable feeling with subscriptions :p

I hate subscription services XD

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Waiting is always better, but it might also mean you never upgrade at all.

That being said, I don't think nvidia is releasing new cards before Cyberpunk, but we can never be sure, so if you are not in immediate need of a new card, I would just wait to see what deal you might get from AMD or nvidia from now till release.

The only thing I'd really like to play but am not sure I can is Control. Not sure how performance patches effected it.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017

I'm in the same position, also have a 970 still.

Definitely waiting until next summer, after e3. It'll suck a bit waiting until then but I'm willing to deal so that I can buy the best card for my budget after we know more about next gen consoles.

Also I want something with raytracing and I think next year will be a much better time to buy if you care about that.

Though if you want something affordable now the 5700xt seems like a very good value.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington

Definitely waiting until next summer, after e3. It'll suck a bit waiting until then but I'm willing to deal so that I can buy the best card for my budget after we know more about next gen consoles.

Also I want something with raytracing and I think next year will be a much better time to buy if you care about that.

Though if you want something affordable now the 5700xt seems like a very good value.

Probably the safest bet.

Just have to do with what I have until more is known.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I'm going to keep waiting just now.
My i7 4790k and 970 combo is still surprisingly punchy

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It could be awesome. 🤞

You're not wrong that people will lap it up but I am cautiously optimistic about the game's quality! The other guy was definitely wrong, however - we have heard about much more than just one lacklustre video (the positive coverage since frequently mentions how weird it was that that video was chosen to represent the game).

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gosh just seeing Cube World in my library is something else. When that alpha came out way back in 2013 my friends and I were so damn excited, we stayed up for nights playing.

rLyNL0C.jpg

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Which one should I upgrade first? 8GB RAM, GTX 1070, or Ryzen 5 1600?
I'm going to play at 1080p60 forever. Will my current machine handle Cyberpunk well/at all?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
one day i might go back and play city and knight (maybe origins)

asylum was an absolutely amazing game, i think i played it through four times when it came out

then i got city, played it for maybe two hours, and then never returned to the franchise

im still not sure why

maybe it's that asylum was just so laser focused on exactly what it wanted to be and i think i got a feeling early on when it was even more slightly open worldy that it wasn't as much anymore and it just turned me off immediately

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So I finally got the stupid Rockstar launcher to actually install and load without crashing again after a million times.

Got my....3rd copy of GTA San Andreas! (Already had it on PS2 and Steam).

Am...I looking at this right but they only have GTA San Andreas and GTAV on their store lol....?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
So I finally got the stupid Rockstar launcher to actually install and load without crashing again after a million times.

Got my....3rd copy of GTA San Andreas! (Already had it on PS2 and Steam).

Am...I looking at this right but they only have GTA San Andreas and GTAV on their store lol....?

Nah there's GTA 3, 5, VC, San Andreas, LA Noire, Max Payne 3 and Bully

But yeah only San Andreas and 5 show for me in my library too.
I'm amazed GTA 4 isn't supported? I presume it's something to do with GFWL or an older R* Social Club thing?

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
A question for those who play on your TV and use DSR or similar GPU features. When your PC is connected to your TV, do stick with the recommended scale setting of 150%?

Gears 5, for example, drops to sub 1080p whenever I switch over to my TV (I'm down sampling from 1440p to 1080p on my monitor). I think most games just default to 1080p when I switch my display to my TV. Gears 5 isn't doing that.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hardland is something else. Beautiful game with a ridiculous amount of depth in just alone being able to talk to every single NPC. Questing is fun, combat is fun, graphics are gorgeous and the actual world has impact. Menu navigation is great and Steam Controller support is just icing on the cake.

100% reccomend this game, if you are an RPG fanatic who wants actual choice with no silly quest markers then get this. Hell if you like Zelda BotW get this.

Was this Cube World included in some Humble Bundle or what?
Nah it's a game from 2013 that was in development secrecy after the alpha went big. It's only a one man team with his wife helping on occasion. It finally got a release date, and in fact is coming even earlier with alpha users getting access on 23rd September and full release 27th.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Hardland is something else. Beautiful game with a ridiculous amount of depth in just alone being able to talk to every single NPC. Questing is fun, combat is fun, graphics are gorgeous and the actual world has impact. Menu navigation is great and Steam Controller support is just icing on the cake.

100% reccomend this game, if you are an RPG fanatic who wants actual choice with no silly quest markers then get this. Hell if you like Zelda BotW get this.
I got it in my Discovery Queue earlier this week and it looked amazing, but that mixed rating was scaring me but I still wishlisted it. Nice to know it is good, surrealism is such a nice thing imo.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I'm playing Ion Fury and man if the game is boring. Duke 3D feels so much better compared to this, all levels look uninspired.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

Don't need to hear that. I have too many games to play as is even if I already own it.

How is the performance? Last played it several years ago on a 970 and it was a bit rough.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some preemptory damage control on Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones from kickstarter. Not really looking too good, but it's good to know at least.
I know this sounds absurd (it definitely does to us!) but Stygian will be out in 5 days...

First of all, we want to send our deepest gratitude for all the patience you have shown towards us through these long years.

We sincerely hope that we were able to create something that was worth the wait. I personally know that each cultist in this team did his / her utmost best in the creation of Stygian. We fought really hard to fulfill all the promises that we made in our campaign, from the Explorer archetype to the Dreamlands quest.

I'd like to share some insight on the scope of the game as well. When I first wrote the script of Stygian, I wasn't aware that its scope would actually be much wider in terms of the playtime than what we envisioned for Reign of the Old Ones. The complete saga that I had written would have lasted around 50 hours to complete but we were trying to achieve a 15-20 hours experience with a lot of re-playability. At some point in the production, I was obliged to make a tough decision (like any good RPG): rushing the last chapter, breaking the pace of the game or complete it on a cliffhanger and leave some space for future installments.

Stygian is not a short game and it definitely can not be categorized as episodic, since it is teeming with content; but I have to state that we won't be solving all the mysteries at the end of this game. Going the other way would have spoiled some really good scenes, characters and situations for the sake of having just a closure. For better or for worse, I thought you needed to know that. [...]

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone playing deep rock galactic here? i played the free weekend and loved it so i bought it. It's really cool and a big update is coming next week.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from SteveWinwood SteveWinwood!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

SteveWinwood said:
Testing how this works

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Slay the Spire - Won by Shodan14 Shodan14
  • Steam Steam: Yoku's Island Express - Won by vastag vastag

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
It seems that the 9700k completely overwhelmed the new AIO I just got. It's the 240mm corsair hydro 100i. The CPU shoots up to 80 in matter of seconds when running cinnebench running at 5.1 GHz. Am I asking too much of the cooler?

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how the Steam library update came and went without me caring about it. GoG Galaxy is all I use now.

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
Yoku's Island Express is reaaally good. Just finished it on GP. Not that challenging but very chillax with great music.

Oct 25, 2017
God, I've been playinig around with the Deep Dive feature in Steam labs, and that thing is so cool. Seems like a really great way to discover games (not that my wishlist needs to be any bigger).

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
PSA for those hoping for Yoku's Island Express, it's free if you have Amazon Prime. It's in this months freebies on Twitch Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.