• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Right, I knew I forgot to mention something.
Crash at 1440p, Anno at 1080p.

Have you dropped the AA on Anno? That's a real performance killer (based on what I read anyway). But also, as with many of these games, the bigger your cities get and the longer the game drags on, the worse performance gets. I haven't played 1800 on my system, but other similar games do tend to get framey depending on city size and such.

Crash should be performing better, I'd think. Benchmarks have the 1060 doing at least 20% higher numbers. Don't know what the issue could be though. Might want to monitor system usage to check for anything atypical, e.g. low GPU usage.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Anno 1800 don't like Ryzen CPUs much:

Generally, when I see someone with Ryzen having performance issues my first guess is the CPU limitation.

At least there's an explanation then, however much it sucks. Ah well, thank you.

Have you dropped the AA on Anno? That's a real performance killer (based on what I read anyway). But also, as with many of these games, the bigger your cities get and the longer the game drags on, the worse performance gets. I haven't played 1800 on my system, but other similar games do tend to get framey depending on city size and such.

Crash should be performing better, I'd think. Benchmarks have the 1060 doing at least 20% higher numbers. Don't know what the issue could be though. Might want to monitor system usage to check for anything atypical, e.g. low GPU usage.

I have been tinkering with settings, not sure if I tried turning down AA. Will try that when I'm home, thanks.

Oct 30, 2017
You could try disabling hardware acceleration, if that stops the tearing it's probably got to do with your GPU/GPU driver. Are you using the latest driver?
The first day that it started I tried toggling hardware acceleration without any luck. Also updated the driver that day, too. Turning off smooth scrolling did eliminate it during scrolling, which makes sense since there is less motion during a scroll.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a CPL adapter in order to improve my ping/connection (I have a PC in my study and my router in my living room) over WiFi, any recommendations ? (I'm in Europe). Thanks !

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to get multiple excel windows in the same instance of excel 2010?

It's just insane that this doesn't work all my books are open in the same window and I can only have them side by side within one excel window which means I can't have one book open on one screen and the second on the other one.

I know the "solution" I see everywhere is to just open up more excel instances and voila, but no one seems to be bothered that this way I can't use functions and formulas by just clicking fields in the different workbook because they are all running in their own separate excel instance. This does work if all workbooks are in the same instance but then I have the other problem again, either way you lose.

Does anyone have a solution?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Been having an issue where sometimes when I start my PC, I get a black screen. A restart via the button on my tower has it start like normal 100%of the time. I never get a black screen twice in a row. Any ideas?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Been having an issue where sometimes when I start my PC, I get a black screen. A restart via the button on my tower has it start like normal 100%of the time. I never get a black screen twice in a row. Any ideas?
Same problem for me, anyone has any idea ?
Do you have fast startup on in power settings? Try turning it off. Also could try turning off hybernation and whatever sleep options you have active.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know why me downloading games off the Microsoft Store causes all my other devices like my TV, phones, etc to lose internet connectivity via wifi? Actually , it's not just the Microsoft Store. I noticed the same behavior while my Xbox One is downloading a game. Anything else downloading like Steam or normal browser downloads does not kill wifi to other devices.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know why me downloading games off the Microsoft Store causes all my other devices like my TV, phones, etc to lose internet connectivity via wifi? Actually , it's not just the Microsoft Store. I noticed the same behavior while my Xbox One is downloading a game. Anything else downloading like Steam or normal browser downloads does not kill wifi to other devices.
WinStore downloader tends to open a lot (like hundreds) of connections and this will kill your router if it's not fast enough. Same is probably true for Xbox downloader.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Since I updated W10 to 1903 my PC won't automatically go to sleep.

It's driven my crazy enough to do a fresh install and it STILL won't automatically go to sleep. I've tried every guide on the internet to try and figure it out.

Using "powercfg -requests" shows nothing that is keeping it awake. If I do a manual standby it goes to sleep no problem.

What the hell is keeping my PC awake!?

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Since I updated W10 to 1903 my PC won't automatically go to sleep.

It's driven my crazy enough to do a fresh install and it STILL won't automatically go to sleep. I've tried every guide on the internet to try and figure it out.

Using "powercfg -requests" shows nothing that is keeping it awake. If I do a manual standby it goes to sleep no problem.

What the hell is keeping my PC awake!?
I saw this topic bumped and went "I should probably ask about my PC not going to sleep since 1903" hahaha. So you're not alone.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I saw this topic bumped and went "I should probably ask about my PC not going to sleep since 1903" hahaha. So you're not alone.
Ah good to know I'm not alone. Can't find it being discussed (in relation specifically to 1903) anywhere else.

Out of interest, do you have the new Xbox beta app installed for Game Pass? I wondering whether it could be related to that.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Ah good to know I'm not alone. Can't find it being discussed (in relation specifically to 1903) anywhere else.

Out of interest, do you have the new Xbox beta app installed for Game Pass? I wondering whether it could be related to that.

I can't check at the moment and it wouldn't be a fix but just a workaround though maybe there's a "When inactive for X minutes" trigger in Task Scheduler? That way you two could setup a automatic task to trigger Sleep atleast.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
WinStore downloader tends to open a lot (like hundreds) of connections and this will kill your router if it's not fast enough. Same is probably true for Xbox downloader.
Wait, so this is expected behavior? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have 2 T-Mobile routers flashed back to stock Asus AC68U, the other acting as a repeater.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so this is expected behavior? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I have 2 T-Mobile routers flashed back to stock Asus AC68U, the other acting as a repeater.
As expected as you would assume from any badly designed downloader I guess. You can either try a different router with a faster CPU which will be able to keep up in whatever kills your current router or limit WinStore/Xbox bandwidth somehow to not allow it to fully load your Internet connection - but the second option might not help if the issue is in fact in the number of active connections.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

What's a sizable upgrade to my 2014 Radeon 290 4gb?

Looking to make the switch to Nvidia.
290 is more or less on par with 1060 6G these days.
So anything from 1070 or 1660 and higher will be faster.
A sizeable upgrade would be a 2060/1070 or 2070/1080.
You should also wait till Radeon 5700 goes on sale on 7th Jul - they should provide an alternative to either 2060 or 2070.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Hmm I see that makes sense I suppose. Hopefully Microsoft patches it eventually.
Indeed. It's not a major issue as I usually put my gaming PC to sleep after use, but occasionally I might forget, or leave it on to download something. And I'm concerned that (along with update wake up timers) it could end up staying on for several days without my noticing if I go away etc, gobbling up electricity.

So as an interim fix I've set the PC to go to sleep regardless at 3AM every night, so it'll never been left on for longer than 24 hours at least.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
What the fuck am I missing with the i3 8100 stock cooler's installation? I can't get the fucking screws to screw in, they've got this weird spring contraption that I can't figure out.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. It's not a major issue as I usually put my gaming PC to sleep after use, but occasionally I might forget, or leave it on to download something. And I'm concerned that (along with update wake up timers) it could end up staying on for several days without my noticing if I go away etc, gobbling up electricity.

So as an interim fix I've set the PC to go to sleep regardless at 3AM every night, so it'll never been left on for longer than 24 hours at least.

That sounds like a plan yeah. You can also set the Power Button to trigger sleep so whenever you walk away from the desk you can quickly trigger sleep manually atleast.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah that's the only thing really new outside of the update that I've installed. But I haven't even launched it the past couple of days. Wonder if it's running on startup in the background

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck am I missing with the i3 8100 stock cooler's installation? I can't get the fucking screws to screw in, they've got this weird spring contraption that I can't figure out.
Like this one?

hpit-443_hpit_443_05_800x800.jpg

You don't screw them in, you push them thorough and then rotate the plastic caps to fix it in place.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Can I pick unbuffered RAM for my upcoming Ryzen 3700X build?

I am not too sure I understand the difference correctly, but I want to buy 32GB (2x16) 3200MHZ RAM and I can choose between buffered and unbuffered. It seems that the unbuffered directly go to the memory controller in the CPU? and the buffered ones have some sort of error correction at handling the data?

How does this translate to a normal gaming system I want to build?

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Freesync question: does the minimum Hz range of a freesync monitor matter if the monitor already has LFC? Like, does it matter if a monitor is 30-144Hz or 48-144Hz at that point? Would it affect input lag if LFC is active? I always got the idea that a higher Hz, even at a low fps, would have better input lag than low fps at the same Hz. Which would mean, for example, that 45 fps @ 90Hz with LFC would feel better than 45 fps @ 45 Hz. Is that actually correct?

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Anyone here ever run into an issue where if iCUE (Corsair's software) is running you get massive lag when moving your mouse? Close iCUE and problem goes away.

Seems to be random, some times it's fine, some times it has issues.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone here ever run into an issue where if iCUE (Corsair's software) is running you get massive lag when moving your mouse? Close iCUE and problem goes away.

Seems to be random, some times it's fine, some times it has issues.
If you google ''icue lag'' there are plenty of other people experiencing the same, so it's not just you.

Personally i never buy PC accessories that require third party software to function properly. Plug and play is where it's at.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Freesync question: does the minimum Hz range of a freesync monitor matter if the monitor already has LFC? Like, does it matter if a monitor is 30-144Hz or 48-144Hz at that point? Would it affect input lag if LFC is active? I always got the idea that a higher Hz, even at a low fps, would have better input lag than low fps at the same Hz. Which would mean, for example, that 45 fps @ 90Hz with LFC would feel better than 45 fps @ 45 Hz. Is that actually correct?
Frames will be doubled at 90 Hz anyway and thus the lag will be the same as on 45. It doesn't matter much I'd say.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Are there any drawbacks (other than financial) to upgrading from a 1080ti to an RTX2080ti? My CPU is a core i7 8700k and I have 32 GB of RAM.

I did this bottleneck calculator but I am not sure how exactly to interpret the results...
Screenshot-20190619-164541-Chrome.jpg

Drakhoran

Jun 7, 2018
Scandinavia
Only drawback (other than price) I can think of is that the 2080 Ti needs considerably more power than a 1080 Ti. It's almost as power hungry as a Vega 64. This really shouldn't matter much as long as you buy a card with a cooler designed to handle the load without sounding like a jet engine.

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Only drawback (other than price) I can think of is that the 2080 Ti needs considerably more power than a 1080 Ti. It's almost as power hungry as a Vega 64. This really shouldn't matter much as long as you buy a card with a cooler designed to handle the load without sounding like a jet engine.
Thanks. I am pretty sure my case and fan system can handle it. And the card has pretty much the same form factor as the 1080ti. I wish I knew more about PCs... But I think my psu can handle it too, and the case has fan on the front and the back.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Third thread where I'm trying to get support for a current issue. I was told this one was pretty helpful so here's hoping.

Long story short: I'm on version 1803 of Windows 10 and have been trying to update to the latest version so I can use Gamepass. Every time my PC restarts and does the update process I get an error message along with this error code: 0xc1900101

Looking at my update history gives me another error code as the source of the problem: 0xc0000005

I've tried looking up several solutions but haven't found one to fix this yet. Please help me.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I've had some problems with Steam the last year or so and maybe you guys can help me. If not, then these are just complaints.

1) Updating games on Steam is now a pain in the ass. I log into the client, and I see there are 4 games that need updates. They don't start updating immediately, I have to go click them and force them to do it one at a time. If you click a second one I think it stops the first one so you have to think about the order if you want certain games updated first. Sure, they say they would update automatically at some future time (i.e. tomorrow morning at 4AM or something) but that assumes I leave my gaming PC on all the time which I don't, and even if I did I don't leave clients running in the background for no reason.

2) Updating games on Steam sometimes takes freaking forever, even for small updates. I'll have a 2GB update for a game. The download is finished in 1 minute, but then the client just sits there and chugs for 5 minutes before it will download anything else. I realize that it's probably packing and unpacking files but this process seems really slow for a fairly high-end system.

3) Sometimes I'll login and there will be 15 games that need updates, but then when you click their individual buttons they almost immediately go to "Ready to play" as if it was just a pointless exercise.

The thing is, Steam used to download games automatically on login, it used to not take nearly so long, and I never got these phantom updates. Did they just change things for the worse or is there something I need to do, like wipe out some folder or something?

Thanks!

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Third thread where I'm trying to get support for a current issue. I was told this one was pretty helpful so here's hoping.

Long story short: I'm on version 1803 of Windows 10 and have been trying to update to the latest version so I can use Gamepass. Every time my PC restarts and does the update process I get an error message along with this error code: 0xc1900101

Looking at my update history gives me another error code as the source of the problem: 0xc0000005

I've tried looking up several solutions but haven't found one to fix this yet. Please help me.

Are you upgrading through Windows Update? Errors can be difficult to find or outright hidden going that route. If you create a bootable USB with the 1903 iso using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, if it still fails, it will place a log file explaining why at least in the cases of incompatible drivers or programs, which is often the cause of a reboot/rollback during Windows 10 upgrade.

I had a similar issue and used this to figure it out: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ications/84822c03-b487-438e-8f4f-75d94a779edf

Hopefully that helps.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I've had some problems with Steam the last year or so and maybe you guys can help me. If not, then these are just complaints.

1) Updating games on Steam is now a pain in the ass. I log into the client, and I see there are 4 games that need updates. They don't start updating immediately, I have to go click them and force them to do it one at a time. If you click a second one I think it stops the first one so you have to think about the order if you want certain games updated first. Sure, they say they would update automatically at some future time (i.e. tomorrow morning at 4AM or something) but that assumes I leave my gaming PC on all the time which I don't, and even if I did I don't leave clients running in the background for no reason.

2) Updating games on Steam sometimes takes freaking forever, even for small updates. I'll have a 2GB update for a game. The download is finished in 1 minute, but then the client just sits there and chugs for 5 minutes before it will download anything else. I realize that it's probably packing and unpacking files but this process seems really slow for a fairly high-end system.

3) Sometimes I'll login and there will be 15 games that need updates, but then when you click their individual buttons they almost immediately go to "Ready to play" as if it was just a pointless exercise.

The thing is, Steam used to download games automatically on login, it used to not take nearly so long, and I never got these phantom updates. Did they just change things for the worse or is there something I need to do, like wipe out some folder or something?

Thanks!

I'll try to answer as good as I can:

1) Yeah that's a bit weird but let's say it says "Update Scheduled for 4am" and your PC is off at that time, Steam will automatically update the game right-away the next time it launches after the time has passed.

2) That's mostly due to engines like UE4 and Frostbite, at that step Steam is "installing" the update, meaning it has to unpack and repack huge files depending on the game. It's not Steam's fault but mostly the fault of excessive filesizes and slow storage-mediums for games. The same happens in Origin with Battlefield too for example or even on the PS4 when it's at the "Copying..." step for updates.

3) Yeah these phantom-updates happen sometimes, I have no clue about that but they are harmless and have no negative side-effects.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!

To add to the above post:

1) I seem to recall something about Steam basically specifying a time based on server loads at certain times-of-day. You could maybe try changing your download region (Steam > Settings > Downloads > Download Region) and seeing if it alters the auto-download time.

2) Skyfireblaze has this entirely right, but I will add that I believe the process can be sped-up if the offending games are on an SSD, since I think the reason it chugs so much is partly down to mechanical drive read/write speeds.

3) This will probably be Shader Pre-Caching. Check Steam > Settings > Shader Pre-Caching for both a description, and a tick-box that I suspect is on by default.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you upgrading through Windows Update? Errors can be difficult to find or outright hidden going that route. If you create a bootable USB with the 1903 iso using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, if it still fails, it will place a log file explaining why at least in the cases of incompatible drivers or programs, which is often the cause of a reboot/rollback during Windows 10 upgrade.

I had a similar issue and used this to figure it out: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ications/84822c03-b487-438e-8f4f-75d94a779edf

Hopefully that helps.

Unfortunately it didn't. I used the media creation tool to put the update on my USB stick. After the error message this is what I got:

troubleshooter4nnjxs.jpg

It seems either some app, USB device or something else is preventing me from updating. I tried disconnecting all my USB devices (other than my mouse and mechanical keyboard), I tried a clean boot, I tried the method in your link, still can't find a solution.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately it didn't. I used the media creation tool to put the update on my USB stick. After the error message this is what I got:
It seems either some app, USB device or something else is preventing me from updating. I tried disconnecting all my USB devices (other than my mouse and mechanical keyboard), I tried a clean boot, I tried the method in your link, still can't find a solution.

Hmm. Have you checked the log files that were created? Here is a link that shows the paths: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...d-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-window

Ctrl+F within the appropriate log file for FIRST_BOOT and SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE and look for errors that stand out near the end that refer to a specific app or file path, maybe a .dll? These are very big log files, so good luck.

--

It seems I took notes of my upgrade issues... It was something called Battleye, which snuck into an install of one of my games and didn't show up in the remove programs list. I didn't take note of which game, naturally. But here is a list of games that use that anti-cheat software:

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm. Have you checked the log files that were created? Here is a link that shows the paths: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...d-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-window

Ctrl+F within the appropriate log file for FIRST_BOOT and SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE and look for errors that stand out near the end that refer to a specific app or file path, maybe a .dll? These are very big log files, so good luck.

--

It seems I took notes of my upgrade issues... It was something called Battleye, which snuck into an install of one of my games and didn't show up in the remove programs list. I didn't take note of which game, naturally. But here is a list of games that use that anti-cheat software:

Tried checking all the available log files but nothing came up with those CTRL+F terms.

At this point I'm willing to just do a clean reinstall of Windows 10. I've had a lot of garbage software and programs collected over the years so I don't mind a fresh clean do-over....I don't want to lose any of my files or settings if possible, though. Can you recommend the best way to do this?