• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
ACC Lexus RCF GT3 converted rather excellently to AC by Chinese modder Toprace/Element 1999

This really is a top-notch conversion, even down to the way the webbing moves around in the cockpit.

screenshot_lexus_rcf_gt3_acc_hockenheim_2018_9-1-120-21-57-22-jpg.881099

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not aware of any track conversions in development, but GT Sport tracks are proving to be a bitch to port over so maybe modders will start to take a closer look at ACC.
I'm amazed at the ability to rip GT Sport tracks given the game is newish on the PS4.

As for ACC, one of its benefits in using UE4 may also end up being a curse if modding tools are widely available and depending on the encryption used.

If modders can rip ACC's 3D car models one can presume the tracks cannot be far behind in being ripped. We see this with FM tracks and cars now.

Modders could also rip tracks from MotoGP and Ride too should they want to.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
There are half a dozen or so FM7 track conversions in AC and they are generally good, but need a LOT of optimising which some converters cannot be bothered with. Some (Le Mans, Bathurst) have had the necesary TLC and are now excellent but others (Prague, Rio, Lime Rock...) look great but need high-end hardware to race against AI. Maple Valley is probably the worst culprit, to my eternal frustration.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
There are half a dozen or so FM7 track conversions in AC and they are generally good, but need a LOT of optimising which some converters cannot be bothered with. Some (Le Mans, Bathurst) have had the necesary TLC and are now excellent but others (Prague, Rio, Lime Rock...) look great but need high-end hardware to race against AI. Maple Valley is probably the worst culprit, to my eternal frustration.
Heh, I was reading the conversation and my interest was rising right up until the last sentence. Deflated.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Mascot For the FM7 Bathurst has the only optimization been the billboard/texture update on RD? Or has Nobody worked on this one like LeMans?

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Yeah, the skin mods from RD have it running fairly well for me, just wanted to be sure I didn't miss an update to it elsewhere.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really liking ACC the more I play it. Anxiously awaiting the the new content hopefully coming before the end of the month.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I find the cars in ACC and R3E drive very similarly. The difference is ACC models a lot more in their sim as well as the weather.

My lack of playtime in ACC is due to the horrid UE4 optimisation issues and lackluster career mode.

Without being uncharitable, there is in ACC that AC with SOL+shaders patch can't do visually and Kunos could have worked in the '5 point tyre contact patch' and new GT3 physics into the old physics engine which is what they did for ACC. I doubt they rewrote the physics from scratch.

It's ironic that the one sim that runs the best with full TOD and weather and a track full of cars whilst still looking somewhat modern is being kept alive by modders.

Last edited:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
It's ironic that the one sim that runs the best with full TOD and weather and a track full of cars whilst still looking somewhat modern is being kept alive by modders.
I've been a champion of the CSP and Sol but went back to vanilla AC last night as a test when I tried to run an old 20-car AI grid and realised how unplayably poorly it now runs. I was amazed just how good AC looked in basic form, with a noticeably sharper image and more vivid colours in my CV1. I was also able to run three times as many cars and still hit my 45/ASW target.
The plan now is to do some extensive testing and try to eliminate the hungriest of CSP's features, but as I don't race in rain or at night I'm pretty sure that Sol will be the first thing to go as it seems to be a massive resource hog on my hardware and makes everything look, to me, far too 'hipster-filter Instagrammed'.
Smoke and sparks can go along with 3D grass, but I'll need to keep my 3D mirrors, easily my favourite CSP feature.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I've been a champion of the CSP and Sol but went back to vanilla AC last night as a test when I tried to run an old 20-car AI grid and realised how unplayably poorly it now runs. I was amazed just how good AC looked in basic form, with a noticeably sharper image and more vivid colours in my CV1. I was also able to run three times as many cars and still hit my 45/ASW target.
The plan now is to do some extensive testing and try to eliminate the hungriest of CSP's features, but as I don't race in rain or at night I'm pretty sure that Sol will be the first thing to go as it seems to be a massive resource hog on my hardware and makes everything look, to me, far too 'hipster-filter Instagrammed'.
Smoke and sparks can go along with 3D grass, but I'll need to keep my 3D mirrors, easily my favourite CSP feature.
You sound like me now... except even I am a fan of Sol now. I'm just a sucker for good sunsets and day-night transitions in racing games ever since GT5. Without Sol, my AC time would be far below rF2, PC2, AMS and R3E, maybe even below ACC.
God, I wish rF2 had as natural a look as AC with Sol in terms of colors, contrast, clouds and most of all sunsets.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
With regards to the frame rate, I use the benchmark tool and end up with a slight increase with Sol and CSP vs vanilla AC. I keep the mods at their default settings and use the recommended CSP build.

I did note using the additional AA features in CSP often makes AC visually softer so I don't tinker with it. I do the same for post processing which just adds blur akin to FXAA.

3D grass is a FPS killer in pcars and ACC so I'm not surprised it tanks the frame rate in AC. I did try it at the suggested medium settings and it adds to the visual flair but who looks at the grass when driving?

It will be interesting to read your findings with regards to what is a resource hog.

Last edited:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Well, my findings are... weird.
I reactivated WeatherFX/Sol to run more benches and somehow, magically, got very nearly all of my performance back. Seems 'resetting' Sol fixed some memory leak or witches curse or bad setting or just bad juju, and performance is now great. So I'm back to using Sol again with big grids. I just need to tweak the PP settings now for visual preference.
GrassFX seems to have no effect on my framerate either, but it doesn't always look better than a flat grass texture in VR anyway.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I spent a little time benchmarking AC with and without Sol & CSP too.​

My settings were: single screen at 1920x1080P with all settings at max for AC vanilla (with and without PP) and default settings for CSP+Sol w/AC at max settings and then using Sol at Peter Bose's suggested Sol, CM and CSP settings.​

• Vanilla AC without PP and all settings maxed: 150fps average​
  • Vanilla AC with PP and all settings maxed: 118fps average​
  • AC with Sol+CSP at CSP defaults: 168fps average​
  • AC with Sol+CSP at Sol suggested settings: 150fps average (includes changed CSP settings)​

I did note using CSP and Sol kept the CPU % in the low to mid 90% range whereas vanilla AC was between 54% and 70%​

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
On the RaceDepartment Rate the Sims final results:

You know, compared to where someone with good knowledge about video games but an outsider of the sim market would have guessed where the games would land in a poll... I could have told you that pCARS2 would be weirdly low on the list, I could have told you that AMS would be a big player, I could have told you AC would win and that ACC would be somewhat low. I even could have told you that R3E would be fairly high after their latest updates and also that iRacing would be low... but what I could NOT have foreseen is that Wreckfest would land above rFactor 2. Holy shit. Maybe S397 should make some polls of their own to get some broader feedback from the whole sim racing community so they know how they're actually seen in the eyes of the average sim racer.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
On the RaceDepartment Rate the Sims final results:

You know, compared to where someone with good knowledge about video games but an outsider of the sim market would have guessed where the games would land in a poll... I could have told you that pCARS2 would be weirdly low on the list, I could have told you that AMS would be a big player, I could have told you AC would win and that ACC would be somewhat low. I even could have told you that R3E would be fairly high after their latest updates and also that iRacing would be low... but what I could NOT have foreseen is that Wreckfest would land above rFactor 2. Holy shit. Maybe S397 should make some polls of their own to get some broader feedback from the whole sim racing community so they know how they're actually seen in the eyes of the average sim racer.
AC being #1 is not a surprise given the amount of mods and ease in which one can install said mods. Kunos can largely thank the creators of Content Manager and the CSP mods along with the Sol mod for the longevity of AC.

What is a surprise is the two lowest played sims (online) according to Steamcharts are second and third respectively.

pCARS 2 was always going to be a low score as there is a lot of dislike towards the CEO of SMS and his often bold claims about his products.

rF2 is no surprise; it's stil a total mess and the complete opposite of AC's thriving modding community and ease of creation and installation of mods. There are so many obvious bugs and issues that have been ignored for years that nether ISI or S397 can seemingly replicate to fix.

I do enjoy rF2 however its faults are glaringly apparent.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Great rendition of track. Sadly the AI has been poorly implemented, braking through the Craner Curves and at Starkey's Bridge. Hopefully there's a community AIW update in the future.
Where did you see notification of the tracks release? I look at the FB page 'sim racing for life' - is there another site?

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Where did you see notification of the tracks release? I look at the FB page 'sim racing for life' - is there another site?
Here. 45 minutes was more than enough time to download and get annoyed at the after-thought AI. That being said, ISR do tend to cater towards leagues and such, so I understand why that community may leave AI work to other modders.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I received my P1-X like May or June of last year, whenever the first batch shipped, and I finally have the space to start setting it up today. I opened the box and found they shipped me three of the longest pieces instead of two, only one spacer aluminum piece that goes between the long ones, and only one steering wheel upright. How on earth did they screw the shipment up so badly? Now I have to email them and explain why I just now opened the package and if they can send me the additional pieces. I'm sure I'll also have to pay more expensive duty fees to have it shipped. I can't believe it.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting results to racing in the rain poll: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/opinion-racing-in-the-rain.177935/

92.6% of the 270 votes race in rain 'by choice' less than 25% of the time; I find the results strange given sim racers are often upset when a sim ships without changable weather.

For the record I elected 50:50 as I like to feel how the wet tyres work and the track changes which is modelled in rF2, ACC and pCARS although the latter went nuts with the snow and blizzard conditons.

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Interesting results to racing in the rain poll: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/opinion-racing-in-the-rain.177935/

92.6% of the 270 votes race in rain 'by choice' less than 25% of the time; I find the results strange given sim racers are often upset when a sim ships without changable weather.

For the record I elected 50:50 as I like to feel how the wet tyres work and the track changes which is modelled in rF2, ACC and pCARS although the latter went nuts with the snow and blizzard conditons.
Oops. I missed that poll. I probably would have voted for DUCK, but I much prefer to race in changeable conditions than full on monsoons. ACC seems to be the best choice for slippery surfaces at the moment, but who knows what magic AMS2 will bring?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Oops. I missed that poll. I probably would have voted for DUCK, but I much prefer to race in changeable conditions than full on monsoons. ACC seems to be the best choice for slippery surfaces at the moment, but who knows what magic AMS2 will bring?
Hopefully AMS 2 drops the more extreme weather such as snow in places where it doesn't snow as it was an issue in pCARS 2.​

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
ACC: real car vs sim:

David Perel: Simulators are for racing drivers what treadmills are for runners. It's not quite the real thing… But you're still running

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
There are now 710 people who've entered the poll and 90.3% either never race or seldom (25%) race in wet conditions by choice. Based on the results adding changeable weather is a complete waste of time and resources.
I prefer a more positive reading from those results: "30% of sim-drivers race in the rain 25% of the time (or more)". Developing a feature that 30% of your customers will use seems like time well spent.

However, to play devil's advocate, Racedepartment is a small community of hardishcore sim races and these numbers may not accurately represent the general public's opinion on wet weather racing.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer a more positive reading from those results: "30% of sim-drivers race in the rain 25% of the time (or more)". Developing a feature that 30% of your customers will use seems like time well spent.
However, to play devil's advocate, Racedepartment is a small community of hardishcore sim races and these numbers may not accurately represent the general public's opinion on wet weather racing.​
When people complained that AC did not feature changeable weather, Kunos stated so few people bothered to drive in the rain in nKP after demanding for rain to be added, he didn't bother with a weather 'feature' in AC. Given the results of the poll, I think he may have been correct however if you add the 25% the figures do look much better overall.​

Oct 28, 2017
I always pick variable weather so I don't choose to race in anything in particular. For me that is the most realistic way to sim since you can't pick in reality either.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Need for Speed Heat will support racing wheels from today on: https://www.teamvvv.com/news/need-for-speed-heat-now-supports-racing-wheels/
  • Thrustmaster T300RS (PS4, PC*)
  • Thrustmaster TX (Xbox, PC*)
  • Thrustmaster T150 (PS4, PC*)
  • Thrustmaster TMX (Xbox, PC*)
  • Logitech G29 (PS4, PC*)
  • Logitech G920 (Xbox, PC*)
  • Fanatec CSL Elite Racing Wheel (PS4, PC*, XB1)
The devs say "a few others may work as well".

And the big hook:
"PC users may require to install the Logitech G Hub, regardless of the wheel manufacturer and model they are using. It's also worth noting that to access all features in the game, you will need to use a combination of racing wheel and controller."

I don't know where Team VVV has that G Hub info from, I can't find it in the ea.com update article for NFS Heat.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's time for Kunos to move back to their own engine (and hire the CSP and Sol authors):

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's time for Kunos to move back to their own engine (and hire the CSP and Sol authors):

The new procedural clouds have been available to test in the latest CSP update for a couple of days now. They way they form and move is great (like one of those time-lapse videos of a rolling sky) but the clouds themselves aren't currently convincing. Some of the shapes are distinctly un-cloud like and seem placed too close, especially with VR's stereoscopic vision. The current Sol with its 'fake' clouds looks a lot better, I reckon.
It'll improve, just like GrassFX has. That looked bad for the first couple of iterations but now looks fantastic.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
A very good JB video on ACC discussing the pro's and cons:​

My biggest issue is also Jimmy's - Jimmy uses a PC with an intel i9 and a 2080Ti and struggles to hit 60fps on some tracks having to turn down the settings to low to get a decent frame rate. This is my issue with ACC along with image quality that is mostly crap. pCARS 2 shits all over ACC visually.​

That said, ACC's physics are the best of any sim running GT3 class cars.​

Last edited: