• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
ok-then.gif

Well then... I'll see myself out!
Huh?

Oct 28, 2017
1117_p8iund4fygjg4.png

And there it is, time to get the last few tracks I'm missing and maybe some more open wheel cars.

About £40/$60 for everything in real money if you get vRP from the raceroom store.

Last edited:

spuck

Oct 28, 2017
London
The thing about VR for me -- while I'm sure it's great and I can definitely see the appeal to it (when it works properly) -- is that it should be a secondary/optional way to play the game. The primary focus should be to make the feel/handling/physics/FFB top notch, and only once those things have been delivered to the expected level should enhancements like VR and/or AR be implemented.

OldGit_Gamer

Oct 27, 2017
Rochester, UK.
The thing about VR for me -- while I'm sure it's great and I can definitely see the appeal to it (when it works properly) -- is that it should be a secondary/optional way to play the game. The primary focus should be to make the feel/handling/physics/FFB top notch, and only once those things have been delivered to the expected level should enhancements like VR and/or AR be implemented.

Yup, VR should be an enhancement to sim racing games, not the default.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone would disagree that those things should be high on the priority list, but graphics aren't normally left until after the feel/handling/physics/FFB are resolved, and surely VR support would come under the 'graphics' umbrella? They're normally developed in tandem aren't they? I guess it all depends how important Kunos think VR is to ACC, and from the noises they're making it sounds like it might be low down the list at the moment.

spuck

Oct 28, 2017
London
I don't think anyone would disagree that those things should be high on the priority list, but graphics aren't normally left until after the feel/handling/physics/FFB are resolved, and surely VR support would come under the 'graphics' umbrella? They're normally developed in tandem aren't they? I guess it all depends how important Kunos think VR is to ACC, and from the noises they're making it sounds like it might be low down the list at the moment.

I dunno man. I don't really know anything about project cycles in game development, so I can't say if VR and graphics fall under the same category. VR is obviously super important to you, but all I'm saying is that I personally wouldn't rule out a game because details on it are scarce or its implementation is in doubt. I couldn't care less about VR if ACC turns out with with the best physics and FFB in sim racing today. I love AC (without VR), so ACC is day one for me.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno man. I don't really know anything about project cycles in game development, so I can't say if VR and graphics fall under the same category. VR is obviously super important to you, but all I'm saying is that I personally wouldn't rule out a game because details on it are scarce or its implementation is in doubt. I couldn't care less about VR if ACC turns out with with the best physics and FFB in sim racing today. I love AC (without VR), so ACC is day one for me.
I'm definitely not ruling it out because nothing is set in stone, I'm just being cautiously pessimistic I guess. I'm afraid I've been totally ruined by VR and can't race without it now. Even testing a new wheel in 2D last night was horrible, lol. I wish it wasn't the case and I could happily flit between the two like a lot of people do (maybe triples would help) but it seems like such a regressive step after the immersion of binocular 3D and freedom of movement. So if ACC is 2D only then it's a pass for me, I'm afraid.
I'm sure I'm worrying about nothing though.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, will see how RRE runs on my PC at home, might pick up that pro pack.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it was up to me I'd have all sims from now on developed first and foremost with VR in mind. Simulation is a given regardless of the output but certain UX elements are only going to be sorted by approaching it from VR first which can be easily transferred to a simple UI on a standard display but not as easy to do the other way without just throwing the UI on some floating plane that is always a bit shit in VR whereas they could have something that really adds to the simulation aspect of a track day or race weekend.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it was up to me I'd have all sims from now on developed first and foremost with VR in mind. Simulation is a given regardless of the output but certain UX elements are only going to be sorted by approaching it from VR first which can be easily transferred to a simple UI on a standard display but not as easy to do the other way without just throwing the UI on some floating plane that is always a bit shit in VR whereas they could have something that really adds to the simulation aspect of a track day or race weekend.

VR is still far too niche to make this a focus like that. The reason they can do it this way without needing to worry about anything is because UE4 has VR support out of the box so you can retrospectively add it to a project. There are also a couple of plug-ins available for UE4 that will allow you to make any existing UI elements fully VR compatible.

The only ways I can see them having issues with adding VR to an UE4 project are if they have skimped on modelling (I.e. Car interiors are not fully modelled outside of the 2D players cone of vision, which I highly doubt given the standard of their models in AC) or if their graphics options are not scaleable enough to enable players to get the desired performance in VR. The latter comes down to optimisation which often comes last anyway (rightly or wrongly).

You build a game for your primary target audience first and then make any adjustments neccesary to appease the niche audiences after.

Last edited:

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
There's a street circuit coming to rFactor 2 tomorrow, free of charge! Looks great from the cockpit BUT the promotional video is atrocious. 20ish fps, tracksides camera placed next to incredibly low quality textures and someone forgot to switch on full quality shadows. Ewwwww.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I hate PC gaming sometimes. I noticed a couple weeks ago that R3E was no longer recognizing my GT2 wheel (using the SRM adapter with my OSW). I remember reading about an update for R3E that was causing issues with some USB devices along with no FFB with OSWs. Fast forward to yesterday when I finally turned my PC off for the first time in weeks to clean it out; I believe it installed some updates in the reboot process. Get it turned back on and everything seems to work except my GT2 wheel is not being recognized at all now. I open the Fanatec software and it doesn't even show up. I've unplugged it and plugged it back up, even went through the hassle of updating the firmware for the SRM adapter and still nothing. The last thing I can try tonight is bypassing the powered USB hub and plugging it straight into my PC with a USB extension.

Shit like this is so fucking frustrating. :/

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR is still far too niche to make this a focus like that. The reason they can do it this way without needing to worry about anything is because UE4 has VR support out of the box so you can retrospectively add it to a project. There are also a couple of plug-ins available for UE4 that will allow you to make any existing UI elements fully VR compatible.

The only ways I can see them having issues with adding VR to an UE4 project are if they have skimped on modelling (I.e. Car interiors are not fully modelled outside of the 2D players cone of vision, which I highly doubt given the standard of their models in AC) or if their graphics options are not scaleable enough to enable players to get the desired performance in VR. The latter comes down to optimisation which often comes last anyway (rightly or wrongly).

You build a game for your primary target audience first and then make any adjustments neccesary to appease the niche audiences after.

Oh I know all this, that's why I said if it was up to me but I'd make everything VR compatible. Would be interesting to see how prevalent VR is within the sim racing community.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I hate PC gaming sometimes. I noticed a couple weeks ago that R3E was no longer recognizing my GT2 wheel (using the SRM adapter with my OSW). I remember reading about an update for R3E that was causing issues with some USB devices along with no FFB with OSWs. Fast forward to yesterday when I finally turned my PC off for the first time in weeks to clean it out; I believe it installed some updates in the reboot process. Get it turned back on and everything seems to work except my GT2 wheel is not being recognized at all now. I open the Fanatec software and it doesn't even show up. I've unplugged it and plugged it back up, even went through the hassle of updating the firmware for the SRM adapter and still nothing. The last thing I can try tonight is bypassing the powered USB hub and plugging it straight into my PC with a USB extension.

Shit like this is so fucking frustrating. :/
Amen to that. I'm trying to sort out a whole bunch of problems with new hardware at the moment. It's a fucking twatwaffle.

How is your BMW GT2 wheel? I have an option to buy one cheap.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I like it. Just needs to start working again, lol. I'm not at a point in my life where I need to be stressing over stupid USB/hardware issues.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just dug in to the DTM 2016 stuff in raceroom (took the M4 for a spin round Hockenheim) for the first time and it's a delight.

Where have you been all my life.

If you have bought stuff in raceroom but haven't bought the DTM stuff then you are doing it wrong.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AMG-Mercedes C-Klasse DTM 1995 Released for Raceroom

The AMG-Mercedes C-Klasse DTM 1995 is one of the most iconic touring cars to ever compete in the European racing scene. The DTM became international in 1995 through the parallel inception of the International Touring Car Series (ITC) with races in Italy, Finland, the United Kingdom, Portugal and France. Mercedes driver Bernd Schneider dominated the season and clinched both titles.

http://game.raceroom.com/store/cars/c-klasse-dtm-1995/mercedes/amg-mercedes-c-klasse-dtm-1995

It's 3.98 Euros or 399 VVVVVRP.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
This is what I was afraid of. It's still cheaper to purchase the discounted Ultimate Edition of AC rather than each piece of DLC (30% off). However, since I already own the base game, it's only letting me purchase UE as a gift.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is what I was afraid of. It's still cheaper to purchase the discounted Ultimate Edition of AC rather than each piece of DLC (30% off). However, since I already own the base game, it's only letting me purchase UE as a gift.

Is it too late to request a refund?

Even if you're over the two hour played period it's worth submitting a request anyway as you might get lucky.

Get a refund then rebuy the UE.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Is it too late to request a refund?

Even if you're over the two hour played period it's worth submitting a request anyway as you might get lucky.

Get a refund then rebuy the UE.
Yeah I put in a request. 5.3hrs of playtime and purchased over two months ago. We'll see. I can always ask them to simply remove it from my library.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Just upgraded from my Fanatec CSR Elite to a CSWv2.5 (long story) but am getting no FFB at all in AC or pCARS. I get weakish FFB in R3E though.
Any ideas?

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017

I think it *might* be a Windows or controller profile issue, not a hardware issue. I'm guessing the sims think it's still my old CSR Elite wheel, or knows it's a CSW but has kept some data from the previous CSR-E profile. Getting this sorted is time-sensitive because if it IS a hardware issue I need to have a serious discussion with the seller, and soon.

A bit more info:

• Cars steer & change gear, just with absolutely NO FFB effects in pCARS or Assetto Corsa. I got mild FFB effects in R3E when I tried that last night. Anyone have recommended settings for a CSWv2.5/R3E so I can test it properly?
  • FW and drivers updated on the wheel base.
  • Tried with a P1 Elite rim and a Porsche 918 RSR rim.
  • On-wheel and in-game settings both tweaked, various values used from low to high.
  • Windows 10 PC.
  • Previous wheel was a CSR Elite and everything worked fine.
  • FFB test in Fanatec profiler seems to work (wheel shakes hard)
  • Steam Big Picture Mode controller settings all unchecked
  • Disabled GeForce experience

Betta Lines, as our resident expert on all things Fanatec, do you have any ideas, or have you come across this type of thing before?
Anyone know the best way to do a bleach clean of all Fanatec settings to see if starting from absolute scratch will solve it?

GAAAAH! I thought long and hard before sticking with Fanatec as opposed to going the OSW route, but decided to stay loyal. I hope I don't end up regretting this..!

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Mascot As PC users, there's a tendency to sit in front of our self-builds, try to isolate problems and hopefully fix ourselves. Recently, I spent 60-90 mins trying to overcome a Fanatec problem, trying all manner of typical solutions, rebooting, reinstalling, trying different USB ports etc. Eventually I contacted Live Fanatec support and 30 secs later is was fixed. I then had a separate issue and once again wasted 60-90 mins of my life, before contacting Fanatec and them solving it in 30 secs.

From now on, I'm giving up on solving things myself and contacting manufactures directly. They know their stuff.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Mascot As PC users, there's a tendency to sit in front of our self-builds, try to isolate problems and hopefully fix ourselves. Recently, I spent 60-90 mins trying to overcome a Fanatec problem, trying all manner of typical solutions, rebooting, reinstalling, trying different USB ports etc. Eventually I contacted Live Fanatec support and 30 secs later is was fixed. I then had a separate issue and once again wasted 60-90 mins of my life, before contacting Fanatec and them solving it in 30 secs.

From now on, I'm giving up on solving things myself and contacting manufactures directly. They know their stuff.
Sage words, my friend. I'll endeavour to do that, but I'm guessing the first thing they might ask for is an invoice number.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Try going to support, entering your product and filling in an email support form. Just before you go to send the form, you'll be given the option for live chat.
Thanks, that worked. Just got off with them, they suggest uninstalling/reinstalling the games. This will bork my mods though, won't it?
I'll try installing a brand new sim. Any suggestions? Automobilista has good FFB doesn't it?