• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
PC was the second largest audience for Monster Hunter World.

That's according to Capcom's EMEA and UK marketing director Antoine Molant, who told PCGamesInsider.biz that as a result, this is an "incredibly important market" for the Japanese publishing giant.

Molant didn't say which platform PC was second to, but given that Monster Hunter is very popular in Japan - and has done well for itself in the West with this latest release - we'd bet big money that PlayStation 4 was behind the lion's share. We'd imagine that PC comes in ahead of Xbox One, too, due to that platform's extremely low sales in Japan.

"Without getting into details, it's the second biggest one for Monster Hunter World amongst all platforms, therefore incredibly important," Molant told PCGamesInsider.biz.

Pressed as to how Monster Hunter's PC debut helped Worlds' overall performance, Molant said that the game saw a greater level of success in Europe in particular off the back of this Steam release.

"It helped a lot boosting the overall performance," he said.

"While we always try to treat our various audiences the same way, the Monster Hunter World console versions were the lead platforms, and PC had to be released at a later date. This actually helped as the PC version has had its own window for promotion, PR, marketing. Some countries like Germany or Russia also performed extremely well on the PC front. All of this really increased our success in Europe."

That's impressive for a 9 months old port.

Source

Oct 25, 2017
But not big enough to get the expansion on release
giphy.gif

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
I'd argue that PC is the biggest platform for this game if you just look at the currently active players. You see about a 50/45/5 split of PC/PS4/Xbox in the biggest parts of the community. It is probably even more clear if you just look at twitch numbers where roughly 60% is PC and 40% is PS4. Oh and one guy is streaming on Xbox.

Time to release all the missing content, Capcom.

We are still missing:
AT Zorah
AT Xeno
AT Kulve (even though all the files and all the weapons are already in the game and you can unlock them with mods)
Witcher Event
(AT Nergi)
SFV Collab Challenge quests and armor

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Makes sense, I think the growth from September on was facilitated mostly by PC. Consider that all of Japan's sales were for PS4, and that elsewhere worldwide split between consoles also favoured PS4 noticeably, and then it makes sense that PC, which is probably around 3M, contributed the second most to the total sales.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Capcom, here's a little secret:
You can make even more sales by releasing day and date.
And if you have crossplay ? Well damn more money.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
Wish the could push PC a bit more, knowing there may be a large support window (Woldn't mind getting more expansions instead of just starting all over again with a sequel) I wish we could start getting the content sooner and also some performance optimizations...

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
For MHW indeed, but rest of the games from Capcom have been great, dunno why.

The MH team didn't want to outsource the PC port and they wanted to work, for the first ever, on a PC version.

Other games from Capcom Division 1 are day and date on PC because the whole version already made several PC versions in the past, MH Division never made a PC version until MHW. The MH Online games for China and Korea were all outsourced.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I mean, those games don't sell well on xbox so it was predictable...

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom: Ah whatever, just give them something. At least we can say we tried.

PC community buys it, even Germany stops playing farming simulator for a while.

Capcom:
surprisedpickachujpegkok1g.jpg

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Since the game was only released on 3 different platforms it's not really surprising to see pc at second. Or did anyone really expect Xbox 1 to be the second largest audience?

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I'd argue that PC is the biggest platform for this game if you just look at the currently active players. You see about a 50/45/5 split of PC/PS4/Xbox in the biggest parts of the community. It is probably even more clear if you just look at twitch numbers where roughly 60% is PC and 40% is PS4. Oh and one guy is streaming on Xbox.

Time to release all the missing content, Capcom.

We are still missing:
AT Zorah
AT Xeno
AT Kulve (even though all the files and all the weapons are already in the game and you can unlock them with mods)
Witcher Event
(AT Nergi)
SFV Collab Challenge quests and armor

You were just told by someone at Capcom that pc was the second biggest platform, yet you decide to use "Twitch numbers" to argue that it's the biggest? Monster Hunter World was Capcom's best selling game ever before it hit pc. Weird place to try and take the discussion.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
I bought both the PS4, PC versions and the steam version is objectively better than PS4. I just wish they'd sort out the event/dlc schedule to match console. This is even more important now that its such a huge chunk of sales.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
You were just told by someone at Capcom that pc was the second biggest platform, yet you decide to use "Twitch numbers" to argue that it's the biggest? Monster Hunter World was Capcom's best selling game ever before it hit pc. Weird place to try and take the discussion.

You think they were talking about currently active players? They always talk about sales numbers. Of course it sold best on PS4. But I doubt the PS4 playerbase is still the most active after over 1 year.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing!

Xbox one is probably third best selling.

Fuck, 3rd best is not that bad too. I mean, Xbox has never had a MH game before and a good majority of sales are from Japan for MH world.

So third best platform? Damn good.

And pc at second? I still can't believe it.
How the heck did that happen?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
PC support for this game has been an absolute joke. The fact that they had to patch in ultrawide support 7 months after launch tells you everything you need to know.

It's sad because I'm genuinely having fun with this game, playing with friends has been an absolute blast and I really want to support the game but it feels Capcom is focused on the PS4/XBO market first and foremost.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing!

Xbox one is probably third best selling.

Fuck, 3rd best is not that bad too. I mean, Xbox has never had a MH game before and a good majority of sales are from Japan for MH world.

So third best platform? Damn good.

And pc at second? I still can't believe it.
How the heck did that happen?

Eh, not sure if ironic and dont want to sound rude but... 3rd best out of 3rd.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Part of me thinks the PC delays on the content and such are engine related since it looks like RE2 and DMCV's releases and DLC plans are day and date

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The MH team didn't want to outsource the PC port and they wanted to work, for the first ever, on a PC version.

Other games from Capcom Division 1 are day and date on PC because the whole version already made several PC versions in the past, MH Division never made a PC version until MHW. The MH Online games for China and Korea were all outsourced.

Looks like your avatar is wearing an eye patch

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

That's cool and all, but they honestly should have just handed the reins to QLOC or something.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I see people saying the expansion won't come out day and date on PC but as far as I could tell that hasn't been confirmed? It's certainly not unsafe to assume due to there still being missing content, but it was never confirmed one way or the other from what I can find. So who knows, clinging to a bubble of optimism but unless someone has an article stating otherwise then I'll keep clinging.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
How far behind is the PC expansion? I'm thinking of buying the whole bundle on PC and playing through the game again. But if it's more than 3 months, I'll probably just get the expansion on PS4. Hopefully this news gives them justification to do a PC version on day 1 for future games.

The PC version is the only way to play MHW local and portable via gaming laptop. I think there were probably some old fans looking for that classic local experience.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I see people saying the expansion won't come out day and date on PC but as far as I could tell that hasn't been confirmed? It's certainly not unsafe to assume due to there still being missing content, but it was never confirmed one way or the other from what I can find. So who knows, clinging to a bubble of optimism but unless someone has an article stating otherwise then I'll keep clinging.
They announced Iceborne was coming Fall 2019 for consoles and at a later date for PC when it was first revealed. People aren't pulling that out of thin air.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks the PC delays on the content and such are engine related since it looks like RE2 and DMCV's releases and DLC plans are day and date

+1 to this. I don't think MT Framework had any notable same-date PC releases barring Remasters.

I'm 80% sure that if MH6 is on RE Engine it'll come out the same day on PC with updates in sync.