• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Betta Lines thought I'd post this here initially to hopefully get your insider perspective rather than creating a bunfight at RD. My CSWv2.5/Porsche 918 RSR rim combo has developed some 'play' at the rim/base interface where it used to be a rock-solid mount. It's only a millimetre or two but does translate to quite an annoying 'rattle' during some FFB action. The wheelbase spindle still seems solid - the movement seems to be at the QR, which can be 'rattled' independently with the rim off the wheelbase. Is there anything I can check for tightness and adjust, or (god forbid) shim to eliminate the rattle?
Ta muchly.
Mascot You could check the tightness of the bolts on the inside of the base-side QR as well as the ones on the inside of the wheel-side QR. Depends how much use the base has, but replacing the o-ring might help. If you're still getting a rattle then I would reach out to support.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
They don't, I'm referring to the bolts near the pins that are visible/accessible inside the shaft of the quick release. There are five on the base side, and four on the wheel side.
Quite a few of those bolts did need tightening but that wasn't the source of the loose fit unfortunately. Maybe I do need a new o-ring. You don't happen to know the spec, do you? I don't really fancy buying a couple from Fanatec for a few Euros each then paying €20 for postage... ;)

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Some rF2 Reiza pack news.

Sadly I can't recall where I read this earlier today (perhaps Racedepartment?), but Reiza apologised for the delay to their rF2 pack and stated it's because they're adding S397's new PBR shader tech to their content... which is nice.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Some rF2 Reiza pack news.

Sadly I can't recall where I read this earlier today (perhaps Racedepartment?), but Reiza apologised for the delay to their rF2 pack and stated it's because they're adding S397's new PBR shader tech to their content... which is nice.
That explains the complete lack of updates & testing to their rF2 package from Reiza since late November of last year. Shame everything Reiza does takes so damn long!

Edit: the actual link: https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/reiza-studio397-rfactor2.3962/page-5#post-38524

S397 should hire the Reiza track artists to add more tracks into rF2 as I don't believe the Reiza 2017, 2018 or 2019 sim will be released anytime soon.

Last edited:

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Today.

Sol1_0_release.jpg

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
It's the new dynamic weather system from Peter Bose that uses Ilja's new WeatherFX shaders - not heard of it? 24 hr cycles, localised fog, weather generated from atmospheric and environmental conditions, seasons, precipitation, frost, changing grass textures etc etc.

WeatherFX is the new Shader/modul, which will deliver all functionality to use the new features like 24h cycle, moon, stars, new sky Shader, sky color gradients, new clouds Shader and many more. Ilja will do a basic implementation, which is like a template to see all functions. Sol is just an advanced usage of WeatherFX with its own special functions like dynamic weather change and easy custom weather creation. If WeatherFX is out, every programmer can use it to create own weather systems...

So Sol will be the successor of the whole gbw stuff.

Last edited:

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Mascot I just did a Track Day using CM on the Nordschleife using GT3 cars. Around the time the 2nd lap began, most of the cars would just stop and sit on the track, causing massive pile ups. I'd go around it and up the road there would be a random car just sitting on the track. Have you had that issue before?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
It's the new dynamic weather system from Peter Bose that uses Ilja's new WeatherFX shaders - not heard of it? 24 hr cycles, localised fog, weather generated from atmospheric and environmental conditions, seasons, precipitation, frost, changing grass textures etc etc.
I remember posting the video you just did ages ago..but couldn't remember what the hell SOL is/was.

I'm always amazed at what the modders are doing to AC - it's like rF1 all over again!

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I remember posting the video you just did ages ago..but couldn't remember what the hell SOL is/was.

I'm always amazed at what the modders are doing to AC - it's like rF1 all over again!

Just tried Sol. It's amazing, and beautiful. Set time to 60x to get a good quick day-night transition.

So I'm a little out of the loop....Sol is the one to get for dynamic weather/time of day, etc stuff?

Yep!

Mascot I just did a Track Day using CM on the Nordschleife using GT3 cars. Around the time the 2nd lap began, most of the cars would just stop and sit on the track, causing massive pile ups. I'd go around it and up the road there would be a random car just sitting on the track. Have you had that issue before?

Yes, it can be an issue with large tracks at the moment until it's fixed. I get this on LA Canyons using AI flood.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
There's been a shader patch update to preview 42 to fix a few things:

https://discordapp.com/channels/453595061788344330/453615474710675537

v0.1.25-preview42 • New functions for Weather FX, for checking which post-processing options are active; • Weather FX: option to make sun move by its original AC trajectory if date is not set, enabled by default; • Weather FX: option for switching your headlights automatically, disabled by default; • Tyres FX: set custom surface type for different tracks to fix guessing; • Crash with Caterham Academy is fixed; • Crash with disabled particles is fixed.

Links: • https://mega.nz/#!vhhRBaTA!fUb6MSI2cgCkbh_UsLTUzWQyOOh0sJFd6n8h1AuPfvwhttps://trello-attachments.s3.amazo...b1c795216e/lights-patch-v0.1.25-preview42.ziphttps://trello.com/c/QUfeQtPy/42-v0125-preview42

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
So, it seems ACC tracks are already being extracted and converted to AC. Laser-scanned Zolder incoming...

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. Outstanding graphics for stills and replays, but terrible cockpit IQ.
  • Jaggies everywhere and turned up to 11 at Paul Ricard
  • Trees that are constantly and obviously switching lods. Very noticeable at the Hungaroring and I'm going to guess Zolder will be worse.
  • Tree shadows disappear momentarily during lod switch. Very noticeable at the Hungaroring and I'm going to guess Zolder will be worse.
  • No proper triple screen support (doesn't affect me, but I'm annoyed on behalf of those that do)
  • No SLI support (doesn't affect me, but I'm annoyed on behalf of those that do)
All of which are Unreal Engine issues and no fault of Kunos (I think?).

Hopefully they'll return to an in-house rendering soloution for AC2.
I've been complaining about the trees on Kunos' forums for a couple of months now and despite there being a perfectly good fix, they never responded. Anyway, here's the fix: In AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini,

Add the following

[SystemSettings]
foliage.LODDistanceScale=5

LOD switching is 5 times further and I no longer notice the switch, even when I'm trying to actively seek it.

Now if only someone could fix the AA...

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I've been complaining about the trees on Kunos' forums for a couple of months now and despite there being a perfectly good fix, they never responded. Anyway, here's the fix: In AppData\Local\AC2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini,

Add the following

[SystemSettings]
foliage.LODDistanceScale=5

LOD switching is 5 times further and I no longer notice the switch, even when I'm trying to actively seek it.

Now if only someone could fix the AA...
Thanks for the fix! AA still makes the sim look like pig on a lipstick. Ironic that it wasn't long ago we were taking the piss about rF2 still requiring players to dig into the player.json file to fix issues.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017

It really is!

Bty Mascot, in shader mod, there were some fps optimisation switches wasn't there a update ago... whereabouts / what are they? :)

I *think* they're in settings/shader patch/general (not at my rig right now).
'CPU/GPU optimisations'
Just tick them all and benchmark. Some are experimental, some had issues (now resolved).
Faster loading, better fps... what's not to like?
YMMV (depends on your GPU/CPU/gfx settings) but I gained over 20fps. Can hot lap at native 90fps in the Rift now.
Night performance with them on is better than day performance with them off. Quite amazing.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I was messing with Sol on my 49" screen and my FPS had definitely increased over the previous GBW/shader patch etc. I was quite shocked to say the least. Amazing what they are doing with AC.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
I updated my shaders patch and installed Sol this morning. I did an 8 lap race @ 60x time progression around Deutschlandring to simulate a 24hr race. Very cool and it worked flawlessly. Especially impressive for initial release.

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
I was messing with Sol on my 49" screen and my FPS had definitely increased over the previous GBW/shader patch etc. I was quite shocked to say the least. Amazing what they are doing with AC.
It's quite remarkable, isn't it? My FR has gone through the roof recently with all the CPU/GPU optimisations, and Sol.

'Windy' is my favourite weather. Those moody storm clouds juxtaposed over the blue sky. Gorgeous.

Talking of blue skies, the Sol beta 3 has deeper blue for skies now and it looks frukkin' amazing.

DrPenguin

Aug 12, 2018
I did a couple more 60x sessions at Laguna and Knutstorp. I've only tried broken clouds and light thunderstorm so far and both looked good. The sunset/rise at Laguna is stunning.

Anyone have suggestions for other circuits with a spectacular sunrise/set?

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
You can overtype the time multiplier up to 3600x if you like for some crazy time lapse acceleration.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I've got some sort of issue with AC. Worked fine last night; nothing has updated, changed, unplugged, PC hasn't been off. Go into a race tonight and none of my controls work. Nothing. I can still use the keyboard and exit out but none of the driving controls work. All the inputs show to be working in the settings menu though. What the fuck?

Mascot

Oct 26, 2017
Can happen occasionally Dave. I had to remap/recalibrate my controls a few months ago for no good reason.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I did switch to one of my other control presets so I could use the sequential stick so maybe that's what happened. Never had it do this before so maybe I just need to remap everything.

GAFChuck

Nov 23, 2017
I'm trying to run a custom championship with Sol installed, and I can't race at nighttime, it's locked between 8am and 6pm, is there any fix for this?

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Blah blah blah, UI, blah blah blah, competition, blah blah blah shaders... the January Roadmap for rFactor 2 is here: https://www.studio-397.com/2019/01/roadmap-update-january-2019/ (Why do they name these after the previous month? Always feels like I'm reading the wrong page)

The most interesting announcement in this roadmap was that of the awesome Lester track being brought over as official content. The modder went radio silent in August and we all thought the project was done for. Seems as though he was updating the circuit with the new PBR shaders and rain tech. Can't wait!

WormNeck

Oct 31, 2017
Been going back and forth on some rig upgrades for a few months now, figured I'd ask here.

Currently have a TSPC Racer and CSL LC pedals. Would like a round rim but don't want to further get stuck into the TM ecosystem. Is it worth selling the TSPC Racer and upgrading to the CSW2.5? DD isn't in my future so the 2.5 is my endgame option.

I sold a guitar that was collecting dust and can basically sell my TSPC for the CSW 2.5, BMW Rim, McLaren rim, shifter and mounts and still have a few hundred left over for a rainy day. I've been planning this for a few months and now that I've got the funds I'm starting to second guess everything.

Would appreciate any advice

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Blah blah blah, UI, blah blah blah, competition, blah blah blah shaders... the January Roadmap for rFactor 2 is here: https://www.studio-397.com/2019/01/roadmap-update-january-2019/ (Why do they name these after the previous month? Always feels like I'm reading the wrong page)
Don't forget this exciting news too:

Latest GT3 Challengers Pack Updates!
Aston Martin Vantage GT3​
v1.31​
  • Added new teams and liveries.
  • Added templates fully set up for the new material editor
Audi R8LMS GT3​
v1.21​
BMW M6 GT3​
v1.15​
McLaren 720s GT3​
v1.27​
Porsche 911 GT3R​
v1.23​

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
Been going back and forth on some rig upgrades for a few months now, figured I'd ask here.

Currently have a TSPC Racer and CSL LC pedals. Would like a round rim but don't want to further get stuck into the TM ecosystem. Is it worth selling the TSPC Racer and upgrading to the CSW2.5? DD isn't in my future so the 2.5 is my endgame option.

I sold a guitar that was collecting dust and can basically sell my TSPC for the CSW 2.5, BMW Rim, McLaren rim, shifter and mounts and still have a few hundred left over for a rainy day. I've been planning this for a few months and now that I've got the funds I'm starting to second guess everything.

Would appreciate any advice
The jump in quality from Thrustmaster to Fanatec is very noticeable. Since purchasing a CSW2.5 18 months ago, I've had no desire to upgrade further. For me, it's all about the pedals anyway.

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen such unanimous negativity from core fans in an official news thread. Hopefully S397 take note and spend a couple of weeks fixing their bugs.
I understand most of it - the UI has taken an age to be completed, the AI, rain, pitstops, tyre model, visual and modelling issues, bugs and glitches remain to be addressed, the seemingly random approach to DLC - 'hey fans, we have Formula-E gen 2 coming...but don't ask about the series tracks though as we have a fantasy one for you!' all adds up after a while.

We crucify other devs for their releases shortcomings and never corrected issues so it's about time S397 got on with the job of fixing what's broken by them AND ISI before releasing more 'nearly there but not quite ready' DLC packs.

It's hard to remain enthusiastic at times.

Edit - does anything ever get QA tested anymore? - "Looks like we have some reports of crashing on the new build when mixing some content - we are working on it right now and appreciate the feedback!!" - rFactor 2 FB page post.

https://www.facebook.com/rFactor2/posts/2220115274706039

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
We crucify other devs for their releases shortcomings and never corrected issues so it's about time S397 got on with the job of fixing what's broken
Their silence on the topic is deafening.
Edit - does anything ever get QA tested anymore? - "Looks like we have some reports of crashing on the new build when mixing some content - we are working on it right now and appreciate the feedback!!" - rFactor 2 FB page post.

https://www.facebook.com/rFactor2/posts/2220115274706039
Seems to have been fixed. But yeah, how does this get through QA?

TJP

Oct 27, 2017
Their silence on the topic is deafening.
Seems to have been fixed. But yeah, how does this get through QA?
I am really deflated by the devs inability to sort their priorities out. S397 have worked magic at first but I'm wondering if the initial goodwill has worn off.

Everything boils down to making commercially viable decisions and I doubt S397 are burning excess money to stay warm. I hope the decision to license the physics to make the Grand Tour console game adds a revenue stream so rF2 can get much needed fixes done rather than rely on expensive DLC packs which vary in quality and performance.

Last edited:

omegasc

Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Don't blame the QA team! Sometimes the urgency/pressure to releasing something just leaves little room for thorough testing. And sometimes "this fix was just a small thing, it should not affect anything else" happens with literally last minute changes, and someone decides to sign off. (QA professional here LOL)
I am inclined to believe they had to support Amazon Games a little more than anticipated.