• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Well I only briefly touched the demo for Queen's and I really dig what they're going for here. Big fan of "folk art" school of game design.

So it looks like Avernum and Avadon are the two latest trilogies before Queen. Are they pretty similar mechanically and only different is setting/story? Is one more regarded than the other?

I scanned a few early user reviews that said Queen's Wish is pretty ambitious for the dev. Wonder if that would be a good jumping off point?
I have a coupon for 20% off queens wish if you want it, I want to get it but I can't afford it at the moment so if you want it

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no way to set a speed limit over 25 in Steam? Other than no limits at all obviously...

Mad

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Spiderweb Software I get to post my favorite thing:

I REALLY REALLY suggest watching it if you have an hour to spare and you want to get inside someones head who has navigated and survived the games industry since the 90s covering pretty much every topic

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

I REALLY REALLY suggest watching it if you have an hour to spare and you want to get inside someones head who has navigated and survived the games industry since the 90s covering pretty much every topic

Love how he steps up for Steam at 27:00, basically saying, "People complain about the cut, but when you have to do all the services they provide yourself, the cut makes a lot more sense."

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Any tips to stop Trails in the Sky FC from crashing? It only crashed every 2-3 hours which I can tolerate. But when I'm approaching the end of the game which has alot of dialogue cutscenes, it started to get real annoying because you have to repeat them.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips to stop Trails in the Sky FC from crashing? It only crashed every 2-3 hours which I can tolerate. But when I'm approaching the end of the game which has alot of dialogue cutscenes, it started to get real annoying because you have to repeat them.

Try DG Voodoo2 its a wrapper for Direct X 8 games that can fix some issues (and improve others). I used it for like every old Falcom port.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Well I only briefly touched the demo for Queen's and I really dig what they're going for here. Big fan of "folk art" school of game design.

So it looks like Avernum and Avadon are the two latest trilogies before Queen. Are they pretty similar mechanically and only different is setting/story? Is one more regarded than the other?

I scanned a few early user reviews that said Queen's Wish is pretty ambitious for the dev. Wonder if that would be a good jumping off point?
Between the two, Avernum and Avadon feel mechanically familiar, but Avadon is more guided while Avernum is more open, IIRC. I wanna say Avadon is also a bit heavier on storytelling. Oh and Avadon has premade companions with dialog of their own while Avernum is a make-your-own-party deal... I think? It's been a while.

I'd say play Avernum just to see the spider cave. It's unforgettable. But if you're up for more of a loreful deep-dive, go for Avadon.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really bummed that Project REsistance is taking money and time that could be spent on a Resident Evil Outbreak reboot. Oh well, it looks somewhat better than Umbrella Corps I guess.

Still hope Capcom reach into the Outbreak bag for next-gen. Maybe after the RE3 remake and they can contract it out too.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for this, had not seen it before.

I really appreciate Jeff and Spiderweb's games. Haven't played all of them, but I loved all three Avernum remasters and Avadon 1, 2 and 3.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Try disabling 3D audio. That's apparently a thing:

Disable 3D audio in your audio card settings. On certain sound cards this isn't compatible with some older games and it will crash whenever positional audio occurs (such as AoE attack effects, in this game's case).

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone seen "profile features limited" before on Steam? (shown on the Steam features, right side of the page) I just noticed it on Himeko Sutori, and I can't figure out why that would be.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen "profile features limited" before on Steam? (shown on the Steam features, right side of the page) I just noticed it on Himeko Sutori, and I can't figure out why that would be.

Yes, it is quite common and a method of choosing what games can have certain features that were exploited by devs. "Profile features limited" means the dev cannot add cards to the game (avoid the card method to make money instead of selling the game), and the achivements are not part of the total % achivement (or total achivement number) (avoid the achivement only games).
A ton of devs complained about it not that long ago because they thought it was like being branded shovelware, even if I didnt really notice that until they pointed it out. The main issue in that case was also that the method to get that out (another algorithm) was glitchy and didnt get all games tho.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Bizarre, lol. Especially for a game that's been out so long (eight months, in Himeko Sutori's case).

Thanks y'all.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bizarre, lol. Especially for a game that's been out so long (eight months, in Himeko Sutori's case).

Thanks y'all.

Well, it has 33 reviews in 8 months. One of the big cornerstones of the program is that it wants to verify users and needs a certain amount, and if it has that many reviews at all, let alone after 8 months, it's gonna be slow going.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Omg the intro for Queen's Wish is so good. You're a royal layabout that's basically kicked out of the castle. There's some great dialog options that let you embrace your totally spoiled upbringing. And no matter what you do, you can't escape the burden the Queen thrusts upon you.

It also has a cool character creator. You can give your character what looks like one of those autosmiles, sorta like this:
FaceApp-Feature-270x151.png

just, the best *chef's kiss*
Well, it has 33 reviews in 8 months. One of the big cornerstones of the program is that it wants to verify users and needs a certain amount, and if it has that many reviews at all, let alone after 8 months, it's gonna be slow going.
That's the nature of Steam, though. Some games get buried.

Their anti-card farming stuff shouldn't get in the way of legitimate games, because otherwise it's just creating a two-tiered Steam ecosystem.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
XcrnBgn.png

Disgusting. I know I am in the minority regarding the depiction of animal cruelty in video games. I cannot stand it for some reason, and do not find the "joke" funny.

This is the third time I have this feeling with gaming news: that Yakuza dude punching a tiger, the Cyberpunk poster featuring a leopard on a leash, and now, let us throw monkeys in the air. The last one is especially bad to me, because it reminds me of that French dude who was sentenced for killing cats by throwing them the furthest in the air, ultimately against walls. Not funny. Who thought we would have a good laugh by re-enacting it in our video games? Leave it to Postal games...

Last edited:

Deleted member 1055

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XcrnBgn.png

Disgusting. I know I am in the minority regarding the depiction of animal cruelty in video games. I cannot stand it for some reason, and do not find the "joke" funny.

This is the third time I have this feeling with gaming news: that Yakuza dude punching a tiger, the Cyberpunk poster featuring a leopard on a leash, and now, let us throw monkeys in the air. The last one is especially bad to me, because it reminds me of that French dude who was sentenced for killing cats by throwing them the furthest in the air, ultimately against walls. Not funny. Who thought we would have a good laugh by re-enacting it in our video games? Leave it to Postal games...

That does seem questionable on its face, but being shot out of a cannon is also a pretty well established comedic trope.

What is the context in the game?
Can you shoot yourself out of a cannon without harm?
And how does the pet respond to being propelled in this manner?

If shooting yourself out of a cannon is (for example) established as a normal way of transporting yourself in the game and if the pets are not distraught or harmed by being treated in this manner, then I don't think that I have a problem with this. But if it is only done to pets or if pets are distraught (as seem to be the case from the still) or harmed by this, then it seems like a pretty shitty addition to the game for the reasons you outline.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Violence against animals bothers me in certain games, but in Sea of Thieves case it strikes me as OK. Mostly because that game's whole vibe is kinda campy while also being friendly--it's doesn't feel cruel. Sea of Thieves is the sort of game where you can shoot yourself out of a cannon.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
There is nothing questionable about harming animals in games any more than there is about harming humans

Sure. However, how often does it happen that devs specifically design, model and animate with great care sequences in which the player has to harm defenceless human beings? The GTA games, including the torture scene. The Call of Duty game with the airport scene. The Postal games. I cannot think of many more games. The rest of the violent games are about soldiers/people with guns fighting each other, not the player abusing a being without any capacity to retaliate, like an animal, a child, or a weaker human being in general.

In multiplayer games, there is this unwritten agreement between players that it is a game and everyone is here to attack each other. So, I can accept that.

In open-world single-player games, I see it as an edge case allowed by some emergent gameplay. If the player attacks other people in Skyrim, there are combat animations. It is not specifically designed or animated. It does not bother me as much.

Honestly, I am flabbergasted to see that kind of stuff in Sea of Thieves, especially with what seems to be a lot of care and polish from the devs.

Edit: I like how it is done in Zelda 64: the player can try to attack the chicken, there is no special animation or reward which would entice the player to do it more, the chicken do not die, and once the harm is beyond a threshold, all the chicken retaliate in such a way that it is game over if the player does not manage to flee. This way, the player experiments twice or three times, and then moves on after he learnt his lesson. In Elder Scrolls games, you can get arrested for behaving like a moron attacking civilians. That is also a good in-game mechanic to deter the player from doing stupid stuff without forbidding anything. The dev cares about edge case scenarios and polish them, but in a good way.

If shooting yourself out of a cannon is (for example) established as a normal way of transporting yourself in the game

I did not think of that possibility. I could see that happening in some kind of cartoony joke.

If cannons are means of transportation for players as well, it changes a bit my view regarding this game.

Last edited:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
There is nothing questionable about harming animals in games any more than there is about harming humans

I don't completely agree with this as I believe there is nuance to the difference in how animals and humans are perceived in terms of innocence. As a cheap easy example, nobody feels bad for killing the Nazis in Wolfenstein 3D, but there was a bit of a hubbub about killing the dogs. While many would argue killing the dogs is certainly no more of a moral problem than killing the humans, we can ascribe intent on the humans as we know they are evil nazis who understand what they're doing. However, dogs are in a true and genuine way only a loyal animal could be, just following orders. You could imagine somebody might consider animals more innocent than human characters due to their inability to understand what is they're doing on a grand scale.

So, some people in Sea of Thieves don't worry about the comical idea of pirates blasting themselves out of cannons at each other by choice, but do see issues with the concept of forcing an ignorant and innocent animal to do it. Perhaps it reminds one of the concept of forced animal circus performances which for centuries was the cause of much animal abuse. Maybe this negligent use of animal armament is a cultural remnant of a time we viewed animals as even more disposable than we do now. While I empathise with the worry, I think the over the top cartoon violence aesthetic stops it from dampening my mood. These posts do get me thinking at least.

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a humble bundle gift link of Kingdom Come Deliverance. I forgot I was subbed to humble that's why I have it :O

I know I technically already paid for it but I don't play or support anything from this the dev.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. However, how often does it happen that devs specifically design, model and animate with great care sequences in which the player has to harm defenceless human beings? The GTA games, including the torture scene. The Call of Duty game with the airport scene. The Postal games. I cannot think of many more games. The rest of the violent games are about soldiers/people with guns fighting each other, not the player abusing a being without any capacity to retaliate, like an animal, a child, or a weaker human being in general.

In multiplayer games, there is this unwritten agreement between players that it is a game and everyone is here to attack each other. So, I can accept that.

In open-world single-player games, I see it as an edge case allowed by some emergent gameplay. If the player attacks other people in Skyrim, there are combat animations. It is not specifically designed or animated. It does not bother me as much.

Honestly, I am flabbergasted to see that kind of stuff in Sea of Thieves, especially with what seems to be a lot of care and polish from the devs.

I did not think of that possibility. I could see that happening in some kind of cartoony joke.

If cannons are means of transportation for players as well, it changes a bit my view regarding this game.

You could shoot people from cannons since day 1 if I remember correctly.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I don't completely agree with this as I believe there is nuance to the difference in how animals and humans are perceived in terms of innocence. As a cheap easy example, nobody feels bad for killing the Nazis in Wolfenstein 3D, but there was a bit of a hubbub about killing the dogs. While many would argue killing the dogs is certainly no more of a moral problem than killing the humans, we can ascribe intent on the humans as we know they are evil nazis who understand what they're doing. However, dogs are in a true and genuine way only a loyal animal could be, just following orders. You could imagine somebody might consider animals more innocent than human characters due to their inability to understand what is they're doing on a grand scale.

While what you're saying isn't wrong, i think it's reading the book from the back.
It's true that it's more accaptible to murder nazis in games than, let's say, innocent Children.
But the thing is that no one kills nazis in videogames because they are evil people.
People kill nazis in Videogames because they enjoy the power fantasy of killing people.
The People being nazis (or demons, or Zombies) is just a convenient framing so players won't have to think or feel bad about their desire for a murderous power Fantasy.

Now of course you're right that that is a difference in perception, but i have to disagree that one is more right or wrong than the other because the actual intent is always the same of a powerfantasy, using nazis is just trying to preempt feelings of doubt about the desire, because afterall "only a dead nazi is a good nazi" and thus you won't have to feel bad about that desire.

I'm going to refer to the above, just replace nazis with "beings capable of retaliating".

It's not like enemies capable of retaliating ever have a realistic chance of fighting for their survival against the player.
The entire reason enemies in videogames generally have guns or other weaponry is to specifcy a power fantasy happening within combat scenarios inspired by real world Events, and to further challenge the player because a power fantasy feels all the stronger the more powerful the victim is.

But ultimately, the average videogame enemies capabilities to defend themselfs is also just a farce created to empower the player, no different than the monkeys in sea of thieves. They are a different kind of power fantasy, specifically to create a comedic tone in this case as i understand, but a powerfantasy of harming others all the same.

Endruen

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
XcrnBgn.png

You can shoot yourself and other players from cannons without any issue (except for fall damage), it's a transportation method widely used to get to an island without crashing your ship in it or reaching high places. It's just cartoon logic.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought the Super Deluxe Edition of BL3 via redeeming keys. How do I confirm that the add-on/DLC is activated/linked to my account? I didn't see a section for it in the Epic Games Launcher.

EDIT: Found it, I had to go into the account history via the browser and I see it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.