• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
So, I'm officially jobless since this moment, finally tons of time to finish the backlog! Hopefully, I won't stay for long like this though, but finding a job of the 3D artist without rich portfolio is a pain in the ass and no one cares that I was working for 3 years under NDA projects and simply can't show 90% of my work. Well, unlimited time for backlog and creativity in improving portfolio doesn't sound that bad though... Just need to figure out how to get money to pay bills, considering how fucked up situation with receiving payments online in my country. Anyway, fun times ahead!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
So, I'm officially jobless since this moment, finally tons of time to finish the backlog! Hopefully, I won't stay for long like this though, but finding a job of the 3D artist without rich portfolio is a pain in the ass and no one cares that I was working for 3 years under NDA projects and simply can't show 90% of my work. Well, unlimited time for backlog and creativity in improving portfolio doesn't sound that bad though... Just need to figure out how to get money to pay bills, considering how fucked up situation with receiving payments online in my country. Anyway, fun times ahead!

Sucks! Hope you'll get a new job soon.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Played Gears 5 all day yesterday. Aside from a bit of stutter at the start of a couple cutscenes, the game looks great.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
After FFXV seeing something as good as FFVIIR warms my heart. Hopefully the game will cover more than the Midgar section.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It's been like this for years lol.

All marketings prior to release said it was exclusive. Suddenly very close to release announce it as timed exclusive.

Right now the only games like that on my radar are FFVIIR (which I'm kinda curious about, but I'm yet to dip my toe into the Final Fantasy series), and Nioh 2.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Am I weird for thinking that Microsoft's exclusive titles aren't a big deal? A lot of the posts on just how well Gears 5 is doing are surprising for me.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Darksiders 3 is not bad ad I expected, but holy hell it's so dark. And all location are sewers or factories or something similar.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
What are some of the tech issues with it? In before the storm my trigger buttons don't work on my controller so I can't run or check objective because of that lol. But besides that it runs fine. And since they're already at episode 4, I'll just wait till all eps are out anyway so release schedule won't matter that much for me.

I'll play the teaser for sure yea. I'm mostly just sad we're moving to different characters. Though I understand why.
Oh just an unusual amount of bugs and glitches, the episodes already took forever to be released and felt (very) unfinished/rushed in some parts still. One bug ended up wiping my EP2 savegame. I did play on PS4 though and can't speak to the PC version, but often if games on console have issues they're having issues on PC too. I pre-ordered the season and am just gonna wait for it to be finished before I jump back in, hopefully they'll have fixed most of the issues by then.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing GreedFall and i must say that i am more interested in world lore you learn doing quests than story of the quests XD I mean they are intertwine and one leads to other but still i want to learn more about the world than what will happen to characters XD Also even though i use SSD game still hitches now and then at 1080p.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
VHLaTLJ.png

Coincidence?

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
This is a first-world problem for sure, but as I'm relatively new to PC gaming, I'm trying to organize my library as I add new keys and install games from PC subscription services. It feels overwhelming with my 600+ backlog before even counting what I have for PC, so trying to match what I already have across platforms is a challenge.

Going forward, I'm basically trying to shift what I would have bought on my consoles to buying on PC, but the problem is, I already own so many games between XB1X, PS4 Pro, and Switch, particularly games that have already been given out as part of PS+ and GWG. I think my idea is:
  • AAA games on PC
  • Indie games* and Nintendo exclusives on Switch
  • PlayStation exclusives on PS4 Pro ----> not continue PlayStation next-gen
  • Xbox Game Pass games (that are not available on PC) on XB1X ----> not continue Xbox next-gen
Leaving my other platforms (3DS, Vita, etc.) behind. I feel like already have a ton of overlapping games on PC between all of the games I already own on Switch and what has been given out on PS+/GWG. Specifically regarding indie games, I wish there was an easy way for me to catalog what I own across all of the different PC services (Epic, Origin, etc.) and then compare to what I have for other platforms (PS4, Xbox, or Switch) AND tell me if this game is better suited for the Switch for portability reasons. Basically, if I own a game on PC, PS4, and Xbox, I'll default to PC. However, if I also own it on Switch, then it's more challenging to decide.

For example, I already own Slay the Spire on Switch, but I can also install it elsewhere due to Xbox Game Pass on Xbox or PC. Where should I play it? Another example: I also already own Celeste on Switch and PC, but I don't know which platform I should play it on. I mean, I might be forced to uninstall indie games from my Switch and play them on PC anyway because I've already filled up my 512GB microSD card on my Switch and I've barely played 5 games or so on it since buying at launch.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
This is a first-world problem for sure, but as I'm relatively new to PC gaming, I'm trying to organize my library as I add new keys and install games from PC subscription services. It feels overwhelming with my 600+ backlog before even counting what I have for PC, so trying to match what I already have across platforms is a challenge.

Going forward, I'm basically trying to shift what I would have bought on my consoles to buying on PC, but the problem is, I already own so many games between XB1X, PS4 Pro, and Switch, particularly games that have already been given out as part of PS+ and GWG. I think my idea is:
  • AAA games on PC
  • Indie games* and Nintendo exclusives on Switch
  • PlayStation exclusives on PS4 Pro ----> not continue PlayStation next-gen
  • Xbox Game Pass games (that are not available on PC) on XB1X ----> not continue Xbox next-gen
Leaving my other platforms (3DS, Vita, etc.) behind. I feel like already have a ton of overlapping games on PC between all of the games I already own on Switch and what has been given out on PS+/GWG. Specifically regarding indie games, I wish there was an easy way for me to catalog what I own across all of the different PC services (Epic, Origin, etc.) and then compare to what I have for other platforms (PS4, Xbox, or Switch) AND tell me if this game is better suited for the Switch for portability reasons.
GoG Galaxy 2.0 might help you do the first, as you are able to link all your accounts into a single "launcher". It is in beta tho, so you might need someone to give you a key. It also has the possibility of adding console accounts, but I think the reliability of it is quite bad.
About "better suited for Switch", that is always something very subjective, and something your opinion always matters on. In my opinion, it really depends on whether or not you would want to have a worse performing version in specific situations, or if you would be just playing the same games (as you comment on later on).

Another small reminder is that you need to pay an extra for Xbox Game PC, as there are small variations on games availables between PC and XBox.

For example, I already own Slay the Spire on Switch, but I can also install it elsewhere due to Xbox Game Pass on Xbox or PC. Where should I play it? Another example: I also already own Celeste on Switch and PC, but I don't know which platform I should play it on. I mean, I might be forced to uninstall indie games from my Switch and play them on PC anyway because I've already filled up my 512GB microSD card on my Switch and I've barely played 5 games or so on it since buying at launch.
How many games do you have in Switch goddam.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Spiderweb Software's new game Queen's Wish: The Conquerer just surprise launched. I think some folks are getting 20% off coupons for it too--I did.

The Year of the Spider RPG is now.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition is 50% off on PSN, do you think Square will release it eventually on Steam, considering a Win10 version already exist?

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderweb Software's new game Queen's Wish: The Conquerer just surprise launched. I think some folks are getting 20% off coupons for it too--I did.

35$ for an asset flip of an asset flip of an asset flip of an asset flip.

I'm always surprised that it sells enough to make a profit when the games are so barebone in fun factor.
Anyone here a diehard fan of Spidersoft?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

I'm always surprised that it sells enough to make a profit when the games are so barebone in fun factor.
That's a wildly dismissive way to look at Spiderweb's games. They're low budget because it works; Jeff Vogel has talked about this publicly several times.

I like 'em.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Spiderweb is still putting out games huh? I admire their tenacity.

For all of you, an interesting read about how they manage it:

and I assume that PC Gamers article about it is also related to it (due to the crappy looking comment), although it might not be nice to put that as the title of the article:

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017

and I assume that PC Gamers article about it is also related to it (due to the crappy looking comment), although it might not be nice to put that as the title of the article:

https://www.pcgamer.com/spiderweb-softwares-latest-crappy-looking-rpg-is-now-live/
I saw all the articles before and I understand that they keep the costs low.
What amazes me is the dedicated fanbase over decades.

I mean, when your products evolve less than pokemon games... that's something.

Oct 28, 2017

I liked Avernum. Haven't really played any of their other stuff.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Saw Hektor mention it on Twitter but it was a realization for me. This year I bought less indie games not just because I want to tone down my game spending spree and working on the backlog but also because there were more big(ger) budget releases that weren't open-world games with lots of "content". So my budget for games went towards games like Sekiro, Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Plague Tale, etc. instead of indie games. Not to say I didn't buy new indie games but compared to other years it is barely double digit if even that.

Anyone else feeling the same this year?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Saw Hektor mention it on Twitter but it was a realization for me. This year I bought less indie games not just because I want to tone down my game spending spree and working on the backlog but also because there were more big(ger) budget releases that weren't open-world games with lots of "content". So my budget for games went towards games like Sekiro, Resident Evil 2, Kingdom Hearts 3, Plague Tale, etc. instead of indie games. Not to say I didn't buy new indie games but compared to other years it is barely double digit if even that.

Yeah this year has mostly been me catching up on AA(A) releases.

Prey, Dishonored 2, Batman TTS + Enemy Within, Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 2, The Division 2 and a few others. Now I'm sitting on Gears 5 through Game Pass. And I'm afraid Destiny 2 will swallow a lot of time again come October.

So far the only indies I picked up are Dicey Dungeons, Slay the Spire and Environmental Station Alpha, I believe. At the end of the year I might pick up a few things, but if Sekiro gets a nice discount that's what I'll be all over. January-February 2020 is gonna be Iceborne, and then in March I'll be living the good life in Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
I like all of the spiderweb software games because I like the story and idea behind them. I think of them more as big giant interactive books, mostly because of all the reading involved.
Dunno, I just enjoy them for what they are. Not every game has to be crysis.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

Same here. I bought RE2, DMC5, Sekiro, a Plague Tale (still need to beat any of them). There are also some really cheap or free indies from Humblebundle, Epic or Twitch every other week. And free to play or service games with free content like Rainbow Six Siege, Destiny 2 or Apex Legends. Last indie I bought at full price was Cuphead.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
GoG Galaxy 2.0 might help you do the first, as you are able to link all your accounts into a single "launcher". It is in beta tho, so you might need someone to give you a key. It also has the possibility of adding console accounts, but I think the reliability of it is quite bad.
About "better suited for Switch", that is always something very subjective, and something your opinion always matters on. In my opinion, it really depends on whether or not you would want to have a worse performing version in specific situations, or if you would be just playing the same games (as you comment on later on).

Awesome, GoG Galaxy 2.0 is exactly what I'm looking for when it comes to PC game management. I hear a lot about the features of Steam that people like for the community benefits, but I don't care about reviews, achievements, etc. I just want to be able to look at all of my PC games at once to determine which to install, update, not buy because I own already, etc.
Correction, it looks like you still have to use all of the other launchers to play and manage your games, but at least it'll all be in one place.

Hopefully I can get a key somehow since it's in beta...

Another small reminder is that you need to pay an extra for Xbox Game PC, as there are small variations on games availables between PC and XBox.

Oh, I have the Game Pass Ultimate which I believe includes Xbox Game PC, so I should be good on that front.

How many games do you have in Switch goddam.

Way too many :(
I typed out my list of games and I think I'm up to 140 or so (not all are currently installed), but like I said, I have only played a handful of games thus far. I mean, up until a month ago when I converted my entire Switch library to digital, I still had BotW sealed on my shelf since buying it with my Switch at launch. Although, I can blame NBA 2K20 for taking up like 40GBs of space. I just need to finish XC2 (at about 35 hours in) and I'll feel less guilty about playing other Switch games.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017

Not just this year but in the last few years I'd say. I think more console games and in particular more Japanese games being on PC and being of higher quality these days has affected my indie spend. Indies filled that hole for me when Japanese devs were struggling with HD development and western AAA titles in general were leaving me cold. There's definitely been more in that space aimed at me lately which leaves less time to spend elsewhere.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I like all of the spiderweb software games because I like the story and idea behind them. I think of them more as big giant interactive books, mostly because of all the reading involved.
Dunno, I just enjoy them for what they are. Not every game has to be crysis.

Honestly this is the first I'm hearing about this developer, but I'm really digging the lane they chose for themselves and their business model.

Is there any title on Steam that stands out for first-time players?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this is the first I'm hearing about this developer, but I'm really digging the lane they chose for themselves and their business model.

Is there any title on Steam that stands out for first-time players?
I've only completed these two, Avernum and Avadon:

but really, I'd recommend any of them. It's really up to you on which one sounds the most interesting. If you're in the mood for 'em, they're a real blast.

Like, there's a very consistent quality to Spiderweb Software's games--they're all well designed with super sharp writing. I have no doubt Queen's Wish is of similar quality.

Spiderweb Software is a great developer.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Aaron D. The first one that I played personally of their stuff all the way through was:

But yeah Yeah what Hella basically just said, I was pretty much going to suggest Avadon the black Fortress and Avernum Escape from the Pit, they can take you down two entirely different game series essentially and are fun to replay even.

But I will say that the entire geneforge series is insanely good, I watched my dad play that and that's partly why I like most of the stuff so much because of wanting to replay some of the stuff he did/was playing

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, gang.

Noticed the latest Queen's Wish has a demo on the dev's website.

Maybe I'll just give that a whirl.
Actually almost all of their games have demos, just have to go to their page but the Queens wish one had a pretty awesome kickstarter to make it their most "ambitious" one yet in the sense of hiring a lot more outside people and even doing more than reusing the same wolf model from three decades ago

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually almost all of their games have demos, just have to go to their page but the Queens wish one had a pretty awesome kickstarter to make it their most "ambitious" one yet in the sense of hiring a lot more outside people and even doing more than reusing the same wolf model from three decades ago

Well I only briefly touched the demo for Queen's and I really dig what they're going for here. Big fan of "folk art" school of game design.

So it looks like Avernum and Avadon are the two latest trilogies before Queen. Are they pretty similar mechanically and only different is setting/story? Is one more regarded than the other?

I scanned a few early user reviews that said Queen's Wish is pretty ambitious for the dev. Wonder if that would be a good jumping off point?

Status
Not open for further replies.