• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hopefully Fanatec learned from Thrustmaster's mistake and don't do a "Ferrari F1 wheel" on this one.

I have the Ferrari F1 wheel (I actually have 2, the second of which I want to mod but haven't had the time to do so yet) and it has 27 programmable buttons/functions... It's more than enough :)

But if you mean the fake switches on the main face then yes, I agree, hence I want to do a bit of DIY on it to make them real if possible.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I have the Ferrari F1 wheel (I actually have 2, the second of which I want to mod but haven't had the time to do so yet) and it has 27 programmable buttons/functions... It's more than enough :)

But if you mean the fake switches on the main face then yes, I agree, hence I want to do a bit of DIY on it to make them real if possible.
yup, that's what I meant. They licensed and had to make it look like the real deal, why not go all the way and make all buttons work? :) I guess it was going to become too expensive, but I believe the value would be even greater.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
1967 Grand Prix Legends 2.0 for AC is out.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1tdbix7anv93dv0/20181123+AC+1967+GPL2.0+Mod+++install+notes.rar

View the ReadMe for installation instructions.

NOTE ON INSTALLATION OF THE LOTUS 49: You need the original kunos Lotus 49 install file: 1. Extract folders content and texture to your AC install: ...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\ 2. Goto …\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\lotus_49 3. In this folder: Copy the lotus_49.kn5 file 4. Within \cars folder, goto \ gpl67_lotus_49 5. Paste lotus_49.kn5 here!

NOTE ON INSTALLATION OF THE Ferrari 312: You need the Ferrari DLC pack from steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/675590/Assetto_Corsa__Ferrari_70th_Anniversa ry_Pack/
Ferrari 312 install file: 1. Extract folders content and texture to your AC install: ...\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\ 2. Goto: ..\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa\content\cars\ ks_ferrari_312_67 3. In this folder: Copy the ferrari_312_67.kn5 file 4. Within \cars folder, goto \ gpl67_ferrari_312 5. Paste ferrari_312_67.kn5 here!

ac_gpl10.jpg

Last edited:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I thought something was up with the 1967 GPL mod. All the cars have quite jerky tachometers.
Turns out it's a feature that Ilja added automatically to certain cars of that era. It's called an 'impulse tachometer' and is true-to-life of how a lot of tachos operated back then.

impulse tachometer
[′im'pəls tə′käm·əd·ər]
(engineering)
A tachometer in which each rotation of a shaft generates an electric pulse and the time rate of pulses is then measured; classified as capacitory-current, inductory, or interrupted direct-current tachometer.

THIS GUY THINKS OF FUCKING EVERYTHING.
It can be disabled in the custom shader patch/car instruments menu in CM.
Note: quite a few of the '67 cars have flipped/blurry mirrors if using 3D mirrors in VR.

More madness added by the shader patch: the fucking fuel gauge needle reacts to the motion of the car. Crazy detail..!

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I thought something was up with the 1967 GPL mod. All the cars have quite jerky tachometers.
Turns out it's a feature that Ilja added automatically to cars of that era. It's called an 'impulse tachometer' and is true-to-life of how tachos operated back then.
Ever watch the Steve McQueen film Le Mans? The 917 have impulse tachometers.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I may have to try that mod out just to see the little details Ilja added in.
It's bordering on madness what details are being added with the shader patch. True obsessive-compulsiveness. It's fucking mind boggling.
There cannot have been this level of modding for ANY game before, surely?

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Ever watch the Steve McQueen film Le Mans? The 917 have impulse tachometers.
I love that film. It's so fucking bad apart from all the awesome driving footage. They should have just made it as a documentary.
Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans is a much better way to spend a couple of hours.
Random factoid: I was named after Steve McQueen. My parents were big fans.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I love that film. It's so fucking bad apart from all the awesome driving footage. They should have just made it as a documentary.
Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans is a much better way to spend a couple of hours.
Random factoid: I was named after Steve McQueen. My parents were big fans.
I love the film too; the offtrack drama is fine however the cars were the stars. The first word my Grandfather taught me was Porsche so Le Mans was always going to be a film I loved.

Have we got a video? Here is a video of the 1967 GP mod:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame for us VR/shader patch users that the 3D mirrors are broken for so many of these '67 cars. Bazza is a VR/patch user so it's quite surprising that these weren't picked up before release. Apparently the Honda was the only one where the issue was noted and corrected. Your driver's head is also tilted towards the sky in external views for some unfathomable reason.

BTW, if any AC users want slightly better versions of track mods, sign up at http://www.northamericangp.com/ because LilSki has updated a bunch of them for the NAGP racing series and a lot of them aren't available anywhere else.

Last edited:

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully Fanatec learned from Thrustmaster's mistake and don't do a "Ferrari F1 wheel" on this one.
I'm pretty sure Fanatec will never put fake switches on a steering wheel. ;)

Well, the recent Fanatec McLaren wheel had redundant rotaries that a lot of games don't support, so I hope all functions of this one are. It certainly looks the part.
I doubt I'll be investing as I love my 918 rim, and playing exclusively in VR means that it magically transforms into a Formula rim, or a GT rim, or a wooden Moto-Lita, or a Lego wheel... whatever is shown in the headset, basically. I think the 918 rim is pretty cool looking but TBH it matters not one jot in VR.
The 12-way multi-position switches on the new Formula wheel have an additional rotary encoder functionality, meaning that they operate like the ones on the RMcL but also can be put into encoder mode, allowing them to be seen as a standard repeating input in two directions. The 'proper' 12-way mode is something we are pushing however. It works on ACC, iRacing will have it soon.

I don't agree about the physical wheel having no significance in VR. Naturally the visual impact goes out the window, but the feel can be just as important. The 918 is indeed a good multi-purpose rim (it's round, not too big, and not too heavy), but there is a significant difference between using the 918 and something like a Formula Carbon in terms of feel. It's much lighter (and the weight distribution is different), a much smaller diameter, and the ergonomics of the grips are different too. People react to 'hand presence' to varying degrees in VR; those who are sensitive to it will feel a powerful benefit from using a more appropriate wheel.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I don't agree about the physical wheel having no significance in VR. Naturally the visual impact goes out the window, but the feel can be just as important. The 918 is indeed a good multi-purpose rim (it's round, not too big, and not too heavy), but there is a significant difference between using the 918 and something like a Formula Carbon in terms of feel. It's much lighter (and the weight distribution is different), a much smaller diameter, and the ergonomics of the grips are different too. People react to 'hand presence' to varying degrees in VR; those who are sensitive to it will feel a powerful benefit from using a more appropriate wheel.
I must be one of the lucky ones who isn't affected. I bought a BMW GT2 rim, a Formula Carbon rim and the Porsche 918 rim when I got my CSW v2.5 because I thought the differences would matter, even in VR. For several years I'd exclusively been using the Formula rim for ALL cars with my old CSR-E so was convinced I'd miss it for Formula cars at least. It really wasn't the case for me. When I'm driving a variety of vehicles in VR my 918 feels like it shrinks, or grows, or thickens to match what's shown in the headset. It saves a lot of faffing around swapping rims and learning different button layouts - I just wish I'd known this before buying the others, lol.
If I move the driver's view back a long way from the wheel it even feels like I'm reaching and my arms are stretched. They even start to ache..! The mind is a powerful thing.
Edit: IMO.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
The '67 GP mod is legit good IMO. I only drove a few of them on my monitor but I noticed the mirrors being backwards anyways, I imagine that will be fixed.

I caved and bought two more monitors to go on my rig so I will now have triple screens and VR; gotta go pick them up this morning. Hopefully Sim-lab sent me all the hardware way back when I first ordered the extra pieces for my monitor mount. Unfortunately my 1080ti only has two DP outputs so I probably won't be getting G-Sync on all three of them. Hopefully that won't cause a problem. Going to hook one of the side monitors up with HDMI so it won't be as noticeable if I have tearing, etc.

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I'm pretty sure Fanatec will never put fake switches on a steering wheel. ;)
The 12-way multi-position switches on the new Formula wheel have an additional rotary encoder functionality, meaning that they operate like the ones on the RMcL but also can be put into encoder mode, allowing them to be seen as a standard repeating input in two directions. The 'proper' 12-way mode is something we are pushing however. It works on ACC, iRacing will have it soon.
I wish Fanatec would ship to Brazil, though (or even accept my BR card hehe). There are resellers - that I am not sure if they are official or not - and their prices are steep. A direct import could be about 20~30% less, I believe.
Betta, can you confirm if there are official resellers in Brazil?

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I like them more and more as I get used to them. They are noisy but with headphones on I can't really hear them. Think it's because I have the brake pedal set up with a little slack so that's most of it.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I like them more and more as I get used to them. They are noisy but with headphones on I can't really hear them. Think it's because I have the brake pedal set up with a little slack so that's most of it.
Excellent - I remember you feeling a little disappointed when you first got them.
The noise can possibly be dealt with if you can identify and isolate the source.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Cancelled my Samsung Odyssey plus order.

All the noises coming from sim racers on Reddit are not good and BH Photo Video couldn't give me a definitive date on stock so it was an easy decision.

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualrea..._vive_pro_vs_samsung_odyessy_plus_comparison/

https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/a02s79/odyssey_plus_first_impressions/

I'll wait to see what next year brings, especially with Valve's headset on the horizon.

That's a shame but totally understandable. Opinion varies wildly across the web. People either love it or hate it, it seems.
I was looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a shame but totally understandable. Opinion varies wildly across the web. People either love it or hate it, it seems.
I was looking forward to your thoughts on it.

If Samsung actually sold these headsets in the EMEA region then I likely would have bought one locally, been able to try it out and then decide for myself if I want to keep it or not.

But the fact that I have to buy it from America with no warranty and no assistance for any returns (if I need/want to) then... Yeh, when you're reading mixed impressions (and the bad impressions are BAD) then I think it's time to pull out of the gamble.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Fanatec would ship to Brazil, though (or even accept my BR card hehe). There are resellers - that I am not sure if they are official or not - and their prices are steep. A direct import could be about 20~30% less, I believe.
Betta, can you confirm if there are official resellers in Brazil?
I can try to find out for you.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Fanastic! The Reboot tracks are often the best ones to download.

Although I check their website every week, I do miss the occasional update so I am glad to read the tracks are being updated and news ones are being published.
Hockenheim '78 and Osterechring should also be updated on Reboot soon if my sources are correct...

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
The GPL '67 first update is out too:

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/j13m4cjz4058ing/20181125+AC+1967+GPL+2.0++Full+++hotfix+v2.1b.rar

Bugfixes:
- Fixed swapped mirrors
- Improved A-arm fixing points (Brabham, Eagle, Honda)
- Fixed steering wheel position on Honda and Brabham
- Swapped Honda engine sound
- Added shift delays for flappy paddle shifters.

ToDo, mid/ long term:
- Model upgrades for BRM, Cooper and McLaren (quickfix for Mc could be skinning an Eagle)
- LOD's for BT24, Eagle Honda
- Improve sounds

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Not a big deal by any means but Mascot can you check the BRM H16 and see if it will launch in the CM showroom for you? I get an error I've never seen before. Car works in-game fine.

WormNeck

Oct 31, 2017
It's amazing how good the GPL cars are to drive. I've always had fun with the vintage open wheel cars in AC, but these are especially good. Thanks for posting links to all these Reboot tracks Mascot, they're all really fun

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Has anyone been playing KartKraft? I've noticed lots of builds and fixes, I'm curious how things have been since launch. How's the VR?

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
From RD's 'Show Your Cockpit' thread.

The Way Back Machine.
Last winter I decided to resurrect my Grand Prix Legends system after being away from sim racing for more than a decade. I say "system" because I have three computers I built specifically running GPL with three monitors. This worked by networking the three computers and the side computers then switching to "live" replay of the driver (center computer) and to the modified cameras for left and right view. This worked for online races too, though you would take up 3 spots on the grid and people would wonder who the heck L. Eft and R. Ight were.

Utterly awesome.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

So not only is dynamic TOD coming to AC but it looks like we will be getting dynamic weather as well. Brilliant stuff, can't wait.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I didn't research my hardware enough before buying these additional two monitors. I can't handle getting just 60 fps when I have 144hz displays, plus I will have to unplug my VR headset to be able to use the monitor on my desk. :facepalm:

May take them off tonight and return them tomorrow, then order one of those Samsung 49" ultrawide monitors to use instead. I've had too much going on mentally this year and didn't really think this through clearly.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
GHG said:
So not only is dynamic TOD coming to AC but it looks like we will be getting dynamic weather as well. Brilliant stuff, can't wait.
Plenty of lifs in the old engine it seems. More impressed with the modders than UE4!

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of lifs in the old engine it seems. More impressed with the modders than UE4!

I was thinking about it this morning, but Assetto's development being stopped essentially means everyone has a stable build to work around for things like this.

The game is going to have the same kind of legs rF2 does.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about it this morning, but Assetto's development being stopped essentially means everyone has a stable build to work around for things like this.

The game is going to have the same kind of legs rF2 does.
Yep, it's never been healthier. I've got ACC and hear it's pretty crap right now but I never even made it beyond the menus and have no inclination at the moment to actually try driving any cars. I still find AC a far more attractive and exciting proposition.

WormNeck

Oct 31, 2017
Thinking about getting a rig sometime next year and I've looked through most of the options. What's the best route to go down if I'm looking to spend the least amount of cash but get a solid rig that may eventually hold a DD wheel? I'm in the US and it seems like a lot of the rigs are made in Europe, so attempting to find something without insane shipping would be nice.

Leaning towards the Simetik K2 at the moment

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
210 degrees FOV, that's VR I can get behind. Don't want to know the size nor the necessary computing power.
This is also what I always wanted out of games like Forza an Gran Turismo, to be able to use all the buttons in the cockpit, set the traction control to drift mode or change the AWD and suspension setup. Maybe there is a way we're getting that in 20 years even for multiple car brands at home, not just in a manufacturer's showroom.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 NocwmNov update: https://www.studio-397.com/2018/11/roadmap-update-november-2018/

New build fixing existing issues has been released too.

Build 1112
Right before the holiday season, we bring you an update to our build with a few fixes and some new features. We made the following changes:
  • We added the ability to set the maximum steering wheel rotation "in software", even if your wheel drivers don't support that. This is described in more detail below.
  • Supporting this new feature, we added controller profiles for direct drive wheels: OSW SimuCube and SimSteering.
  • We fixed an issue where tyre heat cycle history was not correctly transferred after a driver swap.
  • Support for the Logitech G29 and G920 was added, fixing some long outstanding issues with these wheels.
  • A small loophole was fixed that would allow you to circumvent fixed setups.
Server administrators must update all dedicated servers because we bumped the version number due to small changes in the multiplayer protocol.

GAFChuck

Nov 23, 2017
I installed the good and bad weather suite for AC, and everything works but I can't see raindrops, is that just not in the mod yet or did I screw something up in the install?