• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Though I wonder if they recompiled the game with a new build of UE4 and that's where the improved AA came from? Or it's some other PP effect? Either way, I just drove Paul Ricard (the worst aliasing offender) without millions of pixels flickering before my eyes.
That would be an amazing feat as Paul Ricard always looked like crap. If that's fixed, I'll be a happy person. What in-game settings for AA are you using? TSAA or KTAA?​
Jesus, that handling bug is insane. I'd wager that since they found it, they've fixed it for Automodellista 2 given they're using that engine?
It was one of the first things Reiza fixed whereas SMS couldn't after 4 games.​
1- Niels described the bug well in this post - it was fixed by ISI at some point over rF1 development but it was still present in the older code the Madness engine is based on. You could somewhat get around it by plugging inertia values that accounted for the wrong formula, but our car physics had inertia values already set to the correct formula so this was an important bug to fix.

2- Changing the FFB system was less about what was wrong with the native ffb and more about what was right with the simpler Realfeel-like system we´re implementing (basically converting the forces coming through the steering rack combined with a limited number of "hacks" for special circumstances and less room for misconfiguration). In time we will provide more documentation explaining these changes in more detail.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
My 980ti/6600k combo is no good, maybe?

AFAIK a 1080 is generally stated minimum, with a 1080ti recommended. Might able to get away with a 980ti in AC with some settings turned down and locked 45fps? It's getting on in age and Shader patch FPS optimisations, but honestly couldn't say for sure, and doubly so for other sims as I haven't tested anything but AC and flight sims so far.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
AFAIK a 1080 is generally stated minimum, with a 1080ti recommended. Might able to get away with a 980ti in AC with some settings turned down and locked 45fps? It's getting on in age and Shader patch FPS optimisations, but honestly couldn't say for sure, and doubly so for other sims as I haven't tested anything but AC and flight sims so far.
I'm more than happy with my OG Rift to be honest. I know any sort of upgrade will mean a new PC, basically.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
The AA is much better but I'm still having stuttering in some corners that I don't have on any other UE4 games. I suspect the mirrors are stil performance hogs.
Funny you should say that as I've switched the mirrors off too. They look terrible and take up 20% of my GPU. I'm relying purely on the spotter, radar and relative.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Funny you should say that as I've switched the mirrors off too. They look terrible and take up 20% of my GPU. I'm relying purely on the spotter, radar and relative.
The only game I can recall with mirrors as bad as ACC's are Shadow Warrior which eats FPS even without looking at them.

There is a lot of work left in ACC unless Kunos are looking ahead to the CPU and GPU releases of 2025

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
If you like Formula E

Does anybody?
Apart from the horrible walled-in 'street' circuits, the lack of noise is like watching with the sound turned off and kills any emotional excitement.
So sad that this is the future of motorsports. Thank god for sim racing where internal combustion will live for ever.

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody?
Apart from the horrible walled-in 'street' circuits, the lack of noise is like watching with the sound turned off and kills any emotional excitement.
So sad that this is the future of motorsports. Thank god for sim racing where internal combustion will live for ever.

Hear, hear! I've tried a few times over the years to really get into watching it, but it's just a bit shit. The VRC Formula Lithium in AC can be fun (dedicated circuits are terrible though).

Ona side note, I finally got around to driving the new AC Kyalami mod this morning, and it's just incredible. Very high quality work, and the layout is pretty great, I can see it going into the favourites rotation.

Yu Kigono

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a recommendation for a relatively cheap but good quality Wheel Stand? I want to get into SimRacing but I'm not sure if I want to commit hard enough to get the whole rig with the chair and monitor set-up and everything.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Nvidia users: This might be useful for ACC: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/e4kdyn/nvidias_latest_driver_44141_added_sharpening_and/

"Image Sharpening Support for Vulkan and OpenGL Last month, we introduced a new NVIDIA Control Panel Image Sharpening feature that enables GeForce gamers to improve clarity and sharpness in DirectX titles, and to easily upscale and sharpen. With this new Game Ready Driver, this feature is also now available for OpenGL and Vulkan games. To enable Image Sharpening, open NVIDIA Control Panel and select Manage 3D Settings -> Image Sharpening."

From the thread:

Sharpening with GPU scaling means if you render at a lower resolution, it's first scaled up then sharpened at full resolution (similar to what DLSS does) instead of sharpened at a lower resolution then blown up by the screen. If the sharpening algorithm is smart enough this can produce better final images.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Codies bought the wrong company :/
If you are talking about Bizarre Creations then I agree 8)

Ian Bell may be a lot of things; shrewd is one such trait.

I believe the deal is akin to the EA and SMS deal - SMS own their tech and CM own the games SMS make.

SMS can make more NFS Shift sim-ligjt games which is exactly what CM are famous for. Pure speculation by me though 8)

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Nvidia users: This might be useful for ACC: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/e4kdyn/nvidias_latest_driver_44141_added_sharpening_and/

"Image Sharpening Support for Vulkan and OpenGL Last month, we introduced a new NVIDIA Control Panel Image Sharpening feature that enables GeForce gamers to improve clarity and sharpness in DirectX titles, and to easily upscale and sharpen. With this new Game Ready Driver, this feature is also now available for OpenGL and Vulkan games. To enable Image Sharpening, open NVIDIA Control Panel and select Manage 3D Settings -> Image Sharpening."

From the thread:

Sharpening with GPU scaling means if you render at a lower resolution, it's first scaled up then sharpened at full resolution (similar to what DLSS does) instead of sharpened at a lower resolution then blown up by the screen. If the sharpening algorithm is smart enough this can produce better final images.
I wonder if this is what's contributing the ACC's improved image quality?

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Best preview footage so far. Physics-wise especially.
Now that Reiza have sorted the issues with the physics calculations, we may get physics to match the visuals. As a backer, I'm very happy with the way AMS 2 is shaping up :)

If you're refering to the inertia/angular momentum... I don't want to do a complete calculation here, but take a car that weighs 1300kg with fuel and driver... the unsprung mass maybe about 60kg. The outer corners of the unsprung mass are maybe 1.2m away from the CoG (2.4xxx meter wheelbase).
Then the correct calculation would 1300kg * (rest of angular mass formula) - 60kg * 1.44 m² [<--1.2m squared]
And the SMS incorrect way was 1300kg * (rest of angular mass formula) - 60kg * 1.2 m² [forgotten to acutally square 1.2m]
60*1.2=72 is about 5.5% of 1300 and 60*1.44=86,4 is about 6.6% of 1300
That's 1.1% difference in yaw acceleration... I doubt people can actually feel that.

The "too complex to figure it out entirely"-tire model is the real physics problem of the madness engine imo.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
If you're refering to the inertia/angular momentum... I don't want to do a complete calculation here, but take a car that weighs 1300kg with fuel and driver... the unsprung mass maybe about 60kg. The outer corners of the unsprung mass are maybe 1.2m away from the CoG (2.4xxx meter wheelbase).
Then the correct calculation would 1300kg * (rest of angular mass formula) - 60kg * 1.44 m² [<--1.2m squared]​

And the SMS incorrect way was 1300kg * (rest of angular mass formula) - 60kg * 1.2 m² [forgotten to acutally square 1.2m]​

60*1.2=72 is about 5.5% of 1300 and 60*1.44=86,4 is about 6.6% of 1300​

That's 1.1% difference in yaw acceleration... I doubt people can actually feel that.​

The "too complex to figure it out entirely"-tire model is the real physics problem of the madness engine imo.​
While I'm sure your maths skills are excellent in calculating the margin of error both ISI, Niels H and Renato of Reiza all thought it was a significant issue and corrected the mistake.​

SMS have a history of sloppy code (e.g. fuel tanks located outside of the cars in Shift, errors carried over from GTR 2, borked controller setttings in pCARS) so it may also be something with the tyres too.​

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
fuel tanks located outside of the cars in Shift
wat

PS. I know I've been out of the scene for quite a while, but it's great to see that Niels is still involved with Reiza.

PPS. Did anyone here ever play (the horribly named) KartKraft? It always looked great and it still kind of astonishes me that there's a track from my little podunk hometown that makes appearances in let's plays and such.

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
wat

PS. I know I've been out of the scene for quite a while, but it's great to see that Niels is still involved with Reiza.

PPS. Did anyone here ever play (the horribly named) KartKraft? It always looked great and it still kind of astonishes me that there's a track from my little podunk hometown that makes appearances in let's plays and such.
Not to sure if it's available, the NoGrip Community Patch for both Shift and Unleashed had a multitude of fixes from errors found in GTR 2 to correcting fuel tanks located outside of the cars.

Add in the physics calculation error with the ISImotor 2.0 build means lots of fun.

I was a beta tester for KartKraft! Not sure what happened as the beta was open for 5 minutes and the forums were dead. I did get a free copy of the full release out of it.

The initial release was a typical UE4 sim; horrid in-game graphics and an amazing photo mode.

It's so much better now and outside of MotoGP '19 is the best use of UE4 in my humble opinion.

Let's hope AMS 2 can avoid the issues associated with the albeit fun SMS games.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
While I'm sure your maths skills are excellent in calculating the margin of error both ISI, Niels H and Renato of Reiza all thought it was a significant issue and corrected the mistake.​

SMS have a history of sloppy code (e.g. fuel tanks located outside of the cars in Shift, errors carried over from GTR 2, borked controller setttings in pCARS) so it may also be something with the tyres too.​

Well, if you have a long wheelbase (like formula cars) and the weight of the sprung mass is lower without the unsprung mass being a lot lower (and while a formula car's unsprung suspension parts might be very light, the tires are pretty heavy), the percentage would be significantly higher, meaning especially open wheelers would suffer turn-in sluggishness while also being harder to catch in a slide.
So of course Renato and Niels are right that it's a bad mistake and I could see SMS cheating with the formula tires to fix the problem to some degree instead of second guessing code they've taken over from rFactor. But again... I think in most cars this wouldn't be noticeable.

wat

I bought it in the Steam summer sale and played it for maybe 4h. While I wouldn't say it ran perfectly, it looked fantastic and the physics seemed to be better than KartSim for rF2 and as close as AMS to what I remember from real life karting in rental karts (maybe rF2's Junior Kart is still the closest to my experience). I would like a lower power kart in that game to compare it better.

Anyway, I was really surprised how good that game was and I feel like I paid too little. Should they ever make DLC, I'd definitely buy it and dig more into the game when I have the time and they have a little more content.

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
iRacing patch/update notes: https://pastebin.com/jmS8hMjH

AI releasing today!

Feedback from Reddit:

Well i raced at the nurburgring track, which is notorious for bad fps. I had to lower a lot of settings, everything to low except objects. Crowds had to be turned off. Shaders at medium, only two cockpit mirror etc to get somewhat stable 80fps. But then again i race in vr, so your mileage may vary. As referance i have a 6700k and gtx 1080

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to believe this is rF2 in-game with the Yebis post processing on:

CCq7bGB.jpg

YhfHOXA.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Whilst it's geared with stupidly tall gears, it's a load of drifting fun.
I think this car has some weird power band, so the gearing makes sense again.

Just tried the car for maybe 90 minutes... it really is pretty da,m easy (and fun) to get just the right amount of yaw-angle out of corners. Maybe TC is not off entirely when turned to 0. Hmm, I should have checked (can you check this in rF2? I don't remember).

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I think this car has some weird power band, so the gearing makes sense again.
Just tried the car for maybe 90 minutes... it really is pretty da,m easy (and fun) to get just the right amount of yaw-angle out of corners. Maybe TC is not off entirely when turned to 0. Hmm, I should have checked (can you check this in rF2? I don't remember).​
The TC for the BMW M2 is​
0 = Off​
1 = Setting for dry conditions​
2 = Setting for rain conditions​
There aren't any other TC settings or steps to the TC unlike the GT3 cars that I can fild. Unless you have TC set as an overall assist, you should be on your own to handle the traction or to drift like a maniac.​
I'll be interested to read what others think of the M2 vs the 235 Cup car from the VLM series in R3E.​

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The TC for the BMW M2 is​
0 = Off​
1 = Setting for dry conditions​
2 = Setting for rain conditions​

There aren't any other TC settings or steps to the TC unlike the GT3 cars that I can fild. Unless you have TC set as an overall assist, you should be on your own to handle the traction or to drift like a maniac.​

I'll be interested to read what others think of the M2 vs the 235 Cup car from the VLM series in R3E.​
Ah, thanks for the TC info.

I bought the R3E Premium Pack on Black Friday, but am yet to drive the M235i and likely won't have the time in the next 2 weeks either. It's on the top of my list of cars I'm eager to try out in R3E. Out of the few cars I've tried so far, I was disappointed with the Caymans and older Porsches... all of them. Most fun car outside of the cars I owned before already was the Evora GT4 so far... it's extremely pleasant to drive it hard in R3E, fantastic car.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, thanks for the TC info.

I bought the R3E Premium Pack on Black Friday, but am yet to drive the M235i and likely won't have the time in the next 2 weeks either. It's on the top of my list of cars I'm eager to try out in R3E. Out of the few cars I've tried so far, I was disappointed with the Caymans and older Porsches... all of them. Most fun car outside of the cars I owned before already was the Evora GT4 so far... it's extremely pleasant to drive it hard in R3E, fantastic car.
What's wrong with the Porsches? Alex H has seat time in all of them along with a few special testers so they are accurate.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
What's wrong with the Porsches? Alex H has seat time in all of them along with a few special testers so they are accurate.
Too many things and I don't have time to get into any details in a longer post at the moment. It's mostly about understeer. And for the record, I don't believe it has anything to do with S3 not having done their homework and entered badly fudged data when they modeled the cars.