• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna cross post this here and the PSVR thread. My Samsung Odysessy+ finally arrived and here's my initial (and maybe only) impressions:

The Good:

- With the built-in bluetooth, the motion tracking is really good. Super impressed by the inside out tracking on this. Don't really play anything that requires behind the back actions, so this would not be a deal killer for me. I could definitely get on board with this inside-out methodology in future purchases.

- Definitely like the controllers with the analog/trackpad combo. No need to compromise with one or the other. Let the user pick.

- The screen is definitely nice vs the stock Vive. Makes me want the Oculus Quest even more (for wireless roomscale and most importantly, media). 4k Youtube videos look real good. Would definitely watch movies this way on a Quest.

- You can still see SDE if you have good eye sight and look for it, but you have to be looking for it specifically. SDE honestly doesn't bother me at all, though, so I do wonder if non-filter (and the elimination of the "haze" effect) isn't the preferable route (with this resolution). The haze isn't really that noticeable, but I do wonder what identical screens would look like in comparison.

- Was impressed by the performance. Sitting in SteamVR, I was getting less latency than my Vive (.7ms vs 1.1ms for the Vive).

The Bad:

- The headphones are pretty bad if you're used to your own with the Vive. I've heard people say they're comparable to the Vive DAS, and if that's the case, I'm glad I never wasted 100 bucks on that. My Grado SR80's aren't exactly luxury, but they're miles beyond this. One of the games I played around with was Tempest 4000 in Virtual Desktop. Hearing Minter's thumping soundtrack and SFX completely neutered made me sad.

- It feels super cheap. The Vive is all plastic, too, but you could seriously bludgeon someone with the Vive HMD. This just feels cheap and flimsy.

- The ergonomics are some Hall of Fame level shit. Where to begin?

- The thing does fit my head. Barely. So I have that over some people. But I have to dial the thing out almost all the way to get it on.

- What in the holy fuck, though. I haven't worn something this shitty since the Sony HMZ-T1. Did they hire the ergonomics guys from that PoS? You truly can't breathe in this thing. It completely cuts into my nose. Like I seriously question whether it's gonna break the skin the way it just claws into my cartilage. The one Youtube video that addressed this said he thought he could mod it by cutting out the rubber, but I don't think that's an option. Cause the rubber crap is just there to prevent your nose from being smashed by the plastic. I've placed my fingers in there and see even the bottom part of my nose is being scrunched by the plastic (no rubber flap is near that).

The most incredible part of this? Nobody seems to even be able to get their face to touch the foam. I sure as fuck can't. I'm a good quarter inch away from my face making contact with it. And my nose is still being mutilated inside this tiny ass nose compartment. This was the same issue with the infamous Sony HMZ-T1.

Who was this designed for? 10 year old Asians with a nose that barely existed.

No modding is going to help here, either. Because just pushing this thing far enough away (manually holding with hands) to stop the nose from being mutilated means the optics are completely out of focus at that distance.

The thing just mystifies me. Feels like my eyeballs a fraction away from the lenses... yet my face is a 1/4 inch away from any of the face foam. And the nose, as noted above, is just smushed to fuck. That's an equation that blows my mind. 1 + 3 shouldn't exist if it's literally impossible for my face to touch the foam. Baby's first HMD. I guess.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Luckily I upgraded to a 1440p 120hz monitor few days ago, but no matter what settings I throw at it, Paul Ricard is a shimmering arse of a track. Nurburgring and Misano are far more pleasing to the eye thankfully.
Nice upgrade. How does rF2 look and run at 1440P on your current hardware?

Perhaps take a look at the Gamer Muscle video as he shows his ACC settings a few times. That said, Paul Ricard is an eyesore and highlights the current issues with ACC if not running at 4K.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna cross post this here and the PSVR thread. My Samsung Odysessy+ finally arrived and here's my initial (and maybe only) impressions:

The Good:

- With the built-in bluetooth, the motion tracking is really good. Super impressed by the inside out tracking on this. Don't really play anything that requires behind the back actions, so this would not be a deal killer for me. I could definitely get on board with this inside-out methodology in future purchases.

- Definitely like the controllers with the analog/trackpad combo. No need to compromise with one or the other. Let the user pick.

- The screen is definitely nice vs the stock Vive. Makes me want the Oculus Quest even more (for wireless roomscale and most importantly, media). 4k Youtube videos look real good. Would definitely watch movies this way on a Quest.

- You can still see SDE if you have good eye sight and look for it, but you have to be looking for it specifically. SDE honestly doesn't bother me at all, though, so I do wonder if non-filter (and the elimination of the "haze" effect) isn't the preferable route (with this resolution). The haze isn't really that noticeable, but I do wonder what identical screens would look like in comparison.

- Was impressed by the performance. Sitting in SteamVR, I was getting less latency than my Vive (.7ms vs 1.1ms for the Vive).

The Bad:

- The headphones are pretty bad if you're used to your own with the Vive. I've heard people say they're comparable to the Vive DAS, and if that's the case, I'm glad I never wasted 100 bucks on that. My Grado SR80's aren't exactly luxury, but they're miles beyond this. One of the games I played around with was Tempest 4000 in Virtual Desktop. Hearing Minter's thumping soundtrack and SFX completely neutered made me sad.

- It feels super cheap. The Vive is all plastic, too, but you could seriously bludgeon someone with the Vive HMD. This just feels cheap and flimsy.

- The ergonomics are some Hall of Fame level shit. Where to begin?

- The thing does fit my head. Barely. So I have that over some people. But I have to dial the thing out almost all the way to get it on.

- What in the holy fuck, though. I haven't worn something this shitty since the Sony HMZ-T1. Did they hire the ergonomics guys from that PoS? You truly can't breathe in this thing. It completely cuts into my nose. Like I seriously question whether it's gonna break the skin the way it just claws into my cartilage. The one Youtube video that addressed this said he thought he could mod it by cutting out the rubber, but I don't think that's an option. Cause the rubber crap is just there to prevent your nose from being smashed by the plastic. I've placed my fingers in there and see even the bottom part of my nose is being scrunched by the plastic (no rubber flap is near that).

The most incredible part of this? Nobody seems to even be able to get their face to touch the foam. I sure as fuck can't. I'm a good quarter inch away from my face making contact with it. And my nose is still being mutilated inside this tiny ass nose compartment. This was the same issue with the infamous Sony HMZ-T1.

Who was this designed for? 10 year old Asians with a nose that barely existed.

No modding is going to help here, either. Because just pushing this thing far enough away (manually holding with hands) to stop the nose from being mutilated means the optics are completely out of focus at that distance.

The thing just mystifies me. Feels like my eyeballs a fraction away from the lenses... yet my face is a 1/4 inch away from any of the face foam. And the nose, as noted above, is just smushed to fuck. That's an equation that blows my mind. 1 + 3 shouldn't exist if it's literally impossible for my face to touch the foam. Baby's first HMD. I guess.
I'm hoping that there's a big enough shitstorm about the ergonomics (and one is definitely brewing on the horizon) that Samsung totally revise it for a European launch, and that's if they are even planning one in the first place. It sounds like they couldn't have got it more wrong if they tried.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Macau updated on Reboot

20181210.jpg

https://actrackrebootproject.wixsite.com/ac-track-re-boot/macau-guia-circuit

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Who was this designed for?
I'd love to compare the Odyssey+'s screen to my original model... but damn do those ergonomics sound awful. I've a Gerard Depardieu size nose, so I doubt the + would get anywhere near my face sadly.
Nice upgrade. How does rF2 look and run at 1440P on your current hardware?
Not only does rF2 look much better in 1440p, it runs faster too!*

*OK, that's not a complete truth. When I was running my old 1080 ultrawide, I was downsampling from 1620p, so 1440p is a little lighter on the gpu.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping that there's a big enough shitstorm about the ergonomics (and one is definitely brewing on the horizon) that Samsung totally revise it for a European launch, and that's if they are even planning one in the first place. It sounds like they couldn't have got it more wrong if they tried.

I'd love to compare the Odyssey+'s screen to my original model... but damn do those ergonomics sound awful. I've a Gerard Depardieu size nose, so I doubt the + would get anywhere near my face sadly.
Not only does rF2 look much better in 1440p, it runs faster too!*

*OK, that's not a complete truth. When I was running my old 1080 ultrawide, I was downsampling from 1620p, so 1440p is a little lighter on the gpu.

With the light of a new day, I'm going to examine the Reddit mods and see if anything sticks. But I'm not optimistic. I'm fairly certain the reason I had such issue breathing was my big fat nose was bent at a 90 degree angle (so it would fit into the shallow cutout). I'm struggling to see how any mod can fix that (short of pushing it further from my face... which doesn't seem like an option).

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
New AC shader patch release has a couple more GPU optimisations. The last ones were fantastic so am hoping for even more fps gains with these.

x4fabYesterday at 11:56 PM
v0.1.25-preview31

• New GPU optimizations by @henter: deduplicate meshes, separate shadow meshes;
• Tyres FX texture issue fixed again (this time, might be closer to final);
• Weather FX:
• Track heading angle is taken into account;
• Working controller;
• Built-in accurate timezones calculation;
• Sanity check for timezones and coordinates;
• Absorption for moon, stars and planets;
• Issue with black horizon fixed;
• New properties for tracks' material adjustments:
• BLEND_MODE: ALPHA_TEST, ALPHA_BLEND or OPAQUE;
• DEPTH_MODE: DEPTH_NOWRITE, DEPTH_OFF, DEPTH_LESSEQUAL or NORMAL;
• Handbrake bar now disabled by default;
• Small fixes.

Now with mirror link just in case:

https://mega.nz/#!DtoTjSjY!4RREbxpzxt9nHrRANv_dv7ZywsQlxtLh2NXrO3oA2yo

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1hRN9HggS9mqEaJ98Qz383HkJwtD65MO5

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm returning the Odysessy+. Looked at a bunch of the comfort mods and really tried. Only way I can get it free of my nose is to turn the optics into a blurry mess (by being so far away).

In looking at all the mods, I'm really surprised by this remodel. The old model not only had some adjustments in the arm, but with the rubber removed, the nose channel was a lot deeper. Should have bought the old model from Amazon for 299.99 (the tie breaker was the built in bluetooth... since I was thinking of selling the Vive if I liked it). Clearly a mistake on my part.

Speaking of the Vive, the Odysessy+ definitely resolves more resolution with the higher resolution screens, but I just played my Vive and I honestly prefer the IQ over the + (even when my nose is smushed and the optics are clear with the +). I am no fan of this SDE filter. The Vive is significantly more sharp and clear in comparision. I know Valve patented an SDE filter a while ago, but I hope they don't go this route if they release an HMD. There's no magic and I'd much prefer clarity over "hiding" the SDE. At > Vive/Rift resolutions, it's splitting hairs anyway. Not worth the sacrifice IMO.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Interlagos GP 2018 v.1.0
patrikpat's version of the 2018 Brazilian F1 track - Interlagos Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace, based on the work of the acu team.

IMPORTANT INFO.
This track will only work with STFLOW-SHADER - install with Content Manager:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/stflow-shader.161360/

https://mega.nz/#!8RQXla5D!BczYOgLfYX-KnzOW7zdgg-I0xSe42bE4ND6_Eplm_QI

Screenshot-10-12-2018-7-22-41-PM-50.png
Note, the track works without ST-FLOW but you won't get the animated billboards, jumbotrons, tickers etc.

This is easily the best version of Interlagos for AC.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interlagos GP 2018 v.1.0
patrikpat's version of the 2018 Brazilian F1 track - Interlagos Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace, based on the work of the acu team.

IMPORTANT INFO.
This track will only work with STFLOW-SHADER - install with Content Manager:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/stflow-shader.161360/

https://mega.nz/#!8RQXla5D!BczYOgLfYX-KnzOW7zdgg-I0xSe42bE4ND6_Eplm_QI

Screenshot-10-12-2018-7-22-41-PM-50.png

Thanks for sharing, I've been looking for a good version of Interlagos for god knows how long.

I'm returning the Odysessy+. Looked at a bunch of the comfort mods and really tried. Only way I can get it free of my nose is to turn the optics into a blurry mess (by being so far away).

In looking at all the mods, I'm really surprised by this remodel. The old model not only had some adjustments in the arm, but with the rubber removed, the nose channel was a lot deeper. Should have bought the old model from Amazon for 299.99 (the tie breaker was the built in bluetooth... since I was thinking of selling the Vive if I liked it). Clearly a mistake on my part.

Speaking of the Vive, the Odysessy+ definitely resolves more resolution with the higher resolution screens, but I just played my Vive and I honestly prefer the IQ over the + (even when my nose is smushed and the optics are clear with the +). I am no fan of this SDE filter. The Vive is significantly more sharp and clear in comparision. I know Valve patented an SDE filter a while ago, but I hope they don't go this route if they release an HMD. There's no magic and I'd much prefer clarity over "hiding" the SDE. At > Vive/Rift resolutions, it's splitting hairs anyway. Not worth the sacrifice IMO.

That's a shame although not going to lie it makes me feel better about cancelling the order I had with bhphotovideo. Would had been a nightmare if it didn't fit me correctly or if I ended up hating the SDE filter solution (which from looking at images I guessed I would have).

Let's see what 2019 brings. I'm hopeful of Valve's headset and the Oculus Rift S. Whatever I get next has to be inside-out tracking though.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Factor 2
A new challenge is arising. rFactor2 will bring you fresh cars to experience the ultimate dynamic simulation. Welcome the
@Porsche
911 GT3 R soon, incl. the new shaders as well! And of course, it will need some tough challengers alongside...stay tuned

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My Rift tracks fine - do you just want a neater (less hardware) solution?

Yep, the tracking for my Lenovo works really well so I'd rather stick to a similar setup to the one I have now rather than have to place objects around the spare room and have wires going to them.

The controller tracking could be better but then I don't play many games that require the controllers with the headset (maybe I would if the tracking was better..?).

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Factor 2
A new challenge is arising. rFactor2 will bring you fresh cars to experience the ultimate dynamic simulation. Welcome the
@Porsche
911 GT3 R soon, incl. the new shaders as well! And of course, it will need some tough challengers alongside...stay tuned

So far s397 has announced:
  1. Portland International Raceway (supposed to come out November)
  2. Reiza pack (supposed to come out August)
  3. Nurbergring (Q2 2019?)
  4. Formula E, 2nd generation (no date given)
  5. The above Porsche (soon)
  6. New UI (Q1 2019)
  7. Competition system (Q1 2019)
  8. 6 Tautus' (end of 2019 I think)
And it all slips and slips. I wish they'd keep their cards closer to their chest(s) and only announce things once they're able to lock down a release date.

I'm too excited to wait!!!

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
The Reiza DLC is down to Reiza taking way too long to QA their stuff. Tracks take an age because of a lack of staff..aren't two people full time track artists?

The porsche uses the latest shaders.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I'm out. ACC deleted. I'll redownload once v1.0 is available, but there's just too many graphical issues for me at the moment.

Now to redownload AC and try all these cool shaders that you guys have been talking about... :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm out. ACC deleted. I'll redownload once v1.0 is available, but there's just too many graphical issues for me at the moment.

Now to redownload AC and try all these cool shaders that you guys have been talking about... :)

Have you just tried the new build? Is it somehow... Even more blurry?

Iracing just sent me a 3 month renewal offer code at 25% off so I think I'll grab that and enjoy the Ferrari 488 GT3 in crystal clear VR there :)

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Iracing just sent me a 3 month renewal offer code at 25% off so I think I'll grab that and enjoy the Ferrari 488 GT3 in crystal clear VR there :)
The new dynamic time of day and weather system are really something. It's a wonderful feeling driving under a cloud, with the track plunged into darkness, juxtaposed against distant terrain baked in sunlight.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The new dynamic time of day and weather system are really something. It's a wonderful feeling driving under a cloud, with the track plunged into darkness, juxtaposed against distant terrain baked in sunlight.

I'm looking forward to trying it out along with the new "free" tracks.

Although I'll need to kick my bad habit of using shadows as brake markers :/

GAFChuck

Nov 23, 2017
Does anyone know of a decent C5 Corvette mod for AC? It's literally the only generation I don't have. I only have a C5R.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know of a decent C5 Corvette mod for AC? It's literally the only generation I don't have. I only have a C5R.
I don't think one exists. The only one I have is the C5R as well.
If there's one in FM7, Horizon or GT Sport then it'll probably come. There's a project going on to bring all GTS cars to AC.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Another GT3 coming to rF2. This time the M6!

I get the feeling this pack will be out before Christmas. rF2 will soon have quite the GT3 field.

QSNw1Q3.jpg

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
A few seconds before I turn in for the night, S397 announce the 3rd car from their GT3 pack. The Audi R8.

One more announcement to go I think. 488 perhaps? And maybe PBR shaders for xmas?

DuZF0ZKXQAEzLMw.jpg:large

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Keep it up S397!

The new Heusinkveld Sprint pedals sold out within minutes this morning. I was going to try and get a set but I will wait until later I guess.

GAFChuck

Nov 23, 2017
This is a long shot, but does anyone know if it's possible to edit a car's sound so it can be heard from further? I hate getting passed by a super loud 90's F1 car, and as soon as they get 50m away from me it's completely silent, completely breaks the immersion.

Edit: For AC of course.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Are you allowed to express opinions there..?
;)
Yep. Alan is a good guy running an 100% indie website, YT channel and forum. It's an echo chamber at present which is really sad as Alan works his arse off and completely revamped the website and forum. I'd rather post over there than here at present however I'd likely be talking to myself and a few of his staff writers.

This forum looks great on a tablet and shithouse on a desktop or laptop monitor as there is so much wasted space (unless I'm missing something in the settings).

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
https://actrackrebootproject.wixsite.com/ac-track-re-boot/oesterreichring1979

Oesterreichring Grand Prix Circuit 1979 Version 1.0

- 1979 GP Circuit - 2 Layouts - Chicane & No Chicane
- Mirrored Trees Fixed and correct shading applied
- Grass and terrain blended better
- New road surface detail shader's tweaked
- Dynamic groove added
- Crowds updated
- Shader's tweaked across the board
- Added Physics mesh - With added bumps on inside corner runoffs (Textures tweaked to reflect the bumps)
- Working start lights
- Performance tweaks - Dip is pretty good for offline racing now

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Rather incredibly, after days of crunching and optimising, Sol runs more efficiently than default Kunos 'weather'.
It's enough to anger the Gods.