• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Been having some problems with my PC. First my keyboard was acting a little weird. Random disconnects. As part of the troubleshooting process I uninstalled a number of USB ports, trying to figure out if it had anything to do with their drivers. So, I turned off my PC and wanted to start it up again to get it to reinitialize those USB ports.

Except I couldn't get my PC to boot up anymore. That's the first time I noticed this behavior. It didn't even post. I hear a click, my GPU's logo flashes briefly, the fans begin spinning, and then everything turns off. Light on the motherboard's power button is on. The error display is off though, so no idea what's happening there. The light on my case's power button is on as if the PC itself is also on. Holding down the power button until it turns off and then trying again sometimes works. But usually only power cycling does the trick. Even then, it's not guaranteed.

Strangely, it only does this from a cold boot or when trying to wake from sleep. If I restart my PC, it will just restart properly every time. I'm getting the feeling it might be my PSU? I don't know.

I checked my motherboard and it seems clean. No leaky capacitors or whatever. Memory is properly seated. Doubled checked the power cable from my PSU to my motherboard. Seems fine?

If anyone's got ideas on how to diagnose this, I'd be super thankful.

What motherboard/cpu?

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I want to buy a new SD/micro SD card reader. Does USB 2 and 3 make a difference on write speeds or is that totally dependent on the SD card's write speed? Because I have a USB 2 reader right now.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I asked this in stupid gaming questions and then saw this thread pop up so I'll ask here, too.

I bought my kid a gaming pc for xmas. There appeared to be a plastic bag inside the casing so I took off the cover to remove it. It appears it's permanently affixed and says something about air flow on the bag. I can specify what it says if needed. But is this normal?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in stupid gaming questions and then saw this thread pop up so I'll ask here, too.

I bought my kid a gaming pc for xmas. There appeared to be a plastic bag inside the casing so I took off the cover to remove it. It appears it's permanently affixed and says something about air flow on the bag. I can specify what it says if needed. But is this normal?

That's not something I've ever seen before, do you have a pic or a model of the PC you bought?

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017

That sounds super weird. Maybe it's to protect from dust? It'd be cool if you had a picture and the full text might be helpful.

Drakhoran

Jun 7, 2018
Scandinavia
That looks like packaging material used to keep anything from shaking loose during transport. You definitely need to remove it before using the computer.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That looks like packaging material used to keep anything from shaking loose during transport. You definitely need to remove it before using the computer.
Yup, that's what it was. Foam packaging inside a plastic, sealed bag. It was in there so tight it was hard to move so I didn't know if it was supposed to be removed. I haven't bought a computer in like 15 years so had no idea what it was.

Thanks for all the help everyone and Merry Christmas.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Alright, time for another question. Got everything hooked up on the computer but the monitor is not reading any inputs. It's hooked up to the pc via hdmi and the monitor is on the correct source (I've tried both hdmi slots) and it just keeps popping up with a message about hdmi input inactive. I tried two different hdmi cables and nothing. It's an hp monitor.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Alright, time for another question. Got everything hooked up on the computer but the monitor is not reading any inputs. It's hooked up to the pc via hdmi and the monitor is on the correct source (I've tried both hdmi slots) and it just keeps popping up with a message about hdmi input inactive. I tried two different hdmi cables and nothing. It's an hp monitor.
Any time I have this issue, HDMI or DisplayPort, power cycling the monitor does the trick.

Shut down. Disconnect power from monitor for like 10+ seconds, reconnect, then boot.

Also make sure video cable is plugged into GPU not motherboard. (Unless you're doing integrated graphics and no GPU.)

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any time I have this issue, HDMI or DisplayPort, power cycling the monitor does the trick.

Shut down. Disconnect power from monitor for like 10+ seconds, reconnect, then boot.

Also make sure video cable is plugged into GPU not motherboard. (Unless you're doing integrated graphics and no GPU.)
Power cycling didn't work. I don't know what the GPU or motherboard is. I bought a prebuilt system in hopes I could just plug and play.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I read a few different places that I need to update drivers? I don't know what a driver is and even if I did, how do I update if the monitor doesn't display?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Power cycling didn't work. I don't know what the GPU or motherboard is. I bought a prebuilt system in hopes I could just plug and play.
There should be two different areas in the back of the PC with video ports. One area is the rear motherboard ports, with usb, video, audio, Ethernet, etc. The video card (GPU) is a separate part, and only has video ports (usually HDMI and DisplayPort) and maybe a USB C port. The GPU also has some rear vent holes on it.

you want the HDMI port that's on the GPU.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the easiest way to alternate what monitor you games launch on?

Steam big picture for automatic (needs to be set in steam's BPM settings), and WIN + Shift + Arrow keys for anything that's borderless.

Can also Win + P and set your computer to the second screen only but you'll have to undo that every time after.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have issue where Windows 10 lock screen seem like it stopped working? My PC would go the lock screen slideshow after its been left idle for while., but it seems to have stopped doing that recently. The so called Advance Slideshow Settings is really super basic.

I'm trying to figure out how to set the time for when the lock screen (slideshow) activates when the PC is idle (like after 10 minutes of inactivity, for example). I can't find any options for that — I only settings to turn the screen off during inactivity.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Steam big picture for automatic (needs to be set in steam's BPM settings), and WIN + Shift + Arrow keys for anything that's borderless.

Can also Win + P and set your computer to the second screen only but you'll have to undo that every time after.
I'll have to try it.

My PC is next to my tv. And for certain games I like to play on the TV with a controller, and others at the desk with keyboard and mouse. I just haven't found an easy way to let my pc know which one I want to do.

Dec 5, 2017
What's the best way to get VGA signal out of a modern graphics card? I want to get more into retro gaming and want to get a CRT monitor for playing old DOS games but I'm not sure what the best way to connect it to a modern PC would be. I have a GTX 1080 that only has DP and HDMI for connections.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to get VGA signal out of a modern graphics card? I want to get more into retro gaming and want to get a CRT monitor for playing old DOS games but I'm not sure what the best way to connect it to a modern PC would be. I have a GTX 1080 that only has DP and HDMI for connections.
HDMI to VGA adapter shouldnt be a problem. The problem is the other way around IRC.

It is quite common in my work office with a ton of proyectors still using VGA.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
I am looking at upgrading my dual 22" 1080p 60hz monitors to a samsung chg90 49" but was wondering if my comp will handle it ok?

I have a ryzen 3600, gtx 1660 and 16gb ram 3200mhz.

I know there is a 1440p version of this monitor now but i cant stretch to the asking price. I think this would be a huge upgrade from my dual £120 monitors lol.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Guys I need your help. I think my GPU is dying.

Windows thinks I have the wrong drivers and GPU fans won't spin up.

For the past 24 hours my graphics card has been giving me artifacting issues on my desktop. The visual problem is present even on the BIOS screen. I have tried two PCI slots and both have the same problem.

Windows picks up the display as a Vega RX 56 but provides no information and thinks it is a driver issue.

I have done a clean install of the drivers and it is still the same problem.

I have installed the latest drivers: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2 Recommended (WHQL) released 12/12/19

Is my GPU done-zo?

kh1vA8M.jpg

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I need your help. I think my GPU is dying.

Windows thinks I have the wrong drivers and GPU fans won't spin up.

For the past 24 hours my graphics card has been giving me artifacting issues on my desktop. The visual problem is present even on the BIOS screen. I have tried two PCI slots and both have the same problem.

Windows picks up the display as a Vega RX 56 but provides no information and thinks it is a driver issue.

I have done a clean install of the drivers and it is still the same problem.

I have installed the latest drivers: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2 Recommended (WHQL) released 12/12/19

Is my GPU done-zo?

kh1vA8M.jpg

You could try to use different GPU power-cables from your PSU if yours has two lanes but yeah if it's present on the BIOS screen already and you tried different slots it might be at "You are already dead" levels yeah :(

Jan 21, 2019
Hey everyone, new to PC gaming. Got myself a used on that is quite nice.

Is there a way to turn off the USB ports when the PC shuts down. My laptop did that but my PC keeps powering all USB devices which I dislike since my mood lighting and an USB HDD is hooked to it.

I have an Asus Z170-A motherboard.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
You could try to use different GPU power-cables from your PSU if yours has two lanes but yeah if it's present on the BIOS screen already and you tried different slots it might be at "You are already dead" levels yeah :(
Thanks for the tip. I can give it a go. I don't actually have spares so I'll have to buy some and give it a go. I don't have high hopes though. :(

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tip. I can give it a go. I don't actually have spares so I'll have to buy some and give it a go. I don't have high hopes though. :(

Your PSU doesn't have two GPU-power lanes for SLI/Crossfire? I honestly wouldn't put any money on trying to see if it's the PSU power lane but if you already did, are the cables from the same make and model? That's very important with PSUs! But yeah my condolences :( I hope the cables will help but otherwise I would look if you maybe can get a cheap GPU to tide you over half a year till the new GPUs arrive.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Your PSU doesn't have two GPU-power lanes for SLI/Crossfire? I honestly wouldn't put any money on trying to see if it's the PSU power lane but if you already did, are the cables from the same make and model? That's very important with PSUs! But yeah my condolences :( I hope the cables will help but otherwise I would look if you maybe can get a cheap GPU to tide you over half a year till the new GPUs arrive.
Oh it does but I thought you meant try entirely different cables rather than just moving the lanes. Do you think it's not worth trying cables? I've not ordered any yet.

The GPU is 13 months old which is a bit annoying as the place I got it from only has a 12 month warranty. Waiting to hear direct from the manufacturer to see if I can get anything from them.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it does but I thought you meant try entirely different cables rather than just moving the lanes. Do you think it's not worth trying cables? I've not ordered any yet.

The GPU is 13 months old which is a bit annoying as the place I got it from only has a 12 month warranty. Waiting to hear direct from the manufacturer to see if I can get anything from them.

Ah, yeah just try the second lane, trying a new set of PSU cables won't amount to much as it's unlikely that both lanes are damaged and it's very unlikely it's a PSU issue in the first place. Also I hope they get back positively to you! :)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, new to PC gaming. Got myself a used on that is quite nice.

Is there a way to turn off the USB ports when the PC shuts down. My laptop did that but my PC keeps powering all USB devices which I dislike since my mood lighting and an USB HDD is hooked to it.

I have an Asus Z170-A motherboard.
Check your BIOS settings for something about powering USB ports when shut down. If there's nothing there then the only thing you could do is turn off your PSU - by unplugging it or with a power switch if present.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Everyone. Thinking about doing some upgrading before cyberpunk comes out. I have a 1080 for my GPU, a 6600k cpu with a Z170 mobo and 16 GB DDR4(I think) RAM. I've noticed some issues when I play games and I'm wondering if it's a everything needs upgrades issues or if it's more closely related to my cpu. Anyone have any advice on what I should focus on upgrading and if so, what would be your recommendation? I typically play on a 1440p 144hz monitor, so I'd like to be able to make more use of that if possible.

Thanks!

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Hey Everyone. Thinking about doing some upgrading before cyberpunk comes out. I have a 1080 for my GPU, a 6600k cpu with a Z170 mobo and 16 GB DDR4(I think) RAM. I've noticed some issues when I play games and I'm wondering if it's a everything needs upgrades issues or if it's more closely related to my cpu. Anyone have any advice on what I should focus on upgrading and if so, what would be your recommendation? I typically play on a 1440p 144hz monitor, so I'd like to be able to make more use of that if possible.

Thanks!

Definitely looking at a new CPU when you can.

New intel CPUs soon (possibly before cyberpunk)
3700x is a good option right now if your RAM kit is fast.

What issues have you had specifically in recent games?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely looking at a new CPU when you can.

New intel CPUs soon (possibly before cyberpunk)
3700x is a good option right now if your RAM kit is fast.

What issues have you had specifically in recent games?

The issues are mostly huge frame drops at times, so I assume it's a cpu issue. Comparing my 6600k to more recent CPUs, I feel the disparity helps that point.
Would it be worth getting a 3700X over a 3600X? Some quick searches seem to imply there's not a huge difference, and I'm wondering if the extra $100ish is worth it.

Jan 9, 2018
So I had a prebuilt that I bought a couple years ago
I replaced the gpu with a rtx 2070 and the ram with 32gb ddr4
Cpu is I7-7700k
Mobo is msi b250m
Is there anything that needs replacing for games in 2020 ? I want to do 1440p on cyberpunk and other big titles

Jul 9, 2019
Happy New Year!

What is the best way to connect my pc to a tv?
I'd like to use it for gaming and watching movies I ripped from my Blu Rays.
The pc and tv are in the same room and a few meters apart. The pc has 16 GB RAM and an RX 480 with 8GB. The tv is a Samsung Q70R.
I tried wireless Steam Link (the tv has an app), but the image quality was horrible.
Is Miracast worth the hassle or should I just go with a high-quality HDMI cable? Are there any other options?

Also, what do I need to consider for the settings? Don't worry, I don't expect 4K gaming with my RX 480.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I always get that thing on windows 10 where the taskbar still appears in full screen? I know how to fix it (restarting windows explorer) but it always happens again and idk what causes it

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
The issues are mostly huge frame drops at times, so I assume it's a cpu issue. Comparing my 6600k to more recent CPUs, I feel the disparity helps that point.
Would it be worth getting a 3700X over a 3600X? Some quick searches seem to imply there's not a huge difference, and I'm wondering if the extra $100ish is worth it.

the 3600/3600x is fine. The main reason the go-to at the moment is the 3700x is because of the 8 cores 16 threads vs. 6 cores 12 threads but the CPUs in next consoles will be clocked a lot lower than desktop CPUs so the 3600/3600x should be fine.