• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Playing around with Steam Link / Remote play a bit again in anticipation of iPadOS with its mouse support. It's working OK on iPad now. I added a custom resolution of 2048 x 1536 on my PC but it still chooses 1024x768 if I enable resolution matching. Not a huge deal as I can alter that manually anyway.

I'm having sound issues though, there's quite a bit of stutter and Sean Bean sounds drunk in Civ 6, so I'm guessing there's something going on with sample rates. I've tried disabling other sound devices on the PC and changing sample rates, but nothing has worked yet. Oddly enough I got it to work one time by simply restarting the game so I'm not sure what's going on here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding those sale numbers. People here are saying for a long time that issue are not shovelware games released, issue are good games that are released almost daily. Market is overcrowded but nobody wants to accept that and instead we are getting more and more independent developers. And Epic is not helping with free games either. As i said before just look at Tizoc monthly highlights, more games than any human is capable of finishing in few months and we are getting same amount each month.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
While I agree with Teeth that people need to stop making games on the other hand i like to look at this unending proliferation of games and laugh like a madman.
Partially for the sake of laughing like madman.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Regarding those sale numbers. People here are saying for a long time that issue are not shovelware games released, issue are good games that are released almost daily. Market is overcrowded but nobody wants to accept that and instead we are getting more and more independent developers. And Epic is not helping with free games either. As i said before just look at Tizoc monthly highlights, more games than any human is capable of finishing in few months and we are getting same amount each month.

As I said elsewhere, there's an ever growing increase in the amount of entertainment being created right now, all of which is after your time and/or money. The internet has allowed for instant access to the entire sum of a media's back catalogue, be it in books, music, television, movies, and now games. Your new indie game doesn't have to compete with just the entire video game back catalogue, but with the back catalogue of every form of media.

We're in an era of overwhelming abundance of accessible entertainment, so yeah, the people making it are going to see their returns decrease. That's capitalism baby. The ways around that aren't looking too hot right now either: Epic is basically offering crony capitalism, which is great for those few getting the golden ticket but death to everyone else. Crowd funding and patronage is an option too, though that's taken some hits as the idyllic concept of fans funding the games they wanted smashed up against the world of parasitic publishers looking to get their share. The real solution would be to allow artists and others the freedom to create their artistic works without the worry of basic needs (food, shelter, warmth) not being met, but that's clearly impossible.

Impossible under capitalism at least.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
As I said elsewhere, there's an ever growing increase in the amount of entertainment being created right now, all of which is after your time and/or money. The internet has allowed for instant access to the entire sum of a media's back catalogue, be it in books, music, television, movies, and now games. Your new indie game doesn't have to compete with just the entire video game back catalogue, but with the back catalogue of every form of media.

We're in an era of overwhelming abundance of accessible entertainment, so yeah, the people making it are going to see their returns decrease. That's capitalism baby. The ways around that aren't looking too hot right now either: Epic is basically offering crony capitalism, which is great for those few getting the golden ticket but death to everyone else. Crowd funding and patronage is an option too, though that's taken some hits as the idyllic concept of fans funding the games they wanted smashed up against the world of parasitic publishers looking to get their share. The real solution would be to allow artists and others the freedom to create their artistic works without the worry of basic needs (food, shelter, warmth) not being met, but that's clearly impossible.

Impossible under capitalism at least.

Errr...not sure how a planned economy would offer more artistic works than the glut we already have. Games are the least necessary goods.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Errr...not sure how a planned economy would offer more artistic works than the glut we already have. Games are the least necessary goods.

Universal Basic Income would allow for artists to make their works without the worry of not meeting their basic needs, however. But there isn't a catchy song about that yet, so I went with another fun one.

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Universal Basic Income would allow for artists to make their works without the worry of not meeting their basic needs, however. But there isn't a catchy song about that yet, so I went with another fun one.

Yes, which means there would be even more games than there are now, as everyone with an inkling to make one would.

If we're going to talk about economic models based on what's good for humanity, we should really be asking whether there should be more games being made than any society could possibly consume (at the expense of other things, of course, because it is a zero sum game).

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Yes, which means there would be even more games than there are now, as everyone with an inkling to make one would.

If we're going to talk about economic models based on what's good for humanity, we should really be asking whether there should be more games being made than any society could possibly consume (at the expense of other things, of course, because it is a zero sum game).

Indeed, but at least the people making them wouldn't need to worry about financial returns, and could just put out their work for everyone to enjoy. Which keeps the abundance of works (which is a good thing!) but ensures people with the will get to keep creating them (also a good thing!). I'm all for that.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
This year i bought only one game that was actually released this year, Supraland, and i finished it. I got Sekiro from a friend and i finished that one too. I got Plague Tale of Innocence as b-day gift and i have yet to finish it. Compared to most of you my Steam library is basically nothing (around 500 games) and yet i still have enough games unplayed to last me for few years. And i actually did 52 games challenge last year to bring my backlog down. Add to that launch issues with new games i really don't see a reason why to buy new games. To be "in" with current game talks? I have issue with that too, i usually play new games way slower than i play older ones, so by the time i finish game all talk about it was done because we live in world where everything has to be done immediately. For the love of god i played RDR2 for months, watched Westworld for weeks and yet people are finishing shows (8-10h of content) in a day, 15h+ games in a day and so on.

Something needs to give up, consumer, developer or sanity :D

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I miss the days of walking into a Babbages or Electronics Botique, picking up a box, saying, 'Hey! This looks cool!' and buying a game. Streaming, cloud, subscriptions, exclusives, etc makes me a little worried about the future of gaming, especially now that it seems like its ramping up on the PC. It went from 'Here's a cool expereince' to let's see how deep we can dig into your pockets via subscriptions, loot boxes, and so on.

Sigh.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this is widely known, but I just found out today that you can get two months of Game Pass Ultimate (which includes Game Pass PC) for $2/€2. The offer is until September 20th, I believe. One month of regular Game Pass for PC is currently $4/€4. Pretty good deal. From what I understand, if you already have Game Pass it will convert your remaining days into Ultimate, so I guess the best thing to do in that situation is to wait until it will renew and then use the offer.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Thank you, EGS, for making PC gaming better by finally teaching us NOT to pre-order

What're folks thoughts on this? I've been pre-ordering games less and less, but it's more to do with the fact I'm brassic than the EGS. I can see the stuff like the Metro Exodus stuff putting people off, although pre-orders were still given the game.

I can count using my fingers how many times I have preordered a game

This pretty much ensures my reasoning on not to on top of other reasons I had

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
I miss the days of walking into a Babbages or Electronics Botique, picking up a box, saying, 'Hey! This looks cool!' and buying a game.

Judging a game based on the front and back covers could be quite tricky. I have bought a few great games at random (Crash Bandicoot, GTA III), or following the advice of the clerk (Final Fantasy VII), but I have also bought a few awful games (City Crisis, Warriors of Might and Magic). I was less informed at the time.

I know I bought Superman 64, and I cannot remember whether I liked it. I think I forced myself at first, and ended up finishing it. If I had had access to the Internet, I would never have bought it in the first place. Maybe for the better?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Incidentally, I noticed Life is Strange is currently on sale. The whole game is available for £3.19. Before the Storm and LiS 2 are also on sale this week.

Hella nice.

Last edited:

reddragon220

Sep 7, 2019
I've been pleasantly surprised by Gears 5 on pc! It has more graphic options than you shake a stick at and runs like greased lightning. Split screen co-op (with a horizontal or vertical split) is just the best!

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Judging a game based on the front and back covers could be quite tricky. I have bought a few great games at random (Crash Bandicoot, GTA III), or following the advice of the clerk (Final Fantasy VII), but I have also bought a few awful games. I was less informed at the time.

Ha me too, but that's part of the fun!

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Pretty cool seeing this
gfea.jpg

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Incidentally, I noticed Life is Strange is currently on sale. The whole game is available for £3.19. Before the Storm and LiS 2 are also on sale this week.

Hella nice.

Just picked LIS2 complete edition up since I only had the 1st chapter, and the deluxe edition of BtS. And also some cute games like Celeste which is also on sale (50%), as well as Donut County & A Short Hike. Been treating myself, yesss!

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 is a beautiful game & GreedFall has just the right amount of jank - really enjoyed what I have played so far of each.

DuppoloGAF

Oct 28, 2017
gears is so well optimized! i think im falling in love with microsoft. gamepass and then this kind of pc version of a game is so sweet. the opposite of old microsoft and honestly i am much more engaged that with the free games on egs (but thank you for celeste)

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
No way... a PC Gamer article that celebrates 'shovelware' on Steam?

PC Gamer: Steam lets bizarre, obscure games rub shoulders with big-budget hits, and I love it that way

Most know videogames as polished multi-million dollar entertainment products with unfathomably expensive marketing budgets. But for every Grand Theft Auto 5, there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of games like Baby Walking Simulator, or Block Granny Horror, or Meegah Mem 2. These games have little hope of rising above Steam's curation algorithms: they're weird, aesthetically maladjusted, and at a guess, they probably weren't created to rake in billions of dollars for their creators.

People talk about 'curation' a lot when it comes to PC gaming storefronts: some argue that there's not enough curation, others argue in favour of a free-for-all approach. There are good arguments to be made on both sides, and those arguments have been happening (with exhausting regularity) for years.

I don't believe multi-billion dollar companies like Valve or Epic should let hateful or abusive material onto their stores, but I really don't think we should let huge tech companies decide for us what is "art" or "fun" or "worthy". If there does exist a mythical place of perfection in-between "anything goes" and "only things rich people think we should play", I hope small amateurish games are still allowed to exist, and I don't mean "amateurish" in the pejorative sense.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There is just simply too much. This isn't a problem stemming from Steam but at this moment PC game developers need someone to blame because why would they at all ask themselves if they are the issue? Why would they want to slow down on potential income when they need to live like the rest of us. Throw in Epic and their abundantly clear anti-consumer but just as bloated approach and we are getting even worse of a market share happening.

This isn't to say game developers should stop, hell I'm one of them interested in eventually releasing a proper game but it just is a bit too much. I'd rather work as an actual teacher aide (to be teacher eventually) and retain a secured pay then potential risk my entire life for nothing because of the bloat. It is such a difficult time of talent being so widely available and concurrent that we are just going to have bloat. Hell you can see it already on Epic's store with the inability to actually keep a track of what is even on the store or where it is if you did want it later.

Honestly, times are changing. Access is 24/7 and developers are everywhere, meaning competition is huge. Throw in the fact Epic is giving big bucks to go on their store and developers will clamour out of the wood works hoping their game will be picked causing even more bloat in the general PC space. It crazy.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Just picked LIS2 complete edition up since I only had the 1st chapter, and the deluxe edition of BtS. And also some cute games like Celeste which is also on sale (50%), as well as Donut County & A Short Hike. Been treating myself, yesss!

Good choices!

Speaking of too many games, the Discovery Tour just dropped for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. It's time to learn!

This Polygon writer seemed pretty enthused about it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I have few questions first one is can you buy Digital Codes from US NewEgg with CC/PayPal outside US?

Second question is are GreedFall keys region locked (in this case are there are specific US region locked keys)?

JaseC

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I have few questions first one is can you buy Digital Codes from US NewEgg with CC/PayPal outside US?

Nope. Newegg US accepts only US-based payment methods.

Second question is are GreedFall keys region locked (in this case are there are specific US region locked keys)?

JaseC

Brazil, China, and Russia are the only countries with region-specific retail subs.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

but I really don't think we should let huge tech companies decide for us what is "art" or "fun" or "worthy". If there does exist a mythical place of perfection in-between "anything goes" and "only things rich people think we should play", I hope small amateurish games are still allowed to exist, and I don't mean "amateurish" in the pejorative sense.

okay, which one of you works for PCgamer? just own up already.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Had the fright of my life day today when I went to download the beta branch of Slay the Spire so that I could try out the new character and all my save were missing!

Thank god the beta build and release build are 2 separate things. I honestly don't know if I could ever muster the effort to climb back those ascension ranks if I ever did end up losing my saves.

Edit: Nvm, i have to unlock all that shit again for the beta branch in order to play the new character......fuuuuuuck that. I'll just wait for her to pop up in the regular game.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Had the fright of my life day today when I went to download the beta branch of Slay the Spire so that I could try out the new character and all my save were missing!

Thank god the beta build and release build are 2 separate things. I honestly don't know if I could ever muster the effort to climb back those ascension ranks if I ever did end up losing my saves.

Edit: Nvm, i have to unlock all that shit again for the beta branch in order to play the new character......fuuuuuuck that. I'll just wait for her to pop up in the regular game.

Go into the games directory copy the preferences folder and rename the copy to betapreferences

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I recently finished Life Is Strange season one, and I'm gonna finish up Before The Storm tonight (I bought the deluxe off CDkeys and a day later it went on sale on steam itself lol). I fucking love this series. What's the general opinion on season 2 though? I haven't seen much of it besides a trailer for... episode 4 I think during gamescon I believe. And since it doesn't have Max & Chloe in it, I don't have much of an interest in it right now. But how's the reception for it?

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I recently finished Life Is Strange season one, and I'm gonna finish up Before The Storm tonight (I bought the deluxe off CDkeys and a day later it went on sale on steam itself lol). I fucking love this series. What's the general opinion on season 2 though? I haven't seen much of it besides a trailer for... episode 4 I think during gamescon I believe. And since it doesn't have Max & Chloe in it, I don't have much of an interest in it right now. But how's the reception for it?
It's not as fantastic, and the technical issues and release schedule are annoying, but the story, characters and all that are still good. You can and should play the teaser game before jumping into season 2:

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
It's not as fantastic, and the technical issues and release schedule are annoying, but the story, characters and all that are still good. You can and should play the teaser game before jumping into season 2:

What are some of the tech issues with it? In before the storm my trigger buttons don't work on my controller so I can't run or check objective because of that lol. But besides that it runs fine. And since they're already at episode 4, I'll just wait till all eps are out anyway so release schedule won't matter that much for me.

I'll play the teaser for sure yea. I'm mostly just sad we're moving to different characters. Though I understand why.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I'm playing Darksiders 3 and I don't understand why the checkpoints placements suck so much. I'm playing it on Story Mode just because I want to deal with it as quickly as possible, but it happens to die from time to time like in the section full of traps, and having to do a whole platforming section is just pointless.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Darksiders 3 and I don't understand why the checkpoints placements suck so much. I'm playing it on Story Mode just because I want to deal with it as quickly as possible, but it happens to die from time to time like in the section full of traps, and having to do a whole platforming section is just pointless.

Hot take: this gen, we got easy record functionality, next gen should have universal rewind functionality. Also suspend/resume on PC. Durante pls!

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing Celeste Farewell after months of not touching it was probably a bad idea. It is a lot more demanding than the base game so far as well. (excluding B and C sides)

Status
Not open for further replies.