• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
The longer i've been gaming, the more i fall in love with PC's. As of late, the PC space has been so good, and i've enjoyed it so much that i'm wondering why more enthusiast gamers aren't doing it. A few reasons why i find it awesome:

- Options Galore (controller type, resolution/FPS target, community mods, VRR)
- Unmatched Games Library
- Emulators (BOTW @4k is just wow)
- Forward Compatibility
- No Service Fee

Just today i played some AC:O, unable to maintain a steady 60FPS. Was able to set my computer to 50hz, lock the game to that, and it's been smooth sailing since. What's not to love about being able to do that!

The scope of this thread is of course outside of exclusives on consoles... nor am i suggesting that you only game on PC -- rather, it's definitely something enthusiast gamers should consider as a supplement or part of their arsenal.

So why haven't you jumped in?

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Too much money and hassle, for what seem like negligable benefits. I already have both consoles. With rare exception, I'm playing everything I want to play.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
I dont want to have to tinker with settings. I dont have the money for a good setup. I prefer the ease of consoles.

witty_mittie3

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Money. Currently in my senior year of University, and I'm paying everything out of pocket with a scholarship paying part of it. Staying online to cut down costs, but it's still very pricey.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Money here too. I do all my PC gaming on a Thinkpad X230 (lol) which can run a surprising amount of things. I'm more interested in PC exclusive titles and have zero interest in max graphical fidelity though, so any "budget build" would be enough for me. I'd never splurge on top of the line GPUs and such.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PC gaming is amazing if you have money,time and no stress on life i think.

I play pc games times to times in my life but if i want serious gaming i pick console those periods. Also most games have incredibly small player base on PC , genres i like to play. Fighting games, co-op games(AAA games basically).

Both are cool imo also i don't like getting treated as 2nd class citizen when most games i like doesnt release year later on pc or months.
(red dead 2, spider-man,ffxv,ff7,monster hunter etc)

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I already play games on PC, and some games are good, but I get how the hassle of it all can get to some. It definitely gets to me sometimes.

Halcy Caritas

Oct 26, 2017
I am a PC gamer, but there are legitimate reasons as to why some people wouldn't consistently play on one. For example, while there are fighting games on PC, those who solely play fighting games will find a much much bigger community in the console scene.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it's a pretty bad time to get a gaming PC because of crypto mining driving up GPU prices.

I agree that PC gaming is awesome. But I understand if people don't want to get into it.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to miss all those Sony/Nintendo exclusives. I like to just have a box next to my TV that works, with no hassle. I like that there's some people behind Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. I like that there's a brand, an identity, an history. Press conferences and so on. PC is anonymous, nobody is behind the PC, I cannot identify myself to it since it doesn't have an identity.

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Who says I'm not doing it? Something's gotta make this 1080ti sweat a bit.

I love video games as a whole, and my "man cave" would speak to that, but make no mistake ... PC is my first love. All these other consoles are just mistresses.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair it is really expensive right now. Memory and gpus in particular are out of control due to miners and shortages.

I'll most likely end up getting one of the new gpus early next year so I can complete this build but I'm not looking forward to paying the nvidia premium.

I work all day on my PC, I hate getting home and sit in front of my PC to play.

This is the lamest excuse ever lol. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

I wonder if game devs can't play games because of the PTSD caused by working on them for 80 hours a week.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's why they said they had to sit in front of their PC, you say? Hm, ok.

Maybe they didn't know you can set up a PC to play games similarly to a console setup.
Everyone's setup is different. Everyone knows you can do those things with a PC today, but sometimes...

Yes, but my TV is not on the same room than my PC.

...if this were an old GAF thread, then any moment, someone would drop by to say "Well, did you know about Steam Link?" as the thread starts to stink more and more.

Steamlinks were on sale for under $10...
metal-gear-alert.jpg

---------------

Keep in mind, the only reason I don't talk much about PC on Era is because my honest descriptions of the platform versus other options would make half the people here 200% mad. I fucking LOVE a PC. It's the best platform to play games on in my universe, it's not even close, and it never will be close. It never could be close. PC has too many truly unique exclusives, too many options, too much convenience. I've got all the games I've bought in the last 10 years on this platform in one place, and in an hour, I can be playing any one of them, the way I want to.

Last edited:

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair it is really expensive right now. Memory and gpus in particular are out of control due to miners and shortages.

I'll most likely end up getting one of the new gpus early next year so I can complete this build but I'm not looking forward to paying the nvidia premium.

I wonder if game devs can't play games because of the PTSD caused by working on them for 80 hours a week.

Which ones? Software developers and engine developers are most likely yes.
Artists,designers etc not.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I used to game on both consoles and PC, pretty much equally. As I got older and had less free time, consoles ended up being my focus because they are just EASIER and more accessable. I don't have time to research all the latest updates to video cards and best settings for each individual game. I recognize that gaming on PC is much better than consoles (for all of the reasons you list), it's just the additional effort needed that pushed me away.

Oct 31, 2017

That would actually be far more reasonable, anyway.
The hilarious part of that excuse is that it's literally implying "I'm tired of sitting all day in front of a screen, I very much prefer to sit in front of another screen instead".

amokk0

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a PC to use hardware-accelerated Adobe products, which makes it a gaming capable PC. I thought it'd be so much better than console but the truth is that is isn't the same experience. Kicking back on the couch playing a console game is different than sitting at a desk doing the same thing.

Can I hook the PC up to the TV? Yes, but then it complicates its primary purpose which is to do specific kinds of graphics work.

War3333

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer portable gaming, and can't play much with my limited time so wouldn't really lose time tinkering around with streaming options.
Maybe in the future i will return to PC gaming but not now.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
At the moment the issue is literally money as GPU's are at a premium and ram prices are stupid. Another factor is location of PC versus television but I do agree PC is an amazing platform that more people should embrace if they are even remotely interested in it. I stream to my tv but not everyone can do that.

Oct 28, 2017
mainly play japanese games and while many are coming to pc on console i'm sure all of them will arrive. also console is more pratical to me

Involution

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I love PC gaming. I just won a free copy of hollow knight today.

But I like consoles too lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.