• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great news. It's the title that finally got me to source a wheel, albeit only a DFGT with a wheel stand which was useful.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
IRacing sub renewed... why do I always keep going back...

I'll run the Ferrari 488 GT3 challenge series for a month and see how I go.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
I like Chris' channel a lot, I think he's my favourite content creator.

I finally buckled and ordered an Oculus Rift. I've been waiting since July for them to go on sale, with the ultimate aim of picking one up cheap during Black Friday sales. I haven't seen them on sale over these past few months and got tired of waiting, so ones on the way. Hopefully it'll be here mid week.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like Chris' channel a lot, I think he's my favourite content creator.

I finally buckled and ordered an Oculus Rift. I've been waiting since July for them to go on sale, with the ultimate aim of picking one up cheap during Black Friday sales. I haven't seen them on sale over these past few months and got tired of waiting, so ones on the way. Hopefully it'll be here mid week.

Welcome aboard the VR train.

What comes next is endless agonising over potential computer upgrades...

Speaking of VR, where is Mascot these days? I hope he doesn't feel chased away because of the whole 45fps discussion that went on, would be a great shame :(

Seems appropriate..

Love the colour palette of iRacing

Yeh I love his content. If I hadn't already decided on the 488 GT3 challenge then that video would have persuaded me!

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A GT3 series with a fixed setup sounds appealing to me. Maybe next time there's a big sale on the iRacing sub I'll have a go.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Welcome aboard the VR train.

What comes next is endless agonising over potential computer upgrades...

Speaking of VR, where is Mascot these days? I hope he doesn't feel chased away because of the whole 45fps discussion that went on, would be a great shame :(
Coincidentally, I messaged him on Racedepartment a few hours ago, asking what had happened to his participation here. No reply yet though.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Coincidentally, I messaged him on Racedepartment a few hours ago, asking what had happened to his participation here. No reply yet though.
That would be bloody sad if Mascot has left. No need to be arguing over subjective stuff.

marvelharvey - any ideas on the rain and water reflection settings in rF2?

I don't see any difference between the Low presets and Ultra presets. I do know the ultra rain reflection settings adds reflection blurring to objects generated for wet road and heat mirages but buggered if I can see the difference.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
marvelharvey - any ideas on the rain and water reflection settings in rF2?

I don't see any difference between the Low presets and Ultra presets. I do know the ultra rain reflection settings adds reflection blurring to objects generated for wet road and heat mirages but buggered if I can see the difference.
Despite my love for wet weather driving, I've shelved it in rF2, while I'm waiting for
-Low grip on the racing line in rain
-Aquaplaning
-Rain AI improvements (not just the driving, but the pitstop strategy. It's easy to win LMP2/GTE races with a GTE, because the AI keep pitting at the slightest change in weather. 4 or 5 stops vs my 1. Marcel "The AI is fine as is" Offerman really needs to play his own game sometimes)

So err, that's me in a very roundabout way saying that I stopped wet weather racing a while back and have no idea what the settings should be sadly.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Despite my love for wet weather driving, I've shelved it in rF2, while I'm waiting for
-Low grip on the racing line in rain
-Aquaplaning
-Rain AI improvements (not just the driving, but the pitstop strategy. It's easy to win LMP2/GTE races with a GTE, because the AI keep pitting at the slightest change in weather. 4 or 5 stops vs my 1. Marcel "The AI is fine as is" Offerman really needs to play his own game sometimes)

So err, that's me in a very roundabout way saying that I stopped wet weather racing a while back and have no idea what the settings should be sadly.
I'd ask for an answer on the official forums but I've found questions result in either an arguement rather than an answer, a snide drive-by comment or an off topic discussion about the merits of rF2 versus every other sim.

Marcel does need to play his sim and get more QA testers on board. I was informed by Reiza when I applied to be a tester of the Reiza DLC pack they had 2 weeks to test before the pack was released; I think it's been 5-6 weeks since that PM!

Thanks for replying either way; at least you're still playing rF2! I'm finding my enthusiasm for simracing waning; even ACC bores me after a few laps.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
GHG I have a 1070 8GB/16GB/i7 setup so I'm hoping things will run pretty well and I'll be able to avoid upgrades for a couple years. I'm pretty excited.

I too wonder what happened to Mascot. I hope he comes back.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 September Roadmap: https://www.studio-397.com/2018/10/roadmap-update-september-2018/

Expo talk, new shaders and lighting, two new tracks - Nurburgring (DLC) and Botniaring (Free), UI update and Competition news.

I wrote and rewrote a ton of essay-length replies, all agreeing with you in some way, but I couldn't quite nail what I wanted to say. So this is all you get ;)
Ha! All good. I wasn't looking for an 'Aww shucks' response from the forum - it actually felt liberating posting the comment.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
I've noticed in some VR Racing videos that the image is also displayed on a screen. Is it possible to have the image full screen as if I was playing on the monitor, but also in the headset? I was thinking it'd be fun to let my friends who aren't competent on a sim wear the headset and experience some laps at speed in VR while I'm driving.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I've noticed in some VR Racing videos that the image is also displayed on a screen. Is it possible to have the image full screen as if I was playing on the monitor, but also in the headset? I was thinking it'd be fun to let my friends who aren't competent on a sim wear the headset and experience some laps at speed in VR while I'm driving.
Yes, but the method of mirroring your VR on the monitor it's game dependent. Which game are you driving?

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
rF2 September Roadmap: https://www.studio-397.com/2018/10/roadmap-update-september-2018/

Expo talk, new shaders and lighting, two new tracks - Nurburgring (DLC) and Botniaring (Free), UI update and Competition news.
Always nice to hear of new free stuff.
Ha! All good. I wasn't looking for an 'Aww shucks' response from the forum - it actually felt liberating posting the comment.
Now that I've slept, I can summarise the three points I was trying to make:

1) I think it's only the cost of my rig that keeps my regularly sim-racing.
2) Over the next few months, ACC, rF2 and iRacing will have substantial changes and I kinda don't want to play them too much now, knowing that most of my issues will be fixed in the future.
3) I find that knowing what is coming in the future makes my play games less, for the reason above. And due to me having limited knowledge of what is coming in R3E, it's my most played sim at the moment.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you just wanted to mirror the headset. If you want to show a fixed camera on the monitor, I'm not sure if that's possible.

I'm OK with only mirroring the headset, I just meant that it'd be ideal if it was a fixed view on the monitor so I could drive a normal lap and they could look all around and explore without affecting my driving.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
I'm so excited for the Rift, I can't stop checking the tracking number haha.

GHG How are you liking your headset you got recently?

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so excited for the Rift, I can't stop checking the tracking number haha.

GHG How are you liking your headset you got recently?

Really enjoying it!

Tried it in iRacing for the first time today and I actually think that's the sim that runs best in VR on my system. Maybe it's because there are no AI calculations to take into account but I'm able to get it looking really good and maintain 90fps most of the time. My resub is worth it for this alone.

Let us know when yours arrives, will be interested to hear how you get on.

Almost makes me wanna set up my wheel again. Zolder has a really nice flow.

DoIt.gif

Got my lap times down to 1.29's in online practice sessions today, I'll hit some races tomorrow now that I'm comfortable with the car on this track.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Got my lap times down to 1.29's in online practice sessions today, I'll hit some races tomorrow now that I'm comfortable with the car on this track.
This is my first time driving the Ferrari... it feels light and nervous as hell. I have no confidence driving this thing. I can't seem to trail brake like I can in the BMW or Mercedes. Probably because the Ferrari is mid engined.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
If any of you guys want to get together and try to get in the same split for Ferrari Challenge, let me know. I'd be happy to race with you all

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is my first time driving the Ferrari... it feels light and nervous as hell. I have no confidence driving this thing. I can't seem to trail brake like I can in the BMW or Mercedes. Probably because the Ferrari is mid engined.

Yeh it takes some getting used to.

Honestly, my advice is to take the fixed setup and apply it in an offline practice session around Oulton Park or Nords (or whatever other tight and bumpy farmers path race track you might have) and just drive, drive, drive to learn the car. Once you feel comfortable then take it to Zolder and it will feel like a breeze.

I didn't do any races around Oulton Park in it because I only resubbed on Sunday so didn't have enough time to get used to the car around that track before the tracks changed but the time I did spend with the car around there proved to be valuable.

You can trail brake in it but you need to be very, very progressive whereas with the other cars mentioned you can be a bit more aggressive with your trail braking. Also try not to let the ABS kick in too much, it overheats the front tires quite quickly and that leads to a nervous car that is somehow also prone to understeer.

RoyalJello

Jul 29, 2018
Oh man. I keep playing DiRT (even the DiRT Showdown game). I kind of want to pick up that mid 2000s racing sim that's supposedly the most accurate rally game ever - Richard Burns Rally.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
If any of you guys want to get together and try to get in the same split for Ferrari Challenge, let me know. I'd be happy to race with you all
What time zone are you in? I will probably join the races today at UTC 14:30, UTC 15:30 and UTC 16:30 (23.30, 00.30 and 1.30 here in Japan)
Yeh it takes some getting used to.
I'll want another 50 laps practice before racing. I've got my homework cut out tonight :)

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone here is hotlapping in iRacing with a ghost and it's blinking, go to sound options and turn off voice chat. Weird bug.

Also, in a week of stupid bugs: if you're playing MICROSOFT Forza Horizon 4 on MICROSOFT Windows 10 and you have a MICROSOFT Windows Mixer Reality headset plugged in, the game will crash after the opening cutscene. Doesn't matter if WMR software or SteamVR is running or not, it's only if the WMR headset USB is connected to your computer.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
It looks like my Rift will arrive tomorrow. Any tips on setting up the sensors for sim racing? The majority of videos and articles I've seen so far focus on setting them up for 360 tracking or large play spaces.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I only use one sensor and it sits behind my monitor. No need for two if you're just using it for sim racing.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Yep it's really not critical where you put the single sensor, but it makes sense to have it pointing towards the front of the headset, within about 100 degrees of the centre. You could have it at one side, or even behind your head, but there are fewer IR dots for the camera to see in those positions (and it will confuse some games with the starting position before you do a centre reset). It also needs to be raised enough so that your steering wheel and hands aren't disrupting the line of sight. Also don't have the sensor attached to / resting on the same equipment that your wheel is attached to (unless you have a rock-solid rig) because any shaking from the FFB or your steering inputs will disrupt the tracking.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks Dave_6 and Betta Lines

I thought I'd heard something about only using a single sensor for sim racing but couldn't remember. I'm really looking forward to getting the headset and trying it out.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
My Rift arrived today. I got it all setup with relative ease and into AC. I must admit, I wasn't as mind blown as I thought I'd be, but it's great and it felt natural and comfortable from the start. No motion sickness after about 30 mins behind the wheel, but some odd sensations when spinning or catching moments. No real learning curve so far, I was right back on the same pace as I was on single screen, but with slightly messy laps so there's definitely time to come as I get more comfortable with the headset.

I was a bit worried about using it with glasses, but it hasn't been a problem so far. I'm still playing with the lens control to find the sweet spot in near vs. far focus. Very pleased with my purchase.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My Rift arrived today. I got it all setup with relative ease and into AC. I must admit, I wasn't as mind blown as I thought I'd be, but it's great and it felt natural and comfortable from the start. No motion sickness after about 30 mins behind the wheel, but some odd sensations when spinning or catching moments. No real learning curve so far, I was right back on the same pace as I was on single screen, but with slightly messy laps so there's definitely time to come as I get more comfortable with the headset.

I was a bit worried about using it with glasses, but it hasn't been a problem so far. I'm still playing with the lens control to find the sweet spot in near vs. far focus. Very pleased with my purchase.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Yeh I expected it to be mind blowing as well but with the current generation of VR hardware it takes time to appreciate what it offers. The resolutions are too low for it to be "mind blowing" but once you get used to it you'll realise that it's much more natural than playing on a 2D monitor.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Glad you're enjoying it.

Yeh I expected it to be mind blowing as well but with the current generation of VR hardware it takes time to appreciate what it offers. The resolutions are too low for it to be "mind blowing" but once you get used to it you'll realise that it's much more natural than playing on a 2D monitor.

I think the main reason for lack of mind blowing, for me anyways, was just how natural it all felt. It was like sitting in my roadcar, then once I started lapping it all fell into place and it felt like I was lapping a real race track again. I was looking through the corners, looking up the road, etc.

I'm very much impressed and glad I made the jump.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
I think the main reason for lack of mind blowing, for me anyways, was just how natural it all felt. It was like sitting in my roadcar, then once I started lapping it all fell into place and it felt like I was lapping a real race track again. I was looking through the corners, looking up the road, etc.

I'm very much impressed and glad I made the jump.
The mind blowing part is where you park by the side of the track, get out of your rig, walk around your car, and watch the other cars go by. (This is easier with room scale tracking, but possible with a single camera too.) Just don't walk into anything!

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
This is a stunning video; after watching, I can't help but wonder if Kunos should have stuck with their own graphics engine as the modders have done an amazing job.

The AC track now mirrors the rF2 version ;)

Last edited: