• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is going on with Oculus? (Rhetorical question) Every forum is full of people complaining about this latest update.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
If only I had a rift! Sadly I'm stuck with whatever solution Microsoft has. They seem to be a few months behind oculus, but I'm sure I'll see an improvement at some point in the future.

Which, sadly, is a lot better than what Valve uses. You MS guys actually have a much better solution that MS submitted into SteamVR for your devices. Us Vive owners are significantly worse than you guys. Cause somebody at Valve decided this shouldn't be a crutch for devs to rely on (and should aim for 90fps instead). And they're going to die defending that hill (it seems).

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
That's a GOTY, right?
In these politically-correct times, if everybody's special then nobody's special, right..? ;)

I really should buy that pCARS 2 Deluxe for £19 but (like ACC at the moment) I just know it'll remain largely unplayed. I've got my hands full updating AC tracks with AO and night light configs, and updating splash screens, and retesting cars with wipers in rainy conditions, and going through all my cars and tracks and rating them (and - shock/horror - even deleting some of the stinkers)... then just when you think you're getting on top of it all a new car or track mod appears out of nowhere that demands attention. Thanks God I barely touch car tuning or I'd never do any actual driving. I've even started doing basic guff like patching in Red Arrows-type formation flyovers on some tracks and adding balloons and airships where none previously existed. Bernese Alps in particular looks fantastic with a Goodyear blimp hovering over the high point of the track and a hot-air balloon over the lake. Oh, and I've also started messing about with configs to correct things like janky shifting animations, and driver's hands rotating at a different speed to the steering wheel.

TLDR, I've barely got time for everything I want to do in AC without any other sims getting thrown into the mix.

Still... £19. Mmmmm.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
It's a trap Mascot... don't do it!
I said a long time ago I'd bite at a £10 GOTY and I'm sticking to my guns, dammit.

Edit: meant to post this earlier in case you haven't seen it.
It's effectively a DIY D-Box system that actually outperforms D-Box for a fraction of the price (around £2k-ish for all four actuators). There are a few bods at RD already deep into it and at least one is up and running. He says it's amazing.
https://github.com/SimFeedback/SimFeedback-AC-Servo/wiki

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
In these politically-correct times, if everybody's special then nobody's special, right..? ;)
Not special enough to add more long term plans to the sim.

I really should buy that pCARS 2 Deluxe for £19 but (like ACC at the moment) I just know it'll remain largely unplayed. I've got my hands full updating AC tracks with AO and night light configs, and updating splash screens, and retesting cars with wipers in rainy conditions, and going through all my cars and tracks and rating them (and - shock/horror - even deleting some of the stinkers)... then just when you think you're getting on top of it all a new car or track mod appears out of nowhere that demands attention. Thanks God I barely touch car tuning or I'd never do any actual driving. I've even started doing basic guff like patching in Red Arrows-type formation flyovers on some tracks and adding balloons and airships where none previously existed. Bernese Alps in particular looks fantastic with a Goodyear blimp hovering over the high point of the track and a hot-air balloon over the lake. Oh, and I've also started messing about with configs to correct things like janky shifting animations, and driver's hands rotating at a different speed to the steering wheel..
To think SMS were criticised for adding such objects into Shift and Unleashed to add atmosphere and the community patches could remove this stuff!

Now we have modders adding this into a 'sim' to improve the atmosphere although AC has a very dull trackside.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
To think SMS were criticised for adding such objects into Shift and Unleashed to add atmosphere and the community patches could remove this stuff!

Now we have modders adding this into a 'sim' to improve the atmosphere although AC has a very dull trackside.

I'm up for anything that makes the environment seem more alive and less sterile. What do people have against balloons and blimps? They are pretty common at racing circuits (as are ferris wheels and even rollercoasters).

Oct 28, 2017
Ha ha..! Ridiculous isn't it? Who in their right mind is going to spend that?
Are you investigating the SFX-100? My only concern is it punching a hole through my game room floor and landing in the lounge below.
Yeh, £9k for the package brings it right into D-Box territory! I'll reserve judgment until I've seen some reviews, you never know it could be better than the D-Box and then it would justify the price at least, wouldn't be as compact though.

Looked at them but not a fan of 3D printed stuff and more importantly those type of actuators make way too much noise for me.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm up for anything that makes the environment seem more alive and less sterile. What do people have against balloons and blimps? They are pretty common at racing circuits (as are ferris wheels and even rollercoasters).

Same. The more, the merrier.

Also, helicopters. I think I still prefer balloons, but a good helicopter (or jets that flyover) will impress me too.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
The Shift series was OTT with the trackside objects, depending on who you listened to.

To be honest, I don't care about what the modders do with adding all manner of objects etc; As I said AC trackside feels like a club day with little to no people or objects in the Kunos tracks.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
How do you add these things to AC? Are the mods on RD?
I *think* Kunos only intended balloons as moveable objects in Assetto Corsa track environments, but some modders must have realised that a plane is only a fast-moving balloon with the model swapped out. I started looking at it just to try to swap some of the black balloons in Reboot tracks for something more colourful and balloon-like (I mean, black balloons? They are like harbingers of doom). It's pretty easy to identify the balloon kn5 and just copy a different balloon one, or blimp one, or helicopter one, or passenger plane (and probably rename it appropriately, although 12.kn5 seems to be used for balloons a lot) from another track. For tracks with no balloons/planes/helicopters/blimps at all you just copy the kn5 AND the relevant models.ini from a track folder that has them. There's a whole bunch of variables in the models.ini regarding starting position, speed, direction, elevation changes etc, plus randomisers to (for example) change the starting positions etc. Everything is triggered as soon as you enter the track so if you want jet fighters to buzz over the track a few laps in you have to start them many miles away. The passenger airliners taking off from Donington every few minutes are just a chain of planes starting underneath the map and flying at an ascending rate so they periodically appear as if they are taking off from the adjacent airfield. It's quite clever manipulation.

Anyway, tell me more about your VR adventures!

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
I thought FEI would only be for the "canned" driver level effects, like when a game says when driving over cobblestone "mix in rumble effect effect now 3Hz, strength x" and FEI would scale the strength.
How does this work then? Is this some "maximum change in acceleration/force per time"or is this force smoothing applied to all game input forces?
I'm not permitted to give the full technical explanation, but it is effectively a smoothing filter for all forces.
Pour one out for a fallen hero...
Hopefully now resolved :)

Tarbaby

Jun 26, 2018
Anyone know if F1 2016 supports high refresh rates? or if the 2017 does? I see that its on sale on Steam and was considering it.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
I been playing a bit with Ilja's Shader Mod the past few days. I'm not entirely clear what VAO and the Config files do, can anyone shed some light?

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Mascot, thanks for the link. I was pretty certain the config files controlled the lights around the track but the VAO files were pretty fuzzy for me. I wasn't sure if you could use VAO without config and vice versa. This cleared it all up. It's absolutely what people like Ilja and Peter Boese are doing with AC.

Deleted member 8245

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't even realise there were releases for the shader mod that weren't listed on Ilja's site. I guess my version is way behind. Dammit.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyway, tell me more about your VR adventures!

I absolutely love it, even though its making me want to upgrade my PC hardware ASAP.

Funnily enough AC isn't actually my go-to VR game, iRacing is. It has the perfect balance of performance and looks for my hardware in VR.

I will return to AC at some point but now I'm resubbed to iRacing they have me trapped again :) . Really enjoying the Ferrari 488 challenge series.

Speaking of VR... Has anyone tried ACC since the latest VR update? Is it better than it was in the first couple of days when the Bentley GT3 content released?

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of VR... Has anyone tried ACC since the latest VR update? Is it better than it was in the first couple of days when the Bentley GT3 content released?
Initially, no, it was just as terrible.

But soon after, many people posted some engine.ini tweaks that not only improve the look of ACC, but it's performance too. I'm using the following...
edit engine.ini file located inside

C:\Users\"your name"\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

add this lines

[ConsoleVariables]
r.TemporalAACatmullRom=1
r.TemporalAAPauseCorrect=1
r.TemporalAASamples=4
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=4
vr.PixelDensity=1.4
r.SeparateTranslucency=0
r.HZBOcclusion=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.PostProcessAAQuality=4
r.BloomQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.SSR.Quality=1
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=48
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.SSR.MaxRoughness=0.1
r.RHICmdBypass=0
r.DetailMode=1
r.RefractionQuality=2
r.MaterialQualityLevel=1
sg.ShadowQuality=2
(vr.PixelDensity =super sampling value. You may want to balance this depending on your headset/GPU)

However, I still shelved it after a few laps. It's still a little too Early Access at the moment.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it did fix a serious problem with the positional tracking, but I agree, it's not where it needs to be yet. Hoping for triple screen support... does anyone know another UE4 game that does triple screen (properly)?

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Initially, no, it was just as terrible.

But soon after, many people posted some engine.ini tweaks that not only improve the look of ACC, but it's performance too. I'm using the following...

(vr.PixelDensity =super sampling value. You may want to balance this depending on your headset/GPU)

However, I still shelved it after a few laps. It's still a little too Early Access at the moment.

Tried this last night and it made quite a difference in a positive way.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
AC Track mod - Monaco 1966 updated: https://actrackrebootproject.wixsite.com/ac-track-re-boot/monaco1966

Monaco Grand Prix 1966 V1.2

- Added Lights Config (For Those using the Curtom Shader Mod see track folder for lighting configs and VAO Patch and copy to appropriate folders (thanks to Blamer for the initial config) Highly recommended for night version

- Tweaked Performance all round

- Added window reflections to all buildings

- Added Track lamps glows - See lighting config in track folder

- Loads of other little tweaks

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely love it, even though its making me want to upgrade my PC hardware ASAP.

Funnily enough AC isn't actually my go-to VR game, iRacing is. It has the perfect balance of performance and looks for my hardware in VR.

I will return to AC at some point but now I'm resubbed to iRacing they have me trapped again :) . Really enjoying the Ferrari 488 challenge series.

Cool! Very glad you are enjoying VR in sims. It's a whole different experience to racing in 2D, isn't it?
When you return to AC you'll probably find a whole host of new features with Ilja's shader mod and associated apps. I'm not sure how up to speed you are but a full 24-hr cycle is imminent, there's LED flag boards, night and rain obviously, variable rain, rain that stops under bridges/tunnels, automatic wipers with variable speed/intermittent, wet skins for a lot of tracks, animated track lights (eg ferris wheels), new loading screens, new weathers, VAO passes for most tracks (Kunos and mods), look-to-apex and other head movement, 3D adjustable mirrors with full reflections (absolutely awesome) and aspect ratio adjustment, track days with spawning cars spaced out around the track... crikey, a load more stuff I can't even remember right now. It's like a whole new game.

Also, not sure if the LA Canyons update has been championed here yet but it's fucking incredible.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/la-canyons.15067/

(it's also been improved even more since this video was shot)

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
SimBin: Happy 2nd birthday..

45375701652_5d26483552_o.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Btw. I made a thread 2h ago, asking people to share their experience using a racing wheel. It was more aimed at people who use it sporadically or couldn't get to terms with using one, but since the thread gained zero traction and I'd love to hear all your guys stories as well (though, then I would have just asked in here), maybe the one or other wants to share it over at the thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ffb-racing-wheels-share-your-personal-story.75833/

It might give the thread a second chance and then could also help people make a buying decision.
There are really very few of those stories out there. Most people just ask "I have $200, which one should I get?" and then at best follow that with "What settings are you using" a week later. Always leaves me wondering how they're doing.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Btw. I made a thread 2h ago, asking people to share their experience using a racing wheel. It was more aimed at people who use it sporadically or couldn't get to terms with using one, but since the thread gained zero traction and I'd love to hear all your guys stories as well (though, then I would have just asked in here), maybe the one or other wants to share it over at the thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ffb-racing-wheels-share-your-personal-story.75833/

It might give the thread a second chance and then could also help people make a buying decision.
There are really very few of those stories out there. Most people just ask "I have $200, which one should I get?" and then at best follow that with "What settings are you using" a week later. Always leaves me wondering how they're doing.
Kinda related?

https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...-think-steering-wheels-and-sim-racing.160050/

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I know - that's why I posted it.
:P
A thorough reader, I like it.

No, but I bet there are some interesting stories even in here. Seeing the pics of your old Microsoft wheel for example makes me interested what you thought of the experience and what games made you think that FFB is awesome and how it was to move to Fanatec. Was pCARS1 your first game that should be considered "sim" and that's why it hooked you so hard?

BigT, Betta and Marvelharvey must also have really great stories. And I almost don't know anything about TJP, when he started or what hardware he was and is on now.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cool! Very glad you are enjoying VR in sims. It's a whole different experience to racing in 2D, isn't it?
When you return to AC you'll probably find a whole host of new features with Ilja's shader mod and associated apps. I'm not sure how up to speed you are but a full 24-hr cycle is imminent, there's LED flag boards, night and rain obviously, variable rain, rain that stops under bridges/tunnels, automatic wipers with variable speed/intermittent, wet skins for a lot of tracks, animated track lights (eg ferris wheels), new loading screens, new weathers, VAO passes for most tracks (Kunos and mods), look-to-apex and other head movement, 3D adjustable mirrors with full reflections (absolutely awesome) and aspect ratio adjustment, track days with spawning cars spaced out around the track... crikey, a load more stuff I can't even remember right now. It's like a whole new game.

Also, not sure if the LA Canyons update has been championed here yet but it's fucking incredible.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/la-canyons.15067/

(it's also been improved even more since this video was shot)

All of that sounds amazing. Looks like we will have a modern spiritual successor to Gtr2 after all :)

I don't think my current rig will be able to handle all of that in VR though so I'll stick to pancake mode when I get round to trying it out after everything has come together.