• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
There was a substantial improvement sometime in May. Think I gained about 25% fps. Also, the new GTE cars are much lighter on the GPU compared to the GT3 cars.

Sounds good. What's your PC setup? I can't remember what in-game settings I used to use, think it was everything at medium (I have a 7700K + 1080ti).

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds good. What's your PC setup? I can't remember what in-game settings I used to use, think it was everything at medium (I have a 7700K + 1080ti).
8600k + 1080 here and I'm quite GPU limited on my Samsung Odyssey, as it's quite a few more pixels than Oculus. You can probably have high settings than mine below with a better GPU and less pixels to push.

In SteamVR
Resolution: 200% (I think this is a value of about 1.4 in Oculus)

In launcher:

AA: 3
Post Effects: Low

In game:
Circuit: High
Player: High
Opponent: Medium
Texture: High
Texture filter: x8
Special FX: low
Shadows: off (this is not to increase performance, just that I have a rare shadow bug that I prefer not to be distracted by)
Shadow blur: off
Soft particles: low
Rain: low
Road reflection: off < very costly in VR, best to turn off
Env reflection: off < very costly in VR, best to turn off
Visible vehicles: 18

In the player.json file, located in Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player
"Garage Detail":0.01, (this turns the detail way down of cars in the pits)
"Opponent Texture Override":2, (this gives opponents high res textures, despite them using medium detail models.)
Rearview_Back_Clip":50, (this clips the rear view to 50m) < very costly in VR, best to keep below 150m

With that, only the GT3 cars give me any framerate issues.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I actually think the pricing model on Raceroom is fantastic, with one glaring exception: they need to have an All Tracks pack.

That's all I really wanted and I was forced to buy the Everything pack to accomplish it. Realistically, I will only drive 5-6 cars in Raceroom, but I wanted all of the tracks.
Sounds like excellent work from the sales & marketing department to me. Mission accomplished!

:P

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How's srs on raceroom? Like it on AC, but all the interesting races seem to happen when i'm in bed. :(

I find the quality of the races to be better than in AC since its all official content and I personally enjoy them more because I'm not having to faff around trying to figure out ideal tire pressures for mod cars. However participation rates are lower because its less popular than AC by quite some margin (most likely due to the cost of getting all the content in Raceroom).

If you've already got all or most of the content in raceroom give it a go. If you don't I wouldn't say it's worth buying the content just for SRS races.

Max playing Automobilista.

That explains a lot. He must get confused when other drivers aren't susceptible to his dive bombs on Sunday's.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
If you've already got all or most of the content in raceroom give it a go. If you don't I wouldn't say it's worth buying the content just for SRS races.
Out of curiosity, I logged into SRS for the first time in forever over the weekend and only saw AC races. Is that not the case? Do you have a link to the Raceroom schedule?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
...but there's always this nagging feeling that Sector 3 are trying to stiff me with microtransactions, not helped by the shopping lists that appear whenever I boot the game up. It really pisses me off if I'm honest.
A correction is needed to channel your hatred to the right place.

Sector 3 make the sim per the requirements of RaceRoom.

RaceRoom set the prices, want the VRP and charge for liveries (made by the Koda Factory and others).

Sector 3 hate the VRP system too...but it's requested by the publisher.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
If I had one complaint about RRRE, it would be the amount of steps it takes from initial load to the green light.
Start rF2>Race>Race
Start iRacing>Green button
Start RRRE>Any button>Single race>Go Race>Drive>Continue>Race>Continue... WHY????
From what IveI been told, it is the DRM servers taking their sweet time to validate background info.

Funnily enough, the Devs have an offline version of R3E and were going to release a standalone DTM sim that loaded up super quick and ran a lot better as no DRM servers. I have no idea what happened to it as we tested that ages ago.

Last edited:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
A correction is needed to channel your hatred to the right place.

Sector 3 make the sim per the requirements of RaceRoom.

RaceRoom set the prices, want the VRP and charge for liveries (made by the Koda Factory and others).

Sector 3 hate the VRP system too...but it's requested by the publisher.
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.
There's no hatred there. Ambivalence is probably a better word.
What a shame Sector 3 got into bed with RaceRoom then. The pricing model forced onto the game does not seem very popular.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. There's no hatred there. Ambivalence is probably a better word. What a shame Sector 3 got into bed with RaceRoom then. The pricing model forced onto the game does not seem very popular.
RaceRoom and Sector 3 are owned by KW Automotive who ultimately write the cheques and KW wants the sim his way.

The sim isn't popular because the pricing model sucks (although with discounts it's good value), people hate buying cars and liveries plus the original game had 'relaxed physics' which turned people off as did the stupid braking markers and a few other details like made up cars to fill some gaps which added up to a release that screamed simcade. Imagine beta testing a game that has overwhelmingly negative reviews on Steam and talking with dejected developers.

Alex H (physics guru) and J-F Chardon plus the direct input from DTM, GT3, ADAC, Audi Cup drivers have turned the sim around completely. Thanks to Alex, R3E has some of the best GT3, DTM, KTM, Audi TT & BMW cup cars available in sim racing today. The Porsche 911 Cup and Cayman GT4 are also amazing; Alex has driven these cars extensively in real life as a professional driving coach and racer.

Just a shame so few people play the sim. If R3E was released as a whole title for $60 USD today, S3 would rake in the cash. Appparently KW doesn't want that.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
RaceRoom and Sector 3 are owned by KW Automotive who ultimately write the cheques and KW wants the sim his way.

The sim isn't popular because the pricing model sucks (although with discounts it's good value), people hate buying cars and liveries plus the original game had 'relaxed physics' which turned people off as did the stupid braking markers and a few other details like made up cars to fill some gaps which added up to a release that screamed simcade. Imagine beta testing a game that has overwhelmingly negative reviews on Steam and talking with dejected developers.

Alex H (physics guru) and J-F Chardon plus the direct input from DTM, GT3, ADAC, Audi Cup drivers have turned the sim around completely. Thanks to Alex, R3E has some of the best GT3, DTM, KTM, Audi TT & BMW cup cars available in sim racing today. The Porsche 911 Cup and Cayman GT4 are also amazing; Alex has driven these cars extensively in real life as a professional driving coach and racer.

Just a shame so few people play the sim. If R3E was released as a whole title for $60 USD today, S3 would rake in the cash. Appparently KW doesn't want that.
Not sure if you have access to the data, but did converting to a sim-sim improve sales? I certainly hope so.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It begs the question though, what will become of R3E when GTR3 releases (if ever lol...)?

Having said that, I honestly think if Raceroom had a robust iRacing style online environment without the ridiculous subscription fees (and needing to be subbed to get access to your content) then I think they would rake it in, even more so than if they just packaged it all up in a $60 wrapper.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if you have access to the data, but did converting to a sim-sim improve sales? I certainly hope so.
The numbers have improved but aren't close to AC or pCARS. The dev's think it's the DX9 graphics more than anything as the eye candy isn't there to capture people.

It begs the question though, what will become of R3E when GTR3 releases (if ever lol...)?

Having said that, I honestly think if Raceroom had a robust iRacing style online environment without the ridiculous subscription fees (and needing to be subbed to get access to your content) then I think they would rake it in, even more so than if they just packaged it all up in a $60 wrapper.
GTR 3 isn't likely to be a 'hardcore' sim from all accounts and is being made by SimBin UK. Sector 3 has zero to do with GTR 3 and R3E will remain a PC only release & GTR 3 is releasing across all platforms.

The S3 devs have stated, and I have no idea if this is an NDA violation, they have zero interest in GTR 3 except for how the UE4 graphics engine is paired to ISI's pMotor base code. R3E uses less than 20% of the ISI code! S3 have form with the pMotor added to their RenR engine which seems to have been built with input/assistance from SMS before Ian Bell split up with SimBin (RIP) for a second time and went off and made what became Test Drive Ferarri and NFS: Shift. Jay Ekkel mentions these facts, in very loose terms, is his video interview with Shawn Cole.

Jay Ekkel now works for rFactor Pro so good things happen to good people.

The plans for R3E are to make a suitable alternative to iRacing's excellent mutliplayer...let's see if it can be done.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
From what IveI been told, it is the DRM servers taking their sweet time to validate background info.

Funnily enough, the Devs have an offline version of R3E and were going to release a standalone DTM sim that loaded up super quick and ran a lot better as no DRM servers. IIhave no idea what happened to it as we tested that ages ago.
I admit, one of the reasons I don't RRRE as much as I should just down to one aspect; the menus...
1) Way too many clicks to enter a race as mentioned above. I'm amused by it being for DRM though lol
2) For some reason, my Heusinkveld pedals are active on the menus, overriding the Y input of the mouse. I have to maintain a steady 50% push of the accelerator during all menus to keep a steady Y.
3) I don't find any menus in any game pleasant to use in VR. I wish I could launch things through a browser, like AC/iRacing.

I think I own almost all the content for RRRE too. Sadly the SRS races don't align with my evening-sim-window, but this is the same for all sims bar iRacing.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I admit, one of the reasons I don't RRRE as much as I should just down to one aspect; the menus....
The UI used to be a lot worse and are a source of much complaints and is Chrome based too (I hate Chrome).

The DRM servers work in the same way as many of the MMOG so we were told. That's why you won't find R3E 3D model rips anywhere on the web. Poorly re-recorded vehicle sound rips are another issue!

TJP

Oct 27, 2017

I own the mod; it needs a bit of work (doesn't have same tyres as Endurance mod & is a wee bit quicker than the GTE cars and pitstops take twice as long) & is to be fixed by URD.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one here trying to use rF2 with VR and SimuCUBE? Totally annoying to not automatically have the correct wheel rotation set for each car. Can't alt+tab with VR; have to go into a race, see what the particular cars steering rotation is, exit out of the sim then change the rotation in SimuCUBE. Then boot the sim back up and most of us know how slow rF2 can be. I need triple screens just for this sim and Automobilista. :/

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Am I the only one here trying to use rF2 with VR and SimuCUBE? Totally annoying to not automatically have the correct wheel rotation set for each car. Can't alt+tab with VR; have to go into a race, see what the particular cars steering rotation is, exit out of the sim then change the rotation in SimuCUBE. Then boot the sim back up and most of us know how slow rF2 can be. I need triple screens just for this sim and Automobilista. :/
This might be Windows 10 only I think...

Not sure if this'll work, but try Alt-Tabbing when in rF2, then at the top of the screen you should see some text 'New Desktop'. Click it. Now at the top of your screen, you should see Desktop 1 (running rFactor2) and Desktop 2 (a nice clean desktop). Click on Desktop 2 and you should be able to access everything and adjust wheel settings. Then Alt-Tab again and click Desktop 1 to return to rF2.

I own the mod; it needs a bit of work (doesn't have same tyres as Endurance mod & is a wee bit quicker than the GTE cars and pitstops take twice as long) & is to be fixed by URD.
Hopefully Ales being so close to 397 should mean it'll have the new tyres this week + bug fixes soon.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
This might be Windows 10 only I think...

Not sure if this'll work, but try Alt-Tabbing when in rF2, then at the top of the screen you should see some text 'New Desktop'. Click it. Now at the top of your screen, you should see Desktop 1 (running rFactor2) and Desktop 2 (a nice clean desktop). Click on Desktop 2 and you should be able to access everything and adjust wheel settings. Then Alt-Tab again and click Desktop 1 to return to rF2.
Hopefully Ales being so close to 397 should mean it'll have the new tyres this week + bug fixes soon.

I'll try that. I usually run rF2 settings with HMD only and no mirror (heard it helps with VR performance?). I'll just have to try it.

I bought that Detroit mod last night. I like it from what little I drove but it definitely feels different that the S397 GTE cars.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I admit, one of the reasons I don't RRRE as much as I should just down to one aspect; the menus...
1) Way too many clicks to enter a race as mentioned above. I'm amused by it being for DRM though lol
2) For some reason, my Heusinkveld pedals are active on the menus, overriding the Y input of the mouse. I have to maintain a steady 50% push of the accelerator during all menus to keep a steady Y.
3) I don't find any menus in any game pleasant to use in VR. I wish I could launch things through a browser, like AC/iRacing.

I think I own almost all the content for RRRE too. Sadly the SRS races don't align with my evening-sim-window, but this is the same for all sims bar iRacing.
1) Yeah, the menus are far too elaborate in R3E, and too 'videogamey', if that makes sense. I guess I've been spoilt by the Eastern-bloc utilitarian functionality of Content Manager. It might not be pretty, but holy fuck it's a piece of piss to navigate quickly.
2) Ditto. I actually like being forced to vent my face between races in Assetto. It cools me down and is a good rest for the eyes.

I remember loving R3E in 2D when I first got my gaming PC, and seem to remember it being fine in VR once I'd managed to navigate the menus. I can't really remember why I bought a whole bunch of content and then stopped playing. I think it might have been the drunkard AI, but I believe that's been vastly improved in the past few months. I did try to jump back in a little while ago but found all my control mapping had been reset and couldn't be arsed to relearn the menu navigation. My default menu view in VR was like I was watching from an adjacent room so I gave up.

If someone could come up with a universal UI app for all sims, based on Content Manager but with customisation and skins... man, that would be sweet.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I'll try that. I usually run rF2 settings with HMD only and no mirror (heard it helps with VR performance?). I'll just have to try it.
I just tried and it worked for me... at least I was able to get to the desktop and change some Fanatec settings.

And yes, the mirror is taxing, but if you edit the player.json file as in post 3353, you can have a somewhat decent rearview with minimal FPS hit. And hey, you're one GPU above me anyway!
If someone could come up with a universal UI app for all sims, based on Content Manager but with customisation and skins... man, that would be sweet.
The Holy Grail of apps!

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I just tried and it worked for me... at least I was able to get to the desktop and change some Fanatec settings.

And yes, the mirror is taxing, but if you edit the player.json file as in post 3353, you can have a somewhat decent rearview with minimal FPS hit. And hey, you're one GPU above me anyway!

I meant mirror as in mirroring the VR display to the monitor, sorry.

Speaking of R3E, it won't recognize my GT2 wheel and I also don't have any FFB.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Have you seen the new info boxes in the AC video settings in Content Manager? Click the little 'i' next to the setting and there's a description and visual representation of the effect, plus an estimate of the performance hit. You can then click left and right on the image to actually see the visual change based on the setting.
Brilliant!

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I finally booted up AC for the first time since buying it a couple months ago. I'm really enjoying it as someone coming over from GTS. I didn't buy the Ultimate Edition and I'm regretting it. Is there any way to upgrade to that version, or do they seriously want me to buy all those individual DLC packs at crazy prices? I could wait until Steam sale and purchase the UE at a discount, I suppose.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I finally booted up AC for the first time since buying it a couple months ago. I'm really enjoying it as someone coming over from GTS. I didn't buy the Ultimate Edition and I'm regretting it. Is there any way to upgrade to that version, or do they seriously want me to buy all those individual DLC packs at crazy prices? I could wait until Steam sale and purchase the UE at a discount, I suppose.
AC DLC has regularly gone on sale. I think over the years I've picked up all bar one at 80% off.

spuck

Oct 28, 2017
London

Steam Summer sale starts this weekend I believe and Assetto Corsa (along with its DLC) will almost certainly be heavily discounted.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
ACC main menu:

Df5rkTyWkAEal8v.jpg:orig

We should get more info/videos/screenshots this weekend due to them being at the Blancpain Misano race.

Fingers crossed for an early access date. I'm buying as soon as the steam page goes live.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That AC headlight mod can now do different headlight colours:

Looks nice but once ACC releases I don't see myself going back...

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like ACC might not have VR support at launch... or ever.
Reportedly giving Kunos problems, apparently.

No VR, no buy.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like ACC might not have VR support at launch... or ever.
Reportedly giving Kunos problems, apparently.

No VR, no buy.

This makes no sense... VR is built in to UE4. They can pay someone from Epic to fly out and help them figure it out if it's causing them that much trouble.

I guess it's probably not a priority at this stage.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
This makes no sense... VR is built in to UE4. They can pay someone from Epic to fly out and help them figure it out if it's causing them that much trouble.

I guess it's probably not a priority at this stage.
I'm as surprised as you. I've not heard any official announcement but mention of VR has apparently been removed from promo material and Kunos's Twitter made some ambiguous statements, apparently. All apparently.

From Lord Kunos about a week ago:
guys you'll know the answer once we'll know it.

At the moment what we all know is that UE4 supports VR and it's our intention to support it gameplay wise.

Once the game is our we'll all be able to see how everything works, if it works, and what kind of performances the engine is able to achieve... until that day, that's all we can say

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/vr-support-yes-or-no.50080/

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm as surprised as you. I've not heard any official announcement but mention of VR has apparently been removed from promo material and Kunos's Twitter made some ambiguous statements, apparently. All apparently.

From Lord Kunos about a week ago:

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/vr-support-yes-or-no.50080/

That statement reads like it's the last thing they will do, after everything else is complete. So yeh, it probably won't be in the initial early access release.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
That statement reads like it's the last thing they will do, after everything else is complete. So yeh, it probably won't be in the initial early access release.
Yeah, it's hardly definitive, but it's not exactly encouraging either. We all know the best VR implementation is when it's coded in from day one, not bolted on as an afterthought.
I'd feel a lot more relaxed if Kunos said something like "VR is important to us and it's important to ACC. Rest assured we are working hard to ensure that VR integration in ACC is the best it can be" rather than "we'll all be able to see how everything works, if it works".

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's hardly definitive, but it's not exactly encouraging either. We all know the best VR implementation is when it's coded in from day one, not bolted on as an afterthought.
I'd feel a lot more relaxed if Kunos said something like "VR is important to us and it's important to ACC. Rest assured we are working hard to ensure that VR integration in ACC is the best it can be" rather than "we'll all be able to see how everything works, if it works".

Actually due to the way UE4 works from a workflow perspective you can usually add VR to a project retrospectively and provided you set it up correctly (and haven't 'cheated' at any other point in the development process, particularly in terms of modelling) it works without a hitch.

Optimisation then becomes the biggest hurdle but that's what extensive graphics option menus are for :)

I wouldn't be too worried. UE4 is very robust In terms of VR support.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Actually due to the way UE4 works from a workflow perspective you can usually add VR to a project retrospectively and provided you set it up correctly (and haven't 'cheated' at any other point in the development process, particularly in terms of modelling) it works without a hitch.

Optimisation then becomes the biggest hurdle but that's what extensive graphics option menus are for :)

I wouldn't be too worried. UE4 is very robust In terms of VR support.
I guess I'm just a little concerned that it's Kunos's "intention" to include VR support, rather than a priority. I might be reading too much into a non-native English speaker's comments though. VR users are a tiny minority in an already niche market and I'd be pissed off, but not entirely surprised, if official VR support was not forthcoming if it ended up being a pain in the ass. I'm sure Ilja would soon knock it up in an afternoon if it wasn't though.

I won't be buying ACC without it though. Pancake sim racing is a Jacobean concept that has no place in a modern civilised society.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm just a little concerned that it's Kunos's "intention" to include VR support, rather than a priority. I might be reading too much into a non-native English speaker's comments though. VR users are a tiny minority in an already niche market and I'd be pissed off, but not entirely surprised, if official VR support was not forthcoming if it ended up being a pain in the ass. I'm sure Ilja would soon knock it up in an afternoon if it wasn't though.

I won't be buying ACC without it though. Pancake sim racing is a Jacobean concept that has no place in a modern civilised society.

ok-then.gif

Well then... I'll see myself out!

mclaren777

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Controversial opinion: I still enjoy netKar Pro more than Assetto Corsa

Kunos almost seems to be regressing in my eyes.