• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
After watching some of the recent F14 Tomcat videos, I've thought about trying out a couple of flight sims but I don't think i want to open that can of worms. Sim racing and the related hardware can be frustrating enough at times already, lol.

Moss

Oct 27, 2017
Well... At least you can use your driving pedals for the rudder control, that will save some money and time. ;)

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Sim-Era, I barely race these days. I'll be back on track come February though. For the time being it's all about learning how to pilot the A-10C in DCS World. Man this machine is tough to learn. Something like 600 controls and it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to switch the damn thing on.

I go in and out of phases between racing and flight-simming. Some months I'm just more in the mood for one over the other. Even between flight-sims, I got between WW2, general avaition and modern fighter jets. It can be a bit much remembering all the details and differences in procedure etc. but so much fun to learn (and, invariably, re-learn).

After watching some of the recent F14 Tomcat videos, I've thought about trying out a couple of flight sims but I don't think i want to open that can of worms. Sim racing and the related hardware can be frustrating enough at times already, lol.

Do it! As with sim-racing, you can start off small without too much investment (and then go just as crazy later on ;)).

On a sim-racing note, I've just fired up the old rig again after a long time and realised that the URD GT500 Nissan GT-R has been updated to V2. After shitting on it in this thread before as one of the most disappointing mods ever, I can finally say they nailed it with this new update. I didn't even get an email about the update (maybe in junk), so definitely seek it out if you haven't already.

Then, go and download this mod, which adds some GT500 pals to play with. The car-models are based on the GT3 Honda and Lexus, and they're not quite as grippy as the URD to drive (although perfectly serviceable and fun in their own way), but are tweaked so laptimes are near identical to the URD; great for AI races. n.b I kept URD physics for the Nissan too.

Someone on RD made a great Super GT GT500 career mod as well, using the above cars; found here

URD are apparently working on the Lexus and Honda GT500s, and Mitja is doing Motegi IIRC, so here's to finally having a full, proper Super GT in AC

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry Sim-Era, I barely race these days. I'll be back on track come February though. For the time being it's all about learning how to pilot the A-10C in DCS World. Man this machine is tough to learn. Something like 600 controls and it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to switch the damn thing on.
I was given a Nintendo Switch for Xmas so all of my time has been spent playing it.

It turns ot the Switch is an amazingly portable gaming machine.

Dijital_Majik - Thanks for the update on the URD GT500 Nissan GT-R. Trying to keep track of updates to various paid mods has become a pain in the arse. URD have been terrible at communication until recently and I completely missed the update too.

URD are slowly updating their rF2 mods by issuing drop box link notifications on FB and on the official rF2 forum however it would be far easier to have the mods updated on Sellfy as a complete package.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
I've been thinking about getting into flight sims sometime this year, nice to know some folks here play them.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So last week I impulse bought the game "Everspace" in the Steam Sale after a friend told me how good it is. Turns out it really is amazing and I've been playing non stop... Anyway... You can unlock cholor schemes for your ship and there's 3 different layers that you can set individual colors... While playing around with the settings last night I ended up with a GULF space ship by accident haha

IKXCxE9.jpg

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna lie, it was the F14 video that finally sold me on DCS (if you can be sold a 'free' game). Seems that it'll be quite some time before the final version is released, so I decided to tackle the A-10 in the meantime. And yes, I've already been fallen into the flight sim equipment hole. Currently $600 deep!

Though I've ditched VR and am looking around the cockpit using a cheapy PS3 camera and face tracking software.
I go in and out of phases between racing and flight-simming. Some months I'm just more in the mood for one over the other. Even between flight-sims, I got between WW2, general avaition and modern fighter jets. It can be a bit much remembering all the details and differences in procedure etc. but so much fun to learn (and, invariably, re-learn).
I kinda wish I went for the Spitfire over the A-10. Seems a lot easier to learn.
I was given a Nintendo Switch for Xmas so all of my time has been spent playing it.
Niiiiiice.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, it was the F14 video that finally sold me on DCS (if you can be sold a 'free' game). Seems that it'll be quite some time before the final version is released, so I decided to tackle the A-10 in the meantime. And yes, I've already been fallen into the flight sim equipment hole. Currently $600 deep!

Though I've ditched VR and am looking around the cockpit using a cheapy PS3 camera and face tracking software.
I kinda wish I went for the Spitfire over the A-10. Seems a lot easier to learn.

So I'm guessing DCS is kind of like Raceroom where I can download it and there are a couple of free planes to try out? How hard is it to get into? I'm tempted to try it out to give me something new to help take my mind off of real life.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I see that there are rumours that FormulaE gen 2 may drop in rFactor2 'soon'. I fucking love FormulaE, but it seems like quite the waste or resources. rFactor 2 is somewhat limited in its number of quality tracks and FormulaE isn't going to help. FE cars/circuits don't really suit traditional cars/circuits so there won't be much crossover and instead of having too few tracks for endurance racing, we'll have too few quality tracks for endurance racing AND FormulaE.
So I'm guessing DCS is kind of like Raceroom where I can download it and there are a couple of free planes to try out? How hard is it to get into? I'm tempted to try it out to give me something new to help take my mind off of real life.
Yup. Two planes and one map to get you started.

If you're interested, most of the DLC is currently 50% off in their winter sale... not sure when the sale finishes though. If you go with the Steam version though you won't be able to participate in any betas. Only the non-Steam version downloaded from Eagle Dynamics' gets all the early access stuff.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I see that there are rumours that FormulaE gen 2 may drop in rFactor2 'soon'. I fucking love FormulaE, but it seems like quite the waste or resources. rFactor 2 is somewhat limited in its number of quality tracks and FormulaE isn't going to help. FE cars/circuits don't really suit traditional cars/circuits so there won't be much crossover and instead of having too few tracks for endurance racing, we'll have too few quality tracks for endurance racing AND FormulaE.
The Formula E car and single track are the 2 regrets I have with rF2 DLC. I probably used the DLC for an hour before it lost my interest. Where are the other tracks we were promised for the FE DLC?

IMO, S397 needs to focus on releasing tracks used by the series they've released cars for, not more niche DLC. It really feels like S397 have a 'to-do' list a mile long and S397 randomly select items to complete and release.

I'd rather S397 get the UI and new shaders done, fix the wet weather and other long standing issues ( which could be sped up by adding more beta testers) and then look at track packs to go with exisitng car packs. The rF2 community was excited when Sebring was released, how about a quite a few more quality tracks to go with the existing cars!

In other news, SMS are said to ne releasing a console and licencing their Madness engine: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...pers-making-own-console-the-mad-box/#comments

163293.jpg

Last edited:

Dijital_Majik

Oct 27, 2017

I think warbirds are perfect to learn flying; simple enough to pick up, and enough systems to manage that make you feel busy and involved.

Spit is great, though you do have the Tf-51D for that warbird feel. If you don't want to shell out for the DCS Spit, try IL2 Cliffs of Dover It has all the detail, some would argue more, at a much lower price (was half price in stem sales last week though). The campaign is great as well.

I don't have the A-10, but have heard nothing but praise from those who went and learnt it all. You got this!

Oh, and Mascot I tried out that Limerock you posted; It's really an amazing mod. I signed up to iRacing about 7 years ago primarily because of that track, and sending the MX-5 cup around it last night brought all those memories back. Thanks for sharing that!

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
The Formula E car and single track are the 2 regrets I have with rF2 DLC. I probably used the DLC for an hour before it lost my interest. Where are the other tracks we were promised for the FE DLC?

IMO, S397 needs to focus on releasing tracks used by the series they've released cars for, not more niche DLC. It really feels like S397 have a 'to-do' list a mile long and S397 randomly select items to complete and release.

I'd rather S397 get the UI and new shaders done, fix the wet weather and other long standing issues ( which could be sped up by adding more beta testers) and then look at track packs to go with exisitng car packs. The rF2 community was excited when Sebring was released, how about a quite a few more quality tracks to go with the existing cars!
Well put.

In other news, SMS are said to ne releasing a console and licencing their Madness engine: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...pers-making-own-console-the-mad-box/#comments

163293.jpg
So, SMS are making a games console to take on Sony and Microsoft. I'm not even joking.
What the hell are they thinking? Does anyone outside the racing community even know their company's name?
I don't have the A-10, but have heard nothing but praise from those who went and learnt it all. You got this!!
I'm getting there, I know most of the cockpit controls now. What an amazing machine this is!

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I thought this thread was very quiet, but ti turns out my 'watched threads' notification wasn't working (same thing happens at RD - anyone else?). I did wonder why nobody had mentioned the SMS oddbox, turns out TJP already had..!

I cannot believe Ian Bell is serious. I'm convinced it's some weird publicity stunt but cannot for the life of me work out why. Who publishes renderings of the finished form three years in advance, and that's ignoring how goddamn fugly and impractical it looks? Why on earth would ANYONE want to enter the console race against established and deep-pocketed leaders, especially where many others have tried and failed so catastrophically? It makes absolutely no sense.

AQSmPLj.jpg

Last edited:

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
So, SMS are making a games console to take on Sony and Microsoft. I'm not even joking.
The jokes about SMS releasing a console full of issues then releasing a few patches before dropping all support and moving onto console version 2.0 are alive and well across the internet.

I think SMS are making a mini PC that'll run the Madness engine well in VR. I cannot see any company outside of the three major players going anywhere other than a footnote on Wikipedia.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Fat-Alfie, the author of the excellent Feldbergring and Thomson Road circuits is working on another great vintage circuit called Deutschlandring. Here's a lap of the WIP version. I'm not sure when it will be released, but you can follow updates on the WIP thread on RaceDepartment.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Fat-Alfie, the author of the excellent Feldbergring and Thomson Road circuits is working on another great vintage circuit called Deutschlandring. Here's a lap of the WIP version. I'm not sure when it will be released, but you can follow updates on the WIP thread on RaceDepartment.

It's a fantastic track. I've had an early build for about six months or so but he'd pretty much abandoned the project, so i was thrilled to get an update last week. It's looking quite close to completion now.

Even more exciting (I think) is his Fonteny track, which is like a French Nordschliefe. It's huge, and is an absolute blast to drive in all sorts of cars. Development of this one is still in its early stages but should be picked up again when Deutschlandring is complete. The layout is complete and it's perfectly driveable with a physics mesh, but trackside detail is currently lacking. It's a whole ton of fun.

Last edited:

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Mascot I got a copy of Fonteny back in November but only had a chance to spin a couple laps. Things came up and I wasn't able to get back into my rig until shortly after Christmas. I'm going to jump back onto Fonteny soon, it's an amazing circuit. Fat-Alfie has impeccable taste in tracks and the talent to bring them to fruition. Very thankful for modders like him as I'm a sucker for old school circuits.

Try Deutschlandring in the 962C, she'll go under 3 minutes around there and the first woods section seems like it's all happening at warp speed!

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Be aware, the shader patch might not show up in your 'mods' page but it is there and is active.

We now have cool-down laps!

x4fabToday at 3:05 PM

v0.1.25-preview36

• Brand new system of hooking to AC structures, allowing for greater control, thanks to @henter!
• New optimizations by @henter:
• Multithreaded loading (be careful, there might be a chance it would cause AC to crash on some systems);
• Multithreaded culling;
• New AI race cooldown lap option by @henter;
• Option to turn on YEBIS anti-aliasing (smoother, but with its own artifacts);
• PP-filters:
• New [EXT_HDR] FILMIC_CONTRAST=0.5 option for sensitometric tonemapping function;
• Set color look up table in your PP-filter;
• Color grading: HaldCLUT support;
• New replays extension:
• Saving and loading, supporting cutting as well;
• Works with turning signals, hazards and wipers;
• Audio:
• Option to fix stereo in VR;
• Option to fix shifting sound with frequent shifting;
• More joke than option to enable sound delay with distance;
• New splashscreen option to fit background instead of filling the screen;
• Dashboard indicator EMISSIVE_ENGINE_DAMAGE_N;
• New FALLBACK_BRAKES_COLOR_HIGHER option for lights so FALLBACK_BRAKES_COLOR would act on top of main color;
• Custom emissives now override emissives from lights.ini if mesh is affected by both at once;
• Adjustable wings guessing disabled, now only outputs lines to guessed config;
• New ksPerPixelMultiMap_NMDetail_emissive shader;
• Parameter boh now hides grass if set to 1;
• Other fixes.

Sorry for the delay and for all new bugs that might appear, please let us know if something will get broken. As for Weather FX, with new replays system ready, now it's only a couple of days or so for it to be ready for the release.

https://mega.nz/#!q9wmTCbI!ufGIYfstK32_gjqTgOAY9W_UAVtEFN6qvY5_iQtrnOQ
https://trello-attachments.s3.amazo...d82d8d1d09/lights-patch-v0.1.25-preview36.zip

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Mascot I got a copy of Fonteny back in November but only had a chance to spin a couple laps. Things came up and I wasn't able to get back into my rig until shortly after Christmas. I'm going to jump back onto Fonteny soon, it's an amazing circuit. Fat-Alfie has impeccable taste in tracks and the talent to bring them to fruition. Very thankful for modders like him as I'm a sucker for old school circuits.

Try Deutschlandring in the 962C, she'll go under 3 minutes around there and the first woods section seems like it's all happening at warp speed!
Will do!

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
AC shader patch preview 40 solves the glitches that came with recent builds. Try enabling all the new CPU/GPU optimisations and marvel at the multi-threaded lightning speed load times and framerate gains. Total wizardry.

x4fabToday at 3:16 AM

v0.1.25-preview40 • Freezing on exit fixed; • Multithread loading now supports NVIDIA cards properly; • RAM consumption by extra replays data is fixed; • Loading screen fixed; • Weather FX: fixed reflections in mirrors, other improvements; • New YEAR_PROGRESS input for track conditions (0 for first of January, 1 for 31 of December, for upcoming Weather FX). Links: • https://mega.nz/#!ikJFia7L!5LdqnRjV7-kU1VkrVoxKW0rcYa5_dBFHe5DiehHzjxIhttps://trello-attachments.s3.amazo...eb8a524422/lights-patch-v0.1.25-preview40.ziphttps://trello.com/c/f7hnjXJs/40-v0125-preview40

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
Bit of a random question- For the next few months my racing PC needs to do double duty as my everyday PC. With my desk and rig being a distance away from the other, I'm planning on using USB/HDMI extension cables to connect the rig. Is latency an issue here with the extra length of the extensions?

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a random question- For the next few months my racing PC needs to do double duty as my everyday PC. With my desk and rig being a distance away from the other, I'm planning on using USB/HDMI extension cables to connect the rig. Is latency an issue here with the extra length of the extensions?
Electricity travels rather quickly mate..!

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I've just noticed on the Assetto Corsa Competizione roadmap that the price will rise to 44.99 euros in a couple of days. If you wish to get it for cheap, now's the time.

I'm not gonna lie though, not impressed with it so far. (My issues are mainly with how poorly suited the Unreal Engine seems to be for sim racing.)

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I've just noticed on the Assetto Corsa Competizione roadmap that the price will rise to 44.99 euros in a couple of days. If you wish to get it for cheap, now's the time.

I'm not gonna lie though, not impressed with it so far. (My issues are mainly with how poorly suited the Unreal Engine seems to be for sim racing.)
I paid £11 and still regret it.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I paid £11 and still regret it.
Gents, I don't believe you are alone in your thoughts.

Add me to the list of unhappy ACC owners. I think the screenshots are sublime however the in-cockpit graphics make me want to stop driving after a few laps with Paul Ricard being the worst example of ACC as it is a jaggie mess.

Cockpit aside, right now AC offers the better around experience with or without the shader mods.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Gents, I don't believe you are alone in your thoughts.

Add me to the list of unhappy ACC owners. I think the screenshots are sublime however the in-cockpit graphics make me want to stop driving after a few laps with Paul Ricard being the worst example of ACC as it is a jaggie mess.
Indeed. Outstanding graphics for stills and replays, but terrible cockpit IQ.
  • Jaggies everywhere and turned up to 11 at Paul Ricard
  • Trees that are constantly and obviously switching lods. Very noticeable at the Hungaroring and I'm going to guess Zolder will be worse.
  • Tree shadows disappear momentarily during lod switch. Very noticeable at the Hungaroring and I'm going to guess Zolder will be worse.
  • No proper triple screen support (doesn't affect me, but I'm annoyed on behalf of those that do)
  • No SLI support (doesn't affect me, but I'm annoyed on behalf of those that do)
All of which are Unreal Engine issues and no fault of Kunos (I think?).

Hopefully they'll return to an in-house rendering soloution for AC2.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
I don't regret buying ACC as I got it on day 1 for $24, but I've only played for maybe an hour or 2 total over the first couple days. The button bindings and VR issues put me off and I decided to wait a while until development comes along further. Still haven't booted up again as AC is still giving me everything I want, with some RF2 and AMS thrown in.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
If we're talking of regrets, for me it's the purchase of PC2 + Season pass on both Xbox then PC. Both at full price. I was satisfied with it on Xbox and got ~250 hours out of it, but once I got the PC I quickly realized (the day I bought the PC and about an hour after buying PC2 again) that practically every other sim on PC was much better than PC2. I figured I'd boot it up again for the graphics and VR experience, but it's not been the case and I only have ~3 hours on PC with it.

When Ian Bell started his rabitting on in December I got turned off the company and franchise and decided to submit a Steam request for refund. I didn't expect an approval and didn't get one, but I wanted to try haha. I think the only game that could potentially replace AC for me as my main sim would be a new offering from Reiza and AMS with good VR support.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
rF2 updates:

McLaren 720s GT3
v1.21
  • Added McLaren Shadow liveries.
  • Minor improvements to the livery material settings.
Porsche 911 GT3R
v1.17
  • Revisions to in-car dash/HUD.
Audi R8LMS GT3
v1.07
  • Fixed reversed oil and water temps in the in-car HUD.

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
  • Trees that are constantly and obviously switching lods. Very noticeable at the Hungaroring and I'm going to guess Zolder will be worse.
  • Tree shadows disappear momentarily during lod switch. Very noticeable at the Hungaroring and I'm going to guess Zolder will be worse..
  • The trees shadows spin too!

Also, here's another video (not mine) showing the terrible aliasing at Paul Ricard. Ewwww.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
There clearly needs to be a lot of work done in ACC to get the graphics up to par; Paul Ricard makes my eyes bleed.

rF2 preview of the Formula E car..

50268549_2198553456862221_5153892907601625088_o.jpg

I wonder if S397 will release more than one car and one track this time.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Betta Lines thought I'd post this here initially to hopefully get your insider perspective rather than creating a bunfight at RD. My CSWv2.5/Porsche 918 RSR rim combo has developed some 'play' at the rim/base interface where it used to be a rock-solid mount. It's only a millimetre or two but does translate to quite an annoying 'rattle' during some FFB action. The wheelbase spindle still seems solid - the movement seems to be at the QR, which can be 'rattled' independently with the rim off the wheelbase. Is there anything I can check for tightness and adjust, or (god forbid) shim to eliminate the rattle?
Ta muchly.