• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Hmm... Looks like I'll need to do a bit more reading. A return would be more hassle than it's worth for me so that's out of the question and the VR market here is very small.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Hmm... Looks like I'll need to do a bit more reading. A return would be more hassle than it's worth for me so that's out of the question and the VR market here is very small.
From reports, the sensible thing would be a test fitting at a Samsung shop, assuming your country sells the O+.
How can Samsung get this so wrong? The specs, price and performance seem great.

In other news, FM7 Rio for Assetto:
(link updated)
https://sharemods.com/6qvfooj5ng5n/rio_0.1.rar.html

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
This looks pretty damn good.

What's the performance like? Is it puke City in VR?
Performance is pretty poor. This modder is good at accurate rips but seems to have no interest in optimising them. Only Alps runs well, Prague is OK for hot lapping, Maple Valley is unplayable for me. Rio ain't great.
Anyone with 3DSimED could optimise these tracks but it takes time.

Gold Coast for AC https://www.mediafire.com/file/ld9h7257mecahha/goldcoast.rar/file

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
LOL

Here's some useless drivel to break up the chain combo: I agree with the sentiment in the ACC thread. It's a real shame that sims are going the UE4 route. I feared ACC was going to have horrible IQ (at least in VR) and it saddens me they couldn't make it work using the UE4 forward+ renderer. Especially since they specifically mentioned IQ obsession for the reason they went forward rendering with the original AC. They were right with their original reasoning and should have continued that philosophy.

Or at least petition Unreal to allow there to be a deferred output that has no AA. Even "no AA" in that engine still has some forms of AA. And it eliminates the ability of super sampling to sharpen that image up. It's just slightly less jaggie (but retains all of the patented muddy look).

Last edited:

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert circuits from the Ride series? I just saw the tracklist for Ride 3 and they've included the Southern 100 Circuit which is one of my favourites.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if it's possible to convert circuits from the Ride series? I just saw the tracklist for Ride 3 and they've included the Southern 100 Circuit which is one of my favourites.

Ride 3 will be using UE4.

I don't think it's impossible but it would have been a lot easier had ACC supported mods :P . Although to be honest I suspect milestone will use encrypted .pak files so it will be impossible to directly access the track files anyway.

I'll be buying Ride 3 by the way, looks like it should be really good.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking hell, somebody break my combo, FFS..! Has everybody gone on holiday?
I've been pretty sick and haven't touched sim racing for about two weeks (sorry BigTakeover)

But beside being sick, my sim interest has waned somewhat over the past few months.

-waiting for the rF2 online competition structure, new kart stuff and PBR
-waiting for iRacing's new tyre model
-waiting for ACC to be v1.0
-waiting Reiza's next offering, whatever it may be
-waiting for VR v2.0 and foveated rendering
-waiting for whatever comes after the 2080ti

Only R3E has my attention at the moment and that's minimal. Two or so hours since the start of October.

Roll on 2019 I say! I'll be back in full force.

That being said, I'm slashing through my Switch backlog, so that's a plus.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017

I knew nothing of this game so just watched a random video. Looks good. Is VR supported? That would be a trip.
The rocky track in the second half of the video looks utterly gorgeous.

I've been pretty sick and haven't touched sim racing for about two weeks (sorry BigTakeover)

But beside being sick, my sim interest has waned somewhat over the past few months.

-waiting for the rF2 online competition structure, new kart stuff and PBR
-waiting for iRacing's new tyre model
-waiting for ACC to be v1.0
-waiting Reiza's next offering, whatever it may be
-waiting for VR v2.0 and foveated rendering
-waiting for whatever comes after the 2080ti

Only R3E has my attention at the moment and that's minimal. Two or so hours since the start of October.

Roll on 2019 I say! I'll be back in full force.

That being said, I'm slashing through my Switch backlog, so that's a plus.

Ha ha..! I had a week or so away from simming to try Destiny 2 (hey - it was free) and thought I wasn't missing it until I popped the HMD back on and realised "yep - this is pretty fucking awesome". You know me though, I'm easily pleased. I spend a lot of my seat time testing AC car, track and shader mods which are all still coming as a steady stream. The mod scene is as vibrant as ever. Even the slightly-ropey-and-unfinished FM7 track conversions are fun to hot-lap around, especially with the recent performance updates. Like the Gran Turismo track homages, there's something intangibly nice about revisiting old tracks in VR.

I'm also beta-testing a very large (24kms, I think) original circuit for a well-known track modder and honestly, it's a shit-ton of fun. It's basically a ribbon in space at the moment but I can't stop driving it. I think it'll eventually end up being an all-time classic.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Ride 3 will be using UE4.

I don't think it's impossible but it would have been a lot easier had ACC supported mods :P . Although to be honest I suspect milestone will use encrypted .pak files so it will be impossible to directly access the track files anyway.

I'll be buying Ride 3 by the way, looks like it should be really good.
There is a thread on RD where Milestone tracks are being taken from Ride and added to the MotoGP games and vice versa. Not sure if these are the current UE4 games or the old Milestone graphic engine games.

Ride 3 looks great although I want to see the game running as MotoGP 18 looked great in photo mode and less impressive in-game.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The Samsung Odysessy plus has gone live for 299.99 at a number of stores (MS, Newegg, pre-order at B&H). The old model is selling for 299.99 at Amazon, but they've also created a webpage for the new model. I think I'm gonna play a game of chicken and see if Amazon doesn't go live with that (cause I'd prefer the no hassle return for the many reasons I might want to return it).

TechnicMOC

Oct 28, 2017
Tempted by the Samsung Odyssey Plus but feel that my 970 is not going to be enough drive the extra resolution from the Rift CV1. Any one know what GPU I'll need to par it in the usual games?
Rift seems to have the tech advantage with ASW compared to other HMDs

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Tempted by the Samsung Odyssey Plus but feel that my 970 is not going to be enough drive the extra resolution from the Rift CV1. Any one know what GPU I'll need to par it in the usual games?

Yeah, I don't know. I have a 1070 and tend to SS everything to varying degrees (and that which can't, I tend to ignore because they look too bad to me). So I'm viewing this as already rendering my games at resolutions higher than what the Odyssey is using. Maybe I could still have a bit of SS on some games. But if you're running without any real super sampling, I'm not sure it's a road you wanna go down. WMR devices have some type of motion interpolation option with SteamVR, but I'm not sure how good it is.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I felt my 1080 wasn't enough to push the Samsung properly. I'd stick with the Rift for now.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some Odyssey plus impressions from someone who sim races and owns the original model:

Seems like fit is indeed a bit of an issue, it's a step down from the first model :/

I'm not going to risk it personally since returns would be an absolute ball ache. I'll stick with my Lenovo for now, its serving me well enough.

I think upgrading my CPU/Motherboard/RAM is a more pressing issue at the moment.

Last edited:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
The ergonomics seem to be a big issue with a lot of western users. I wonder if Samsung only developed the fit with Asian testers?
It's a big shame because the price and performance seem great. My Rift is so comfortable and balanced I can happily wear it for hours and forget it's on.
Maybe Samsung will release an updated version for Europe/USA.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The ergonomics seem to be a big issue with a lot of western users. I wonder if Samsung only developed the fit with Asian testers?
It's a big shame because the price and performance seem great. My Rift is so comfortable and balanced I can happily wear it for hours and forget it's on.

I'm black so I have no idea how the nose section will fit on me... unless someone can find me a review of the new headset from a black guy lol?!?

The deals are now live. Apparently you can get an additional $30 off on the Samsung website if you place the order and then go to cancel it.

I don't know why but deep down I'm still tempted to do this.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I'm black so I have no idea how the nose section will fit on me... unless someone can find me a review of the new headset from a black guy lol?!?

The deals are now live. Apparently you can get an additional $30 off on the Samsung website if you place the order and then go to cancel it.

I don't know why but deep down I'm still tempted to do this.
If you have family or friends in Europe then I'm sure you'd have no problem selling it on in those territories.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you have family or friends in Europe then I'm sure you'd have no problem selling it on in those territories.

B&H photo video are offering shipping to Dubai for $30 USD.

I ordered one.

RIP.

In all seriousness I hope it fits well. The price combined with the low shipping cost were too good to resist.

Computer upgrades in the new year.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, I'll grab it for a rainy day.

Total cost was $330.

There will be an additional import fee when it arrives but hopefully it won't be too much since the package shouldn't be huge.
That's a pretty good deal!
Look forward to your impressions, especially about fit and the no SDE filter.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I placed an order for one (finally). All my screwing around waiting for Amazon resulted in not a whole lot of options other than placing a backorder through the Samsung website. Mine isn't even shipping till the week of December 9th:(

There was someone on the Vive Reddit who was adament it was absolutely not designed for Asians (it really didn't fit him and he was Asian). He was beside himself who it was actually designed for. Guess we'll see if I hit the lotto or not. I'm decidedly central European in head shape.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks to those who provided RF2 FFB advice. I've been playing with spring/damping and getting close to what I want.

Mascot & GHG I haven't played any of the ride series yet but I'll likely try Ride 3. Really like they're including real road circuits like Billown, etc. I don't think there is VR support, hasn't been in 1 or 2 and I haven't heard anything on 3.

In RF2 in VR my head position seems really low. I raise the seat height all the way up using the keys I bound to those controls, but it's still way too low. The top of the wheel is normally higher or inline with my eyeline. I try resetting position with the VR headset and it doesn't change anything. It's undriveable for me in VR right now. Everything is perfectly fine in AC. I wonder what's going on in RF2?

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
This Skoda Octavia Cup 2018 for AC is a great little car. Be sure to use factory assists for now or jank may happen with the steering.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/skoda-octavia-cup-2018.24099/

ZtsKMTH.jpg

aBwkWt2.jpg

Whoah! Giant pictures!

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks to those who provided RF2 FFB advice. I've been playing with spring/damping and getting close to what I want.

Mascot & GHG I haven't played any of the ride series yet but I'll likely try Ride 3. Really like they're including real road circuits like Billown, etc. I don't think there is VR support, hasn't been in 1 or 2 and I haven't heard anything on 3.

In RF2 in VR my head position seems really low. I raise the seat height all the way up using the keys I bound to those controls, but it's still way too low. The top of the wheel is normally higher or inline with my eyeline. I try resetting position with the VR headset and it doesn't change anything. It's undriveable for me in VR right now. Everything is perfectly fine in AC. I wonder what's going on in RF2?

If you feel like you're too low then crouch down a bit in your seat (but stay looking forward as you would in your normal position) and press whatever button it is you have assigned as Reset VR position. Then when you sit normally you should be a bit higher than you were before.

You can do the opposite if you feel you're too high in certain cars. I have to do that that for certain open wheelers in AC.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
If you feel like you're too low then crouch down a bit in your seat (but stay looking forward as you would in your normal position) and press whatever button it is you have assigned as Reset VR position. Then when you sit normally you should be a bit higher than you were before.

You can do the opposite if you feel you're too high in certain cars. I have to do that that for certain open wheelers in AC.

Why not just use the driver's eye app in the Assetto Corsa sidebar to adjust your head placement? You can save the position so it'll automatically be correct every time you use the car.
It's rare when I DON'T need to adjust the head position the first time i use a car. I normally glance down to the left and right and use the driver's shoulders to set the head position so that it 'fits' in VR, but sometimes this feels wrong and needs further adjustment.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
For the first time since I placed my order for the Samsung+ (or started thinking about ordering one), I'm actually excited. MRTV said he wanted to publish something before the deals ended (review still coming), so he wrote up a preview of his findings. Pictures look fantastic. It also seems to completely debunk the + is blurrier than the old model. Screens look amazing:)

https://mrtv.co/2018/11/mrtv-prelim...eview-best-current-gen-headset-on-the-market/

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For the first time since I placed my order for the Samsung+ (or started thinking about ordering one), I'm actually excited. MRTV said he wanted to publish something before the deals ended (review still coming), so he wrote up a preview of his findings. Pictures look fantastic. It also seems to completely debunk the + is blurrier than the old model. Screens look amazing:)

https://mrtv.co/2018/11/mrtv-prelim...eview-best-current-gen-headset-on-the-market/

Posted this as a reply in the PCVR thread:

Even after looking at these images I'm still unsure.

Yeh you can't see the SDE but the cost is the fact that the image is softer.

I primarily use VR for sim racing and I hate softer images (assetto corsa competizione I'm looking at you) when in VR which is ironic because I usually don't mind softer images when gaming on the big screen.

I still have a pre-order with B&H but I think time is running out for me to make a final decision on this. The original odyssey is currently $299 on amazon.com which isn't making my decision any easier...

Also I find it difficult to trust MRTV, he comes across as a shopping channel salesman at times (look at his recent Q&A videos) so I'm not sure he's entirely neutral in all of this. I know he said he doesn't take any money from these companies so maybe it's the format of his streams but look at this! :

I'll keep my order because surely the sweetspot isn't smaller than the one on my Lenovo but I'd be lying if I said fitment wasn't a concern. Only one way to find out I guess!

Why not just use the driver's eye app in the Assetto Corsa sidebar to adjust your head placement? You can save the position so it'll automatically be correct every time you use the car.
It's rare when I DON'T need to adjust the head position the first time i use a car. I normally glance down to the left and right and use the driver's shoulders to set the head position so that it 'fits' in VR, but sometimes this feels wrong and needs further adjustment.

I... Never thought of doing that. I assumed that stuff didn't work in VR for some reason. Thanks for the tip.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this as a reply in the PCVR thread:

Even after looking at these images I'm still unsure.

Yeh you can't see the SDE but the cost is the fact that the image is softer.

I primarily use VR for sim racing and I hate softer images (assetto corsa competizione I'm looking at you) when in VR which is ironic because I usually don't mind softer images when gaming on the big screen.

I still have a pre-order with B&H but I think time is running out for me to make a final decision on this. The original odyssey is currently $299 on amazon.com which isn't making my decision any easier...

Also I find it difficult to trust MRTV, he comes across as a shopping channel salesman at times (look at his recent Q&A videos) so I'm not sure he's entirely neutral in all of this. I know he said he doesn't take any money from these companies so maybe it's the format of his streams but look at this! :

I'll keep my order because surely the sweetspot isn't smaller than the one on my Lenovo but I'd be lying if I said fitment wasn't a concern. Only one way to find out I guess!

I... Never thought of doing that. I assumed that stuff didn't work in VR for some reason. Thanks for the tip.

To my knowledge, he doesn't even post affiliate links. So I don't think he's directly making anything off his reviews (good or bad).

I agree about softness. It's why I hate deferred engine UE4 games. What I do want to see for myself, and what I suspect, is you're not actually losing any detail with that filter. Yes you're losing light scatter and noise surrounding each pixel. And in pictures that makes it look softer. But I suspect it's not actually blocking pixels. Just the stray light scatter. Which because of the low pixel density, may make it appear a little softer (at least in video). But no actual detail is being lost between the two (not actual pixel data). So I'm hoping it's actually meaningless with the headset on. All of these flaws get exaggerated through a camera lenses.

Does your PC have strong bluetooth? Or is this simply for racing? My PC's built-in bluetooth and my bluetooth dongle both have terrible range. The + model has a bluetooth receiver built in the HMD. So if you plan on using the controllers, I suspect it'll have a whole lot more reliable motion control if you stick with the + model.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To my knowledge, he doesn't even post affiliate links. So I don't think he's directly making anything off his reviews (good or bad).

I agree about softness. It's why I hate deferred engine UE4 games. What I do want to see for myself, and what I suspect, is you're not actually losing any detail with that filter. Yes you're losing light scatter and noise surrounding each pixel. And in pictures that makes it look softer. But I suspect it's not actually blocking pixels. Just the stray light scatter. Which because of the low pixel density, may make it appear a little softer (at least in video). But no actual detail is being lost between the two (not actual pixel data). So I'm hoping it's actually meaningless with the headset on. All of these flaws get exaggerated through a camera lenses.

Does your PC have strong bluetooth? Or is this simply for racing? My PC's built-in bluetooth and my bluetooth dongle both have terrible range. The + model has a bluetooth receiver built in the HMD. So if you plan on using the controllers, I suspect it'll have a whole lot more reliable motion control if you stick with the + model.

I currently use a Bluetooth dongle which does the job (works well for standard controllers and I can pair the WMR controllers) but I'm also interested to see if Bluetooth being in the headset improves the tracking of the controllers.

I'll mainly be using it for sim racing like I do with my current headset but if the tracking is improved then I'll play a lot more other games in VR. I'll see what I can pick up during the steam sale that's about to start.

TechnicMOC

Oct 28, 2017
Purchased a Vega64 as upgrade to 970 but having doubts leaving Nvidia and switching back to AMD. Any made a similar switch or should Ireturn it and get try get a 1070ti for the similar price?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Purchased a Vega64 as upgrade to 970 but having doubts leaving Nvidia and switching back to AMD. Any made a similar switch or should Ireturn it and get try get a 1070ti for the similar price?
Your Vega64 card is comparable to a GTX 1080 series, sometimes exceeding the Ti version in some game benchmarks.

Unfortunately AMD aren't the greatest when it comes to assisting developers unlike Nvidia; SMS, ISI & Sector 3 have all experienced support issues with AMD so it's going to depend on the sims you play as to the results of how the Vega64 GPU performs.

Th 10XX series are s great choice; I've seen enough of the "my series 20XX GPU has died...again" posts from hardware testers to steer clear of those GPU's and ray tracing is a flop for this series of Nvidia GPU's unless you SLI 2 2080Ti.

Either a 1070Ti or 1080 would be a safe bet if you're not happy with the AMD offering. 1080Ti prices have been on the rise because the 20 series cards are underwhelming.

Last edited:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
hopefully Fanatec learned from Thrustmaster's mistake and don't do a "Ferrari F1 wheel" on this one.
Well, the recent Fanatec McLaren wheel had redundant rotaries that a lot of games don't support, so I hope all functions of this one are. It certainly looks the part.
I doubt I'll be investing as I love my 918 rim, and playing exclusively in VR means that it magically transforms into a Formula rim, or a GT rim, or a wooden Moto-Lita, or a Lego wheel... whatever is shown in the headset, basically. I think the 918 rim is pretty cool looking but TBH it matters not one jot in VR.
**Late edit: to me, IMO**

Last edited: